Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,724 members, 7,851,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:25 PM

How To Avoid Delay In Nigerian Port - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Avoid Delay In Nigerian Port (782 Views)

Chad Troops In Nigerian Town For Boko Haram / Stripping Self To Avoid Arrest In Nigeria - A New Trend / Funny Phrases Used In Nigerian Newspapers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Avoid Delay In Nigerian Port by adisarasaq(m): 7:52pm On Apr 11, 2013
Delay is a major issue in the Port recently, Importers have lost substantial amount of money, i`ve lost a good customer also due to delay so we want to look at the cause of the delay and also how to avoid them

1, FALSE DECLARATION: False declaration is when you don`t tell the truth about what you are having inside your container or your vehicles, false declaration is when your vehicle is 2010 but you as an Importer or your Agent perfect the document to read 2005, false declaration is when your goods are 20%duty but you decided to change it to 5%duty. You may escape during the documentation but you can`t escape when it`s time for physical examination. If after physical examination your goods has discrepancies, then you are not only going to delay your goods but it`s an offense and it may get you in to jail and also going to cost you more money.

2, WRONG DECLARATION: Wrong declaration is another problem that causes delay in the Port, this happened to me some months back. I had four items in a container, 3 Printing Machine while the last one was Ink for printing which was wrongly declared. The document reads: 460 litres of Ink for Printing, while in the container we found 23 cartons of Ink for Printing. Each carton contain 4 gallons of 5,litres.
So 5,litres by 4 gallons by 23 cartons the total still remain 460,litres, my document
supposed to declare 23 cartons instead of declared it as one unit.
Though it was not a false declaration but wrong one, i was referred to the CPC for proper checking. End of the day i did not pay any additional duty but wasted a lot of time and also pay more rent.

3, WRONG IMPORTER`S NAME ON THE BILL OF LADING: This one is big issue but only few people knows about it. We should try to avoid names with title like Pastor, Imam, Barrister, Inspector, General, Commander, Reverend and many more like this. The reason is, Shipping company will request for your
Identity card either International passport or Drivers license before releasing your goods to your Clearing Agent in order to be sure that they (Clearing Agent) are truly representing you. And you know that your Identity will not carry any of these title but your real name. This will create misunderstanding between Shipping company and the Clearing Agent. Some times you may need to be present before your goods will be release to your Agent. Imagine you are in the US and your Agent need your attention in Nigeria...what will you do? So let the real name on your Identity reflect on your B/L.

4, MONEY ISSUE: I am sorry to say this...because if you don`t have money you wouldn`t make any shipment but believe me many people make shipment without having money to clear it. but what they don`t realize is that they are enriching Shipping company more and more at their own expense because no company will allow you to go without paying all the accumulated rent.

5, UNTRUTHFUL CLEARING AGENT: This one is a bomb, i am an Agent my self and i`m not trying to play a saint here but the truth is that some Clearing Agent are not trustworthy. It happen on a daily basis where Agent will collect money from Importer and spend it even before the Vessel arrived and when the Vessel arrived it`ll be one story after another. But i think those that fall victim of this act are those Importers that are always looking for cheap price like one of my brother who wanted me to clear 2006 car for 180,000. Agents who charges very cheap may be having money problem with previous goods giving to them by another Importer so they need money so bad to extent that they will accept any amount you offer them just to solve their problem.
Please beware of untruthful Agent if your Agent charge higher and deliver quick stick with him.

6, CHOOSE COMPETENT CARRIER(SHIPPING COMPANY): I think this should be number one, on the list choosing good and competent carrier should be number one priority. Many shipping company have good service at the Port of loading but when getting to Port of discharge here in Nigeria they wouldn`t care if you are unable to take delivery of your goods for more than a month after discharge as long as you must pay for the rent. Ask your Agent which Shipping company is better and if you don`t
have an Agent yet ask people. For me i will say GRIMALDI is the best for now.

This should be a little helpful.

(1) (Reply)

How Do Nigerians Celebrate Father's Day / Which Forum Do You Think It Not Functioning On Nairaland?.. / 10 Silly Ways To Die In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.