Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

College Basketball Coach Fired For Pushing And Verbally Abusing Players - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / College Basketball Coach Fired For Pushing And Verbally Abusing Players (621 Views)

Ayodele Bakare: Former Nigeria National Basketball Coach Survived Soakaway Fall / Arsene Wenger Apologizes For Pushing Jose Mouriho / London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

College Basketball Coach Fired For Pushing And Verbally Abusing Players by isalegan2: 4:35pm On Apr 03, 2013
Rutgers Fires Basketball Coach After Video Goes Public
By STEVE EDER
Published: April 3, 2013
New York Times

Rutgers fired Mike Rice, the coach of its men’s basketball team, on Wednesday, a day after a video surfaced showing him berating his players during practices, throwing balls at them, kicking them and taunting them with slurs.

Rice’s termination comes nearly four months after the university’s athletic director, Tim Pernetti, suspended him for three games and fined him $50,000, with little elaboration. On Wednesday Pernetti called that decision a mistake and said that he would “work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community.”

Rutgers announced Rice’s termination on its Twitter account Wednesday morning, saying, “Based upon recently revealed information and a review of previously discovered issues, Rutgers has terminated the contract of Mike Rice.”

Rice could not be immediately reached for comment.

On Tuesday ESPN broadcast video from practices from 2010 to 2012 that showed Rice’s conduct at practices. The video went viral, putting scrutiny on Rutgers and prompting the university to take further action.

“I am responsible for the decision to attempt a rehabilitation of Coach Rice,” Pernetti said in a statement posted on the Rutgers Web site Wednesday. “Dismissal and corrective action were debated in December and I thought it was in the best interest of everyone to rehabilitate, but I was wrong. Moving forward, I will work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community.”

The Rutgers president, Robert Barchi, also released a statement calling the initial punishment of Rice a mistake, even though he had been informed of Rice’s behavior and was involved in the decision to suspend Rice and fine him.

“Yesterday, I personally reviewed the video evidence, which shows a chronic and pervasive pattern of disturbing behavior,” Barchi said in the statement posted on the Rutgers Web site. “I have now reached the conclusion that Coach Rice cannot continue to serve effectively in a position that demands the highest levels of leadership, responsibility and public accountability. He cannot continue to coach at Rutgers University. Therefore, Tim Pernetti and I have jointly decided to terminate Mike Rice’s employment at Rutgers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/sports/ncaabasketball/rutgers-fires-basketball-coach-after-video-surfaces.html?_r=0

CBS News, includes video:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57577665/rutgers-basketball-coach-caught-on-tape-abusing-players/

ESPN's critical report on Tuesday night, before the coach was fired this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zjsKsR8wo
Re: College Basketball Coach Fired For Pushing And Verbally Abusing Players by isalegan2: 4:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
Didn't Indiana coach, Bobby Knight, used to do things like this? Or his wasn't that bad?

(1) (Reply)

NBA Finals: Miami Heat Vs San Antonio Spurs / Mourinho’s Not Worth It – Ronaldo / Did You Know? The Secret Behind Kenyan's Long Distance Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.