Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? (3843 Views)

Pls Help Leaking Power Steering Oil In My 1999 Toyota Camry / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by instinctg(m): 8:42am On Apr 14, 2013
I sometimes hear a whimming sound when trying to turn my steering. In such cases, I top d power steering oil with Abro ATF fluid and this consumes about a liter.

This exercise is being carried out approximately every month. My instincts tell me dat dis is on d high side and I can't view any leakage in d hoses.

Is this normal ?
Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 14, 2013
instinctg: I sometimes hear a whimming sound when trying to turn my steering. In such cases, I top d power steering oil with Abro ATF fluid and this consumes about a liter.

This exercise is being carried out approximately every month. My instincts tell me dat dis is on d high side and I can't view any leakage in d hoses.

Is this normal ?

You shouldn't need to top up your PAS fluid. It's a recirculating fluid circuit. If you need to top it ip, you have a leak.

Find it, and get it fixed.

1 Like

Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by instinctg(m): 10:52am On Apr 14, 2013
Thanks Sienna and great job u doing in this section,

I limited my search 4a leak to d hose around its container , bt probed further under the car and discovered there's a leak .

I'd take it to a mechanic 4a fix.
Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by elektra80: 1:24pm On Apr 14, 2013
instinctg: I sometimes hear a whimming sound when trying to turn my steering. In such cases, I top d power steering oil with Abro ATF fluid and this consumes about a liter.

Is this normal ?

Does it make the noise while cold and then the noise reduces while engine gets hot. I'm sure most mechanics will tell u to change the power steering pump. By the way what make is ut car?

Most whining sound is caused by a bad inlet o ring. It's located on the inlet joint where the power steering fluid enters into the pump. It's gonna cost u approximately 500 naira to fix, u can even do it urself. Just change the o ring (it's just a small round rubber). Below is the link to download the PDF on how to fix this. Do this or ask ur mechanics to do it for u and bye bye to the whining sound.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...tKUVDehvCeRc-Q

Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by instinctg(m): 2:14pm On Apr 14, 2013
@Elektra,

Tnx so much as the car is a golf 3. Actually d sound occurs when d oil level is low and once I top it, d sound disappears.

I would put ur suggestion and Siena's into consideration.

Regards.
Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 14, 2013
instinctg: Tnx so much as the car is a golf 3. Actually d sound occurs when d oil level is low and once I top it, d sound disappears.

A VW Golf III!! And you're running ATF in the power assisted steering system?? You've ruined the seals for sure now, in the pump and rack. The seals do not tolerate ATF.

Your VW Golf is meant to run Mineral Oil - CHF 11S, Citroen LHM oil or Volkswagen / Audi G004. Nothing else is compatible.
Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by instinctg(m): 5:13pm On Apr 14, 2013
Oops ! Siena, So u mean changing d pump and rack seals would be d remedy ?

My ignorance cos dats wat I was adviced to use initially.

I would follow up as advised, tnx so much boss.
Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by EBA19: 10:15am On Jan 10, 2018

A VW Golf III!! And you're running ATF in the power assisted steering system?? You've ruined the seals for sure now, in the pump and rack. The seals do not tolerate ATF.

Your VW Golf is meant to run Mineral Oil - CHF 11S, Citroen LHM oil or Volkswagen / Audi G004. Nothing else is compatible.
where do you get this oil in Nigeria??
Re: How Often Should You Top Power Steering Oil ? by paix(m): 9:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
My car is electric power steering.

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Better: Honda 96 Model Vs Mazda 626 99 Model. / Toyota Hybrid Does Not Start / My Experience With A Certain Nairaland Super Mechanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.