Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense (1757 Views)

Problems Encountered By The Introduction Of The New Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit / Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit Now Free-nigerian Police. / Permit For Factory Tinted Glass? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by LANRYUS(m): 10:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
A gus send this to me via BB and I wish to share it with you all.

"Don't you think this issue of tinted glasses is absolute nonsense?! Most SUVs come with factory fitted tinted glasses. Now, the Nigeria Police require an owner to get a permit for this. This permit costs btw 15k & 25k. How does the permit prevent the use of a car for crime? The same criminals can still pay and get it. Or should I change my windows that are factory tinted as UV protective windows from hot sun rays? Or I should go and replace them after buying them from manufacturers because the police are not competent enough to tackle crime appropriately? I don't have to obtain a tint permit? Haba! For Nigerian citizens to be subjected to any sort of whims, directives and caprices of the IGP is ludicrous! The payment for tinted windows permit is another avenue for corruption by the police as the money will never reflect in the federation account. It is obvious some police oga at the top are getting emaciated because the tips from road blocks are no longer coming in. What is more annoying is how our tons of lawyers and professionals are allowing this travesty to go on unchallenged! We must say a resounding NO to this obnoxious and vexatious directive from the IGP! The policy shows the laziness and incompetence of the police hierarchy who cannot think of better ways to combat crime. This is downright clear, broad daylight extortion and can only happen in Nigeria because leaders believe that they have the most docile and weak citizens that can NEVER speak up for themselves. If you want to stand up and fighting for your right on this then please re-broadcast this. Don't let the IGP and his ilk take us for mumu or ignoramus. Don't let them milk us of our cash. LAWYERS, stand up against this! All social & traditional media ACTIVISTS need to stand up against this! Dont siddon look and watch and allow this country further go to rot. Its easier for the police to monitor the few tinted vehicles that are alleged to be used for crime. Where are we going in this country
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by sheedy407(m): 11:02pm On Apr 09, 2013
Even if anoda continent join us re-broadcast am,dem no go change am cos bfor dem implement am,dem don pass am for senate and alredi signed and dis oga at the top dem,watin dem talk dey stand cos we citizen no get mouth,if I lie,check subsidy removal,as we ginja reach,who still win?

1 Like

Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by LANRYUS(m): 10:03am On Apr 10, 2013
sheedy407: Even if anoda continent join us re-broadcast am,dem no go change am cos bfor dem implement am,dem don pass am for senate and alredi signed and dis oga at the top dem,watin dem talk dey stand cos we citizen no get mouth,if I lie,check subsidy removal,as we ginja reach,who still win?

you are correct to some extent, however, is this how we will continue. removal of subsidy, amnesty to terrorist group, bad road, no job, epileptic electricity etc and we still feel that everything is ok? hhnm Nigeria!
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by makizee(m): 10:52am On Apr 10, 2013
Absolute Rubbish...it doesn't bother me and my folks anyway...i think those that are bothered are people who do it on their sedans as in after market things ( and probably too dark )...make i see the policeman wey go stop me dey yarn dust untop my factory tinted windows..
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by calculusx(m): 10:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
“All glasses fitted to a vehicle shall be clear and transparent to enable persons outside the vehicle to see whoever is inside the vehicle and the glasses shall in no way be tinted except as may be approved by the Inspector-General of Police for security reasons.”

According to Section 1 (1) of this Act, except with the permission of the “appropriate authority” and for “good cause”, “no person shall cause any glass fitted to a vehicle to be tinted, shaded, coloured lightly or thickly, darkened or treated in any way so as to render obscure or invisible persons or objects inside the car”. Under the Act, it is also an offence to aid, counsel or procure the commission of the offence. From the reading of the law, it is clear that the law made no distinction between manually-fitted tints and factory-fitted tints.

Owners of vehicles with tinted glass are therefore mandated by law to seek the authorization of the IGP before deploying such vehicles on our roads, whether such vehicles came with factory tints or whether the tints were manually fitted. However, by the operation of Section 3 of the Act, such persons – importer, buyer, donee — have 14 days grace, from the date of the purchase of the car or the date of arrival of the car in Nigeria (whichever is applicable) to either remove the tint or obtain the tinted glass permit.

The good news, however, is that the law authorises the appropriate authority (in this case the IGP) to issue tinted permits to Nigerians on health and security grounds if they are so qualified. Persons desirous of obtaining tinted glass authorisation are advised to follow the following steps:

(a) Write a formal application to the IGP for the use of factory-tinted glass, stating the reason for use, bearing in mind that approval of such an application is predicated on health or security reasons only.

(b) Applications should be accompanied with the following:

(i) Photocopies of all relevant particulars of the vehicle.

(ii) Photograph of the vehicle.

(iii) Profile of the applicant with relevant background information.

(iv) Passport-size photograph of the owner of the vehicle.

(v) Any other supporting document/information that may help to justify the request.

The Police authorities conscious of the fact that some unscrupulous police officers may take advantage of the new regime of enforcement to engage in the harassment and extortion of helpless motorists[/b], have issued strong warnings to all policemen charged with the responsibility of enforcing the law to ensure that they act within the confines of the enabling laws and the Police Code of Conduct at all times. Command Commissioners of Police have been charged to ensure strict supervision of men deployed for these duties while the IGP Monitoring Units have been empowered to arrest and bring to book any officer found acting in a manner inconsistent with his or her oath of office. Police officers are also warned to desist from harassing Nigerians who have already obtained valid tinted glass permits, as provided by the extant laws.

Finally, the Inspector-General of Police calls for the support, understanding and cooperation of all Nigerians, including corporate citizens as the Force embarks on a strict enforcement of the tinted glass laws.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/concerning-tinted-vehicle-glass-all-you-need-to-know/

The English is just too much to interpret, which one do we follow cos the said criminals can as well apply for Tinted Permit? At the end nothing is achieved.
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by elektra80: 5:28pm On Apr 14, 2013
LANRYUS: A gus send this to me via BB and I wish to share it with you all.

"Don't you think this issue of tinted glasses is absolute nonsense?! Most SUVs come with factory fitted tinted glasses. Now, the Nigeria Police require an owner to get a permit for this. This permit costs btw 15k & 25k. How does the permit prevent the use of a car for crime? The same criminals can still pay and get it. Or should I change my windows that are factory tinted as UV protective windows from hot sun rays? Or I should go and replace them after buying them from manufacturers because the police are not competent enough to tackle crime appropriately? I don't have to obtain a tint permit? Haba! For Nigerian citizens to be subjected to any sort of whims, directives and caprices of the IGP is ludicrous! The payment for tinted windows permit is another avenue for corruption by the police as the money will never reflect in the federation account. It is obvious some police oga at the top are getting emaciated because the tips from road blocks are no longer coming in. What is more annoying is how our tons of lawyers and professionals are allowing this travesty to go on unchallenged! We must say a resounding NO to this obnoxious and vexatious directive from the IGP! The policy shows the laziness and incompetence of the police hierarchy who cannot think of better ways to combat crime. This is downright clear, broad daylight extortion and can only happen in Nigeria because leaders believe that they have the most docile and weak citizens that can NEVER speak up for themselves. If you want to stand up and fighting for your right on this then please re-broadcast this. Don't let the IGP and his ilk take us for mumu or ignoramus. Don't let them milk us of our cash. LAWYERS, stand up against this! All social & traditional media ACTIVISTS need to stand up against this! Dont siddon look and watch and allow this country further go to rot. Its easier for the police to monitor the few tinted vehicles that are alleged to be used for crime. Where are we going in this country

I know Nigeria police are not competent enough, but I don't agree with u 100%. Most countries have laws concerning tinted glasses on vehicles and the level of tint allowed. I've lived outside the country and know what I'm saying. You don't just pick a vehicle with dark tinted glasses and start driving around without tint permit, it's never done anywhere. I am not supporting the police because even if u don't have the permit, they will still collect egunje from u and let u go. But asking owners to get a permit is at least one step in the right direction.

In advanced countries, u don't just tint ur glass, it's only on special medical recommendations that u are allowed to drive a tinted glass and the level of tint must be included in the medical papers. How many of us in this this country that drive tinted cars have such papers?
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by LANRYUS(m): 9:54am On Apr 18, 2013
elektra80:

I know Nigeria police are not competent enough, but I don't agree with u 100%. Most countries have laws concerning tinted glasses on vehicles and the level of tint allowed. I've lived outside the country and know what I'm saying. You don't just pick a vehicle with dark tinted glasses and start driving around without tint permit, it's never done anywhere. I am not supporting the police because even if u don't have the permit, they will still collect egunje from u and let u go. But asking owners to get a permit is at least one step in the right direction.

In advanced countries, u don't just tint ur glass, it's only on special medical recommendations that u are allowed to drive a tinted glass and the level of tint must be included in the medical papers. How many of us in this this country that drive tinted cars have such papers?

according to you permits are given on on SPECIAL MEDICAL RECOMMENDATIONS, but here in Nigeria everybody with tinted glass are to go and get permit from the police on payment of N20,000.00 ONLY. my questions are since when did NPF become revenue generating agency for the government? Is there a way to confirm the criminal intent of a prospective applicant(s) and I tell you our police at a road block will only be interested in sighting the permit without further check on the occupants of the vehicle, whether they carry arms or explosive will not be his problem.
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 18, 2013
elektra80: In advanced countries, u don't just tint ur glass, it's only on special medical recommendations that u are allowed to drive a tinted glass and the level of tint must be included in the medical papers. How many of us in this this country that drive tinted cars have such papers?

Urmm, not strictly true.

In the US and UK, you can even run Limo tint, which is the darkest you can go. As long as the tint is limited to glass from the rear doors back. The glass on the front doors and windshield can be tinted, but no more than 75% for the front doors, and 70% for the windshield. Factory tinted glass is 70% for the windshield, and 75% for all other glass (excluding some SUV's or wagons with optional darker glass from the rear door glass backwards).
Re: Don't You Think The Issue Of This Tinted Glass Is Absolute Nonesense by bravolad(m): 10:42am On Apr 18, 2013
Asking owners of vehicles with factory fitted tint glasses to get permit is highly permissible under the current security circumstances in Nigeria. The permit also comes with a cost but certainly not upto N20,000 as some people have widely speculated.

The only problem I have observed with the Nigerian police is that they are out to look for those who do not have such document and exploit or extort them. The police are also not interested in checking if such vehicles are carrying explosives or any of the incriminating materials. Once they see the permit, they let you go without looking through the vehicle.

(1) (Reply)

My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... / Q & A On Coasting In Neutral For Automatic Gear / Chinese Company Unveiled An Exact Copy Of Range Rover Envogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.