Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? (23187 Views)

How I Made It To Sweden From Nigeria To Study For My Master’s Degree / Polytechnic Or Pre Degree .which One Shld I Go For / 1 Year To Up Degree-which Way In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Acidosis(m): 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
e.code:

I know what I'm talking about. In my line of career, hardly will you find Masters as the requirement for employment/promotion. That goes to show how irrelevant it's fast becoming. Hence, the reason i opts for professional exams though not ruling the fact that i wont go for it later. When it comes to both, i give much preference to Professional exams. To even buttress my point more, If you are in the accounting profession, don't ever think you are going to be ahead of someone with ACCA Certificate, Never! It largely depend on your chosen career. In Nigeria, experience don't give you promotion but certificates does!!! Op, define your line of career and know what's best to go for.

I hear you sir..

But the bolded part is a 'hasty conclusion'
Thats irrelevant in the civil service i.e Federal, State & Local govt. You'll always get your promotion when due but your maximum level/position is directly proportional to your qualification.

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by wonlasewonimi: 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
HARDDON:

schools are like la cram la pour?

ever heard of dumps when professional exams are involved?

There are some prfessional certs where the integrity of their exams are still intact.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by ecode1(m): 2:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
PBundles: Hi E.Code.

To some extent it depends. In my line of work I have close contact with the Big Accunting firms and what I see to be honest is that registered accounts dont head departments, but those with diploms do (Masters, PhD etc). The RAs that I have seen head have a diploma next to their RA. Now Im strictlty speaking about in Europe and US so I cant say how it is in Nigeria, but this is MY experience and I work with different firms all the time.

In Nigeria, someone with ACCA, ICAN etc. is given so much accolade than someone with Masters in Accounting profession. Hence the reason they are always ahead.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Xaviers(m): 2:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
kcy: guys,i am undergraduate in microbiology dept.pls, i need u to enligting me more on the issue of master and prof exam.

Chei! Y dat course na?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by ecode1(m): 2:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
Acidosis:

I hear you sir..

But the bolded part is a 'hasty conclusion'
Thats irrelevant in the civil service i.e Federal, State & Local govt. You'll always get your promotion when due but your maximum level/position is directly proportional to your qualification.

Either directly or indirectly, we are still saying the same thing but mind you, civil service i.e Federal, State & Local govt are out of my point of view. Private institutions are more credible/transparent to a large extent when it comes to the issues of promotion than any government institution where "my oga at the top have a great influence"
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by PBundles(m): 2:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
HARDDON you have a very valid point that should not be overlooked. I call it the proliferation of diplomas and certificates. Though some are more guilty than others, all have some guilt. What I have seen is that the last decade pushed by the urge to fill positions in a deamanding global society coupled with the fact that governments are pushing everyone to get educated, whats happening is that qualification are being churned out whereas one needs to see the quality. I must say that you see it more in the diploma world (colleges, business schools MBA etc) than professional certificates, but they are also guilty. At the end of the day one should choose a well regarding school and choose to learn. I know may MBA graduates that are not worth the 3 letters after their name.

HARDDON:

schools are like la cram la pour?

ever heard of dumps when professional exams are involved?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Jarus(m): 2:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
I read economics too.

For me, it's professional exams first, Masters later.

Being ICAN-qualified opened doors for me.

Although there were a couple of times when not having Msc stalled some chances for me e.g openings relating to international organizations.

But overall, I think I'm better off doing professional exams before Masters.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by tsmith(f): 2:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
It depends on a number of factors; where you are and plan to be in terms of location and career. In the Uk for example, professional qualification specific to the job (plus experience of course) carries more weight than degrees.

I have a Bsc in Economics too, and then in Nigeria, a master's degree was (possibly still is)highly regarded. Came to the UK for an 18months masters degree in Entrepreneurial Studies, but now work in Project Management with a 1week Prince2 qualification. My BSc & Master's were totally irrelevant in the recruitment process. Also, very few of my bosses have University degrees but rather truck loads of professional qualifications.

That been said, once you have thought through the above, i will advise that if it's a Master's, then make in as diverse and versatile as possible, so you don’t limit your employment opportunities, you can afford to specialize when it comes to PQs. I have seen many people waste quality time and resources with Master's specializing in too 'narrow' areas, unless you are a professor or researcher, there is no point boxing yourself in if you get my drift.

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Baadal(m): 2:54pm On Apr 15, 2013
Pls awse...kindly recommend any professional course for a Geography graduate
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Lovinwa: 3:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
M.sc Industrial Biochemistry OR M.sc Public health, which one has more employment oppotunities in Nigeria?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Maximus17(m): 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
ICAN all the way
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by ncee(f): 3:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
Wot professional courses r best for someone dat read Statistics?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Acidosis(m): 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2013
Lovinwa: M.sc Industrial Biochemistry OR M.sc Public health, which one has more employment oppotunities in Nigeria?
Msc Public health

But are you ready for the task? moving from community to community to inject polio vaccine and other Northern flu
grin

MSc Ind. Biochem is a grammatical postulated empty course..
It's only relevant in the four walls of a campus

Biochemistry itself is a course with narrow opportunity and now you'll further trim the narrow nature with the term 'industrial'. Do not forget the fact that most Biochemistry graduates end up in hospital labs, competing with Medical Lab Scientists & others.

If you must study Biochem why not apply for Medical Biochemistry
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by wonlasewonimi: 3:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
ncee: Wot professional courses r best for someone dat read Statistics?

Go and hone your MS office skills like Excel and Visio and be a data analyst!

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Gabrielsylar(m): 3:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
pursue christ

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by GENTLETEE(m): 3:46pm On Apr 15, 2013
I will advise you to go for your masters after which u can consider any professional program of choice.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by GENTLETEE(m): 3:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
I will advise you to go for your masters after which u can consider any professional program of choice. They are not on the same level. I believe one can do a professional course without necessarily getting a first degree here lies the difference. Dont do your masters with the hope of getting a better job as it could be frustrating afterwards.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by stpat1(m): 3:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
Masters
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by tundelomo(m): 4:29pm On Apr 15, 2013
Acidosis:
Msc Public health

But are you ready for the task? moving from community to community to inject polio vaccine and other Northern flu
grin

Biochemistry itself is a course with narrow opportunity and now you'll further trim the narrow nature with the term 'industrial'. Do not forget the fact that most Biochemistry graduates end up in hospital labs, competing with Medical Lab Scientists & others.

Acidosis:
Msc Public health

grin

Acidosis:
Msc Public health

grin

. More reason I prefer medical microbiology than industrial microbiology.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by bhadico: 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
Caracta: Professional exams. Trust me, those exams would serve as a boost in your career, especially if you are in Nigeria. Do we really learn in schools? La cram, la pour things. With professional exams, you can have qualifications even outside your career path. Be wise! cheesy

Just because you didn't learn at school doesn't mean everyother person didn't..if you la cram la pour..I didn't..proffesssional exam is better immediately after your B.sc..lot of comfortable timetable Forr M.sc as you move up the ladder
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by deolu2000(m): 5:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
@all: please i need a similar advise,am presently serving and have B.sc in Industrial Chemistry,if i were to take professional courses which courses are available for me and what M.sc course is best related to my field,thanks.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by AK481(m): 5:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
wonlasewonimi:

Go and hone your MS office skills like Excel and Visio and be a data analyst!

And work in your father's company?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by wonlasewonimi: 5:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
AK 48:

And work in your father's company?

Do you have a father?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by oluagness(m): 5:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
maninmood: If you are in computing field, professional exams would be the best bet, otherwise stick to Masters
kindly outline the professional exam in computing that are accepted by civil service. Is computer professional registration council of Nigeria CPN exam allowed?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by donigspain(m): 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
Baadal: Pls awse...kindly recommend any professional course for a Geography graduate
I studied Geography and Meteorology. I'll advice you go for Health, Safety and Environment (HSE Level 1, 2 & 3) as well as Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). If you've got enough resources you may choose to crown it up with Project Management Professional (PMP). You'll never regret it.
God's grace!
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by UjSizzle(f): 6:25pm On Apr 15, 2013
Professional exams carry more weight in Nigeria than Masters do. But I'd advise you did both. Start with a professional exam first and after that, pursue your masters.
I'm a Bsc. Econs holder too and already on my professional path.
I won't advise you did both at the same time tho esp if you're working. They are time consuming and each require maximum attention most especially the professional exam.
You could also try a business school(lagos biz schl)...that could help you get a lot of contacts smiley.
ICAN, CIPM, CITN, ACCA, and maybe an FCA afterwards if you can afford to are good professional bodies.

Remember everything in this life is about adding value to yourself and making what you've got relatively more appealing than what the next person has.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by omoelu1(m): 6:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
hello fellow nairalanders,i have love for computers nd i want to be a computer/programmer. is is better i go to university to study computer science or i go to vocational schls nd write some professional exams. i rilly nid advice on dis. thanks in advance.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by 360degree(m): 7:24pm On Apr 15, 2013
Your request depends on your needs and your level. Professional Qualification will equip you with technical skills on your job particularly when you are still under supervision. However, you will require MBA to prepare yourself for managerial responsibilities. So, you actually needs to be technically skillful with the aids of your professional qualification before approaching the middle management level where you need to prepare yourself for managerial responsibilities. however, if you have the means you may pursue the two at the same time.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Cotton(m): 7:42pm On Apr 15, 2013
Nice topic and a topic that I've had to discuss with several in-laws and my own family members. Having worked at various levels with large organisations as an employee and now currently self employed, I would say that professional exams are more important to the average employer than your MBA. I have had the unfortunate experience of interviewing several MBA holders who don't just cut it. While the professional people have a better idea of what needs to be done. Personally I would not employ an MBA holder over a qualified professional. Now I know that the executive MBA is regarded as a professional qualification but having gone through both I would still hold the professional (non MBA) in higher regard.

Basically there have been a lot of sensible posts but the main thing is what do you want to do as a career? If you want to be an academic then obviously MBA is the way.

I wish you luck, because none of the paths are easy... wink
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Slickest(m): 8:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
profstar:
MHEEN! We are wearing the same shoe, i'll like to know you more, people please advice us, because you are bettering the life of new graduates
u can reach me on 08094745912
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by UjSizzle(f): 8:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
melojames: Ceteris Paribus....Fellow Economists, i love how you guys are helping out......Please I would like to know if it's okay to get a job first, then further my education with a professional course & MBA while still working.
you can decide to work while at it or i don't see how you plan to pay for it. However i must point out that it is really tasking combining work and all that read. But then it's all about sacrificing to get what you aim for. If you are in your first job, you may experience some difficulty adjusting to work and classes but it'll get better. Just prepare yourself both physically and mentally for what lies ahead. All the best.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by teexzle: 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
Gboyega weldone..I can't just stop reading your post on here..kp it up
GboyegaD:

The question still drives down to what do you really want to do in the near future? Until you are sure, it is going to be difficult for you to ascertain which is best as each of them have their benefits. I am an economist and I work in banking for about 4.5years without any professional/masters at that time because my dream was well defined. Now I am pursuing my dreams and without any regret whatsoever. Therefore, in the interim, do not jump into any of the two, take your time, think about what you truly love to do and then choose which is most appropriate for you. Remember, it isn't all about the money you can make but the fulfillment of doing what you want to matters most.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? / OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels / Top Ten Universities In Africa 2019 - Qs' Rankings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.