Stats: 3,154,006 members, 7,821,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown (5414 Views)

Burutai Moves Army Institute To His Hometown / John Godson,Nigerian-Born Polish Legislator Visits His Hometown (Pics) / Reception Given To Aregbesola From His Hometown Residents. (2) (3) (4)

Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 06, 2013
Chinua Achebe may be buried next month

Iconic author, Prof. Chinua Achebe, may be buried next month in his hometown, Ikenga Ogidi in Idemilii North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

Achebe died after a brief illness at an undisclosed hospital in Boston, United States on March 21.

Though extended family members in Ogidi, who spoke to Saturday PUNCH did not want to commit themselves to any date till his children come home from their base in the US, sources in the state government said Governor Peter Obi had already consented to the fixing of a date in May.

The governor met with Achebe’s children in the US last week.

When contacted, the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Chief Joemartins Uzodike, told Saturday PUNCH that the burial arrangements would only be published after the family had formally briefed the state government.

“Though I cannot officially confirm it to you yet, from what I hear, the burial will likely be in May,” Uzodike said.

A former President General of Ikenga Ogidi Family Union, Dr. Emmanuel Obianagha, also told our correspondent that the author of Things Fall Apart might be buried in May.

Meanwhile, the country home of Achebe on Ogidi – Abatete Road remained shut on Thursday when our correspondent visited the place.

Sympathisers had to go to the local government headquarters and Government House, Awka to sign a condolence register opened for the late writer.

The state government has promised to give Achebe a grand burial in line with its policy to honour every Anambra citizen that has brought honour to the state.

In a related development, a close aide to Governor Peter Obi confirmed the burial plans to one of our correspondents mid-way into a meeting at the Governor’s Lodge in Amawbia area of Anambra State

Insisting not to be mentioned, the aide said the meeting involved some principal aides to Obi and members of Achebe’s family.

The source said, “So far, from their discussion, the late Achebe would be buried next month (May) but there is no final conclusion on the exact date.

“Three dates – May 11, 18 and 25 – have been thrown up for consideration, but that of May 11 is likely to be adopted going by the body language of his family members.

“Aside that, it is believed that May 11 would be ideal because the government does not want the burial activities to extend into the Democracy Day programmes for May 29, considering that it would be Governor Obi’s last Democracy Day in office.

“However, one thing that is certain is that if he (Achebe) is not buried on May 11, he would be buried anytime immediately after Democracy Day celebration on May 29.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/chinua-achebe-may-be-buried-next-month/
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 06, 2013
Who told u?
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 06, 2013
Rest In Peace
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by guruobinna: 10:29am On Apr 06, 2013
It has always been the culture of the Igbos (Jews)to be buried in their homeland

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 10:29am On Apr 06, 2013
dazey: Ok
You missed road!
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 06, 2013
RIP
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by greaterlove(m): 10:32am On Apr 06, 2013
dazey: Ok
fear catch me for ur earlier comment. on topic, wishing the family of achebe God's strenght to see them through this period.
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Parnassuss(m): 10:35am On Apr 06, 2013
Well I doubt Achebe would have accepted any help from this govt even to lift a stone, I hope his family doesn't get tempted to taint the man's great legacies.

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Akpaife(m): 10:36am On Apr 06, 2013
Rip
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by kkkp: 10:36am On Apr 06, 2013
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by OurYansh: 10:37am On Apr 06, 2013
May his soul rest in peace..

cool. cool. cool.
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Jumong01(m): 10:37am On Apr 06, 2013
MAY HIS PERFECT SOUL REST IN PEACE......................................KUDOS TO HIM!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 06, 2013
RIP,tribalistic literary Icon. May your soul rest in Peace.

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Policewoman(f): 10:45am On Apr 06, 2013
berem: Chinua Achebe may be buried next month

Iconic author, Prof. Chinua Achebe, may be buried next month in his hometown, Ikenga Ogidi in Idemilii North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

Achebe died after a brief illness at an undisclosed hospital in Boston, United States on March 21.

Though extended family members in Ogidi, who spoke to Saturday PUNCH did not want to commit themselves to any date till his children come home from their base in the US, sources in the state government said Governor Peter Obi had already consented to the fixing of a date in May.

The governor met with Achebe’s children in the US last week.

When contacted, the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Chief Joemartins Uzodike, told Saturday PUNCH that the burial arrangements would only be published after the family had formally briefed the state government.

“Though I cannot officially confirm it to you yet, from what I hear, the burial will likely be in May,” Uzodike said.

A former President General of Ikenga Ogidi Family Union, Dr. Emmanuel Obianagha, also told our correspondent that the author of Things Fall Apart might be buried in May.

Meanwhile, the country home of Achebe on Ogidi – Abatete Road remained shut on Thursday when our correspondent visited the place.

Sympathisers had to go to the local government headquarters and Government House, Awka to sign a condolence register opened for the late writer.

The state government has promised to give Achebe a grand burial in line with its policy to honour every Anambra citizen that has brought honour to the state.

In a related development, a close aide to Governor Peter Obi confirmed the burial plans to one of our correspondents mid-way into a meeting at the Governor’s Lodge in Amawbia area of Anambra State

Insisting not to be mentioned, the aide said the meeting involved some principal aides to Obi and members of Achebe’s family.

The source said, “So far, from their discussion, the late Achebe would be buried next month (May) but there is no final conclusion on the exact date.

“Three dates – May 11, 18 and 25 – have been thrown up for consideration, but that of May 11 is likely to be adopted going by the body language of his family members.

“Aside that, it is believed that May 11 would be ideal because the government does not want the burial activities to extend into the Democracy Day programmes for May 29, considering that it would be Governor Obi’s last Democracy Day in office.

“However, one thing that is certain is that if he (Achebe) is not buried on May 11, he would be buried anytime immediately after Democracy Day celebration on May 29.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/chinua-achebe-may-be-buried-next-month/
RIP great sage.

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by 5alive(m): 10:46am On Apr 06, 2013
2 H_LL with him joor.
Wu c_res
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by badassnigga(m): 10:46am On Apr 06, 2013
let me sip ma Alomo ...is too gud for body cool
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Policewoman(f): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2013
Yomieluv: RIP,tribalistic literary Icon. May your soul rest in Peace.
You people have started again. If we retaliate, Sexkills will ban us. Make i dey look sha.

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by badassnigga(m): 10:55am On Apr 06, 2013
Yomieluv: RIP,tribalistic literary Icon. May your soul rest in Peace.

noted...still sipping ma Alomo cool
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by mike404(m): 10:56am On Apr 06, 2013
Policewoman: RIP great sage.
Na wa to you o
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by badassnigga(m): 10:58am On Apr 06, 2013
5alive: 2 H_LL with him joor.
Wu c_res

who ...u mean Achebe. grin
Alomo all d way cool
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by tomakint: 11:03am On Apr 06, 2013
R.I.P to the Iroko of literary works in Africa and beyond!

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by yuzedo: 11:18am On Apr 06, 2013
Hope there'll be a lying-in-state in Lagos, just like Fela had at TBS. Not too sure I can make the trip to Ogidi next month to pay my respect.
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 06, 2013
RIP
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by excellentmomma(f): 11:32am On Apr 06, 2013
yuzedo: Hope there'll be a lying-in-state in Lagos, just like Fela had at TBS. Not too sure I can make the trip to Ogidi next month to pay my respect.

I wish so too, if not I will be tempted to travel.
Continue to R.I.P sir
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 06, 2013
R.I.P CHINUA ACHEGBEEE

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by untainted: 11:55am On Apr 06, 2013
Your legacy lives forever! Rest in peace great one!
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by eldoc2003(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2013
“A man who calls his kinsmen to a feast does not do so to save them from starving. They all have food in their own homes. When we gather together in the moonlit village ground it is not because of the moon. Every man can see it in his own compound. We come together because it is good for kinsmen to do so.”

Prof. Chinua Achebe

Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Kingslaw(m): 12:20pm On Apr 06, 2013
R.I.P Prof. C.Achebe
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by Ezeufi: 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2013
Which hometown? Boston MA or Abidjan?
Re: Achebe May Be Buried Next Month At His Hometown by madeinnigeria: 1:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
why bring him to nigeria...he preferred staying in the US and kept on pointing fingers from there instead of coming home like the other icons of nigeria to see what good he could do for nigeria..nigeria doesn't need his corpse..he should be buried in where he called home...abi boston no get burial ground ni

Where R Those Who Protested Subsidy Removal? / Eastern Minorities: Biafra Map To Be Redrawn / Tinubu In Total Shock, As The Minister Of Power, Works And Housing, Babatude Fas