Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts (9199 Views)

Dear PMB, Fighting Corruption Is Not A Fiscal Responsibility, By Tony Osborg / CCT Chairman, Danladi Umar Sued Over Money Laundering, Bribery / Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Pukkah: 7:37am On Aug 01, 2012
Five Abuja-based lawyers on Tuesday dragged President Goodluck Jonathan before an Abuja Federal High Court over what they described as his failure to set a limit for consolidated debt of the federal, state and local governments, in line with the Fiscal Responsibility Act.

The lawyers, Aja Nwani Aja, Lawrence Ogbonna Ukpai, Kingsley Osaigbovo Obue, Adaobi Chioma Peace, Best Owie and Abdulmumuni Mohammed Tahir, listed the President Federal Republic of Nigeria as the defendant in the suit.

The plaintiffs averred that by virtue of Section 42 (1) of the Fiscal Responsibility Act, 2007 and pursuant to the provisions of item 7 and 50 of part 1 of the 2nd Schedule to the Constitution, the President is mandated to within 90 days from May 29, 2011, set overall limits for the amounts of consolidated debts for the three tiers of government.

They maintained that the House of Representatives on March 27, 2012 had passed a motion urging Jonathan to implement section 42 (1) of the Fiscal Responsibility Act.

As a result of the President’s inability to comply with the constitutional provisions, as well as the legislator’s motion, the plaintiffs asked the court to declare that Jonathan is in breach of the Oath of Office of the President.

The plaintiffs further asked the court to hold that Jonathan is duty bound to comply with the laws of the country.

They also asked the court to compel him to comply with the said laws concerning consolidated debt.

In a 19-paragraph affidavit deposed to by Aja, the plaintiffs said that the defendant swore to uphold the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to discharge his duties in accordance with the Constitution and the law.

The noted that by the tenets of constitutional democracy and the rule of law, the President has a sacred duty to uphold the provisions of the law.

The plaintiffs averred that on July 30, 2007, the defendants’s predecessor, Umar Musa Yar’adua signed into law the Fiscal Responsibility Act, and that as at the time the said Act was signed into law, the defendant was the vice president of Nigeria.

Furthermore, they held that the Fiscal Responsibility Act was enacted to provide prudence and enhance probity in fiscal matters in the country.

They held that pursuant to the provision of the Act, the President was supposed to set overall limits for the amount of consolidated debt of the three tiers of government, not later than 90 days from the commencement of the Act.

The plaintiffs also noted Yar’Adua did not set the overall limits as provided for the law, and that Jonathan had 90 days from the date of his inauguration on May 29, 2011 to set the overall limits as stipulated by law.

Aja said, “I know for a fact that the defendant has not complied with the provision of the act in this respect.

“The House of Representatives on March 27, 2012 passed a motion urging Jonathan to implement section 42 (1) of the Fiscal Responsibility Act.

“The defendant ignored, refused and failed to implement the provision of the Act and that as it is, there is no statutory ceiling to the amount any tier of the government in Nigeria can borrow.

“The absence of a statutory ceiling for borrowing negates one of the principal objectives of the Fiscal Responsibility Act, which is to enhance the prudent management of the nation’s resources.”

“Implementing the provisions of the Act will engender fiscal discipline and promote a healthy economic environment in Nigeria.”

They also maintained that the suit was in the interest of justice and the rule of law.

The Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala had in Abuja on April 11, 2012 reportedly put the nation’s total debt stock at $44bn.

The breakdown shows that $5.9bn is external debt, while domestic debt is N5.6tr.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/lawyers-sue-jonathan-over-fiscal-responsibility-act-rising-debts/
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by moderatorr: 2:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
lol
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by 27naira(m): 2:48pm On Aug 02, 2012
moderatorr: lol

funny is it? i don't think so
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by chucky234(m): 2:49pm On Aug 02, 2012
More drama awaits Nigerians,can't stop laughing
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 02, 2012
Wetin consign me? undecided
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Super1759: 2:54pm On Aug 02, 2012
Who are this ones seeking public notice?
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Pukkah: 2:58pm On Aug 02, 2012
On the face of it, it is not wrong to borrow. But it is criminal to borrow money and fritter it on nonsense or inanities.

The debt profile of Nigeria has gone up by over N1.2trillion within one year of President Jonathan's administration. Can someone please point to the specific and tangible projects for which the loans have been used?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by uncleb(m): 3:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
[q
Super1759: Who are this ones seeking public notice?
chucky234: More drama awaits Nigerians,can't stop laughing
uote author=moderatorr]lol [/quote]

My people its not funny at all. I dont want us to view it as a comedy.

You see, our leaders are taking advantage of the masses' ignorance, coupled with the cursed and corrupt judiciary.

A friend has always told me that our country would change only when we hold govt to ransom for not doing what they are supposed to do. He fondly use the terminology Nigerians are not litigious.

You see in civilized society, such courses are taken against govt at every level for failure to comply with statutory requirements and that's why things are working there

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by alaoeri: 3:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
GEJ is being attack from all angle. Chai!
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by ifihearam: 3:05pm On Aug 02, 2012
Jobless charge and bail lawyers. Mtchewww. Eedddiioootsss
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by ifihearam: 3:07pm On Aug 02, 2012
uncleb: [quote author=moderatorr]lol

My people its not funny at all. I dont want us to view it as a comedy.

You see, our leaders are taking advantage of the masses' ignorance, coupled with the cursed and corrupt judiciary.

A friend has always told me that our country would change only when we hold govt to ransom for not doing what they are supposed to do. He fondly use the terminology Nigerians are not litigious.

You see in civilized society, such courses are taken against govt at every level for failure to comply with statutory requirements and that's why things are working there

Abeg u go find sh*t sidon put jare
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Aug 02, 2012
I hope we are not going to get another one one if his "I don't give a damn" rebuttals to this. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by ariy(m): 3:13pm On Aug 02, 2012
chucky234: More drama awaits Nigerians,can't stop laughing
lol
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Pukkah: 3:20pm On Aug 02, 2012
ifihearam: Jobless charge and bail lawyers. Mtchewww. Eedddiioootsss

How do you know they are jobless? Even if they are, is joblessness a crime? Or is their 'joblessness' not happening under the reign of your master and principal? Tell me one thing that they have they done wrong as citizens. Rather than resort to insulting them, why not tackle the issues or give an alternative option that they could have taken instead of going to court?

As oil prices decline and inflationary pressures build up in the country, should government spending and borrowing patterns not be of interest to every intelligent and patriotic Nigerian? Or do you want this man to bankrupt the country? OUR country?

When people riot or protest, the cronies of the government complain that the people are not civilized. Now that they have gone to court you have branded them as 'eeddiioootsss' and 'jobless' since you coud not refer to them as 'Boko Haram' or describe them with some other tribalistic appellation.

Or would you rather have everybody become deaf, dumb and blind just to satisfy you, yet you don't want the military to return. So how would these people ever satisfy you?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by erniok(m): 3:20pm On Aug 02, 2012
berem: Wetin consign me? undecided
E no concern u now but fast forward 20 yrs later, it'll concern not only you but ur kids inclusive.

@topic: GEJ had better sit up and not allow us toe the line of greece.
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by DExplorer1: 3:24pm On Aug 02, 2012
ifihearam: Jobless charge and bail lawyers. Mtchewww. Eedddiioootsss
LOL. Only PUKKAH can dig this out. Like post like him.

You Need To Read These! Why He Hasn't Proposed

After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by maclatunji: 3:27pm On Aug 02, 2012
alaoeri: GEJ is being attack from all angle[b]s[/b]. Chai!

He is failing from many angles as well. He should wake up!
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by nomshu(m): 3:30pm On Aug 02, 2012
is a super storyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! May them kill the man na.
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by jjason123: 3:30pm On Aug 02, 2012
It is the Yoruba and Hausa-Fulani's fault! angry angry angry wink . . . so 'they' say
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Pukkah: 3:33pm On Aug 02, 2012
D-Explorer:

LOL. Only PUKKAH can dig this out. Like post like him.

Why go personal? Personal attack shows the lack of power of reasoning. Insult is the manifestation of cluelessness. Abuse is the evidence of ill-breeding and ignorance.

I will not retaliate your bad manners. However, I hereby extend an open invitation to you to debate with me intelligently based on this thread. I am waiting.
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by fankasibe: 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2012
Trully dis lawyers av got their rights to sue GEJ but he should be respected as president.
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by uncleb(m): 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2012
[quote author=ifihearam][/quote]

Everybody knows your antecedents. I wont waste my precious time on people like you. Do i even refer to you as a "peop
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by gawk: 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2012
@ifihearam Jobless charge and bail lawyers. Mtchewww. Eedddiioootsss[/quote]

u just one of those frustrated Nigerians running ur mouth like a moroon
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 02, 2012
Long story...simply say the lawyers are looking 4 a way to get their 'package'
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Aug 02, 2012
Pukkah:

Why go personal? Personal attack shows the lack of power of reasoning. Insult is the manifestation of cluelessness. Abuse is the evidence of ill-breeding and ignorance.

I will not retaliate your bad manners. However, I hereby extend an open invitation to you to debate with me intelligently based on this thread. I am waiting.

You don't say!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by pembisco(m): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2012
Aswear d kind money dis pple deh loot 4 dis contri heh,if we pakage ol putam 4 their frnt heh,they go faint shap shap aswear! Na because they deh see d amount of d money 4 paper,dts y they neva stot 2 loot! Wetin com hapn 2 d 1tr they boro on our behalf?

1 Like

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by olu4life(m): 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Disappointed at the way some Nigerians are viewing this. Most Nigerians are so clueless. Must u attribute this kinda thing as wanting publicity? It is their right and they know what they are doing. From my angle,it is so good cos i believe its a way to keep the government on check and balances. From the content of the report,they mean no harm to the President but rather notifying him on the errors he is making

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by theplanmaker: 4:01pm On Aug 02, 2012
The situation of the country saddens all of us, but these lawyers are trying to correct things in the little way they can but Some of us still have the guts to insult them and call them "jobless". The question is who is really jobless? The lawyers fighting for their country (with the law suit) or those who fight with their keypad on nairaland cursing the president to no avail? Who is more effective?we shud actually be hoping that they pull through with this........our attitude in this country is what fuels corruption

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by 2mch(m): 4:03pm On Aug 02, 2012
Good, Nigerians are waking up. This is fresh air and due process. cool
Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by SkyBlue1: 4:03pm On Aug 02, 2012
Hmm. I like this. This is good and healthy for our democracy and I hope they can go some way with it. But the president has immunity and the issue being addressed is what the legislative should be pressuring the executive on, these are serious oversight duties. All this focus on budget implementation to me sounds too much like 'release money for contract', and unfortunately I have lost a lot of confidence in the house and that is how I see their current focus. But this call though, is note worthy.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts by Gbawe: 4:03pm On Aug 02, 2012
Pukkah:

Precisely. The other thing you need to know about most GEJ fans on NL is that they are the most emotional, petty and paranoid creatures existing. Very poor examples of men if you ask me. In fact, I suspect most of them suffer from PMT 24/7.

Like market women, they prefer attacking personalities dramatically instead of addressing the issues at hand which ,ultimately, is not the making of any of us on Nairaland. Imagine a scenario where the President himself, unforced, made a pledge that the Boko Haram menace would end by June. When this broken pledge is now highlighted here as a failing of an inept President, all the childish brats supporting GEJ can do is to attack other Nairalanders with insults. They do this in a desperate and frustrated effort to mask the fact that others got it right by stating empathically that GEJ is a failure.

@Topic.

Lets just say that GEJ's fiscal irresponsibility and poor management of Nigeria's wealth is best described as the regretable folly of putting a drunkard in charge of a drinking bar.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Davido For Pdp 1 Million March In Osogbo(photos) / Why Is This Man So Powerful In APC Yet So Quiet? / Etekamba Umoren: Newly Appointed REC From Akwa Ibom Won’t Be Sworn In Now —INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.