Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Holy Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Spirit (2082 Views)

God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 1:43am On Apr 03, 2008
Holy spirit is the active force of God which is basically the operating system in every christian; My question is, are there any other form of holy spirit seen in other religions like The Great Religion, Buddhism etc? What do they call their own holy spirit or is the holy spirit solely given to only christians?
Re: Holy Spirit by Witness(m): 2:04am On Apr 03, 2008
Needlelady:

Holy spirit is the active force of God which is basically the operating system in every christian; My question is, are there any other form of holy spirit seen in other religions like The Great Religion, Buddhism etc? What do they call their own holy spirit or is the holy spirit solely given to only christians?

Hello please , kindly note that the Holy Spirit is not a force, (This is not Star Wars please)

1. The bible makes it clear that the Holy Spirit is the Third Person in the Trinity
2. The bible also makes it clear the the Holy Spirit has a Name, just like Jesus Christ (The Second Person of the Trinity) has a name

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Thank you
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 2:18am On Apr 03, 2008
Hello please , kindly note that the Holy Spirit is not a force, (This is not Star Wars please)

1. The bible makes it clear that the Holy Spirit is the Third Person in the Trinity
2. The bible also makes it clear the the Holy Spirit has a Name, just like Jesus Christ (The Second Person of the Trinity) has a name

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Thank you
Because the holy spirit is a third person in the trinity does not preclude it from being a force of God. Sometimes you people over read that bible to the extent of getting confused. Elaborate on holy spirit and your thoery of trinity please since you seem to have an indepth knowledge of them.
Re: Holy Spirit by olabowale(m): 1:14pm On Apr 03, 2008
@Witness and needlelady:
Quote from: Needlelady on Today at 01:43:25 AM
Should you not include in the list of religions, Judaism? Afterall Chrisianity was primarily an extension of it before it sheared off, away from it without any true reminant remaining or carried along. Or are you saying that in Judaism, there is Holy spirit, in the manner that the Christians have?

If holy spirit is the active force of the christian god concept, what is the role of father and son god(s)? Then why is father always the one being prayed to, in stead of holy spirit? Even the son god prayed to father god, begged father god, teached and recited/said prayer to father god, committed his spirit (as a man) to father god, asked why father god forsook him, etc. But yet he did all of this without any referrencing or acknowledgement of the holy spirit. Why?

Whats the name of the holy spirit? I need a proper name, please. Like Jesus is the proper name of your son god. Like yahweh is what you say the proper name of your father god, even though when you praise him, you never once say yahweh ya or ya Yahweh, but always say Alley lu ya! Why?

And what does third means? That the whole body system is singular or plural, more than One?
Re: Holy Spirit by Witness(m): 1:29pm On Apr 03, 2008
asked why father god forsook him

Another fufillment of Old Testament prophecy,

Old Testament

Psa 22:1 <To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.> My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

New Testament Fufillment

Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Re: Holy Spirit by olabowale(m): 2:02pm On Apr 03, 2008
@Witness: From all the questions that I asked, you only saw a need to respond to just that littliest part? Omoya, thats weak. But while Jesus fulfils, from your own words, the Psalm part of the OT, is it not in the same lamentation mindset as David's in the first place? A prophet acting and immitating an earlier prophet? But the christians call David an adulterer, a murderer!

But David never went against the Old Testament laws, specifically the 10 Commandments. Did Jesus go against it, making himself another god, carry the office of equality and partnership, imagery, and soship of the True One God? Could you, considering the multiplicity of First, second, and third person godship of Christianity really have a True One God? Especially when you say that father is separate, son is separate and holy spirit is separate? And I asked, what is the proper name of the holy spirit? You avoided it like a plague!

O KARE. Gbere. Maje ki won gbo o nibadon.
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 3:46pm On Apr 03, 2008
fact please WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?

Mybe Immanuel?

mybe Gabriel?

this is just an example ok
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 5:28pm On Apr 03, 2008
fact please WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
Holy spirit(an invisible form of God).
Re: Holy Spirit by PastorAIO: 6:28pm On Apr 03, 2008
His name is Spiritus Sanctus the third (no less)
Re: Holy Spirit by contra(m): 6:43pm On Apr 03, 2008
This is my own understanding of the person of the HOLY GHOST; He is the 3rd person of the GODHEAD, He is a Person and He's got a Personality. I can go on and tell you a thousand and one things about the HOLY GHOST, the fact still remains; IF YOU ARE NOT BORN AGAIN( Your mind renewed), YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND. It's given to the regenerated mind to understand.
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 6:44pm On Apr 03, 2008
By Olabowale,
Should you not include in the list of religions, Judaism? Afterall Chrisianity was primarily an extension of it before it sheared off, away from it without any true reminant remaining or carried along. Or are you saying that in Judaism, there is Holy spirit, in the manner that the Christians have?

I am asking whether other religions experience the holy spirit like the christians do or do they have another name for it?
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2008
Still you are using the languange of of Latin no a valid answer at all. Still remain a mystery among you I ASK AGAIN WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?I GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE LIKE EMMANUEL OR GABRIEL .
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 9:38pm On Apr 06, 2008
Still you are using the languange of of Latin no a valid answer at all. Still remain a mystery among you I ASK AGAIN WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?I GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE LIKE EMMANUEL OR GABRIEL

Holy spirit/ghost is already a name. what other sort of name do you want for it? Gabriel is a Hebrew name that means: God's able-bodied one or Hero of God.(El= God) and Emmanuel(a variant name for Jesus)means God is with us.
Re: Holy Spirit by Image123(m): 12:57am On Apr 07, 2008
The Holy Spirit is God the Spirit.He bears all the name God bears.He is Jehovah.His ministry in the world is majorly to Christians.Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. There is one God,one Lord,one Spirit,any other is a pirated copy
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 5:08am On Apr 07, 2008
BY image123
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him:
Does your statement mean that other religions that do not believe in christ does not have the holy spirit and cannot receive it unless they believe in christ?
Re: Holy Spirit by Image123(m): 5:16am On Apr 07, 2008
Yes,you can't receive the Holy Spirit except you believe in Christ.and its not just my statement.Its a quote from the Bible(John14v17)
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 8:40am On Apr 07, 2008
@Needlelady
Holy spirit/ghost is already a name. what other sort of name do you want for it? Gabriel is a Hebrew name that means: God's able-bodied one or Hero of God.(El= God) and Emmanuel(a variant name for Jesus)means God is with us

Mary(as) did not called Jesus(as) Emmanuel for his entire life this is a fallacy that mostly of you believe.

Holy spirit/ghost you said is already a name, well, we all know
That is a common name of all those who call it. But there should be
A proper name at all, Holy spirit have been existed long before
Jesus came to existent.?

What about those spirit used by the spiritualities can we call
Them holy spirit/ ghost. Or Genie.?
If you can’t find the proper name of the holy spirit them
You’re in a wrong way. You should first know what He really is.
If a spiritualist used the holy spirit that mean he is also god? Woow
What a strange belief? grin
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 4:08pm On Apr 07, 2008
Holy spirit have been existed long before
Jesus came to existent.?

That's a lie; The holy spirit and Jesus Christ are parts of one God. How can one exist before the other?
Re: Holy Spirit by Needlelady(f): 4:09pm On Apr 07, 2008
What about those spirit used by the spiritualities can we call
Them holy spirit/ ghost
Spiritualists use the evil spirit or familiar spirit to operate.
Re: Holy Spirit by kolaoloye(m): 4:33pm On Apr 07, 2008
@poster,
There is only one HOLY SPIRIT which only exists and functions in the lives of true Christians.
Every other spirit in any religion is not the HOLY SPIRIT, it could be the evil spirit or
anything for all i care.
Re: Holy Spirit by mnwankwo(m): 8:37pm On Apr 07, 2008
The power of the Holy Spirit is freely available to all men irrespective of race, sex, religion, social status etc as long as they live in the sense of the laws of God. What matters in the sight of God is how one uses God`s power in his thoughts, words, actions and motives. The toga of religion which many proudly wear on earth do not count much once the so called death occures. Then the departed soul will then experience what he or she has been sowing , it will be very clear then wheather or not he or she has used the power of the Holy Spirit as God decred or wheather he or she has misused the power. The power of the Holyspirit do not flow to an individual because of his religion, it flows to him or her because he or she lives according to the laws of God and has attained the spiritual mobility necessary for the reception of the power of the Holy Spirit. Among christians, Budhists, Jews, Islamists, etc, there are individuals who serve God genuinely and use his power. That is why among all peoples and religions their are gifts of the Holy Spirit present in a small subset of believers. Sadly the religious parochialism of many a believer makes us to reject or question the manifestation of the power of the Holy Spirit in so far as the blessed one did not emanate from our own church or religion. We are quick to label such as the work of evil spirit or trump up some other nonsense. When miracles happen in our own church or religion, it is the power of God but when the same thing happen among followers of another religion, then it is the power of the devil. Yet when asked to provide a single evidence why the same happening is from God in one case and from the devil in another case, no robust evidence is given. God is the creator and his physical gifts of rain, air, intelligence, water, fire, technological innovations etc are available to all men irreaspective of religion. Among top scientists, their are believers of all religions. The same goes for teachers, doctors, farmers, engineers, bussiness men etc. The men and women who have distinguished themselves in their various earthly profession did not acquire the excellence because of their religion, rather they distinguished themselves because the mastered the laws governing their own profession. The same goes for spiritual things. Any man or woman who "Loves God with all his heart and loves his neighbour as himself" will by blessed by the Holy Spirit and the religious toga he or she wears on earth is immaterial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 11:36am On Apr 09, 2008
Needlelady:

That's a lie; The holy spirit and Jesus Christ are parts of one God. How can one exist before the other?

you should research much more my dear.? If your theory is like that you are far away
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 11:44am On Apr 09, 2008
@kola oloye
and what you call the Genie ? which is not a evil spirit?

what about the spirit of the Saint are you praying for ? like saint anthony etc.?
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 11:51am On Apr 09, 2008
In 1 Corinthians 3:16, we see that the Holy Spirit lives inside us: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”

Do you believe this VERSE that the Holy spirit live inside us?
Re: Holy Spirit by Backslider(m): 10:16am On Apr 10, 2008
@olabowale

To clear your doubts the religious worship of judiasm had the holy Ghost and he is called ruakh qodesh

Read below

The first occurrence is in Ps 51:11[13], when David prays in penitence to the Lord, “Do not reject me! Do not take your Holy Spirit away from me!”.2 The two other occurrences are in Isa 63:10 and 11, where the Lord refers to the Israelites as those who had grieved his Holy Spirit by rebelling against him even though he had so graciously delivered them in the days of old:

But they rebelled and offended his [H]oly Spirit,
so he turned into an enemy
and fought against them.
His people remembered the ancient times.
Where is the one who brought them up out of the sea,
along with the shepherd of his flock?
Where is the one who placed his [H]oly Spirit among them…

Isaiah 63:14 then refers back to the “[H]oly Spirit” in vv. 10–11 as “the Spirit of the Lord” who had given them rest in the days of old. The latter expression and its interchangeable counterpart “the Spirit of God” (compare, for example, 1 Sam 10:6 with 10:10) occur a total of about 94 times in the Hebrew Bible;3 that is, if one includes instances where “the (my, your, his) Spirit” clearly refers to “the Spirit of the Lord/God” in the context.
Re: Holy Spirit by olabowale(m): 2:50pm On Apr 10, 2008
@Backslider: Thanks for your enlightenment.

@olabowale

To clear your doubts the religious worship of judiasm had the holy Ghost and he is called ruakh qodesh
And the AlQurr;;an, Angel gabriel is referred to, among many names, as Ruuh Qudus. See the similarity in writing and pronounciation, barring the ethnic and accent variations?

Read below

The first occurrence is in Ps 51:11[13], when David prays in penitence to the Lord, “Do not reject me! Do not take your Holy Spirit away from me!”.2 The two other occurrences are in Isa 63:10 and 11, where the Lord refers to the Israelites as those who had grieved his Holy Spirit by rebelling against him even though he had so graciously delivered them in the days of old:
Unfortunately, you did not see the difference between God and His Angels. The Angels are beings created by Him for purposes to carry out His commandments. Just because they are Angels of God would you say that they are God? Now as I have stated above, Angel gabreil is called Ruuh Qudus, meaning holy spirit, since all Angels are spiritual beings of a specific nature, based on what they are made from (light). The Jinns are aso spiritual beings, but they are made from (Smokeless fire). But Angels obey God 100% and are His fully obedient slaves/servants, contrary to the wrong notion and belief of the christians, etc about "fake Angel, which is truly a jinn by the name Lucifer!" The Jinns or popularly known as genie are beings that are endowed with free will, just like man. This is the singular reason that only men and genie will be judged on the day of accounting.

So when Prophet King David was pleading to God that he should not be deprived of the benefit of the holy spirit/ghost as in Psalm 51; 11/13, as you have quoted above, it is not saying to God, please dont deprive me of your second part or your alter ego! What it is simply saying is that Oh God you have supported me what you have supported me with of you have supported others before me, please don't withdraw that means of support. For example it was God who killed the childern of Egyptians. But that was accompanied by the Angel of death. Afterall Angel of death does not take a soul except that he is commanded to do so. The defeat by drowning of the army of pharaoh and pharaoh himself was not by the power of Moses, but the power of God. But the support of Moses was Angel Gabreil, the instrument of God.

And to put it in layman terms for you; A son could could easily beg his mother not to deprive him of the use of the Lamborghini to the boys weekend retreat of the coming independence day holiday. Would this mean that the mother an the automobile are One?

But they rebelled and offended his [H]oly Spirit,
so he turned into an enemy
and fought against them.
Did the holy spirit did this becoming an enemy and fighting against the Children of Israel on his own? Or was he commanded to do so by God his Creator, because the Children of Israel disobeyed God, who is the One who gives laws, and holy ghost/spirit just have to follow God's commandments? Please think hard with good reasoning!

His people remembered the ancient times.
Where is the one who brought them up out of the sea,
along with the shepherd of his flock?
Where is the one who placed his [H]oly Spirit among them…
You see that the spirit/ghost is nothing but instrument of actions? You see that it functions according to commandment from God the Almighty?

[/quote]Isaiah 63:14 then refers back to the “[H]oly Spirit” in vv. 10–11 as “the Spirit of the Lord” who had given them rest in the days of old. The latter expression and its interchangeable counterpart “the Spirit of God” (compare, for example, 1 Sam 10:6 with 10:10) occur a total of about 94 times in the Hebrew Bible;3 that is, if one includes instances where “the (my, your, his) Spirit” clearly refers to “the Spirit of the Lord/God” in the context. [quote]
We have in the AlQurran what is called the She-camel of God. We also have what is called the House of God. Are these things part of God? No they are not. God use the association to honor these things. The she camel, even though cae to being miraculously out of rock, it was a sign only to the community to be just. And it was their unjust behavior even to that she camel that brought their peril. In the same light, the house of God in makka is empty. God does not have a bedroom or anything like that. But it is called house of God so as to honor the place and venerate it, in obedience to the commandment given by God.

Holy spirit/ghost could never be God. But it is an Angel which God Almighty Himself honors by calling him by many special names. The name of that Angel is Gabreil! Read Surah baqarah onward and you will learn about Angel gabreil and how the Children of Isral hated him!

Ypu can google the Qur::an and search about Gabreil as a subtitle from it. Start from Surah Baqarah/chapter 2.
Re: Holy Spirit by Backslider(m): 7:50pm On Apr 10, 2008
@olabowale

not if that lamborghini can move by itself wage war be angry with the soon be grief and even make things  grin

If you want us to have a good discussion we will leave the bible and deal with the alqur, an. but because of your very little Knowledge of know bible that is why I responded.

You seem to claim that the jews were reffering to Angel gabriel as the Holy Ghost?

go back to the question you asked, you tried to deny that jews dont have anything call the holy Ghost. I just showed they had and you are saying jubril is ruakh qodesh?
Re: Holy Spirit by olabowale(m): 9:22pm On Apr 10, 2008
@Backslider: Have you ever seen a Jew before, in your entire life? I know enough to say that I am certain of what I wrote. You thik your ghost is what they are referring to when they write roush qudush or however they wrote it? Please give me the spelling of Christian's holy ghost in Hebrew and or aramaic and we compare it to Jewish and Arabic spellings.

You think the Jews are talking about what the christians believe to be the one that get mary pregnant, when they say roush Qudush? The same thing that you guys say mounted Mary to sire Jesus? Yet Mary remained a Virgin? Please man, don't humor me. I am not in the mood for insincererity.

And di you read the Qur//an? Did you learn about Malaika Jibril? Come on. Come off it.
Re: Holy Spirit by Backslider(m): 8:05am On Apr 12, 2008
@olabowale

keep laughing while you are at it answer this who did God "sire" when Eve was made out Adam

Most High God is the Holy Ghost

I have listened to Jew preachers and I used to have a recorded Jewish OT Bible
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 9:32am On Apr 12, 2008
Backslider:

@olabowale

keep laughing while you are at it answer this who did God "sire" when Eve was made out Adam

Most High God is the Holy Ghost

I have listened to Jew preachers and I used to have a recorded Jewish OT Bible

if you said "SIRE" you are talking here mother and father

if you fantasize that God as a Father and He has a Wife that make you a son you are now out of your mind.
Re: Holy Spirit by Backslider(m): 5:11pm On Apr 12, 2008
please ask Olabowale

what he meant i only quoted him
Re: Holy Spirit by samba123(m): 8:17am On Apr 13, 2008
well, SIRE is a parental features that an offring can possess all the characteristic of a father or mother. applicable only for human being and animal not in the Divinity of God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Prayer Change Destiny? / When Does God Write Names In The Book Of Life? / Brainwashing Kids In The Name Of Jesus! Crazy! Crazy!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.