Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (33388 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Pidgin English' A Case Study. / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Sealeddeal(m): 7:26am On Apr 08, 2013
You cannot measure anybody's intelligence by his ability to speak english.Remember,english is a language just like any other languages.your ability to speak good english has many factor that contribute to that other than sheer intelligence;those that grew up in england will surely speak better english that those living in nigeria.so,can you now say they are more intelligent?
Those that went to most private schools in nigeria may end up speaking better english than those that schooled in one rural community school.so,can you now say that the private students are smarter?
Those that put much effort to reading novels and other english learning tools can speak english more than those that committed to learning it that way.
If you go to lagos for example,you find out that alot of non-natives can speak yoruba fluently but not english even when english is spoken there and i dont think that one can judge them as unintelligent;afterall english is just a language like Yoruba. On the other hand,If you are not educated,you can hardly speak english well except you grew up in a country where english is a native language.So,speaking good english in nigeria is a sign of education but not of intelligence
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by topmostg: 7:29am On Apr 08, 2013
I agree with the o.p 60%.... So because you so fluent and have a good command of english means you're so intelligent? I dont agree...

Take ma roommate for example... He doesn't speak good english but, he's the most intelligent person i've ever known in terms of academics. I must say a polymath..
Extremely good in everything. Be it maths,eng. physics, chem...

I could go on forever baby. But poor in terms of speaking good english....

Me don't think speaking good engrish means you're a smart-ass
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:31am On Apr 08, 2013
32-D:

[size=14pt]my dear afam, the word is being not been[/size] and to ur kweshun o think knowing how to speak good english is soooooo over-rated

Afam may be upset that his woman is getting attracted to a posh guy who just came in from Jand.

Well it isn't so much of the spoken English that the ladies fall for. It is just the correct pronounciation of words that most Nigerians refer to as accent.

For e.g. It is Radiator (ray) not Rardiator (rar). Get it now?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by vislabraye(m): 7:44am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

IQ is an Eurocentric crap that shouldn't be taken seriously by any sane mind... If testosterone truly improves a person's mentally capability, then black folks should be the smartest people on this planet... Hence why I don't take the IQ crap seriously, to be honest!!

We need to change our school syllabus, make it more Afrocentric, and get white folks to come do our own Afrocentric IQ test as well!! grin

Eurocentric? How? A lot of the tests have much to do with spatial and quantitative reasoning. In fact, science as a whole is not absolutely eurocentric.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by gbengress1: 7:45am On Apr 08, 2013
Speaking English language fluently is never related to intelligence. The best graduating student in my department was not the best speaker of English in my dept, but it was very glaring that he was the most intelligent.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by RealMccoy2(m): 7:46am On Apr 08, 2013
Adolite: Am studying in America presently, Many of white kids do always saying i dont speak good English but in my English class i got A and even A in my Speech class which some white kids got C's,so speaking english fluently does not qualify you as an intelligent or educated person..
How are we sure you got A in English when you can't construct a simple sentence? Are you french? It's not my intention to disrespect you, when we were younger, our parents told us they had the best grade in class, which makes me to wonder about whose parent was last in their class....

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by orlabass(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2013
Language,our first problem in this country.promote ur languge jooorrrrr
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Okikiade(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2013
Scandinavians uses their languages to teach and they're more stabilized countries than the so-called "super-power" countries!IMO,English language isn't superior.Dogmas teaching imbibed in us by imperialist called 'kolonial master'
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 08, 2013
Jastombutex11:

Well the op is correct, ability to speak good English is not a determinant of someone intelligent SOMEONE'S INTELLIGENCE. Taking you as a case study ..... You just show us how good you are at speaking and writing English but messed up big time cos u are far from being intelligent, Can't u just correct in a mannerly way instead of bashing the writer??

Really! I challenge you to a stiff competition on analytical ability on any subject of your choice in this forum. PM me when you are ready and nairalanders shall be our umpires. Nough said!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by UjSizzle(f): 8:09am On Apr 08, 2013
Knowledge is diverse. Having a good command of the English language is just one of it, what else do you know?
I do agree however that speaking impeccable English helps communication and is quite impressive smiley. It also has the added benefit of making people want to listen to what you have to say or whatever message you wish to communicate to others.

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 08, 2013
Babzilla:

U NAILED IT
THERE'S NOTHING ELSE 2 THIS THREAD
ANYBODY WHO IS CONFIDENT IN HIS KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH WONT PUT UP (OR SUPPORT) THIS HORSESHIT

Your head dey there bro! Can you imagine how he wants to swoop all of us to pander to his ulterior motive? Probably because so many smart guys has overshadowed him in this forum and his voice is hardly heard nawadays in a well articulated comments as the smart dudes; thus this HORSESHIT. Just because he is a moderator? Biko kam nu ihe!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by druid06(m): 8:37am On Apr 08, 2013
A way to determine someone intelligence is by their intelligence quotient. An intelligence quotient, or IQ, is a score derived from one of several standardized tests designed to assess intelligence. My point being that someone could be very good in solving mathematical problems while another good in communicating through the English language, they both might are good in their various field but might be average of even below average when they get their I.Q analyzed.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Deiok(m): 8:40am On Apr 08, 2013
me i nor sabi speak english oh. But atlest i know things.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by rman: 8:42am On Apr 08, 2013
Ishsoph:

Really! I challenge you to a stiff competition on analytical ability on any subject of your choice in this forum. PM me when you are ready and nairalanders shall be our umpires. Nough said!

You totally missed the point of his post. You can correct without insulting ( intelligent people will do that ).

And, he may be right about you, intelligent people are not arrogant. They are very good listeners and observers.

How can you be so sure you will win?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by druid06(m): 8:43am On Apr 08, 2013
[quote author=360command]I have read all your comments but I did like to say you have written well. But I want you to know that some of you have made errors on this subject matter .I strongly believe that The word GOOD goes with the preposition AT and not IN.

Example :

(1)I am poor in maths but good at english

(2)I am bad at igbo too.

(3)Nairlanders are clever at answering questions.

Though I hear educated elites say 'I am not good in maths' . But I believe that the grammertical statement is wrong .
[/quote

Dude, you made an error too. It's not '' grammertical'' it's grammatical. No one is an island of knowledge so stop acting too smart and all knowing.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Adolite(m): 8:44am On Apr 08, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

[s]How are we sure you got A in English when you can't construct a simple sentence? Are you french?[/s] It's not my intention to disrespect you, when we were younger, our parents told us they had the best grade in class, [s]which makes me to wonder about whose parent was last in their class[/s]....
Work on your sentences before you correct others? hate-diot.

Naija mentality, We always find it difficult to believe others, always find mistakes. When will u guyz learn? because u writes on NL makes you a good writer? lol
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 08, 2013
Ishsoph:

Honey take it easy I'm very bad at handling people with high B.P please take some Alomo and relax sweetie. How was your night anyway grin grin grin wink
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Ezeufi: 8:48am On Apr 08, 2013
Speaking good english only indicates that you are a descendant of efulefu. Chances are your forefathers were the first to abandon their traditions and embraced oyinbos. That has been passed on and on and on and has reached you.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 08, 2013
Can we say most Americans are less educated and less intelligent than the Brits because most Americans can neither write nor speak proper English?

ShymmexLion - Jah bless.... tongue
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 08, 2013
vislabraye:

Eurocentric? How? A lot of the tests have much to do with spatial and quantitative reasoning. In fact, science as a whole is not absolutely eurocentric.

It's Eurocentric no matter how you look at it...
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by dammytosh: 8:58am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam,

Learn to speak good English and command the same respect. I feel your pain. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 08, 2013
I like to think of something
I've never seen before
And if it doesn't happen right away
I think a little more.
I sit a little while
And imagine what could be
A new idea might come to me
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ekolina(m): 8:59am On Apr 08, 2013
Mr.Uzo:

Modaf*ucker.. I logged in because of you f.ool. Must you always see the wrongs in people comments. Is detecting gbagaun you job here!! I hate peope forming gbagaun detector here as if they are better. Is english you dialect .. Anuefy like you!
Hoping to be giving a gbagaun mod job!!

Mr Uzo....what is rong corectin a mistake. Ur type wll neva learn Ode
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Reference(m): 9:04am On Apr 08, 2013
Having a good command of english whether written or spoken is a sign of exposure. With exposure comes values and values naturally generate mastery or the pursuit of excellence. When you have these things in your psyche they overwhelm most other considerations.

For example the use of abbreviations, short hand, slangs and the editing of texts are done with much care rather than being taken for granted. The fear of losing ones command of english is often greater than the savings in terms of bytes, Mb, and Naira.

I don't struggle with spoken or written english. Be it applications, texts or short story lines, one of my favourite pastimes.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 08, 2013
Jastombutex11:

Honey take it easy I'm very bad at handling people with high B.P please take some Alomo and relax sweetie. How was your night anyway grin grin grin wink

I would like to take the bolded as a joke. And "honey" "sweetie"? Am a guy like you pls(I aint into homo). If you sincerely wants to know about my night, what can i say: Its regretably short(would hav love to sleep more cos it rained. know what I mean?). Cheers!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 08, 2013
Please, please, nairalanders, u cannot utilization somebody's spoken are writing english to determination his height of knowldge. Nde, let me asking this question, english grammers is it our mother's lingua franca?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Reference(m): 9:06am On Apr 08, 2013
kaorama: I like to think of something
I've never seen before
And if it doesn't happen right away
I think a little more.
I sit a little while
And imagine what could be
A new idea might come to me

Nice. Says a lot and more.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 08, 2013
rman:

[s]You totally missed the point of his post. You can correct without insulting ( intelligent people will do that ).

And, he may be right about you, intelligent people are not arrogant. They are very good listeners and observers.

[/s]How can you be so sure you will win?

U wanna take on the challenge? If yes PM me and stop yarning giberish!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by 360degree(m): 9:17am On Apr 08, 2013
Speaking good English infers that you may have read widely which makes you to have acquired wealth of knowledge. I think being smart and intelligence is God given talent. But deficiency in English may place limitation on your ability to compete favourable with someone who has read widely(i mean someone who know what is happening outside his local environment). However, we should also not forget that English is language of communication which means lack of proper understanding limit your ability to communicate, analyse and pass across information. Please lets bear in mind that English is one of the widely spoken language around the world and if I may ask, how many book written by foreign and local authors have been translated to your local language not to talk of teaching books and other learning materials.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by UjSizzle(f): 9:20am On Apr 08, 2013
kaorama: Please, please, nairalanders, u cannot utilization somebody's spoken are writing english to determination his height of knowldge. Nde, let me asking this question, english grammers is it our mother's lingua franca?
how can you not knowing that you speakings horrible English? angry even if is not you lingua franca, does it mean you kills it mgbe nile? Take time dia oo
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 08, 2013
I school in the UK and i can categorically tell u there are some foreign students here especially Asians who speak appalling English yet they get the highest grades in courseworks and Exams even higher than me wey dey scatter all the vocabulary for English so OP whats ur point? those who speak it as a first language would naturally be good at it and need not be'educated' to learn it. That doesnt make them smarter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Unizik 2012/2013 Admission List Is Out,check List Here. / What Course Can My Ward Choose With This SSCE Result? / I Support Flogging Of My Daughter - Father Of Kwara Islamic School Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.