Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,623 members, 7,816,563 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? (11352 Views)

White Man Urinating In Public In Lagos (photos) / Policeman Orders Woman To Bare Her Breast In Public Or Be Arrested (photos) / 6 Things You Must Not Do Before You Sleep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by amdman: 6:24pm On Apr 15, 2013
sagytarius™:
[b]Heck no! This is one strong factor as to why pple die in road accidents.
Besides praying to God for safe-journeys, we should also play our own role in being safe all through the journey by being on wide alert.

When we are asleep, we become unconcious of our immediate environments and the movements of our bodies are defined by the movement of the vehicle.

And when the mishap occurs, u'll see peoples head-butting dangerous parts of the vehicle. Some are even trown out of the window, and next thing is.... he's dead.

Now, I'm not saying you won't die or sustain injuries if u are awake but while u're u are awake and fully aware of the second-by-second events going on around you, you can easily position yourself for the least impact!

On several occasions when I don't get enough sleep during the night before my travel, I still muscle-out keeping awake all through the journey. It may appear difficult apparently, but I must stay awake!

My 2shillings.
[/b]

Sleeping while travelling (particularly via road) is one dangerous habit everyone should consider quitting. In those days wjen I used to do emergency night travels, we left Lagos by 11pm for Benin. Obviously the driver was feeling sleepy because he kept stopping at intervals to smoke or drink something (those are the ones I observed o, because I was seriously sleeping.

Just before Okada and about 4am, the driver ran into a stationary truck that had broken down on the road. Now, I was sitting right behind the driver and that's suppossed to be a 'safe' spot. But I hit my face against the back of the driver's seat (because I was sleeping) and quickly came awake. Unaware of how I was looking and with blood running down my face, I managed to get another car to benin and walked into the emergency ward of University of Benin.

By this time, my face was all puffed up with damage to my nose. Another guy that was brought in from Delta State with similar injuries passed on like 2hours after he walked into the emergency ward with his family members. I eventually spent about a week in the hospital (just two weeks to my wedding) and still have a slightly shifted nasal structure.

So if you are the safety consious type, pray for safety before you start the journey, THEN KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

1 Like

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by simdam500(m): 6:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
No, i dont sleep and i dont recall ever doin it. Cos i ave so many things to think bout, most especially, when am travellin a long distance alone, i cant get ma mind of thinkin of life, love, challenges, hatred, yesterday, today, tomorrow and xxxstories to be sincere. Lolz
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
I hate travelling ao I would rather sleep while travelling than stay awake to battle migraine & any nauseous feeling
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Biim: 6:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
Yes I do, especially if it is an hour + journey. Even if I don't feel like sleeping I force my to. I have this motion sickness thing (I don't know the right word for it) sleeping sometimes prevent me from having it.
I am always conscious that I am in a public vehicle so I don't sleep deep and I wake up from time to time let's say every 5 to 10 minutes depending on the distance I am going.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by vinibabe: 6:38pm On Apr 15, 2013
Temismith: Sleeping in a bus is stil better naow! I know som1 dat sleeps on a bike(okada)! Lols. Funny dou, but its true gringringringringrin

Are you serious? LOL
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by andyanders: 6:55pm On Apr 15, 2013
In a public transport, nope. I have done that in an aircraft. Nigeria to Spain at night flight,while on transit, yes I did,but from Madrid to NY, never did.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by omodapson(m): 7:06pm On Apr 15, 2013
I was once claiming the perfect passenger that would never sleep in any commercial vehicle and I kept through to my words but not until I found myself in Lagos. I would leave house very early in the morning as it is with most office workers, especially those working on the Island but living somewhere on the mainland.

I usually didn't leave office until it was around 8pm to 9pm everyday. I used to leave office exhausted and going home at night you still had to struggle for BRT, and most times I was standing. From then on, it became a regular habit to sleep in the bus going home at night and most nights I ended up missing my bus stop. it wasn't funny then. If you are truly tired after a hard day work, sleep would come in uninvited no matter how disciplined you are. But if I'm fresh, no matter the distance, I don't sleep. When I'm travelling, sleeping is a no no.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by 360command: 7:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
u cant cheat nature. no matter how long or short the distance will be. once your body is tired, its needs rest. after rest, you get energy .. and once the journey is boring , you fit sleep for road. because u go tire as you keep seeing the green forest vegetaion of nigeria. if you are in the north, na sahel savannah u go dey see. this makes your eyes feel sleepy.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Feraz(m): 7:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
Kai!!! grin grin Sleeping in a bus?! cheesy This reminds me of when I boarded a bus at Orile to drop at CMS....can't remember what made me sleep but I sha slept....only for me to wake up and could see CMS way behind me with the bus heading towards Obalende. Since then, I said I will not sleep in public vehicles except when travelling over long dist. say Lagos - Anambra....

1 Like

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Alpha2k(m): 7:42pm On Apr 15, 2013
Yes i do sleep when tired.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Dermie: 7:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
greatgod2012:

you must be a good observer then.
I have observed that when i travel, i observe everything i see along the journey, i even ask questions from those who sit beside me, i always want to know about every junction, every tree i see.......funny?, yes, i know but its kind of relieveing ones tension.

like, *hey ma'am, how did that tree grew over there?
*who built that house?.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by vivianc(f): 7:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
BBDelta:

How do you know that you don't snore Don't tell me nobody complained, remember you are in a public vehicle and in most cases no friends / relations to give you that kind information.

Sorry, most times I sleep in the same room with friends and family and its being confirmed that I don't snore. I'm a peaceful sleeper, you won't even hear my breathing. I'm also a light sleeper, I notice everything that happens around me unless I'm dreaming.

Btw, I have huge phobia for snore, it creeps me out.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Ishilove: 7:55pm On Apr 15, 2013
I do, but never deeply. I have never missed a busstop because of sleep. The only time I have ever come close to missing my busstop was some years back. I and some of my coursemates had gone to a certain bar in Maryland, Lagos to hang out. We took nkwobi and cold drinks. I don't take alcohol because I have low alcohol tolerance, but that day, I was feeling funky with myself, so I took two bottles of chilled smirnoff ice. As I swallowed the last mouthful, my head started spinning. I was almost literally carried out of the bar because I could barely stand upright. My peeps led me to the bus that I was to board, put me in the front seat with the driver, paid my t-fare and told the driver which busstop I was to alight.

Immediately I sat down, fell into a very deep sleep and woke up when somebody tapped me and said 'sister, we don reach ya bustop'. I stumbled out of the vehicle, leaving one leg of my shoe in the bus. I would have probably walked home with just one shoe if the same good samaritan had not noticed my feet and run back to the bus to retrieve the forgotten shoe. He took my hands and helped me cross the fairly busy express road. After crossing, he told me that the driver had completely forgotten about me, and if not for him, the driver would have driven me all the way to Ogun state. He had heard when my friends had instructed the driver, and luckily for me, we were going the same direction, so he woke me up when we got there.

After that day, I swore off alcohol totally. Well, almost. wink tongue grin
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by funnyx(m): 7:58pm On Apr 15, 2013
Ishilove: I do, but never deeply. I have never missed a busstop because of sleep. The only time I have ever come close to missing my busstop was some years back. I and some of my coursemates had gone to a certain bar in Maryland, Lagos to hang out. We took nkwobi and cold drinks. I don't take alcohol because I have low alcohol tolerance, but that day, I was feeling funky with myself, so I took two bottles of chilled smirnoff ice. As I swallowed the last mouthful, my head started spinning. I was almost literally carried out of the bar because I could barely stand upright. My peeps led me to the bus that I was to board, put me in the front seat with the driver, paid my t-fare and told the driver which busstop I was to alight.

Immediately I sat down, fell into a very deep sleep and woke up when somebody tapped me and said 'sister, we don reach ya bustop'. I stumbled out of the vehicle, leaving one leg of my shoe in the bus. I would have probably walked home with just one shoe if the same good samaritan had not noticed my feet and run back to the bus to retrieve the forgotten shoe. He took my hands and helped me cross the fairly busy express road. After crossing, he told me that the driver had completely forgotten about me, and if not for him, the driver would have driven me all the way to Ogun state. He had heard when my friends had instructed the driver, and luckily for me, we were going the same direction, so he woke me up when we got there.

Your friends knew you were that vulnerable and yet entrusted your life to the hands of a bus driver? shocked
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Ishilove: 8:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
funnyx:

Your friends knew you were that vulnerable and yet entrusted your life to the hands of a bus driver? shocked
Na so. Besides, they were pretty high themselves embarassed

grin
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Digriz(m): 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
I dnt sleep bcus wenever I tried doing it my minds always tells me that d driver may be sleeping too and I wl just wake.
I once saved my life and that of my fellow passenger wen our driver slept on wheel on my way to PH frm Lagos,i was d only one awake & I was sitting on d front seat. I was able to detect that wen he moved out of his lane and was heading straight to d barricade.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by dayokanu(m): 8:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
Ishilove: I do, but never deeply. I have never missed a busstop because of sleep. The only time I have ever come close to missing my busstop was some years back. I and some of my coursemates had gone to a certain bar in Maryland, Lagos to hang out. We took nkwobi and cold drinks. I don't take alcohol because I have low alcohol tolerance, but that day, I was feeling funky with myself, so I took two bottles of chilled smirnoff ice. As I swallowed the last mouthful, my head started spinning. I was almost literally carried out of the bar because I could barely stand upright. My peeps led me to the bus that I was to board, put me in the front seat with the driver, paid my t-fare and told the driver which busstop I was to alight.

DOnt tell me that guy allowed you to go home by yourself without making you stop by and relaxing for a while at his place tongue

1 Like

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by tomzman: 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
This is one thing I also hate. I dont sleep in public transports unless the journey is a long one. Some people can't just do without it. I remember a day I boarded a taxi, not quite long after, another man entered and within two minutes, this man was already sleeping. I was disgusted. Really, sleeping during short journeys is not something good. What if you are taken to somewhere you never expected or you are robbed?
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Jarus(m): 9:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
yes, I do
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Ishilove: 9:42pm On Apr 15, 2013
dayokanu:

DOnt tell me that guy allowed you to go home by yourself without making you stop by and relaxing for a while at his place tongue
There are some good people in this world smiley
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Desloaaa(f): 9:45pm On Apr 15, 2013
i dey sleep!!!.kai'..once breeze don touch me,safe journey ni

1 Like

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Sike(m): 10:05pm On Apr 15, 2013
...Especially when i'm sitting near the window with those romantic wind blowing live to my face.

1 Like

Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Revolva(m): 10:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
grin grin grin i ave never slept in a public bus before...unless travelling an inter state journey...
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by OlaNurudeen: 10:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
SLEEP NO KNOW DEATH
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Afolabs101: 10:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
greatgod2012:

I have observed that when i travel, i observe everything i see along the journey, i even ask questions from those who sit beside me, i always want to know about every junction, every tree i see.......funny?, yes, i know but its kind of relieveing ones tension.

And I have observed that you relieve your tension by increasing the tension/annoyance of others by asking annoying questions every few seconds.

Please cease and desist from this habit, God forbid one day your sat next to a suicidal maniac who has just lost his job, and you're asking about every tree and junction undecided
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by funnyx(m): 10:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
Afolabs101:

And I have observed that you relieve your tension by increasing the tension/annoyance of others by asking annoying questions every few seconds.

Please cease and desist from this habit, God forbid one day your sat next to a suicidal maniac who has just lost his job, and you're asking about every tree and junction undecided

grin grin grin
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by LCASHMAN(m): 11:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
Freiburger: No, not even in an aircraft.
IDIOT, WAIT UNTIL U FLY FROM AMERICA TO CHINA MAKE I SEE IF U B WINCH. See ur mouth ,dirty!!
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by ibiso1986: 11:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
Sleeping during long trips? Don't know if I do but during such trips,I often carry bags full of money, only to find out that I was dreaming.. I sleep a lot during long trips
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by chessguru1(m): 11:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
It helps curb motion or car sickness.
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by LCASHMAN(m): 11:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
FROM ALL D COMMENTS I READ, SOME PEOPLE ARE IMPLYING U WILL BE IN NO ACCIDENT OR SURVIVE IF THERE IS ANY ACCIDENT AS LONG AS U RE NOT SLEEPING, how dumb
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by chessguru1(m): 11:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
greatgod2012:

Its your type I completely ignore on a bus. All I want is peace and tranquility. My ear phone and shades provide dat 4 me cool
Re: Do You Sleep In Public Vehicles? by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 16, 2013
If the journey is greater than 5km? Foggerit! I don sleep go. grin I've never missed my destination because of sleep though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet The Most Beautiful Nigerian Girl On Facebook (pictures) / List Of Top 10 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria / How Do You Know A Man That Really Loves You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.