Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual (2306 Views)

Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" / A Young Girl, 5, Wanders From Mushin To INEC Office Yaba Says Her Father Is Dead / Things You Should Never Say To Your Partner During A Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 6:57pm On Apr 11, 2013
I am baby sitting two of my nieces whose parent travelled. One of them came to me an hour ago to showed me her stained pant, in frightened voice she ask me what's happenening. The first thing I did was to tell her to take her bath and then showed her how to use a pad.
It is now time for girls talk and I'm tempted to tell her the same thing her mother told me when I saw mine which is don't played with boys. Also she told me if anyboy touches me I would instantly be pregnant.
What should I tell her? Should I tell her the same thing?
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by repogirl(f): 7:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
Hi LVMJ, I laugh tire when I read this, my own mother told me no let man 'meet' you from now on since you don dey see your time.
I'm quite surprised she doesn't know what it is yet when my 3 year old here sef has an idea.
Just be truthful to her sha, what age is she? 9? 10? 12? Depending on d age, tell her once every month it happens like dis for a few days and shows she's grown up now. Give her a little sex education too while you are at it. Ask her what she already knows abt it, answer any questions and leave the rest for her mama, hope I helped.
Wonder how I'll tell my own daughter when she comes of age.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by aadetoyin(f): 8:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
Tell her its part of growth and that now she can even have babies grin
But she shouldn't allow any uncle, brother or male friend in sch or at home to touch her chest and her privates else she will get PREG. Its often beta to tell them the truth. And if any man tries to touch her in the said areas she should SCREAM and run for her dear life.

1 Like

Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 8:21pm On Apr 11, 2013
repogirl: Hi LVMJ, I laugh tire when I read this, my own mother told me no let man 'meet' you from now on since you don dey see your time.
I'm quite surprised she doesn't know what it is yet when my 3 year old here sef has an idea.
Just be truthful to her sha, what age is she? 9? 10? 12? Depending on d age, tell her once every month it happens like dis for a few days and shows she's grown up now. Give her a little sex education too while you are at it. Ask her what she already knows abt it, answer any questions and leave the rest for her mama, hope I helped.
Wonder how I'll tell my own daughter when she comes of age.
Lol,Repo thanks, she will be 12yrs this july. She has an idea what it means. She was even arguing with me that is not mestrual but jedidi. Oversmart they do am that is why I have to talk to her.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 8:51pm On Apr 11, 2013
aadetoyin: Tell her its part of growth and that now she can even have babies grin
But she shouldn't allow any uncle, brother or male friend in sch or at home to touch her chest and her privates else she will get PREG. Its often beta to tell them the truth. And if any man tries to touch her in the said areas she should SCREAM and run for her dear life.
Thanks, I just finished talking to her. Then she ask me a question that I am not in a position to answer but her mum.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 11, 2013
You did very well when you showed her how to use a pad.
Tell her that it happens monthly and that it happens TO EVERY GIRL / WOMAN (all around the world wink )
Tell her what she can do to get rid of pain when she suffers from it.
Tell her that she also might suffer from premenstrual symptoms and give her tips on how to handle them.
Offer her to answer any questions she has or will have.

It's the time a girl needs the warm support of another experienced lady very much.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 11, 2013
luvmijeje:
Thanks, I just finished talking to her. Then she ask me a question that I am not in a position to answer but her mum.

What question is dt? wink
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 2:55am On Apr 12, 2013
carefreewannabe: You did very well when you showed her how to use a pad.
Tell her that it happens monthly and that it happens TO EVERY GIRL / WOMAN (all around the world wink )
Tell her what she can do to get rid of pain when she suffers from it.
Tell her that she also might suffer from premenstrual symptoms and give her tips on how to handle them.
Offer her to answer any questions she has or will have.

It's the time a girl needs the warm support of another experienced lady very much.

Wow thanks.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 3:12am On Apr 12, 2013
alutacontinua:

What question is dt? wink
She is very exuberant when it comes to greetings. One of the things we discussed was for her to limit the ways she greets i.e hugging and holding especially the male folks. Then she ask me including her dad? I no fit answer dat question o.

1 Like

Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by greatgod2012(f): 5:11am On Apr 12, 2013
luvmijeje: Am baby sitting two of my nieces whose parent travelled. One of them came to me an hour ago to showed me her stained pant, in frightened voice she ask me what's happenening. The first thing I did was to tell her to take her bath and then showed her how to use a pad.
It is now time for girls talk and I'm tempted to tell her the same thing her mother told me when I saw mine which is don't played with boys. Also she told me if anyboy touches me I would instantly be pregnant.
What should I tell her? Should I tell her the same thing?

i doubt, if at almost 12 yrs old, she doesnt have idea of what is happening to her body, at least, she must have been in secondary school now, and they must have been taught in their basic science and home economics subjects, so, i believe she was just pulling your legs.
Meanwhile, having been taught does not mean they dont need s. ex education at and from home, because she will be freer to ask any question at home than from any other place, including the school. Now to what you will tell her.........pls, when telling her, use the real words, dont try to be diplomatic about it at all, call every part its name...........tell her......
-shes now a lady, no more a girl.
-what happened to her is a sign that shes now a lady, and the sign will be coming every month, and its called monthly period.
-she shouldnt feel ashamed about it, all ladies and women pass thru the same thing.
-guys will want to be around her now, therefore, she should be careful and very observant with them, because they can lure her into s..ex now, which can lead to her getting pregnant when shes not ready for it, which may put an obstacle to her future dreams, and unfortunately, shes the only one who will suffer for it, because it doesnt affect the boys, they will continue their education, while you will be at home nurturing pregnancy and baby, and that only a few ladies get second chance and she might not be that fortunate then, therefore, she should be extra-careful with guys.
-her body will start to develop rapidly now, including her bwests, and she will start to have hair in some part of the body like armpit and v..agina, she should always take care of those places very well and shouldnt for any reason allow anyone to touch her in those places, be it man or woman.
-during the time of her periods, she might experience pain, she shouldnt be afraid, almost all women experience it, its called PMS(premenstrual syndrome).
-a lady carries herself with dignity, therefore, she should limit all the girls and boys play,because shes now a lady, she should carry herself well like a lady.
@op, very many points here, give her total sex education.
Its our duty to let these young ones be educated sexually, having been educated, they guard their lions with it.
May God help us all.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by greatgod2012(f): 5:17am On Apr 12, 2013
luvmijeje:
She is very exuberant when it comes to greetings. One of the things we discussed was for her to limit the ways she greets i.e hugging and holding especially the male folks. Then she ask me including her dad? I no fit answer dat question o.

why cant you answer that, tell her she can hug, kiss, hold her dad, but the day dad start saying, "you are now a big girl o, and trying to touch your bwests or trying to do something funny with her, she should inform mum straightaway, before things go beyond imagination, so many wierld things are happening now, so, not keeping quiet is one of the preventive measures one can take, when her mum comes back, tell her what you told her daughter when she was away.
May God help us all.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 11:55am On Apr 12, 2013
greatgod2012:

i doubt, if at almost 12 yrs old, she doesnt have idea of what is happening to her body, at least, she must have been in secondary school now, and they must have been taught in their basic science and home economics subjects, so, i believe she was just pulling your legs.
Meanwhile, having been taught does not mean they dont need s. ex education at and from home, because she will be freer to ask any question at home than from any other place, including the school. Now to what you will tell her.........pls, when telling her, use the real words, dont try to be diplomatic about it at all, call every part its name...........tell her......
-shes now a lady, no more a girl.
-what happened to her is a sign that shes now a lady, and the sign will be coming every month, and its called monthly period.
-she shouldnt feel ashamed about it, all ladies and women pass thru the same thing.
-guys will want to be around her now, therefore, she should be careful and very observant with them, because they can lure her into s..ex now, which can lead to her getting pregnant when shes not ready for it, which may put an obstacle to her future dreams, and unfortunately, shes the only one who will suffer for it, because it doesnt affect the boys, they will continue their education, while you will be at home nurturing pregnancy and baby, and that only a few ladies get second chance and she might not be that fortunate then, therefore, she should be extra-careful with guys.
-her body will start to develop rapidly now, including her bwests, and she will start to have hair in some part of the body like armpit and v..agina, she should always take care of those places very well and shouldnt for any reason allow anyone to touch her in those places, be it man or woman.
-during the time of her periods, she might experience pain, she shouldnt be afraid, almost all women experience it, its called PMS(premenstrual syndrome).
-a lady carries herself with dignity, therefore, she should limit all the girls and boys play,because shes now a lady, she should carry herself well like a lady.
@op, very many points here, give her total sex education.
Its our duty to let these young ones be educated sexually, having been educated, they guard their lions with it.
May God help us all.
Thanks. She was indeed pulling my leg cos on my way to office this morning I was about to teach her how to make use of the calender, she exclaimed, that the company producing always came to their school twice to talked and also gave them a booklet that also contains calender.
When I get home today, all what you adviced, she is going to hear it from me.
Infact she will hear it everyday till her parents come back.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2013
greatgod2012:

why cant you answer that, tell her she can hug, kiss, hold her dad, but the day dad start saying, "you are now a big girl o, and trying to touch your bwests or trying to do something funny with her, she should inform mum straightaway, before things go beyond imagination, so many wierld things are happening now, so, not keeping quiet is one of the preventive measures one can take, when her mum comes back, tell her what you told her daughter when she was away.
May God help us all.

GBAM! straight to the point answer.
Don't bore her with the talks too much, saying it everyday till her parents come might become boring. There's one kind of irritability that comes with that age/time that things get to piss you off easily. Besides, I can bet it with you that she already knows all what you're telling her, she's just pulling your legs. At 12 years old nowadays, do you know how many people in her class are already in the business Trust me, just say your part and be a good big sister, that's all there is to it. Send my congratulations to her grin grin grin and tell her to be a good woman!
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by luvmijeje(f): 7:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
alutacontinua:

GBAM! straight to the point answer.
Don't bore her with the talks too much, saying it everyday till her parents come might become boring. There's one kind of irritability that comes with that age/time that things get to piss you off easily. Besides, I can bet it with you that she already knows all what you're telling her, she's just pulling your legs. At 12 years old nowadays, do you know how many people in her class are already in the business Trust me, just say your part and be a good big sister, that's all there is to it. Send my congratulations to her grin grin grin and tell her to be a good woman!
I will definitely tell her.Thanks
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Balkan(m): 11:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
I think mothers should start talking to their daughters early enough about this. My elder sister saw har own while we were playing outside. She thought she injured herself somewhere.
She was in primary six then. We hid it from our parents for two days meanwhile blood was still coming out . We were scared that our parents will kill us for playing rough. It was a long
Story.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
^^I'm soo scared embarassed I will kill a cow that day(s embarassed)
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by greatgod2012(f): 6:20am On Apr 13, 2013
jidegirl12: ^^I'm soo scared embarassed I will kill a cow that day(s embarassed)

what are you scared about?

And killing cow for what?
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 12, 2013
jidegirl12: ^^I'm soo scared embarassed I will kill a cow that day(s embarassed)
so u r still below 12?
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 12, 2013
luvmijeje, nice thread, but unfortunately we'd all boys in my family so never seen it happen 2 any b4. My story HOPE AND THE ISLAND OF GREATNESS is now back. Real question competition is on about d story now. We'd on questn 13 for this WK?
Questn 13
Who advised Mother witch to dump Hope in d PIT OF PIT VIPERS?
follow this story: HOPE AND THE
ISLAND OF GREATNESS...answer
questions based on d story nd win lil lil
prizes : www.nairaland.com/1224953/
hope-island-greatness-fiction-allegory
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by repogirl(f): 6:33am On Sep 12, 2013
^^u know u are courting a ban, right?
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
Don't be.
Be properly equipd and d earlier d better.
I've not been opportuned to have a young gal around me so I can tutor her.
Its a great privilege.

, that's why I love u, black and white is it.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2013
Chai!!!God please spare me this awkward moments with daughters embarassed
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 12, 2013
byvan: Chai!!!God please spare me this awkward moments with daughters embarassed
R u planning for baby number ?
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by MrsChima(f): 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
You did great. wink
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by mysticgal(f): 5:31pm On Sep 12, 2013
i have had the opportunity of discussing this topic with a younger girl,and all the posters above bared my mind and please when discussing with her i advice you bring a chart.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
R u planning for baby number ?

Number 3 grin,by God's grace,it ll be a "He",so I won't have to give this menstruation lecture grin
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 12:37am On Sep 13, 2013
greatgod2012:

what are you scared about?

And killing cow for what?

You don't know the tradition? You don turn oyinbo finish? grin

Sammy Hoe:
so u r still below 12?

Yeah still a V cool

yellowpawpaw:
Don't be.
Be properly equipd and d earlier d better.
I've not been opportuned to have a young gal around me so I can tutor her.
Its a great privilege.

, that's why I love u, black and white is it.

Thank you jare , don't wanna think bout it sef.
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 13, 2013
"Better enjoy this cus its gonna be this way till your teeth starts to fall off"
Re: Advice On What To Say To A Young Girl Who Experienced Her First Menstrual by star4(f): 2:19am On Sep 14, 2013
You did the right thing wink

I think personally it's good to start young and at age appropriate times, teach a little to your girls about their bodies and how they will change as they get older. Instead of waiting til they see blood it's good to prepare them to almost know what to expect.

My mother told me nothing and I eventually felt I couldn't go to her with anything. Thank God for my elder sister!!

My girls are 6 and 9 and when they ask questions I'm free with the answers and try to be as honest as possible.. to their comprehension of course.

I have taught them the underwear rule. The only person who has permission to touch the area covered by their under wear is themselves. That's their private space. Simple.

(1) (Reply)

Am I On The Right Track? Pls Advise! / Help; My Two Boys Fights A Lot / The Tragic Story Of How A White Girl Being Born Black Tore A Family Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.