Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,493 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria (38292 Views)

Made-In-Akwa Ibom Electricity Meters Hit Market In March (photo) / Solar Energy Installations In Nigeria - Welcome To 24 Hours Electricity / The Cheapest Form Of Electricity In Nigeria Today Is....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by ciphoenix: 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
ayox2003:

First off, a segmented class exist in Nigeria: the poor (more than 50%), the middle class, and the rich (less than 10%).

Nigerians need 60,000MW yet we generate 4,500Mw. People need electricity and they would go to any length to get it at the cheapest price. For the poor, they would rather buy a small, less than $100 = N16,000 generator that they'd be able to fuel with $2 = N320 and would meet their energy needs because they stay small rooms. The middle class could buy a $600 = N95,000 generator that he would fuel with $40 = N6,500 per week. The rich spend much more.

Cheap is the nigerian slogan. Chinese products thrive in Nigeria because they are cheap. The one-off payment that might last longer and save more doesn't really matter to nigerians. Once they can afford a product at any time, even if it would later cost them more than buying an expensive product that would last longer and perform better, they don't mind buying it over and over again.

Solar pays on the long run but the one-time payment for installation is not cheap for the poor and some middle class. Hence, generators are preferred.

Frawzey

couldn't have said it better
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 10:41pm On Apr 08, 2013
ciphoenix:

couldn't have said it better

We are all in agreement on that front. That is why we have arranged a Consumer Financing package with a major bank, that allows us to offer credit terms to buyers, who are able to spread the cost of payment over 24 months.

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 10:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
NLG_woodey:

[b]Obviously, you are just a salesman. I can give you links to various websites such as Multi-Level Marketing firms that use graphs and data to project how much profit therein the business. Anyone can post anything online, which is why citing websites in projects are avoided and/or frowned at in researches.

Like a call center operator, you keep reading off your script without in depth knowledge of the technology you are marketing. Expert or no expert, I am engaging you here with a common sense. It is very expensive to instal a solar system that can power a whole house. If you have pictures of solar projects that you did, simply present it with the attendant cost analysis instead of embellishing plagiarized data.

You remind me of graduate students and their thesis with no real life experience. They just cram and quote numbers based
on other people's studies. Someone threw a challenge here---run a sample solar system in a house of your choice and
come back one year with the result.

I can bet that you don't have solar system in your house. Do you? If yes, show us pictures. If No, why not? Let me tell you your story. A solar production company invited you to a conference in a fancy hotel. They did their presentation or so-called training. They ran numbers by you and told you that they are listed on NYSE. Also, they had the financial backing of Banks X,Y,Z. Wow! What a nice opportunity...Nigerians here you come. LOL.

One thing I respect about Nigerians is that they are highly resourceful. You throw out any abracadabra like you just did, they will come back slinging. Got my drift?

I don't want to rain on your parade. You still need more marketing training with your parent company to really pull this off. People will ask questions. Good luck
[/b]

You can believe that the earth is flat all you want. It doesn't make it true.

You are going to look very foolish in the coming months.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by NLGwoodey: 10:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
Barcs:

You can believe that the earth is flat all you want. It doesn't make it true.

You are going to look very foolish in the coming months.

Can't wait. Good luck in your endeavours!
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by GeneralJ(m): 11:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
ayox2003:

First off, a segmented class exist in Nigeria: the poor (more than 50%), the middle class, and the rich (less than 10%).

Nigerians need 60,000MW yet we generate 4,500Mw. People need electricity and they would go to any length to get it at the cheapest price. For the poor, they would rather buy a small, less than $100 = N16,000 generator that they'd be able to fuel with $2 = N320 and would meet their energy needs because they stay small rooms. The middle class could buy a $600 = N95,000 generator that he would fuel with $40 = N6,500 per week. The rich spend much more.

Cheap is the nigerian slogan. Chinese products thrive in Nigeria because they are cheap. The one-off payment that might last longer and save more doesn't really matter to nigerians. Once they can afford a product at any time, even if it would later cost them more than buying an expensive product that would last longer and perform better, they don't mind buying it over and over again.

Solar pays on the long run but the one-time payment for installation is not cheap for the poor and some middle class. Hence, generators are preferred.

Frawzey

Sorry to say but you are kind of stupid ohh, so all the houses in lekki VGC GRA V.I Ikoyi, Abuja and all the other states equals less than 10% of Nigerians, the rich/middle clas of Nigeria is actually at about 30 -40% believe it or not
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by ifebosco: 11:32pm On Apr 08, 2013
sweet_gala:

Most eco friendly ideas in developed countries have an incentive, in U.K and Ireland there are grants and rebates on property/household tax etc, should be similar in most of E.U

I've been thinking with the vast expanse of otherwise useless land up north with almost 360 days of lashing sunshine.
we need to fiscalise our tax system in nigeria,and make it compossary that everybody above 21 most file their tax return every year.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 11:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
ifebosco: we need to fiscalise our tax system in nigeria,and make it compossary that everybody above 21 most file their tax return every year.

Nna bros supu oyibo... fiscalize, chai, oyibo agbaka m'isi. nwanne i jelu oxford grin grin grin

But wait o, how u go take do that one when u don't have policies in place?
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 11:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
NLG_woodey:

[b]Obviously, you are just a salesman. I can give you links to various websites such as Multi-Level Marketing firms that use graphs and data to project how much profit therein the business. Anyone can post anything online, which is why citing websites in projects are avoided and/or frowned at in researches.

Like a call center operator, you keep reading off your script without in depth knowledge of the technology you are marketing. Expert or no expert, I am engaging you here with a common sense. It is very expensive to instal a solar system that can power a whole house. If you have pictures of solar projects that you did, simply present it with the attendant cost analysis instead of embellishing plagiarized data.

You remind me of graduate students and their thesis with no real life experience. They just cram and quote numbers based
on other people's studies. Someone threw a challenge here---run a sample solar system in a house of your choice and
come back one year with the result.

I can bet that you don't have solar system in your house. Do you? If yes, show us pictures. If No, why not? Let me tell you your story. A solar production company invited you to a conference in a fancy hotel. They did their presentation or so-called training. They ran numbers by you and told you that they are listed on NYSE. Also, they had the financial backing of Banks X,Y,Z. Wow! What a nice opportunity...Nigerians here you come. LOL.

One thing I respect about Nigerians is that they are highly resourceful. You throw out any abracadabra like you just did, they will come back slinging. Got my drift?

I don't want to rain on your parade. You still need more marketing training with your parent company to really pull this off. People will ask questions. Good luck
[/b]

You have completely insulted me with your post, and the funny thing is, you don't actually know the first thing about me. More importantly, nor do you know the first thing about solar energy, it's applications, its cost, nothing.

You tell me that the cost of solar installation for a house is very expensive, without knowing even the first thing about what makes up that expense. If you engaged your brain before you began insulting me, you'd realise that you are making reference to installation costs in the West. If you'd even bothered to read one of my earlier posts on here, you'd have seen where i painstakingly describe what makes up the total cost of a solar installation.

So for a brief recap, here it is. Less than 50% of the cost of solar is actually the cost of hardware. More of the cost relates to what are called "Soft Costs" - Sales, Marketing, Labour, permits etc. Now, stay with me here - if the costs of Marketing, Sales, Labour and Permits in Nigeria are fully one tenth (10%) of what they are in the West, what does that do to the cost of a unit.

Now, for a brief business 101 class. I have 2 choices.

1. I can choose to maintain a very high selling price, commensurate with the price charged in, say the UK, and seek to make super profits on each sale (with the result of generating lower sales volumes - there's something called Price Elasticity of Demand - go look it up) or

2. I can choose to pass on the majority of those cost savings to my customers, making the product more affordable for them and thereby significantly increasing sales volumes. And whilst still maintaining a very healthy profit margin per sale.

Now, Mr Steve Jobs, please tell me - when entering a market with little to no competition, an enormous target market, and an enormous distribution channel, with the stated aim to be the dominant player in the market in short order, which business strategy would you advise I adopt?

Answers on a postcard please.

On second thoughts, please don't answer the question. I really am not interested in your response. The moment you turned a healthy debate into a personal insult, is the moment I disengaged. Respect and decency are qualities I live by.

I am a highly qualified, highly successful former finance and banking executive, who is also founder and CEO of one of the fastest growing recruitment websites in the UK and the US, and frankly, I don't have to accept personal insults from a person I don't know. My reputation and integrity are of paramount importance to me.

If you want proof of what i'm saying, please visit the following sites:

www.urecruitme.co.uk
www.urecruitme.com

On the .com site, scroll to the bottom of the Home Page, and there you will see a Video link to an interview with me on NBC news in Atlanta Georgia, discussing my business when I first launched there.

Actions speak louder than words - I'm a man of action, and not a keyboard warrior. You will see the product of my actions very soon.

Feel free to check out my LinkedIn page for further validation.

uk.linkedin.com/in/uvieugono/

Oh, and by the way, we have just launched our website. Feel free to visit it, and then tell me whether you think I'm a Marketer, or a businessman of substance, with a very credible plan to solving Nigeria's energy Crisis. You will hear more of Solynta Energy, of that I promise you.

www.solynta.com.ng

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by uzokebes(m): 12:13am On Apr 09, 2013
A 1kW PV solar power system (including installation) sells for N800,000, and produces 57,000 kWh of electricity over 25 years. The total cost of that system, including replacement costs of Inverters every 10 years, and batteries every 5 years, is N883,776. So, simply divide the cost by the number of kWh produced, and you get a cost per kWh of 15.5.

you did not take cognizance of the increasing rate of inflation in the country. you also claim it does not need maintenance? right? lets start with our street lights, how many of those solar powered street lights last up to a year? even at that, how many are bright enough at night?
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by feasy1(m): 12:47am On Apr 09, 2013
uzokebes, there could be several explanations why the solar street light are not functional months after installion.

1.What is the quality of hardware used(solar panel, battery etc), was there a specification given to the contractor or was it awarded based on nepotism as is the case with 101% of government project in motherland?
2. Was the contractor installed it to last few months or 25 years
3. How much of the approved budget was used to execute the project? I reckon some PAs had eaten about 50% of the contract value and the poor contractors were left to just install something and get their cheques after sign off.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by feasy1(m): 12:55am On Apr 09, 2013
uzokebes, there could be several explanations why the solar street light are not functional months after installion.

1.What is the quality of hardware used(solar panel, battery etc), was there a specification given to the contractor or was it awarded based on nepotism as is the case with 101% of government project in motherland?
2. Was the contractor installed it to last few months or 25 years
3. How much of the approved budget was used to execute the project? I reckon some PAs had eaten about 50% of the contract value and the poor contractors were left to just install something and get their cheques after sign off.

BTW, where I live in the Middle East there are solar street light that has been operational for years
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by mrjingles(m): 1:03am On Apr 09, 2013
Very interesting thread, one of the best in recent times. First off I am no expert on kilowatt and panels and all the technical stuff but I do understand finance. I think all the guyz asking for "proof" of the OPs numbers are really trying to prove academic points, it reminds of the age old battle between academics and investors, academics will say "you cant beat the markets, the research proves it" the successful traders don't respond with numbers they only smile and say "that's why you will remain academics"

I do not really expect any serious business man to reveal how he manages to reduce costs significantly to gain an edge on the competition so asking him to produce proof is a non starter. If the claims that Barclays bank is backing this project is true then my brothers the questions you are posing here are child's play compared to what this guy must have faced because those banks along with their co-investors would have torn the business plan apart and ALL technical and financial details MUST add up or else he would be laughed out of the room, if you guys who have NOTHING at stake are asking this much imagine what people who have their behinds on the line would have asked.

If you guys want to have all the details just call him up and propose a LARGE investment and you will get the full business plan with all the technical and financial details to last you a month of sundays (of course you will sign an ND agreement)

To the op I say CARRY ON, no idea deserves to succeed except it is at first laughed at. wish you all the best, to the naysayers I say only time will tell so make una siddon look.

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 1:14am On Apr 09, 2013
mrjingles: Very interesting thread, one of the best in recent times. First off I am no expert on kilowatt and panels and all the technical stuff but I do understand finance. I think all the guyz asking for "proof" of the OPs numbers are really trying to prove academic points, it reminds of the age old battle between academics and investors, academics will say "you cant beat the markets, the research proves it" the successful traders don't respond with numbers they only smile and say "that's why you will remain academics"

I do not really expect any serious business man to reveal how he manages to reduce costs significantly to gain an edge on the competition so asking him to produce proof is a non starter. If the claims that Barclays bank is backing this project is true then my brothers the questions you are posing here are child's play compared to what this guy must have faced because those banks along with their co-investors would have torn the business plan apart and ALL technical and financial details MUST add up or else he would be laughed out of the room, if you guys who have NOTHING at stake are asking this much imagine what people who have their behinds on the line would have asked.

If you guys want to have all the details just call him up and propose a LARGE investment and you will get the full business plan with all the technical and financial details to last you a month of sundays (of course you will sign an ND agreement)

To the op I say CARRY ON, no idea deserves to succeed except it is at first laughed at. wish you all the best, to the naysayers I say only time will tell so make una siddon look.

No one is trying to play "academics" here, but simply asking realistic questions. After all, academic concepts in finance do not change, no one asked for his business plan or strategies, according to the OP, his target market will definitely be the middle/upper class who will ask him the same question.

If you cannot convince your audience, whether Barclays is providing financing or not, that will be the defining moment for success and failure. Besides, he said (at least what I read) that Barclays through ecobank will be providing the financing for the consumer.

The consumer pays installment payments to them (whatever the arrangement is). After all, the solar company that collapsed after Obama injected $500million was a sound start-up with prospects but they FAILED. There are many companies that failed and while a few succeeded with govt grants.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 1:15am On Apr 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Okay.
The government in Lagos had at one time installed solar lighting for the streets and major highways all over Lagos, between 2007 and 2008. I even know the company who was working on this, Stormberg Engineering.
The lighting have all failed, and many of them are now being replaced by regular street lighting, powered by generators. Care to explain why this has happened? After all, it is 'basic technology used all over the world'.

Also, someone has explained to you the cost sensitivity of most Nigerian households. I think it would require some level of R and D to produce solar installations that would be efficient, durable, as well as pocket friendly. For example, Hyundai and Haier have been marketing 10kva petrol generators that are selling for under N120,000 in Nigeria. Don't you think some R and D on the part of the Chinese was required to come up with these products, considering that most of the Japanese alternatives do not have a rated output of up to 6kva, and costs three times as much as the Chinese products?

Maybe the challenge is with my use of the phrase 'R and D'. I'm a product person, and to me, R and D is needed to introduce any product into any market. You won't bring solar panels into Nigeria from Australia and expect them to be an instant success. Though I suspect you already know this, and are using this thread to drum up interest in your product undecided

Hi

Firstly of all, my apologies for the delay in responding to your post - I literally have only just seen this post, as I was swamped with lots of posts, not to talk of a tonne of work to do in order to launch the company at the start of May.

I'd like to address your points in turn if I may - please bear with me.

1. To my mind, the single biggest problem currently afflicting the nigerian business community is the utter disregard for quality workmanship, or procurement of the correct equipment. I cannot vouch ( obviously) for the specific reasons as to why the Solar Lighting installed did not work, but I would say with near 100% certainty, that whatever the problem was has nothing to do with the efficacy of Solar energy. Corruption and malfeasance would no doubt have played a role, this is all too depressingly familiar in Nigeria. How can I be certain of this? For 1 major reason.

All manufacturers of a new product offer comprehensive warranties as standard. It is impossible that these lights were, if actually purchased as new, were not covered by a warranty of, at a minimum, 1 year. Therefore, if, as you say, they stopped working within a few months of installation, why were they not immediately replaced with new ones, as would automatically be the case with a product covered by warranty. Why would the purchaser of the product from the (presumably, Chinese) manufacturer not have gone back screaming blue murder at his suppliers for supplying him with defective goods? No, logic and common sense tells me that they failed to work not because the goods were purchased new and had fault, but because the suppliers either procured defective products in order to make Super Profits, or else failed to install them properly. Given they are an Engineering firm, I doubt the latter. So the products must have been defective. The distinct lack of replacements as would automatically be ones right, leaves a strong suspicion in my mind that the installers were complicit.

I have seen horrendous examples of precisely this practice in my home state, Delta. Solar Installation costing over $500,000 literally not working from day 1. Everyone bemoaning the shoddy quality of goods. However, one look at the so called installation by supposed experts very quickly revealed that they did not have the first clue what they were doing. Panels almost entirely covered in shade, facing the wrong way (north) and at a 45 degree tilt (should be closer to 10 degrees given Nigeria's proximity to the equator).

2. I'm well aware of the cost sensitivity of Nigerian households. Believe it or not, the average UK household is equally as cost sensitive. In fact, I'd argue that they are more cost sensitive as they have less disposable income. Everything here runs on credit - prior to the credit crunch in 2008, it was very cheap and plentiful (3% borrowing rates etc). Without credit, the UK economy would collapse almost immediately. It is only through the provision of credit facilities that people are able to afford the products and services they do.

The very first thing I did before seeking to launch the company was to negotiate a significant line of credit from a major Nigerian bank, supported by Barclays Bank in the UK. This will enable us to directly offer Consumer Financing to all our customers, who are required to put down a 20% deposit, followed by 24 monthly payments. The monthly payments are no higher than what they currently spend on diesel, except that after 2 years, payments stop. Forever. This will make our products affordable for a far larger number of customers.

You will also appreciate that a business cannot expect to sell to every single person straight away. It must segment its market and execute its sales and marketing strategy accordingly. I have segmented our market into the following:

Commercial Market - easiest market to sell into, for obvious reasons
Residential Market - top quartile - this consists for the rich, affluent and middle classes. They are either able to buy in cash, or will certainly easily qualify for our finance product
2nd quartile - the lower middle and working classes, with a lesser household income. This segment won't be able to afford our standard packages, so we have devised bespoke starter packages enabling them to build up their solar capacity over time, until they reach full energy independence. Our financing package also helps in that regard.

I'd make a final point about the Chinese manufacturers. I have SIGNIFICANT contacts within the this market (my best friend lives and run a business out there, acting as a go between for UK companies looking to develop new products, but without the contact lists on the ground). So I can tell you with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY, that the quality of goods they ship to Nigeria will not pass inspection here in the UK. They'd be sent back at the port. This is not because the Chinese dislike us and want to dump crap products on us. No, it's specifically because Nigerian businesses that order from them REQUEST that the cheapest materials are used so as to save money and maximise profits. This is a commonly known fact among the Chinese manufacturing economy. Again, the very simple concept of manufacturers warranty comes into play. If you are not happy with the quality of the goods sent by your manufacturer, you immediately claim against the warranty. This costs the factory money, and will likely bankrupt them (competition amongst factories our there is extremely fierce), so there is no way they would knowingly supply sub-standard goods without the complicity of the importer.

This I know for an absolute fact, both through my friend, but also with my personal dealings with them.

Finally, for your point about R&grin. I totally disagree with this point. The products in question have been extensively tested in a variety of environments, and indeed, are successfully deployed in many countries with very similar if not identical climates as Nigeria. There is absolutely no additional testing required to install a simple monocrystalline solar panel in Nigeria.

This statement is akin to saying that, even though a car is put through the most rigorous testing in some of the world's most rugged terrains, it must still first be tested on Nigerian roads before being sold there. I'm sure you'll agree with me that this is simply not required.

Regards

Uvie

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by mrjingles(m): 1:32am On Apr 09, 2013
manny4life:

No one is trying to play "academics" here, but simply asking realistic questions. After all, academic concepts in finance do not change, no one asked for his business plan or strategies, according to the OP, his target market will definitely be the middle/upper class who will ask him the same question.

If you cannot convince your audience, whether Barclays is providing financing or not, that will be the defining moment for success and failure. Besides, he said (at least what I read) that Barclays through ecobank will be providing the financing for the consumer.

The consumer pays installment payments to them (whatever the arrangement is). After all, the solar company that collapsed after Obama injected $500million was a sound start-up with prospects but they FAILED. There are many companies that failed and while a few succeeded with govt grants.

My brother lets be realistic which average banker will ask about discount rate, efficiency ratios and all the other things that have been thrown around? The question they will ask is simple DOES IT WORK? I'm not the man selling the product, he's the only one who can answer that but to say they wil ask the same questions you are asking isn't true for a very large segment of customers. The major obstacle is the general skepticism about solar power. As for solyndra issue I will do a simple analogy, Lehman brothers failed, does that make investment banking a bad business? Enron collapsed, does that make the energy business a lousy business, Fisker is in meltdown so electric car is a dead business?
As the academics would say, the collapse of one company is not statistically significant to draw conclusions.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 1:34am On Apr 09, 2013
GeneralJ:

Sorry to say but you are kind of stupid ohh, so all the houses in lekki VGC GRA V.I Ikoyi, Abuja and all the other states equals less than 10% of Nigerians, the rich/middle clas of Nigeria is actually at about 30 -40% believe it or not

Sir, I applaud you. You are of course entirely spot. on. Renaissance Capital's recent comprehensive study puts the number of Nigeria's middle class at 23%. See attached report. It makes for very interesting reading. They are very bullish on the nigerian economy, and I must say, I am too. It's why after 25 years in the wilderness, I'm returning to contribute my quota to our great country.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 1:45am On Apr 09, 2013
mrjingles:

My brother lets be realistic which average banker will ask about discount rate, efficiency ratios and all the other things that have been thrown around? The question they will ask is simple DOES IT WORK? I'm not the man selling the product, he's the only one who can answer that but to say they wil ask the same questions you are asking isn't true for a very large segment of customers. The major obstacle is the general skepticism about solar power.

You have summed up this entire thread better than I could have. Spot on in every way.

In answer to the question of does it work, let me assure you that not only does it work, but it will completely transform the Nigerian economy within 10 years. It is my destiny to be the man who delivered energy freedom to our great country.

Many will scoff no doubt - this is to be expected. Afterall, was Marconi not very nearly committed to a mental asylum for suggesting that a magical thing called radio waves existed.

If I'd said to you 15 years ago that today, nearly all nigerians would have access to a phone, what would you have said?

I have no doubt that people will refer to these pages in 5 years and say, "I remember when he first gave notice of his plans, and had scorn poured over them". The scorn I receive gives me the added fuel needed to achieve my objectives. When I'm tired after working 18 hours straight building up what i believe will become one of the most successful companies in Nigeria, I will read through many of the comments on here and use it as a boost to put in the extra hour or two before I sleep. Most importantly, it gives me the immense motivation to prove that the products I will sell are of the very highest quality, and it is indeed possible for people of nigerian extraction to exhibit business morals, vision and execution of the very highest world class standards.

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by mrjingles(m): 1:52am On Apr 09, 2013
My brother carry go! Those saying "it can't be done" are only disturbing those doing it with noise. When Mr. Ford mooted the idea of a six cylinder engine the engineers said it was impossible, we know how that story ended. Just press on with it....erm shey u will do a private placement later? smiley
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by NLGwoodey: 1:56am On Apr 09, 2013
Barcs:
www.urecruitme.co.uk
www.urecruitme.com

On the .com site, scroll to the bottom of the Home Page, and there you will see a Video link to an interview with me on NBC news in Atlanta Georgia, discussing my business when I first launched there. Actions speak louder than words - I'm a man of action, and not a keyboard warrior. You will see the product of my actions very soon....bla bla bla bla ...
Oh, and by the way, we have just launched our website. Feel free to visit it, and then tell me whether you think I'm a Marketer, or a businessman of substance, with a very credible plan to solving Nigeria's energy Crisis. You will hear more of Solynta Energy, of that I promise you. www.solynta.com.ng
Regards
Uvie

Wheeeewww...all these grammar just to sell one solar panel.
Ol' boy you go talk tire for naija.

You sure do need your temper checked.
Send across your email address and I will send to you a list of solar system marketers in Abuja.
One of them used to work for the WOrld Bank and has an office in Maitama close to Transcorp Hilton.
He will educate you more and possibly guide you as you venture into Nigeria with your unique
dream project.

By the way, I like your very professional looking website.

Once more, Good luck. We need more Dangotes Uvies. Kudos

cool
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 2:02am On Apr 09, 2013
mrjingles: Very interesting thread, one of the best in recent times. First off I am no expert on kilowatt and panels and all the technical stuff but I do understand finance. I think all the guyz asking for "proof" of the OPs numbers are really trying to prove academic points, it reminds of the age old battle between academics and investors, academics will say "you cant beat the markets, the research proves it" the successful traders don't respond with numbers they only smile and say "that's why you will remain academics"

Thank you. You are absolutely spot on in pretty much everything you have said. I have managed to get backing of not just one but two banks (the second being Ecobank) - I won't bore you with the details of how and why this structure was proposed, but suffice to say that in order to get Export Credit Agency guarantees from the UK ECA, this was the most optimal structure.

I have literally spent all day battling back and forth with guys trying to drill down on, frankly, irrelevant numbers. As you rightly say, there is a world of difference between an academic and an investor. The latter is only interested in the efficacy of your business plan, strategy, management team, market size, distribution channel, marketing strategy etc. Basically, they only care whether or not you can make money. All the rest, they really are not interested.

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 2:11am On Apr 09, 2013
NLG_woodey:

Wheeeewww...all these grammar just to sell one solar panel.
Ol' boy you go talk tire for naija.

You sure do need your temper checked.
Send across your email address and I will send to you a list of solar system marketers in Abuja.
One of them used to work for the WOrld Bank and has an office in Maitama close to Transcorp Hilton.
He will educate you more and possibly guide you as you venture into Nigeria with your unique
dream project.

By the way, I like your very professional looking website.

Once more, Good luck. We need more Dangotes Uvies. Kudos

cool

Thank you. It means a lot. It's been a long day, and I may have allowed my temper to fray somewhat.

Please reach me at uvie.ugono@solynta.com.ng

It's much appreciated.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:18am On Apr 09, 2013
GeneralJ:

Ma guy, if you look closely, all those estates and houses all over Lagos are owned by a handful of not up to a thousand people.

They build these estates and rent it out to the middle class folks that can afford it....

i think you're quite ignorant though!!.....

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31am On Apr 09, 2013
After Going through your article over again, i have to say that you stand a good chance of succeeding.

- Well, assuming i was you..... my target market would be the middle class/upper class homes and businesses... and i would adopt the option of selling at a lower price in order to Up sales (at risk of making less profits) and increase your popularity. Good works speaks for itself.

Best of Luck.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 3:35am On Apr 09, 2013
mrjingles:

My brother lets be realistic which average banker will ask about discount rate, efficiency ratios and all the other things that have been thrown around? The question they will ask is simple DOES IT WORK? I'm not the man selling the product, he's the only one who can answer that but to say they wil ask the same questions you are asking isn't true for a very large segment of customers. The major obstacle is the general skepticism about solar power. As for solyndra issue I will do a simple analogy, Lehman brothers failed, does that make investment banking a bad business? Enron collapsed, does that make the energy business a lousy business, Fisker is in meltdown so electric car is a dead business?
As the academics would say, the collapse of one company is not statistically significant to draw conclusions.

Well then, good luck to him.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Mugono: 8:28am On Apr 09, 2013
mrjingles:

My friend, you are absolutely spot on. I've spent a number of years working as an actuary consulting multi-national companies in the City of London, Canary Wharf. Clients are not concerned with the complexities of actuarial mathematics! Their primary concern is on the result; what is the capital or profitability impact!

All too often those with a passion for a subject get bogged down with the details (which is natural given it's a passion) but sometimes lose sight that the majority of people are less interested.

Mudi
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by sweetgala(m): 8:47am On Apr 09, 2013
manny4life: @Barcholder,

Why don't you throw open your own calculation?

I really want to see how you arrived at your own calculation given a 17% capacity factor less low interest rate you assumed in financing.

Please post something similar, not necessarily in Excel sheet (though it will help), but something very basic will suffice.

I don't think he ever said their panels would be able to exceed 17% but he has confirmed they can expect between 14-17% efficiency which in their opinion is about 90% of expected maximum efficiency over 25 years.

Seems the peculiar Nigerian virus of "not wanting better for the next man and seeing no good coming to or out of Nigeria" has infected you guys.

Encourage the young man rather than put him down at every turn.
Good luck bachelor, keep us informed on the progress of your pilot.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by magman: 8:53am On Apr 09, 2013
Like someone rightly pointed out, SOLAR isn't cheap @ the moment though the calculation may indeed reflect it being cheap over the lifespan of the panels but it isn't. If panels become cheaper to produce and install, Nigeria's rising middle class will for sure embrace it. get your ups, inverters, rectifiers and solar lightings systems installed or repaired quickly and at an affordable cost. with up to one year warranty, fairly used products also available.
call- 08054177006 or 08083443417. techmart147@gmail
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Afolabs101: 9:19am On Apr 09, 2013
Beaf!:
@poster

I have a 5KVA inverter with 200x4AH deep-circle batteries, six solar charging panels. I enjoy lights, TVs, fans etc for as long as possible. But I wouldnt dare connect my ACs, Refrigerators, Electric kettles, irons etc.

I cant afford to install a higher capacity inverter.

Tell me, how can I write off PHCN?

I'm in the same boat but with a 1kva inverter.

The Op is not being completely truthful. No house with incendiary devices such as kettles and boilers and other equipment such as deep freezers, ovens, microwaves, AC's etc can go completely energy independent. You would not have enough space for all the solar panels. These panels take up a lot of space, so if you need a lot of electricity, you better live on a farm.

Majority of the middle class live in rented homes in the urban areas, try telling your average landlord that you're gonna be putting solar panels on his roof undecided

Solar is good for back up but is not yet at the level where it can be used exclusively. And I don't like you're condescending tone as if Nigerians are not smart enough to embrace solar. When it becomes cheaper and more effective we will. For example, most street lights on Lagos streets and in Lagos estates use solar powered lights, because it makes sense.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 9:33am On Apr 09, 2013
Afolabs101:

The Op is not being completely truthful. No house with incendiary devices such as kettles and boilers and other equipment such as deep freezers, ovens, microwaves, AC's etc can go completely energy independent. You would not have enough space for all the solar panels. These panels take up a lot of space, so if you need a lot of electricity, you better live on a farm.

Majority of the middle class live in rented homes in the urban areas, try telling your average landlord that you're gonna be putting solar panels on his roof undecided

Solar is good for back up but is not yet at the level where it can be used exclusively. And I don't like you're condescending tone as if Nigerians are not smart enough to embrace solar. When it becomes cheaper and more effective we will. For example, most street lights on Lagos streets and in Lagos estates use solar powered lights, because it makes sense.

It is advisable, if you are going to accuse a person of being dishonest, to at least be armed with something even remotely approaching fact. Anybody on this thread with even the remotest knowledge of energy will instantly realise that your knowledge of it is approaching zero. It is akin to a person who proclaims to be a Chess champion opening up by moving his pawn 4 squares diagonally. No further discussion on the subject is necessary.

It might perhaps do you some good to research the energy usage rates per household, worldwide, and then work backwards to figure out how much roof space is required. Because if you did, the utter folly of statement would instantly reveal itself. In fact, limit your research to the average energy consumption of Canadian and USA homes, significantly the highest worldwide. Then work out how many panels are required to generate that level of energy. Hint, you'd do well to also research peak energy hours in both countries compared to Nigeria. Do this, and I promise you would have actually learned something.

My condescending tone comes when people such as yourself liberally use phrases such as "the OP is being dishonest", not "I think the OP is wrong". And yes, your statement displays a total ignorance on your part of Solar Power. You are simply just plain wrong. Full stop.

It's amazing the massive resistance to change there is - and by the way, so you are clear, I fully anticipated this level of hostility and resistance. It is largely for this reason that our initial launch strategy is to focus almost exclusively on the Commercial sector, who are a much easier sell. Guess what, when you frequent your local Supermarket, Barber, Restaurant, Bar etc, and notice that they are all powered by Solar Energy, your scepticism will disappear. The reference point for the efficacy of Solar Energy will no longer be the much fabled "Street Lights that don't work", but will instead be real and local businesses using Solar to power their establishments. As provided and installed by a company that genuinely wants to provide the best service and product possible, for the greater good, as opposed to the proliferation of rogue traders who roam the country, pretending to be experts and simply stealing people's money.

As I've been advised very well by my key adviser on the ground, "Nigerians only believe in what they can see and touch". Our strategy has been designed to account for this

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcs: 10:12am On Apr 09, 2013
Afolabs101:

If my tone has come across as overly aggressive, then I apologise for that. But please understand that I find accusations of dishonesty difficult to take, because they are simply not true. It goes against all that I am and stand for. Remember something, I didn't grow up in Nigeria, so I'm not used to having to deal with such a torrent of negativity and scepticism, even though I fully understand why that is. In the UK, businesses by and large operate honestly and with integrity. If you get poor products or service, there are many avenues of recourse, not least the power of Social Media to potentially destroy a business. This is evidently not the case in Nigeria - which gives us a tremendous opportunity to gain great market share simply by adhering strictly to commonly followed business practices here in the UK and the USA.

Oh, and on your landlord point, you are wrong. They are proving to be one of the most interested buyers because they can purchase the systems and then charge their tenants for the provision of 24 hours electricity, obviously at a profit.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by magman: 10:16am On Apr 09, 2013
TO ALL: from my 12yrs experience in solar/renewable energy, solar energy is best on the long run if developed countries that dont have enough sunlight are embracing solar/wind energy in other to cut cost and be energy independent why dont we that have the sun all year round take advantage of it now or is it when every house in developed states have its own power source and they disconected from the national grid our government will go and buy those old equipments and give us. techmart147@gmail.com
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by emiye(m): 10:25am On Apr 09, 2013
tbaba1234: Disadvantages

i. Solar energy generally raises the price of electricity when it is on the grid...

ii. It is not yet competitive in most markets, it is improving but it is not there yet....

iii. Areas with plenty sun and little heat are best for it.... Nigeria's heat intensity does not exactly favour it. Heat degrades the system faster.

iv. Inefficient and intermittent

v. Expensive

vi. Can only be used where there is little obstruction to sunlight.

vii. It is difficult to make returns on investment without government incentives

Advantages:

i. It is clean energy

ii. Very small maintenance cost

iii. create jobs...

iv. You can possibly make a return on investment

Thanks for this info, the op failed to answer my question on the first page, that you have done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nnadi Chimaobi Michael Builds A Drone In Enugu (Photo, Video) / The Big Differences Between 4G And 5G / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.