Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips (91482 Views)

Ican Past Question And Answer - Download / Common Interview Questions And What They Mean / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by toygod2: 9:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
nyc
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Jarus(m): 9:46pm On Apr 03, 2013
Abbey2sam:
And who told you its not copy and paste??
Copied from where?
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by sixteen08(m): 10:01pm On Apr 03, 2013
Jarus:
Copied from where?

I don't tink d person is gonna have an answer for that.....we'll always have fool.s amongst us trying to be a wrench in the wheel of progress..... undecided

Oga jarus I go like to read more young and successful Bios cheesy grin.
*You are doing a great job even with your busy schedule.... you are truly a blessing*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by opsonJ(m): 10:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
nic write up.But pls,what about if asked:for how long will you wish to work with this company?or if u get a better offer from another company,wil u honour it?pls,likely answers
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by obdon: 10:03pm On Apr 03, 2013
Nice one bro!!!! cryNice one bro!!!!
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by fkaz(m): 10:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
Thumb up
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by zubino(m): 10:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
Guy, nice one. I love ur write up. I wonder what a good man will do that evil men will not take offence from. Haters pls skip this write up, its not for u. Some nairaland members will definitely excel in future interviews through this work. Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 03, 2013
God bless you more and more
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Jarus(m): 10:11pm On Apr 03, 2013
sixteen08:

I don't tink d person is gonna have an answer for that.....we'll always have fool.s amongst us trying to be a wrench in the wheel of progress..... undecided

Oga jarus I go like to read more young and successful Bios cheesy grin.
*You are doing a great job even with your busy schedule.... you are truly a blessing*

Yeah, stay close to the blog. I will be featuring the youngest Partner in PwC soon.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Ibehdonl(m): 10:11pm On Apr 03, 2013
Keep quiet mzfancy and abbey.dis write-up is magnificient and helpful.pls J,i saved d page sharp sharp!
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by siddiq202(m): 10:17pm On Apr 03, 2013
Jarus:
Copied from where?
I've realised that it's better to ignore such comment
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by olawalebabs(m): 10:19pm On Apr 03, 2013
jarus, just as i do say not everybody deserve your comment. Let them keep displaying their ignorance.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by sixteen08(m): 10:20pm On Apr 03, 2013
opson J: nic write up.But pls,what about if asked:for how long will you wish to work with this company?or if u get a better offer from another company,wil u honour it?pls,likely answers

An interview is not a mechanical process...its psychological I.e you need to be able to discern what the interviewers want to hear and you dish out your answers along the lines of the preparations you've done.
Back to your question,I don't advise you tell them your gonna bail out on them if a better offer comes your way and also you don't tell them you don't plan on staying long with them because that could spell doom for your chances of getting the job. The reason why they ask where you see yourself in the next 5-10yrs,your career objectives and why you wanna work with them is to enable them identify if your ambitions and aspirations are in line with theirs because that would go a long way in showing if you are just trying to pass time with the org,trying to source for the highest bidder in the labour market or you are just out there to make a living(no org wants that).
Summary: do your resaerch very well and know what the organisation wants
Consult wide(google,friends,company's website etc) and build your answers to suit your life story and CV(make it true even if its a lie)
Think very well well because the H.R. pple no b mumu

*sorry 4 my typos no time to proofread*

2 Likes

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by sixteen08(m): 10:25pm On Apr 03, 2013
Jarus:

Yeah, stay close to the blog. I will be featuring the youngest Partner in PwC soon.

Will be waiting
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by borie4u(m): 11:03pm On Apr 03, 2013
suraj how far now. dre do weddin u no show face.well how things now.still remember all does write up at rabah in sokoto.dont hav ur contact again o.so inbox me
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 03, 2013
Jarus:
6, What are your weaknesses? I remember an interview I did with an investment institution in late 2006, my first interview experience, just few weeks after finishing university. I had read a lot about interviews (that was basically what I spent the most of my final year doing) and known that you don’t say you don’t have any weakness. My response to that question was:

The basic principle in answering this kind of question is, don’t say you don’t have weakness, tell your weakness and make it known you are working on it. Also, ensure it’s a weakness that is tolerable. God help you if you say your weakness is sleeping on duty.

Nice piece Jarus. This is great basis for every job candidate. It should be noted that as this will not go directly with all job roles, it is definitely a basis (Template) for organizing oneself during job interview.

I have an addition per the above quotation....The principle behind answering question of weakness is all about trying to turn your weakness to strenght as stated by duality. Jarus's example clearly exhibited this but his explanation on working on your weakness and "tolerability" can be disastrous because the tolerance of interviewers are different.

From my experience, I remembered been asked same question.... which I answered by saying I ask too much questions until I am crystal clear of things.

2 Likes

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by callher(m): 11:14pm On Apr 03, 2013
smileyOn point. Thanks for the nugget
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by SOLARPOWER1(f): 11:24pm On Apr 03, 2013
Thanks Jarus, this article is an eye opener
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
kobikwelu: Look guys, it depends on the job....
If its a technical job, most often than not, generic useless questions like, "tell me your strengths, your weaknesses" yada yada yada... are never even broached...

In the IT fields (6-10 years experience)....you get asked questions based on your CV in relation to the job description.

Most starters are like
"Tell me about your experience and past projects..."

and then from there, the recruiters proceed to fire serious minded questions....
The assumption is made that if you are good enough to work .....they expect all those skills to come with the package...

As for entry level (0-3 years)...they mostly still skip the useless skills and strenghts questions...

they prefer to test you by giving you some kind of simple scenario to test your basic troubleshooting skills and how you react under pressure...in addition to adding some basic knowledge questions in your choosen career path and some trick questions. In this interview, they want to see potential.....

This is my experience from recruiters in the US, maybe the Nigerian system offers something else

As you wrote above....It all depend on the job and also who is interviewing you. But believe me all interview starts MOSTLY with the questions outlined by Jarus no matter how technical it is. The ability to answer these question will definitely put you on track in navigating most questions from an interviewer.
All these questions are applicable to all cadre: experienced, intern and recent graduates.

Can you kindly expantiate on the ...."the recruiters proceed to fire serious minded questions"? This is because in my own view, these serious minded questions will in one way or the other still fall under the ones outlined by Jarus. It will always be about your STRENGHT, ACHIEVEMENT AND CAPABILITY.

Do not forget that this write-up is about interview and not tests.
In addition this is based on experience from interviewers from 6 countries US inclusive.

Good luck!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by alphaconde(m): 11:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
I have to comment so that I can retrieve this post anytime
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by seyibrown(f): 2:26am On Apr 04, 2013
Nice one, Jarus! grin

Your interview is the opportunity to sell yourself for the job. Be expressive! Let your body language confirm what you are conveying in words, but don't overact. Let your interviewers feel they can read you like a book (that you are not hiding anything that would make them not rule you out for the job), unless you are applying for a 'James Bond' position grin! Make them feel at ease! They won't forget you!

..... and when you get the job, give your best, develop yourself, be the best!
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by gunner4life(m): 2:49am On Apr 04, 2013
[quote author=MzFancy] Yea I second u on dat,very very boring writeup.some pple can lyk to show demselves,D guy wnt make we knw sey he be big shot.Go sleep,empty barrel. The both of u are dumb a$$ fellows! By ur comments we know u angry[quote author=MzFancy] Yea I second u on dat,very very boring writeup.some pple can lyk to show demselves,D guy wnt make we knw sey he be big shot.Go sleep,empty barrel. The both of u are dumb a$$ fellows! By ur comments we know u
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Immortal1(m): 3:07am On Apr 04, 2013
So basic & on point. Thanks, Jarus.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Cupidkc(m): 4:21am On Apr 04, 2013
nice write up i must say....though u didnt answer the question of wia do u c urself in d nxt 5years
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Mustay(m): 7:29am On Apr 04, 2013
Abbey2sam:
And who told you its not copy and paste??

When you see someone writing in the first person, "I" it is quite easy to bust any plagiarism offence(s) - why not first copy and paste some keywords to check the authenticity

Abbey2sam: You could have made it short nah........

First to comment though

Dancing ghanian acclaimed dance

Azonto
Hope they don't make your interview short. Except you're going for Nigerian Idol, they probably may tell you to dance azonto out of the audition.

I think such threads that are not news items should be allowed to germinate to a certain level before getting to FP so that @%#&$& category of people don't get to ruin it or think twice when they've seen it's not a 'junior' thread.

duality:

Having read the above, I remembered reading this one below.

now what do you think
You don't want to wash your dirty linen at the market square. The case study of Jarus showed how he turned the -ve to an asset. If the 'perfectionist' answer is trite, perhaps Google had been feeding the troll!!!

We are all unique, we also have our differences thus, one can use the weakness question to show why s/he is the way s/he is - that way, there is a |_| but you make them see the |+| in it. That way, there is a 'benefit' from the cost!

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by ngolieze22: 7:40am On Apr 04, 2013
Bookmarked!
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by fitzmayowa: 7:50am On Apr 04, 2013
Nice write up...GOD bless you jaru

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Jarus(m): 7:55am On Apr 04, 2013
seyibrown: Nice one, Jarus! grin

Your interview is the opportunity to sell yourself for the job. Be expressive! Let your body language confirm what you are conveying in words, but don't overact. Let your interviewers feel they can read you like a book (that you are not hiding anything that would make them not rule you out for the job), unless you are applying for a 'James Bond' position grin! Make them feel at ease! They won't forget you!

..... and when you get the job, give your best, develop yourself, be the best!

Yeah, body language is very, very important. If you just stay disinterested like a log wood or too nervous, even good answers will be diminished in value.
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Jarus(m): 7:56am On Apr 04, 2013
borie4u: suraj how far now. dre do weddin u no show face.well how things now.still remember all does write up at rabah in sokoto.dont hav ur contact again o.so inbox me

Sorry my bro.

Let's start here: jarushub@gmail.com
Re: Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips by Jarus(m): 7:57am On Apr 04, 2013
Cupidkc: nice write up i must say....though u didnt answer the question of wia do u c urself in d nxt 5years
I did. Someone asked on the thread. Flip to page 1.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Highest Paying Federal Government Jobs In Nigeria & Salaries / Know The Officer Ranking Of The Nigerian Army / What My Younger Brother Did With Car Tires (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.