Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (14039 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Kano State ASUU Chairman Cant Speak Good English! / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by olaak1(m): 3:28pm On Oct 04, 2006
There is this general believe that Ghanians speak good English more than Nigerians pls Nairalanders in Ghana speak out!
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by layi(m): 5:22pm On Oct 04, 2006
olaak1:

There is this general believe that Ghanians speak good English more than Nigerians please Nairalanders in Ghana speak out!
I'm not in ghana but after reading your post i think its true.

good english - proper english

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by Scorpio(f): 7:13pm On Oct 04, 2006
lol,
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by waledudu(m): 7:37pm On Oct 04, 2006
good english, ? give it 2 ghanians.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by Poodle(m): 8:37pm On Oct 04, 2006
Please is this a joke or what,abeg give it up,our English is the best in the whole of Africa.Naija rules

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by naijadiva2(f): 8:55pm On Oct 04, 2006
everyones' english is different. there's no "right" way to speak english. it just depends on area you are from.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by donjazzie(m): 10:25pm On Oct 04, 2006
who tell u
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 3:35am On Oct 05, 2006
Ghana, na lie
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by VOR(m): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2006
olaak1:

There is this general believe that Ghanians speak good English more than Nigerians please Nairalanders in Ghana speak out!

I don't know where you are from but it sure looks as if you need some help yourself. So here goes:

There is this general BELIEF that GHANAIANS speak BETTER English than Nigerians. Please Nairalanders in Ghana speak out.

Hope this helps, and by the way I actually agree that Ghanaian educated people, in general speak better English.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by kobe(m): 10:20am On Jan 11, 2007
Last Poster Wrote"
"Hope this helps, and by the way I actually agree that Ghanaian educated people, in general speak better English."

I started fuming with fury as I stumbled across this topic.

@ last poster
I dare not eloquently dismiss your biased opinion, I'd  feel humbled if you can incorporate a brief summary/narrative of the thoughts that established your perspective. It just seems so shallow (unless of course you can present an incontrovertible evidence).

This discussion is like
O da bi igba ti eeyan ba npon omi si inu apere.  Ko lee kun.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by VOR(m): 10:55am On Jan 11, 2007
kobesosimi:

Last Poster Wrote"
"Hope this helps, and by the way I actually agree that Ghanaian educated people, in general speak better English."

I started fuming with fury as I stumbled across this topic.

@ last poster
I dare not eloquently dismiss your biased opinion, I'd feel humbled if you can incorporate a brief summary/narrative of the thoughts that established your perspective. It just seems so shallow (unless of course you can present an incontrovertible evidence).

This discussion is like
O da bi igba ti eeyan ba npon omi si inu apere. Ko lee kun.

Kobe,

Sorry I really don't have the time to do what you suggested.
It is a personal opinion I have from speaking and interacting
with the nationals of both countries.

You of course may have your own opinion which is different to mine, which
of course you are perfectly entitled to hold.

Just by the way, have you never heard of the SIMPLE ENGLISH campaign? If not
then I suggest you visit this site http://www.badlanguage.net/?feed=rss2&p=324
and others freely available on google. Your posting though sounding impressive
with all the big words is not how to write English in this day and age.

Sorry, the last sentence you wrote is written in a language I can't read so I am
unable to respond to it.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by kobe(m): 11:25am On Jan 11, 2007
Just by the way, have you never heard of the SIMPLE ENGLISH campaign? If not
then I suggest you visit this site  http://www.badlanguage.net/?feed=rss2&p=324
and others freely available on google. Your posting though sounding impressive
with all the big words is not how to write English in this day and age.

Again not to demean your response. My post was clear and concise (IMO).  The words you refer to as 'big' are mere k-12 vocab. words. Have you never heard of interpretation using 'clues within the context'?
If "SIMPLE ENGLISH" does not tolerate free-style writing - I want no part of it.
In response to your question: No, I never knew English was sub-categorized into simple, hard, bent, straight, [insert your text here]. I do now, thanks to you.

My last sentence from my previous entry implied that the argument can go on forever. simple enough? 
Writing usually allows us the freedom to express ourselves in unique & creative ways - or so I thought?
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by kobe(m): 11:35am On Jan 11, 2007
Adding on to my prior post.
I welcome your simplified english offer.

As a testament, Ima start writing just like this cuhz.  I always preferred slangs to Proper English.

but MY ADVICE!! Many reliable Corporations write in big words and you(the employees) are expected to fully understand the written material so I'll suggest you get used to it.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by PROFNICHO(m): 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2007
hahahahahahahahah it's true Ghana do speak Good English even more any other countries.
ka ma paro ton rawa je o toni.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by hassan123(m): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2011
I'm a Nigerian but schooled in Ghana. I agree with d OP that Ghanaians speak better English than Nigerians. (But Nigerians write better than Ghanaians). I was awarded d overall best student 3 consecutive times, but when it comes 2 speaking, d guy with d least score in our department could speak more fluently than I do.

I disagree wit d poster that said only educated Ghanaians speak good English. While in Ghana, I used 2 learn some words 4rm d market women any time I went 2 d mkt.

But d only puzzle that I could not solve is d reason Ghanaians find it easy 2 speak English than others (even Sierra leoneans & other Africans that I met in Ghana). Note: Not in writing

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by Litmus: 12:12pm On Jan 23, 2013
Nigerians received pronunciation is more accurate than that of Ghanaians. However because Nigerians general have a heavier accent this fact is often overlooked. Ghanians pronounce words like the English working class do while Nigerians have a more upper-class slant.For instance, English working class would pronounce CUP as CAP and WORK as WERK, Ghanians do the same, Nigerians would say, CUP or WORK. Nigerians would say TO-MA-TO,which is the received pronunciation but the English working class would say, TO-MA-ARRS.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by herkeym001(m): 2:17am On Apr 08, 2013
Nigerians speaks better than Ghanians. And my conclusion is based on the set of people I know.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by chic2007: 11:10am On Apr 08, 2013
olaak1: There is this general believe that Ghanians speak good English more than Nigerians pls Nairalanders in Ghana speak out!

Just reading your post, I think its true - "believe" or "belief"

"good English more than Nigerians" shocked
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by GHmaanarh: 3:43pm On Apr 13, 2013
I must confess I am shocked at dis claim here dat 9ija ppl speak beta English, its absolutely laughable! I teach chemistry in an international sch here in GH, most students r naijarians nd de english is inexplicably terrible, how cn u pronouce come as corm, teachers as tichas, nation as neishon, the as dee, ur accent is evn more terrible. GH is de best in Africa!
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by ALISMILE(m): 9:37am On Oct 20, 2013
olaak1: There is this general believe that Ghanians speak good English more than Nigerians pls Nairalanders in Ghana speak out!
There is this (general) (believe). I think it should be popular belief. And better English too not good English. I seriously think u should modify ur post,pls.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by ALISMILE(m): 10:03am On Oct 20, 2013
I think if nija didnt ve pidgin english we would ve been the best in the world. Considering the fact that its due to our relentless personal efforts that we are at this highly competitive level today. The English i know today i didnt learn in school,i tot mysef and i m not anywhere close to a write-off.
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by fabby26(m): 10:18am On Oct 20, 2013
Yes, it might be true that Ghanaians speak better English than Nigerians, but has it made them more better than Nigerians in all aspect?

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by Didi5(m): 11:56am On Oct 20, 2013
Ghanaians speak british english and we speak Nigerian english.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by herkeym001(m): 10:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
Didi 5: Ghanaians speak british english and we speak Nigerian english.
Naso
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by babsadewa(m): 8:05am On Oct 21, 2013
My opinion: ℓ̊​​ think Ghanians has better pronunciation of english words but as for writing good english, ℓ̊​​ trust my naija people...
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by kcy(m): 8:47am On Oct 21, 2013
beter english depends on yr background,xo many people in nigeria can speak beter english than gahnians,vice versa
Re: Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2014
I'm amazed at some comments here, I want to believe that the ghanaian movie stars are well educated but what they speak isn't the british english the world accepts. The fact that one speaks english more frequently than another doesn't mean he/she speaks the proper english. If we go by the british standard, we'll see that nigerians speak proper english compared to ghanaians. Check their pronunciations and compare it to the phonetics as written in the oxford dictionary. We learn everyday and let's not be sentimental and biased in our judgement. Using the english movie "merlin" as a case study, do ghanaians speak like that? How is love larve, doctor decter, mother, meder? I can't even spell what they speak. I beg to disagree, nigerians speak the proper, better(whatever u call it) english compared to ghanaians. I can boldly say this because I've spent some time in ghana before and I'm sorry but their spoken english is wrong

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

623 Candidates Qualify For Presidential scholarship Scheme Screening / IMSU Bans Pouring Of Water On Graduates (pictures) / FG Spends N12bn On School Feeding Monthly — Dr Umar Bindir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.