Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Mobile Number Portability - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Number Portability (1002 Views)

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages / NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Number Portability by rubyno(m): 2:05pm On Apr 13, 2013
In line with its function of protecting and promoting consumer interest against unfair practices, the Nigerian Communication Commission(NCC) has concluded arrangement to flag off mobilenumber portability(MNP).
The MNP, when implemented, would give consumers the option of changing their network atwill while also retaining their mobile numbers. Executive Vice Chairman of the NCC, Dr. Eugene Juwah, who disclosed this in Ibadan, during the 72nd edition of Telecoms Consumer Parliament, added that the MNP would enhance competition and improve quality of service.
Juwah said: “It is an established fact that one of the most significant barriers to competition in the telecommunication industry is the reluctance of consumers to change their network even when they are not satisfied with the services provided because of the fear of changing their number.”
The porting process (process of changing network) would, according to him, be simple, free of charge and would be completed within 48 hours from the time when a request is made by a subscriber. Juwah noted that when the MNP becomes operational subscribers would no longer be compelled to carry many handsets at the same time for fear of network failure, adding that subscribers can always migrate to the best networkof quality while retaining their number.
He added that the focus of the commission was to give the consumer a choice and freedom to be withbest network at any time as well as enhance competition in the industry.

It's quiet an impressive innovation but my question is how often can one change service provider and within what time frame? While the change is being effected, who is to provide service? that is if it would be accessible. These and many more.
Re: Mobile Number Portability by polipompom: 2:21pm On Apr 13, 2013
Yea, quite impressive. Will definitely ensure a healthy competition among operators.
In answering ur 1st qstn, I gathered d@ a subscriber wil only b able 2 migrate across networks jst once in 90 days free. So if u rili nid 2 port 2 anoda network, I gues u nid 2 think twice coz afta migrating(porting) d 1st tym, subsequent migration wil only b possible in anoda 90 days.
Re: Mobile Number Portability by rubyno(m): 2:23pm On Apr 13, 2013
polipompom: Yea, quite impressive. Will definitely ensure a healthy competition among operators.
In answering ur 1st qstn, I gathered d@ a subscriber wil only b able 2 migrate across networks jst once in 90 days. So if u rili nid 2 port 2 anoda network, I gues u nid 2 think twice coz afta migrating(porting) d 1st tym, subsequent migration wil only b possible in anoda 90 days.

Dat means the chinco fone are a better option nau. I learnt even LG has provided a 3 sim fone.
Re: Mobile Number Portability by polipompom: 2:30pm On Apr 13, 2013
rubyno:

Dat means the chinco fone are a better option nau. I learnt even LG has provided a 3 sim fone.
Well, I dnt fink so, remember in d case of a 3-sim fone, u nid 2 av air tym in each sim if u nid use a particular ntwk operator. Bt wif ds, u can jst swap 4rm Glo 2 mtn nd still us same sim 2 make calls, send text..... In oda words, it's cost effective.
Re: Mobile Number Portability by rubyno(m): 2:33pm On Apr 13, 2013
polipompom:
Well, I dnt fink so, remember in d case of a 3-sim fone, u nid 2 av air tym in each sim if u nid use a particular ntwk operator. Bt wif ds, u can jst swap 4rm Glo 2 mtn nd still us same sim 2 make calls, send text..... In oda words, it's cost effective.

True talk. For dis naija? Let dem implement n lets c how it goes. I nor wan take mouth spoil watin never reach ground.
Re: Mobile Number Portability by luluosas(m): 5:44pm On Apr 16, 2013
Glo MNP Frequently Asked Questions:

1. What Is “Mobile Number Portability” Or “MNP”?

It’s a service that enables the subscriber keep their MSISDN when moving over from one mobile NETWORK to another.

2. What Is Porting?

It’s when a subscriber switches to a new mobile NETWORK without having to change numbers. Now everyone can join Glo, the winning network.

3. What Is Porting In?

It is when a customer joins Glo from another NETWORK with his/her existing number. Now all your friends loved ones can join you on Glo.

4. What Is Porting Out?

This is the act of a customer leaving our Glo NETWORK to join another NETWORK with all the digits of his/her existing number.

5. Who's Who in Number Porting? SUBSCRIBER

This refers to the customer who owns the number to be ported.

6. Who's Who in Number Porting? BLOCK HOLDER

The operator to whom the number block (e.g. 0805,) containing the ported number was originally allocated by the NCC.

7. Who's Who in Number Porting? DONOR

This refers to the operator which the subscriber currently uses.

8. Who's Who in Number Porting? RECIPIENT

This refers to the operator which the subscriber now intends to port to.

9. Who's Who in Number Porting? OTHER OPERATOR

An operator who is not the Donor or Recipient for a port but who must receive the routing update so as to route calls to the ported number.
10. Who's Who in Number Porting? NPC

This is the Number Portability Clearing House whose duty it is to manage ported numbers and the porting process.

11. Who's Who in Number Porting? NPG

Number Portability Gateway; provides a single operator-based gateway for a telephone operator to manage the MNP process.

12. Who Can Port?

MNP is open to Post-Paid/Pre-Paid mobile customers of all mobile network operators in Nigeria. Get your friends/loved ones to join Glo today.

13. How Can You Benefit From MNP?

The main benefit of MNP is freedom of choice and the competition that it generates. Now all your friends can join you on Glo.

14. How Much Will It Cost Me?

Porting is free. No cost, no stress. Simply get your friends and loved ones to switch to Glo, the winning network, free of charge.

15. What Does the Subscriber Have To Do to Port?

Porting can only be done at Glo shops / authorized dealers. It’s not available by telephone, online or other electronic means.

16. How Long Does It Take to Port To a New Provider?

The porting process takes a maximum of 48 hours! 48 hours only, and everyone you know can join you on Glo.

17. Can a Subscriber Port Number More Than Once?

Yes, but there is a restriction of a 90-day period before a subscriber can port out to another network.

18. If I port to a new network, and get a new SIM card, after 90days, will I follow same procedure to return to my previous provider?

Yes. Anytime you wish to port your number, you will have to go through the same process at the Gloworld, Glozone, authorized dealers shop or agent of Glo. You will also be issued a new SIM card.

19. What Should a Subscriber Consider Carefully Before Porting?

Subscriber should understand that call charges & packages offered by the new provider may differ from his/her current provider.

20. Can a Subscriber’s Number Be Ported Without His/Her Permission?

This is unlikely due to the SIM registration process and other security features of MNP.

21. How do I confirm that it is my number?

To port in your number to Glo, Proof of identity – either id card, passport or driving licence or an officially validated photographic identity document.

22. What if I do not have an id card?

If you are unable to present any id card, a webcam will be used to take your photograph.

23. Can A Subscriber Decide The Date And Time When His/Her My Number Is Ported?

No. The operators will need to process and validate the porting and the subscriber will be kept informed during the process.

24. If A Subscriber Has Credit/Airtime On His/Her Line Before Porting, Will it be Forfeited?

Yes. Any outstanding credit on the subscriber’s current service will be forfeited at the time of porting, on a 'use it or lose it' basis.

25. What happens to the Subscriber’s Security Deposit?

If the customer has no outstanding debt, Security Deposit should be returned. However, any outstanding debt will be settled from the customer’s Security Deposit & any balance returned.

26. Will the Subscriber still be able to enjoy free calls with their CUG members?

No

27. Will the Subscriber still enjoy His/Her current tariff?

No

28. Will the Subscriber still enjoy His/Her F&F discount?

No

29. Will I still enjoy His/Her VAS?

No

30. After porting, will the Service Provider Name on the Subscriber’s phone change?

Yes

31. What Should the Subscriber do if He/She Has A Problem Or Complaint?

Contact His/Her new service provider by visiting any Gloworld, authorized dealer or calling any of our helplines to resolve the problem.

32. When will porting become available on the CDMA and fixed line Networks?

NCC has adopted a phased approach to the launch of Mobile Number Portability service in Nigeria. The process to port from CDMA will begin as soon as the GSM porting process is completed and launched.

33. What time of the day will the porting service be available?

The porting service will be available very close to you at anytime.

34. Can I change my mind during the porting process?

You can change anytime before you send the confirmation SMS. Once the confirmation SMS is sent, you can no longer cancel your port request and porting process must progress to completion.

35. How will I be advised of the status/progress of my porting request?

You will be informed of the progress by text messages.

36. What happens if my porting request is rejected or fails to complete?

You should contact new service provider (Glo) to resolve the problem.

37. What happens to SMS I send or receive while porting?

Messages which might have been sent to the customer or by customer prior to porting, but not delivered, may be lost.
www.gloworld.com/mnp.asp
Re: Mobile Number Portability by luluosas(m): 3:37pm On Apr 17, 2013
We are fully set for Mobile Number Portability – Jameel

Globacom has announced its full readiness to begin the implementation of mobile number portability on its network. This is in compliance with the directive by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to all mobile operators to be ready for the commencement of the exercise on April 22.

The Group Chief Operating Officer, Mohammed Jameel, said the company is set in terms of system readiness, process readiness and operational readiness for the smooth take-off of mobile number portability on its network.

In terms of system readiness, Glo has completed the procurement and implementation of the network signal routing system (STP) and the porting process or gateway management system (NPG) which is the first to be commissioned in the country and now completely ready for MNP service. The upgrade and customization of the network systems, the IT systems, the billing systems that will handle mediation and fraud management and the value added systems (VAS) have also been completed.

Jameel said that the company‘s technical and operational teams had worked assiduously to ensure that the network is in a perfect state of preparedness to enable a smooth transition for those who are interested in porting on the Glo network.

“We are the first among all the GSM operators to put in place a functional number portability gateway (NPG) and the first to ensure an all-call query signal transport point (STP) system which are major technical requirements for the successful take-off of mobile number portability on any network”, he said.

Jameel explained that in the area of process readiness, Glo’s internal processes have also been reviewed and aligned with the process and business rule guidelines released by NCC. He added that Glo’s operational readiness currently stands at 100 per cent as awareness training for staff, operational/user training and system administration training have already been completed.

“The MNP system and material requirement definitions have been met by all departments in Glo and controlled access to the number portability gateway (NPG) system across the enterprise and to all our outlets like Gloworld shops, Customer Care, Glozones, retailers, dealers and canvassers are also fully in place. These designated partners nationwide have also been trained in porting processes and technologies to make way for excellent MNP experience and customer service”, he stated.

Jameel also disclosed that a series of tests on the massive network upgrade done by the company has been conducted by Huawei and ALU and an enterprise wide dry run to fine-tune the smooth running of the entire system has been done with very positive results. The results gave full confirmation that MNP can now run on the company’s systems and infrastructure in a smooth and efficient manner. “Additionally, a dedicated MNP team has been trained and assigned to the day-to-day running of the MNP operation right from the Nigerian streets to the engine rooms in all of our state-of-the-art data centres”, he said.

Meanwhile, the second round of end-to-end MNP pilot tests for MNP readiness is currently on-going as scheduled while waiting for the Inter-operator MNP traffic migration schedule from the NCC.

“With our state of readiness, subscribers who wish to join the Glo network to enjoy its unlimited services are bound to have a smooth transition without any fears about moving their numbers to the network. With Glo’s extensive national and international coverage powered by the Glo 1 submarine cable, its low cost voice and data tariffs, outstanding customer care and innovative value added services, there are no limits to what discerning subscribers can achieve on the Glo network”, he added.

Renowned for its innovation and unique products and services, Glo launched its world class network in 2003 on the 3G platform and introduced Per Second Billing (PSB), which made it possible for Nigerians to make cheaper calls. As part of its massive upgrade to further provide unparalleled services to subscribers, Glo is currently transforming the information technology environment with its first-of-its-kind next generation business support systems with capabilities for fixed mobile convergence and long term evolution technology (LTE).

Moreover, the company is installing over 200 new base stations monthly and completing densification of existing ones. It is setting up three new mini call centres equipped with the latest customer relationship solutions across the country to take care of the expected vast increase in subscriber figures. It is also upgrading its radio access network which will ensure that data customers enjoy unparalleled speed and reliability.

http://www.gloworld.com/latestnews1.asp
Re: Mobile Number Portability by rubyno(m): 7:01pm On Apr 17, 2013
luluosas: We are fully set for Mobile Number Portability – Jameel

Globacom has announced its full readiness to begin the implementation of mobile number portability on its network. This is in compliance with the directive by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to all mobile operators to be ready for the commencement of the exercise on April 22.

The Group Chief Operating Officer, Mohammed Jameel, said the company is set in terms of system readiness, process readiness and operational readiness for the smooth take-off of mobile number portability on its network.

In terms of system readiness, Glo has completed the procurement and implementation of the network signal routing system (STP) and the porting process or gateway management system (NPG) which is the first to be commissioned in the country and now completely ready for MNP service. The upgrade and customization of the network systems, the IT systems, the billing systems that will handle mediation and fraud management and the value added systems (VAS) have also been completed.

Jameel said that the company‘s technical and operational teams had worked assiduously to ensure that the network is in a perfect state of preparedness to enable a smooth transition for those who are interested in porting on the Glo network.

“We are the first among all the GSM operators to put in place a functional number portability gateway (NPG) and the first to ensure an all-call query signal transport point (STP) system which are major technical requirements for the successful take-off of mobile number portability on any network”, he said.

Jameel explained that in the area of process readiness, Glo’s internal processes have also been reviewed and aligned with the process and business rule guidelines released by NCC. He added that Glo’s operational readiness currently stands at 100 per cent as awareness training for staff, operational/user training and system administration training have already been completed.

“The MNP system and material requirement definitions have been met by all departments in Glo and controlled access to the number portability gateway (NPG) system across the enterprise and to all our outlets like Gloworld shops, Customer Care, Glozones, retailers, dealers and canvassers are also fully in place. These designated partners nationwide have also been trained in porting processes and technologies to make way for excellent MNP experience and customer service”, he stated.

Jameel also disclosed that a series of tests on the massive network upgrade done by the company has been conducted by Huawei and ALU and an enterprise wide dry run to fine-tune the smooth running of the entire system has been done with very positive results. The results gave full confirmation that MNP can now run on the company’s systems and infrastructure in a smooth and efficient manner. “Additionally, a dedicated MNP team has been trained and assigned to the day-to-day running of the MNP operation right from the Nigerian streets to the engine rooms in all of our state-of-the-art data centres”, he said.

Meanwhile, the second round of end-to-end MNP pilot tests for MNP readiness is currently on-going as scheduled while waiting for the Inter-operator MNP traffic migration schedule from the NCC.

“With our state of readiness, subscribers who wish to join the Glo network to enjoy its unlimited services are bound to have a smooth transition without any fears about moving their numbers to the network. With Glo’s extensive national and international coverage powered by the Glo 1 submarine cable, its low cost voice and data tariffs, outstanding customer care and innovative value added services, there are no limits to what discerning subscribers can achieve on the Glo network”, he added.

Renowned for its innovation and unique products and services, Glo launched its world class network in 2003 on the 3G platform and introduced Per Second Billing (PSB), which made it possible for Nigerians to make cheaper calls. As part of its massive upgrade to further provide unparalleled services to subscribers, Glo is currently transforming the information technology environment with its first-of-its-kind next generation business support systems with capabilities for fixed mobile convergence and long term evolution technology (LTE).

Moreover, the company is installing over 200 new base stations monthly and completing densification of existing ones. It is setting up three new mini call centres equipped with the latest customer relationship solutions across the country to take care of the expected vast increase in subscriber figures. It is also upgrading its radio access network which will ensure that data customers enjoy unparalleled speed and reliability.

http://www.gloworld.com/latestnews1.asp

Sosoghon.

(1) (Reply)

The Battle Line Is Drawn..ios, Android And Windows / How To Join 2 Images Or More With A Laptop, PLEASE HELP!! / Where To Get Infinix ZERO: Konga Or Jumia?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.