Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,793 members, 7,827,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria (38354 Views)

Made-In-Akwa Ibom Electricity Meters Hit Market In March (photo) / Solar Energy Installations In Nigeria - Welcome To 24 Hours Electricity / The Cheapest Form Of Electricity In Nigeria Today Is....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 1:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
tbaba1234:

Please can you state your assumptions on reaching the value for solar energy... I do not think it is feasible.

I have already answered that on this thread. If you look through from the start, you will get your answer.

I'm an expert in this field and know EXACTLY what i'm talking about.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by gunuvi(m): 1:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
cheddarking: A house has 7 bedrooms and 2 living rooms....as well as a BQ comprising 1room/livingroom/toilet

The main house has 2 Large Fridges and 2 Deep Freezers.

Each bedroom has a Wall mounted 1hp AC...while the 2 living rooms have a 3HP split standing unit each.

There are 9 Flatscreen LEDs in this house, usually on at the same time.

There is also a pumping machine in the yard for water.

Can you use Solar Energy to Power this house? And how big is the Array gonna be?

Someone should answer this and provide estimated cost in Nigeria.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by tbaba1234: 1:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder:

A 1kW PV solar power system (including installation) sells for N800,000, and produces 57,000 kWh of electricity over 25 years. The total cost of that system, including replacement costs of Inverters every 10 years, and batteries every 5 years, is N883,776. So, simply divide the cost by the number of kWh produced, and you get a cost per kWh of 15.5.

For the avoidance of doubt, this includes the following:

PV Panels
Inverters
Deep Cycle Batteries
Solar Chargers
Wiring
Installation
10 Free Energy Efficient Lights
2 Years free maintenance

Bros eh!!

This can not be correct....

We are talking about a 25 year life span, what discount rate was factored in... What about the capcity factor? THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN END UP WITH THAT., OGA

Your calculation is wrong, you need to factor in everything...
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by djsmoothy: 1:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 1:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
tbaba1234:

Bros eh!!

This can not be correct....

We are talking about a 25 year life span, what discount rate was factored in... What about the capcity factor? THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN END UP WITH THAT., OGA

Your calculation is wrong, you need to factor in everything...

Discount rate of 5% applied. That is the number. Numbers don't lie.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by princejude(m): 1:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder: Hi All

I'd like to start a discussion about the cost of Electricity in Nigeria today. The numbers make for interesting reading. And as they say, numbers don't lie.

Diesel Generator 71.7 Naira per kWh
Petrol Generator 69.5 Naira per kWh
PHCN Grid Electricity 23 Naira per kWh
Solar Power 15.5 Naira per kWh

Why on earth do Nigerians still persist on using generators?

Discuss

From your post above,Solar Power looks cheaper but I will like you to note the following points:

1. Solar Power system is made up of: the solar panels/cells (convert the solar energy to electrical energy(DC voltage/current)),solar charge controller (Regulates the converted DC voltage used to charge batteries), DC batteries (used to power up a UPS/Inverter), UPS/Inverter (converts the DC voltage from batteries to 230V AC voltage which you can use to power up your house)

2. Solar power is NOT normally used as a stand-alone power supply. It is used to support an existing power supply such as mains/PHCN or generator. The reason is that the power from solar system depends on the battery current and it will be difficult to fully charge the batteries from the solar panels (unless you have enough millions of naira to waste on panels). For your batteries to last longer, you will need to charge the batteries through Mains(PHCN) or generator.

thats my 2cent
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
I think the only way Nigerians would believe in your system is to implement a series of pilot projects. Numbers do lie. Pilot projects don't.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 1:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
princejude:

From your post above,Solar Power looks cheaper but I will like you to note the following points:

1. Solar Power system is made up of: the solar panels/cells (convert the solar energy to electrical energy(DC voltage/current)),solar charge controller (Regulates the converted DC voltage used to charge batteries), DC batteries (used to power up a UPS/Inverter), UPS/Inverter (converts the DC voltage from batteries to 230V AC voltage which you can use to power up your house)

2. Solar power is NOT normally used as a stand-alone power supply. It is used to support an existing power supply such as mains/PHCN or generator. The reason is that the power from solar system depends on the battery current and it will be difficult to fully charge the batteries from the solar panels (unless you have enough millions of naira to waste on panels). For your batteries to last longer, you will need to charge the batteries through Mains(PHCN) or generator.

thats my 2cent

I tend to agree with you.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 1:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
princejude:

thats my 2cent

Correction - Solar power is used both as grid tied, hybrid, and Stand alone systems. The batteries are easily charged by the Solar Panels, as long as its properly sized. Everything is accounted for, believe that.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 1:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
12 inches!:
I think the only way Nigerians would believe in your system is to implement a series of pilot projects. Numbers do lie. Pilot projects don't.

Lol, actually number do lie...
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by hollas2jnr(m): 1:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
cheddarking: A house has 7 bedrooms and 2 living rooms....as well as a BQ comprising 1room/livingroom/toilet

Each bedroom has a Wall mounted 1hp AC...while the 2 living rooms have a 3HP split standing unit each.

Can you use Solar Energy to Power this house? And how big is the Array gonna be?

Sure... u can power d whole house with solar energy if u have the capital. its just a matter of calculating ur appliances total wattage, how long u want to use each of them in a day (per hour) and u are good to go... although, could be expensive.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by djsmoothy: 1:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
princejude:

thats my 2cent

Very correct bro you are very right even in the UK you still need grid
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by informatix: 1:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
Oboy ur. Calculation of Cost of Kilowatts per hour need to be reviewed. I have a 10kw generator running for 10hours everyday in my internet cafe. Diesel is lessthan 71 Naira per kilowatts per hour. I burn 300 everyday. 3000divide by10hours divide by 10.kw 3000/10=300.
300/10=30.

Diesel cost in MY GEN. Is 30naira perkilowatt per hour. May be you have a RollsRoyce Generator.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 1:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
djsmoothy:
Bro this is very good if it works. Can i ask about U.K homes because me and you are here we can sign agreement then i can come on NL and tell everyone it worked, in Nigeria i can't take you court so if it does not work i can come to your company and make trouble get police involve and get my money back because i have spoken to over 10 companies and they are telling me i need 4kw system. Am sorry not trying to divert the conversation just curious holla at me 07886666126 asap

I can certainly supply you with a 4kW system here in London. And yes, you will probably need a 4kW system over here, because we get less than half the Peak Hours Sunlight that Nigeria does. However, you won't need the battery array which will significantly reduce costs.

I'll give you a call later this evening, as I'm crazy busy right now preparing for our launch.

My number is 07873 287846
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by hollas2jnr(m): 1:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Beaf!:
@poster

I have a 5KVA inverter with 200x4AH deep-circle batteries, six solar charging panels. I enjoy lights, TVs, fans etc for as long as possible. But I wouldnt dare connect my ACs, Refrigerators, Electric kettles, irons etc.

I cant afford to install a higher capacity inverter.

Tell me, how can I write off PHCN?

Your 5KVa inverter should be able to power ur refrigerators and or some of ur other appliances, depending on their power rating (Watt). then your solar charging panels would determine how long it would take d inverter to power them all cos it replaces the charges drained out by ur appliances thru d inverter... and if no more UV rays, d battery bank would determine that.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by hollas2jnr(m): 1:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
lumideezle:
You have forgotten to add the cost of replace ment of batteries, which should be done every 6-7mths, also the solar panels in the market are mostly china, their power 2 absorb solar energy is very limited.
You also dint mention the fact that big machines and heavy equipments cannot be solar powered beacuse frankly speaking, the amount of enerygy stored in the battery would not jus be enough
All of these coupled with the fact that you would need virtually and entire room 2 assemble you battries and also mount the solar panel. Makes Nigerians go with the more reliable alternative of Generators.

What?! Where did u get such info - replacing inverter battery every 6-7 months? Again, there are different grades of solar panels in market - mono and polycrystalline panels; one traps UV ray better than d other. infact, there are lots u still need to know...
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Mugono: 1:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
Nigeria is historically a cash economy and so it is only natural to be put off at the 'high' initial costs of purchasing a solar. However, the costs become manageable if you are able to offer a financing package that allows you to pay the cost over time.

This will improve the affordabilty overnight for many nigerians and will reduce the dependence on petrol & diesel used to run generators. This cost will only rise once the fuel subsidy is removed. Conversely, the cost of solar is fixed and once paid for is the property of the purchaser.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 1:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder:

With the greatest of respect, you simply don't know what you are talking about. Let me be clear so EVERYBODY understands perfectly well.

1. The average Nigerian home ( 3 bedrooms, 4 persons) requires a 2kW System to provide ALL of their energy needs on a 24 hour basis. Forever. This system would produce an average of 10kWs of energy each day - the average family would only require 8kWs each day.

2. An Inverter size of 3.5-4 KVA would be required.

3. All installation would be provided

The total cost of this system is........N1.4m. Take this as a concrete fact. I'm the founder and CEO of the company, and I'm giving you a copper bottomed guarantee that this is what it costs.

As a way to appease sceptical Nigerians, we offer a full money back guarantee to anybody who is not completely satisfied with their system. This is a cast iron guarantee. I cannot say any more about us commercially on this thread, or it will be banned. Please read the other thread I have running here - you will find out more there.

I think you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.
My own residence (a 3-bedroom house) is equipped with five 2HP ACs, outside pump, pressure pump, 3 electric water heaters, deep freezer, fridge, 7KG washing machine, and all the regular electronics.

My peak power consumption daily is around 3.2KVA. That usually occurs between 7.30pm and 10pm every evening.
My inverter tells me this statistic because the power input into the house goes through the inverter. If I put on every single appliance in the house, it would shoot up to around 15KVA.

So how will your solar arrangement work for someone like me?
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 1:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
hollas2jnr:

What?! Where did u get such info - replacing inverter battery every 6-7 months? Again, there are different grades of solar panels in market - mono and polycrystalline panels; one traps UV ray better than d other. infact, there are lots u still need to know...

Thank you my brother. The amount of misinformation is truly staggering. I can guarantee everybody that we manufacture our own brand of inverters, which come with a 5 year warranty as standard. They are expected to last at least 10 years.

We only use monocrystalline panels, which are perfect for the Nigerian climate. They are also far better quality, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing.

There will always be those who seek to hold back the tide of progress. It cannot and will not happen. NIgerians have suffered long enough.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by princejude(m): 1:39pm On Apr 08, 2013

Yes you can use solar energy to power the house but the cost of the solar energy materials and installation for the house can build the same house in another plot of land

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by tbaba1234: 1:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder:

Discount rate of 5% applied. That is the number. Numbers don't lie.

You did not show how the discount rate was factored in... Besides how did you end up with 5%...

What about the capacity factor This is a major deal... Solar panels do not work all the time...

You know what i am going to calculate it based on a 15% capacity factor and attach the excel sheet. I would use your 5% discount rate.

There is no way those numbers are correct...
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by lumideezle(m): 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
princejude:

Yes you can use solar energy to power the house but the cost of the solar energy materials and installation for the house can build the same house in another plot of land
Lmao
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder:

Thank you my brother. The amount of misinformation is truly staggering. I can guarantee everybody that we manufacture our own brand of inverters, which come with a 5 year warranty as standard. They are expected to last at least 10 years.

We only use monocrystalline panels, which are perfect for the Nigerian climate. They are also far better quality, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing.

There will always be those who seek to hold back the tide of progress. It cannot and will not happen. NIgerians have suffered long enough.

we are not talking about inverters, we are talking about batteries

i am even inclined to be suspicious of anyone manufacturing their 'own brand of inverters'

na today? we had a vendor who supplied my company with 2.5kVA inverters - that had issues from day 1. eventually one of the man's boys confided that the inverters were really 1.5kva. they had simply labelled them 2.5

i cannot be excited, because i have seen all this before.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 1:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
tbaba1234:

You did not show how the discount rate was factored in... Besides how did you end up with 5%...

What about the capacity factor This is a major deal... Solar panels do not work all the time...

You know what i am going to calculate it based on a 15% capacity factor and attach the excel sheet. I would use your 5% discount rate.

There is no way those numbers are correct...

Please do, I really want to see this.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Mugono: 2:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I think you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.
My own residence (a 3-bedroom house) is equipped with five 2HP ACs, outside pump, pressure pump, 3 electric water heaters, deep freezer, fridge, 7KG washing machine, and all the regular electronics.

My peak power consumption daily is around 3.2KVA. That usually occurs between 7.30pm and 10pm every evening.
My inverter tells me this statistic because the power input into the house goes through the inverter. If I put on every single appliance in the house, it would shoot up to around 15KVA.

So how will your solar arrangement work for someone like me?

This is a very good question! It is important to appreciate that your inverter measures how much appliances (energy) you can use SIMULTANEOUSLY.

The solar panels capture the total amount of energy available EACH DAY.

A solar system would need to have sufficient solar panels to generate enough TOTAL energy to satisfy your daily energy needs. The inverter would need to be big enough such that your MAXIMUM/SIMULTANEOUS energy needs were met.

Any solar system you were to purchase would need to fulfil these TWO requirements!
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 2:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
oyb:

i am even inclined to be suspicious of anyone manufacturing their 'own brand of inverters'

na today? we had a vendor who supplied my company with 2.5kVA inverters - that had issues from day 1. eventually one of the man's boys confided that the inverters were really 1.5kva. they had simply labelled them 2.5

I can't say i blame you for adopting that attitude. Business morals in Nigeria suck. I have lived in the UK for the last 25 years, and am coming over to change all that. Integrity and honesty are our watchwords.

I don't expect you to simply take me at my word - the proof is in the pudding. I love my country, and i'm intent on doing my quota to making it great. We have the intelligence and know how. And i can tell you I do not share the disgusting morals all too readily shared by many so called nigerian businesses.

The manufacturing of our own brand inverters is specifically so we can guarantee it's quality and provide a comprehensive 5 year warranty on it.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. It is precisely for this reason that i'm so excited to be launching in my home country. It's because I know for certain that the level of professionalism, honesty and integrity we display in every facet of our business practices will be so much more superior to every other indegenous business, that we will VERY QUICKLY dominate the marketplace.

Look out for our launch towards the end of the month.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder:

I thank God that you wrote the last paragraph!
That's the spirit!
Go ahead, launch and make your impact!!!
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Larrydee(m): 2:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
A perfect balance of PHCN and renewable energy sources will be just fine.
PHCN when you require cooling (refrigerator, air conditioning) and solar when you need to power appliances with fairly low energy consumption. You can use energy saving bulbs (which consume far lower than regular bulbs yet emit practically no heat, whilst achieving the same lighting effect), flat screen TVs, rather than CRTs, etc.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 2:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
oyb:

I'll make a deal with you, right here right now on these public boards.

1. I will give you a 5% discount on all our products you purchase from us

On your end of the deal, you must agree to come on here and give a genuine and honest testimonial about the quality of our services and products. In exchange for that, I will pay you N12,500 for each kW of system we sell as a result of the direct recommendations you have made. Let everyone on this board bear witness to this promise.

I cannot give out our company details on this thread, or i'll be banned. But please visit the thread below, where you will find full details of me and my company.

https://www.nairaland.com/1234695/easiest-way-get-rich/3

Energy bondage in Nigeria is about to come to an end.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by tbaba1234: 2:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Even assuming a maintenance cost of zero, I end up N43.2/kwh.

Your 57,000 kwh for 25 year is bogus because you did not factor in the capacity factor, There is no way, a 1kw system would produce 57,000 kwh in 25 years... Capacity factor = The ratio of actual energy produced / energy produced if panel worked all the time......

I used a more realistic annual net energy, the calculations are clear.

I still think the 5% interest rate can not be correct in the Nigerian climate.... If the actual value is inputed, it would be more....

Please find the calculation below

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Mugono: 2:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
Larrydee: A perfect balance of PHCN and renewable energy sources will be just fine.
PHCN when you require cooling (refrigerator, air conditioning) and solar when you need to power appliances with fairly low energy consumption. You can use energy saving bulbs (which consume far lower than regular bulbs yet emit practically no heat, whilst achieving the same lighting effect), flat screen TVs, rather than CRTs, etc.

That is a very good idea and would require any company in the Solar Energy space to supply a hybrid system that meant appliances derived its energy from the grid when it was 'on' and from the solar system when the grid was 'off'!

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by cheddarking(m): 2:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcholder is not answering my question

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Big Differences Between 4G And 5G / Common Birds In Nigeria / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.