Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Going Kindle In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Going Kindle In Nigeria (7165 Views)

Amazon Kindle Publishing! Does It Work In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Kindle In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
How Nigerian Book Lovers can tap into the advantages of reading Kindle Books

I first got introduced to Kindle books in 2010, when I downloaded hundreds of free books off the internet. Unlike many of the books I had gotten off the internet before which were all in .pdf format, these were in .mobi format, a type of file I had never heard of before.

A little Google’ing educated me to the fact that the .mobi format was a new eBook format which could be read on Amazon’s Kindle and various other e-reading devices. Determined to read my new free books, I downloaded the Kindle reader for desktop computers. This wonderful software from Amazon enabled me to read my new books on my Laptop. This was good except for the fact that I was spending my best reading hours (those spent commuting to and from work), unable to read because my laptop was at home. I became determined to own a Kindle.

In the meantime, I discovered that Kindle has software for mobile devices, iPads, iPhones, and Blackberries. Unfortunately I was using a phone at the time for which there was no Kindle reader, so I downloaded the mobipocket reader. I used it to read all my Kindle books then, I doubt that this software is still available. I heard that the company had been purchased by Amazon.

In July 2011, I bought a Kindle, because Amazon didn’t ship to Nigeria at the time, I had to give the money to a colleague who was going to the United States. He bought a Kindle Keyboard 3G and brought it back to me. My Kindle is the single most important electronic device in my life. With 4G of memory I can save thousands of books. There are many different types of kindle. You can check them out here.

These days Amazon ships to Nigeria, or so I have been told. So if you order a Kindle with your Naira MasterCard, you should be able to receive it in no time.

So how would you get books? As I’ve already stated, my first books were free books downloaded off the internet, mostly from sites like www.gutenberg.org. However these are mostly public domain books, i.e. books with expired copyrights that can be legally distributed for free. If you want to read the latest bestselling books, you can get them by -

• Purchasing them from Amazon’s Kindle Store: You need an Amazon account to do this. When you purchase a book from Amazon for your Kindle it downloads into your Kindle device via wifi almost immediately. So if you see a book you like, you could be reading it in less than a meeting,

• Getting your friends with Kindles to lend them to you via Amazon’s Kindle owners lending program,

• Get them for free when the Author or Publisher does a free promotion – and these happen fairly frequently.

Here are a couple of helpful links.

Amazon's Buy a Kindle page - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZNZG0/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=laggirromser-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B007OZNZG0&adid=08D6Q85BESPJQKGGA2YV&

Kindle top 100 - Paid and Free - http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=laggirromser-20

Kindle for Devices - http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&docId=1000493771&linkCode=ur2&tag=laggirromser-20
Re: Going Kindle In Nigeria by olekugames: 7:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
Fearless03: How Nigerian Book Lovers can tap into the advantages of reading Kindle Books

By Somi Ekhasomhi

I first got introduced to Kindle books in 2010, when I downloaded hundreds of free books off the internet. Unlike many of the books I had gotten off the internet before, which were all in .pdf format, these were in .mobi format, a type of file I had never heard of before.

A little Google’ing educated me to the fact that the .mobi format was a new eBook format which could be read on Amazon’s Kindle and various other e-reading devices. Determined to read my new free books, I downloaded the Kindle reader for desktop computers. This wonderful software from Amazon enabled me to read my new books on my Laptop. This was good except for the fact that I was spending my best reading hours (those spent commuting to and from work), unable to read because my laptop was at home. I became determined to own a Kindle.

In the meantime, I discovered that Kindle has software for mobile devices, iPads, iPhones, and Blackberries. Unfortunately I was using a phone at the time for which there was no Kindle reader, so I downloaded the mobipocket reader. I used it to read all my Kindle books then, I doubt that this software is still available. I heard that the company had been purchased by Amazon.

In July 2011, I bought a Kindle, because Amazon didn’t ship to Nigeria at the time, I had to give the money to a colleague who was going to the United States. He bought a Kindle Keyboard 3G and brought it back to me. My Kindle is the single most important electronic device in my life. With 4G of memory I can save thousands of books. There are many different types of kindle. You can check them out here.

These days Amazon ships to Nigeria, or so I have been told. So if you order a Kindle with your Naira MasterCard, you should be able to receive it in no time.

So how would you get books? As I’ve already stated, my first books were free books downloaded off the internet, mostly from sites like www.gutenberg.org. However these are mostly public domain books, i.e. books with expired copyrights that can be legally distributed for free. If you want to read the latest bestselling books, you can get them by -

• Purchasing them from Amazon’s Kindle Store: You need an Amazon account to do this. When you purchase a book from Amazon for your Kindle it downloads into your Kindle device via wifi almost immediately. So if you see a book you like, you could be reading it in less than a meeting,

• Getting your friends with Kindles to lend them to you via Amazon’s Kindle owners lending program,

• Get them for free when the Author or Publisher does a free promotion – and these happen fairly frequently.

Amazon's Buy a Kindle page - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZNZG0/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=laggirromser-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B007OZNZG0&adid=08D6Q85BESPJQKGGA2YV&

Kindle top 100 - Paid and Free - http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=laggirromser-20

Kindle for Devices - http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&docId=1000493771&linkCode=ur2&tag=laggirromser-20

Somi Ekhasomhi is a Nigerian Kindle user, and the Author of two Novels and a Short Story set in Lagos, Nigeria. She blogs at www.lagosromanceseries.com. Her Amazon Author page can be viewed at http://www.amazon.com/Somi-Ekhasomhi/e/B009GLSR0O/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&qid=1365612056&sr=1-2-ent&tag=laggirromser-20

You can get Amazon Giftcards,itunes Giftcards, Facebook Credits, Playstation Network Cards, and
Xbox Live Points !
at www.giftcardsnaija.com.
Lowest Cost and Instant Delivery !
Re: Going Kindle In Nigeria by HenryO49: 12:04am On Aug 05, 2013
Fearless03: How Nigerian Book Lovers can tap into the advantages of reading Kindle Books

By Somi Ekhasomhi

I first got introduced to Kindle books in 2010, when I downloaded hundreds of free books off the internet. Unlike many of the books I had gotten off the internet before, which were all in .pdf format, these were in .mobi format, a type of file I had never heard of before.

Somi Ekhasomhi is a Nigerian Kindle user, and the Author of two Novels and a Short Story set in Lagos, Nigeria. She blogs at www.lagosromanceseries.com. Her Amazon Author page can be viewed at http://www.amazon.com/Somi-Ekhasomhi/e/B009GLSR0O/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&qid=1365612056&sr=1-2-ent&tag=laggirromser-20

you think, you hear, you'v been told Bleep... can you say for sure?

i just checked amazon.com and Nigeria is not supported in anyway; they dont ship to Nigeria and there is no kindle content in Nigeria.
Re: Going Kindle In Nigeria by felucci(m): 9:30am On Aug 16, 2013
Actually you can buy Kindle books in Nigeria and this I have written about here: http://www.usaddress4nigeria.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?b=shopping&bn=1&m=6. You just need basically 2 things: US credit card on file and a US ip address.
Re: Going Kindle In Nigeria by wakes: 8:02am On Jun 28, 2015
HenryO49:

you think, you hear, you'v been told Bleep... can you say for sure?

i just checked amazon.com and Nigeria is not supported in anyway; they dont ship to Nigeria and there is no kindle content in Nigeria.
Check again.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Direction From Ikorodu To Iyanapaja / Traffic Violation Punishment? / Nairalanders You Missed During 'downtime'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.