Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,699 members, 7,809,645 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages (29181 Views)

NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 / Mobile Number Portability: What Network Would You Be Migrating To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:02pm On Apr 05, 2013
Disclaimer: Please, this is a personal submission over the behaviours of mobile phone network operators in Nigeria, therefore, don't crucify me for saying my mind. Thank you.

MNP is the acronym for Mobile Number Portability. Every Nigerian knows that the telecoms regulator in Nigeria, the NCC have long been promising MNP to Nigerians for a long time now. The more Nigerians expected this process to begin within the telecoms operators in Nigeria, the more it appears that it can never be possible.
Anyway, the wait seems to be over now with the green light NCC gave that, its implementation will begin (or have began) on 26th March, 2013. Although the four major telecoms operators to begin with the MNP have not release any guidelines on their website, Nigerians are truly looking up to a time they will have the POWER to hire and fire any operator at will, for this is the major essence of the MNP implementation.
From the foregoing, let me quickly say that, after observing the behaviours among the four major operators in Nigeria, which are Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, I have personally concluded NEVER to port/migrate to any network under the MNP implementation due to the simple fact that, never will a particular network provider tire me down to their service during poor service delivery on their network. To this end, my numbers on the various networks stays as they are at the moment.

Now, every individual telecoms service subscriber to Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat in Nigeria knows too well that, these four operators have one thing in common - poor service delivery. With the continuous deteriorating services these telcos are offering Nigerians and coupled with the fact that, you are sometimes locked-out by these operators from legally using the service you have subscribed, it therefore make no sense for one to migrate under this MNP regime. The issue of drop calls, over charging on calls, SMS failures and charged, data subscription yet unusable, exorbitant data tariff, unable to call with airtime availability, USSD transaction failures, party called unreachable yet with you, charges for service(s) not rendered and so on and so forth, ranges among the challenges we currently face from these operators.

Ordinarily, one would think that with the HUGE profits these telcos are presenting at the end of every year from their investment, it will present a situation of normal business environment satisfaction from the contributors (subscribers) of these huge gains with quality service delivery but alas, the reverse is the case. The trend has always been that, the subscriber is at the receiving end while the operators keep smiling to the banks at their detriment. MNP somehow will address this but not ultimately.

In pursuant of this topic, I may therefore lack substance to fully express my position but, my decision NEVER to port my number or any of my numbers remain.

ADVANTAGE OF MNP:
1. Ability to retain your NUMBER after porting to a new telecom service provider.
To me, this is the only advantage that MNP will bring to the game. My argument is hinged on the fact that, most Nigerian telecoms subscriber today that have refused to adopt a new number from another provider, despite been offered poor and terrible services from their current operator, is borne out of the fact that, majority of the people have been using the said number they don't want to lose from the inception of Mobile Telephone services in Nigeria. Therefore, switching to a new service provider will mean that, you have to notify all your contacts about your new number, thereby giving you extra work to do. But with MNP, your contacts are still intact with your KNOWN NUMBER even though you are now on operator B network.

DISADVANTAGES OF MNP:
1. Tied down for a period of 90 days. I will rather switch Sim cards on my phone than switch a telecom service provider.
Now, MNP gives you the ability to switch a network provider but, only once in 90 days. Should the operator you just migrated falls into serious network challenges, it means you will remain with them no matter your bitter experience at the moment for a 90 days period. Me? Never!

2. Jump-in but can't Jumb-out at will. Today, whenever you are having network challenges with operator A, you quickly switch to operator B by changing your Sim card. In the case of MNP, you can only jump in at a time but can't jump out as you may desire to do with MNP regime.
These and many more are the reasons I will never jump ship for any reason as the current situation stands with all the four major telecoms operators here in Nigeria. They are all birds of the same feather.

Therefore, I humbly submit that, any reasonable Nigerian that want to continue to set the pace for his/her telecoms usage, should reject MNP and embrace multiple Sim card from the four operators. Thank you.

All Rights Reserved lugardosas@gmail.com
http://emwanta..com/2013/04/the-advantage-and-disadvantages-of-mnp.html

12 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
Wow! The topic was changed instantly. Anyway, thank you admins.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by vitality22(m): 4:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
Is this MNP operational in Nigeria now?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by yuzedo: 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
undecided
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Born2beRich1(m): 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
Many people have heard about mobile number portability but very few understand what it is all about especially the advantages and disadvantages...Good idea by NCC though by making competition across all network more interesting...

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Okijajuju1(m): 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by SONKOko(m): 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
ok
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
I think you're 100% correct sir!. It doesn't ring a positive bell to me either

3 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by RedLight1: 4:11pm On Apr 05, 2013
the most discouraging part is having to collect form b4 u can change network.. Its total nonsense.. Why in the world would i wana waste my time and money only to wait for another 90days for the same process when i can just get N100 sim out there...

10 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by bowee4u: 4:11pm On Apr 05, 2013
It will aid compitition and force down the cost of making calls, that is what most people disire.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by iamswizz(m): 4:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
ok
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by aminho(m): 4:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
Am I late
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
OP is not being fair. You prefer to switch sims but find it difficult to still have another sim while keep the ported line ? Porting a number is meant for businesses and individuals who want to retain their phone numbers while juggling across telcos. It is the best thing to happen to the telecoms sector after per second billing.

10 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by vision2050: 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
In two sentence please summarize....

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by dridowu: 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
On my way to eti baba frm emtpyhen

2 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by akraym(m): 4:15pm On Apr 05, 2013
As for me, the advantages are more than the disadvantages
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
90 days shocked thats way to long
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 05, 2013
Red-Light:
the most discouraging part is having to collect form b4 u can change network.. Its total nonsense.. Why in the world would i wana waste my time and money only to wait for another 90days for the same process when i can just get N100 sim out there...
Because you need to retain your 11 digits phone number. Businessmen do not buy new sims every time, cos we do not print letterheads and business cards every month. And we also have clients that call sometimes 2 yrs after they got your business card, so the phone number has to be retained for ever and network can be juggled while shopping for better signal at cheaper rate.

Besides, it is a choice, students and unemployed persons can decide not to port, no be by force.

8 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 05, 2013
How will MPN change the the colour of an Albino...

Abegi let me channel my thought to world war 3 coming up soon "dooms day preeps"
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:19pm On Apr 05, 2013
Ewooo! It will be unbearable to experience a network problem with a service provider i.e MTN for a period of 90days before migration to another service provider.
Anyway, make dem start am 1st.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by nenergy(m): 4:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
The use of dual/Tri Sim phones in Nigeria will frustrate the MNP. I for one have all 4 sim cards (i use 3 number at a time-1 single sim & 1 dual sim phone),so no need to port. Only dissatisfied customers who use only one line will port.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Ibangap(m): 4:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
And its even more cumbersome, cos u hav to visit d network dealer's outlet u need to port to with an identification card and fill out some forms, thereafter u wait for 48hrs. Dont worry NCC, for dis one; i'll pass.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by patholaw: 4:30pm On Apr 05, 2013
pls some1 should summarize the story 4 me angry
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by HARDDON: 4:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
Mobile Number Portability: NCC highlights subscribers’responsibilities

Prior to the official start of the long-awaited Mobile Number Portability service, the Nigerian Communications Commission has listed roles expected of stakeholders, particularly telecoms subscribers, towards making it work.

While service providers and the regulator are getting set to roll out the service, the NCC said certain important roles were expected from the subscribers using the over 113 million active telephone lines in the country and who might want to port their numbers.

The Interconnect Clearing House, which has been appointed by the NCC to create a unified interface billing system, is currently rounding off the exercise by bringing service provider networks on the mobile number portability platform.

MNP is a new telecoms service that will commence very soon in the nation’s telecoms sector and is being touted to address many of the ills in the industry, especially in quality of service.

The service will allow subscribers to change operators without changing numbers.

Already, the Minister of Communication Technology, Mrs. Omobola Johnson, recently gave an assurance of the readiness of the government to start the MNP service soon.

She had said, “We are going ahead with MNP because it is going to give subscribers lots of choice and freedom. MNP will bring new dimension to the competition in the industry. All network operators will have to work harder to earn the trust of subscribers, because they will now have choices.

“MNP will definitely give consumer varieties of choice but the major issue is for us to improve on our infrastructure and improve services so that we don’t have to be moving from network to network.”

Explaining how telecoms subscribers will benefit from the scheme, the Executive Vice Chairman, NCC, Dr. Eugene Juwah, said when a phone user felt that another operator could offer him a better service than his current operator, MNP would allow him to move and enjoy the coverage, quality or tariff of the new operator, while retaining his old number.

Juwah said with MNP, there were roles to be played by the subscriber, which would make the process effective and successful, especially in validating the SIM card registration process.

He said, “The number to be ported must be a SIM registered number with your current operator. The subscriber must physically visit the retail store/customer outlet of the new operator.

‘‘A photo identification card must be presented to the new operator. This, therefore, means that there will be no proxy porting process. Also, a porting will be completed within 48 hours from the port request.”

According to Juwah, MNP is a simple process and will be free. For the porting process not to be subject to abuse and arbitrariness, he said there would be porting windows, which is the time within which an already ported number can be ported again.

“So, stakeholders will have to play their relevant roles for the process to work instead of waiting for the regulator to wave a magic wand to right everything. MNP is a significant process that the regulator is embarking on at this time after all necessary documentation, and will be guided to successful implementation,” he said.

The President, Association of Telecoms Companies for Nigeria, Mr. Lanre Ajayi, had recently called on the NCC to ensure that all necessary measures were put in place before unveiling the service to avoid possible network problem.

In the same vein, the President, National Association Telecoms Subscribers, Chief Deolu Ogunbanjo, said the MNP was being anticipated by subscribers as it would lead to improved services and address the multi-SIM scenario among telecoms subscribers, since one single SIM could be used to initiate calls from any of the networks.

Already, the commission has released the guideline detailing the rules and regulations for implementing the MNP service in Nigeria. The document titled: ‘Nigeria Mobile Number Portability: Business Rules and Port Order’, sets out the business rules to manage the processes for porting mobile number(s) between service providers and subscribers licensed by the NCC to provide mobile telecoms service in the country.

The document, however, refers only to MNP, which means it does not cover Fixed Number Portability or any other form of number or service portability.

According to the commission in the introductory message, the document has been prepared without prejudice to any future requirement for number portability between fixed and/or mobile customers.

The document read in part, “In furtherance to the NCC’s objectives of protecting consumer interest through the development, monitoring and enforcement of compliance with regulations by telecoms service providers in order to ensure better quality services, fair pricing and competition, and in line with the provisions of section 128 of the Nigerian Communication Act, 2003, which vests the NCC with the exclusive right to regulate numbers and number portability in Nigeria, the commission developed a framework for number portability in Nigeria.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/technology/mobile-number-portability-ncc-highlights-subscribersresponsibilities/
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Ogundale(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
Ya had me.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Gabrielsylar(m): 4:35pm On Apr 05, 2013
Na money to load recharge card dey my mind now....
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:37pm On Apr 05, 2013
vitality22: Is this MNP operational in Nigeria now?
I think so but, you need to visit your network service provider office.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Na money to load recharge card dey my mind now....
True talk jare. Hola your number, maybe I fit help with 100 naira.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by texazzpete(m): 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
luluosas: Disclaimer: Please, this is a personal submission over the behaviours of mobile phone network operators in Nigeria, therefore, don't crucify me for saying my mind. Thank you.

MNP is the acronym for Mobile Number Portability. Every Nigerian knows that the telecoms regulator in Nigeria, the NCC have long been promising MNP to Nigerians for a long time now. The more Nigerians expected this process to begin within the telecoms operators in Nigeria, the more it appears that it can never be possible.
Anyway, the wait seems to be over now with the green light NCC gave that, its implementation will begin (or have began) on 26th March, 2013. Although the four major telecoms operators to begin with the MNP have not release any guidelines on their website, Nigerians are truly looking up to a time they will have the POWER to hire and fire any operator at will, for this is the major essence of the MNP implementation.
From the foregoing, let me quickly say that, after observing the behaviours among the four major operators in Nigeria, which are Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, I have personally concluded NEVER to port/migrate to any network under the MNP implementation due to the simple fact that, never will a particular network provider tire me down to their service during poor service delivery on their network. To this end, my numbers on the various networks stays as they are at the moment.

Now, every individual telecoms service subscriber to Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat in Nigeria knows too well that, these four operators have one thing in common - poor service delivery. With the continuous deteriorating services these telcos are offering Nigerians and coupled with the fact that, you are sometimes locked-out by these operators from legally using the service you have subscribed, it therefore make no sense for one to migrate under this MNP regime. The issue of drop calls, over charging on calls, SMS failures and charged, data subscription yet unusable, exorbitant data tariff, unable to call with airtime availability, USSD transaction failures, party called unreachable yet with you, charges for service(s) not rendered and so on and so forth, ranges among the challenges we currently face from these operators.

Ordinarily, one would think that with the HUGE profits these telcos are presenting at the end of every year from their investment, it will present a situation of normal business environment satisfaction from the contributors (subscribers) of these huge gains with quality service delivery but alas, the reverse is the case. The trend has always been that, the subscriber is at the receiving end while the operators keep smiling to the banks at their detriment. MNP somehow will address this but not ultimately.

In pursuant of this topic, I may therefore lack substance to fully express my position but, my decision NEVER to port my number or any of my numbers remain.

ADVANTAGE OF MNP:
1. Ability to retain your NUMBER after porting to a new telecom service provider.
To me, this is the only advantage that MNP will bring to the game. My argument is hinged on the fact that, most Nigerian telecoms subscriber today that have refused to adopt a new number from another provider, despite been offered poor and terrible services from their current operator, is borne out of the fact that, majority of the people have been using the said number they don't want to lose from the inception of Mobile Telephone services in Nigeria. Therefore, switching to a new service provider will mean that, you have to notify all your contacts about your new number, thereby giving you extra work to do. But with MNP, your contacts are still intact with your KNOWN NUMBER even though you are now on operator B network.

DISADVANTAGES OF MNP:
1. Tied down for a period of 90 days. I will rather switch Sim cards on my phone than switch a telecom service provider.
Now, MNP gives you the ability to switch a network provider but, only once in 90 days. Should the operator you just migrated falls into serious network challenges, it means you will remain with them no matter your bitter experience at the moment for a 90 days period. Me? Never!

2. Jump-in but can't Jumb-out at will. Today, whenever you are having network challenges with operator A, you quickly switch to operator B by changing your Sim card. In the case of MNP, you can only jump in at a time but can't jump out as you may desire to do with MNP regime.
These and many more are the reasons I will never jump ship for any reason as the current situation stands with all the four major telecoms operators here in Nigeria. They are all birds of the same feather.

Therefore, I humbly submit that, any reasonable Nigerian that want to continue to set the pace for his/her telecoms usage, should reject MNP and embrace multiple Sim card from the four operators. Thank you.

All Rights Reserved lugardosas@gmail.com
http://emwanta..com/2013/04/the-advantage-and-disadvantages-of-mnp.html

To be honest, I cannot see the common sense in this long epistle. Your solution that users should simply swap another SIM into their phone defeats one of the main purposes of the MNP: Keep your existing number active for ALL your contacts to reach while moving to another network. If I want people to reach me on 08070050054, for example, why would switching to another SIM card and another number be an option?

There are people who get good service from one particular network in their new house. You say switching to that network is not a good idea? If I use MTN and in my area, only Etisalat has 3G, why should i not switch to Etisalat and keep my number? You think service degrades instantly?

You're probably affiliated to one of these carriers who desperately HATE the idea of MNP...because for once it removes some of the chains tying down customers to their network. I have NEVER gotten 3G on my Airtel line in my house...i have HSDPA 3.5G in my house on my Etisalat modem. Why the heck will i not move my airtel line to Etisalat where I am guaranteed faster data speeds all over the city i live in?

11 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by driand(m): 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
this writer is an mtn agent, u've come to talk us into holding on to your network with your expensive call rates, i say the time has come for u to go down d drain, have a nice day...... Scumbags...SMH.....!

7 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by texazzpete(m): 4:39pm On Apr 05, 2013
nenergy: The use of dual/Tri Sim phones in Nigeria will frustrate the MNP. I for one have all 4 sim cards (i use 3 number at a time-1 single sim & 1 dual sim phone),so no need to port. Only dissatisfied customers who use only one line will port.

Not everyone is interested in using your low end Dual or Tri Sim phones, thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2013
patholaw: pls some1 should summarize the story 4 me angry
E better say you get all the GSM Sim card than make you stay with one provider by removing your number from say Glo to MTN. I hope say you understand me.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tecno Mobile First Full-screen Display Smartphone / Upload Camera Phone Snaps Here! / Pictures From Infinix Note 30 Launch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.