Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,735 members, 7,824,084 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? (27158 Views)

Getting Ready For Job Interview – How To Keep Calm / Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" / What Exactly Is The Salary Of A Graduate In NIMC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Mrevildoer(m): 12:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
mariannlove: Hw Do I Answer This Questn In An Interview:hw Much Wld You Like To Be Paid?

pls nairalanders help me out. Your contribution wil be highly appreciated. Thanks

Ask d mOn.key how much he would love to pay you. angry angry angry
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by honestivo(m): 12:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
Tel dem 2 pay according 2 ur qualification
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by hidenconyo(m): 12:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
platinumricky: The first time i was asked dis question, I just looked the man who was interviewing me straight in the eyes and smiled...my response was along dis line; let's be realistic here! We all want money- even if am offered a million on a monthly basis i won't mind *both of us laughed @ dis point*...I believe you folks had a particular salary range in mind for this position before now; i want to hear it...to know if i will be 'cool with it' *end of story: funny enuf, i was offered the job but I had to turn it down because I got a better offer elsewhere*
platinumricky: The first time i was asked dis question, I just looked the man who was interviewing me straight in the eyes and smiled...my response was along dis line; let's be realistic here! We all want money- even if am offered a million on a monthly basis i won't mind *both of us laughed @ dis point*...I believe you folks had a particular salary range in mind for this position before now; i want to hear it...to know if i will be 'cool with it' *end of story: funny enuf, i was offered the job but I had to turn it down because I got a better offer elsewhere*
best answer so far
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by coogar: 12:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
wonlasewonimi:
Seriously, there is no right or wrong answer for this. If an organisation doesn't pick you because you stated an amount, thank your stars cos that's a very useless establishment.

The proper thing is to let the interviewer know your strengths, what you have achieved over time, what you can bring in terms of value added. State what you currently earn and tell them to make you an offer, if it matches your desired or projected earnings. You can take it from there!

there's a right answer to it....
just tell your interviewer to pay you as the market rate dictates. never ever quote any amount of money.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by dkc(m): 12:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
Mad Cow: Depends on the Job.

A friend of mine who was out of a job for about two years went for an interview where he was asked how much would he like for his salary.. He thought about it and coming from a 400,000 Naira a month job, he just voiced out 800,000. Guess what! The employer just said Okay! Well, when he started working, he realized that the parent company was offering 1.6 million Naira for that position. He tried to renegotiate that rate and was not successful until the end of that job.

If you are going for an interview at a Service Management company (i.e These companies that hire you for other companies like banks, Oil & Gas companies, e.t.c) please always talk percentage not actual sum. And the ideal percentage is always 75% (after tax).

If you are going for a direct employment job, then you can talk actual sum.
75% of what?

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Ogegod87: 12:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
anitank: Lol! Very true. I've fallen prey to that same question. U shld have seen the way my interviewer opened his mouth when I gave him a figure grin grin Truth is u'd never know what the salary range is like. They'd give u the job and still pay u accordingly if they want to, not becos u quoted too high or too low

u so on point. I've heard ppl say its not right 2 cal an amount of money wen such a Q is posed @ an interview....... Okay. i was invited 4 an interview, after d many questions, i was asked d same Q. i started beating abt d bush. D interviewer den said, tel us ur worth. i paused, and stated a certain amount of money. End of interview. I tot i had lost d job cause of dat, but no, i got d job....

Bottom line, be confident/bold 2 tel dem wat u're worth. If u re worth #100, 10k to 100k, na only u know ur worth. gudluck.

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
anitank: Even with the big big grammer, none of you have answered the question ooo.

Can't blame anyone though, this question is a very tricky one and no single person can give a specific answer
Mba! there's nothin tricky dia.
4 d post of a driver, hold ya liver 4 hand & tell dem it's gonna be 250k per month, if d "oga @ d top" by himself leave office com down 2 ask u 2 repeat ya sef, tell dem u meant, "in Zimbabwean dollars". grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by duality(m): 12:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
Ogegod87:

u so on point. I've heard ppl say its not right 2 cal an amount of money wen such a Q is posed @ an interview....... Okay. i was invited 4 an interview, after d many questions, i was asked d same Q. i started beating abt d bush. D interviewer den said, tel us ur worth. i paused, and stated a certain amount of money. End of interview. I tot i had lost d job cause of dat, but no, i got d job....

Bottom line, be confident/bold 2 tel dem wat u're worth. If u re worth #100, 10k to 100k, na only u know ur worth. gudluck.

and you think an organisation will pay you what you are worth? you think people working are paid what they worth? you were paid what you quoted because they were OK with it.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by yemmight(m): 1:11pm On Apr 15, 2013
As HR professional, asking for candidates’ salary expectation has become component of recruitment processes. This tends to address issues of Company’s ability to pay prospective candidates, improve salaries of existing employees.

If you are asked about salary expectation, its immature to answer with ‘company should pay me what you are paying my category’ this kind of response has demonstrated that such candidate has not placed any price on himself/herself.

Any structured organisation has a standard on how employees are remunerated based on work experiences, qualifications, year of graduation etc. My advices most times to people while conducting an interview have always been that please be very reasonable with your salary demands.

However, if a company finds you suitable for a particular job and your demand is way above what they are proposing, you may still be given an offer.

Let me correct this impression people do have. I have been involved in recruitment for over 13 years now. If you are found suitable and the company is keen in bringing you on board but you are asking well above what they intend paying you, the offer letter will still be presented to you. The decision to take up the jobs lies on you. And in some cases, companies do change your salaries and grades to enable them secure you.

Finally, don’t over price yourself and don’t under sell yourself. An instance of a very fresh graduate that came for an interview and i asked what his expectation was and he said N150,000. As HR professional, people like that i sit them down and lecture them how they should choose career path.

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
I wouldnt even give a joker like you a mop job. Your sentence construction and spelling makes me wonder if you ever saw the fore walls of a secondary."i shul be bold enough to say a big amount cos my qually and experience worth my pay...i go squeeze faze fully bold call my price...after all i worth it...DON'T BE A BEGGER DURING INTERVIEW....BE ORIGINAL...DAT ONLY MEKS U EARN UR RESPECT".... Have you heard of the book Brighter Grammar? You need it ASAP
ajos: don't be local...be original.....after spending my cash on handouts,assignments,practicals,reports/research...etc i shul be bold enough to say a big amount cos my qually and experience worth my pay...i go squeeze faze fully bold call my price...after all i worth it...DON'T BE A BEGGER DURING INTERVIEW....BE ORIGINAL...DAT ONLY MEKS U EARN UR RESPECT....
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by wonlasewonimi: 1:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
coogar:

just tell your interviewer to pay you as the market rate dictates. never ever quote any amount of money.

If you are domiciled in Lagos and the Job is in Adamawa, would you accept the market rates for Adamawa?

Tell them to make you an offer. Now, counter the offer with valid reasons/contraints that would make them bump it up to your desired level. It's all about haggling.

But, if you are a recent graduate you don't need all the megedefegede...do your reasearch about the going rate for such position in that particular area.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ozodimgba(m): 1:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
Reasonably negotiable.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by eklassical(m): 1:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
Fresh graduate range of salaries--B.sc(90k-150k)/month (100k-180k)with professional Qualification

Ond(20k-40k)

Hnd(80k-100k)

Don't go η rate ur self higher dan you would deliver!

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by globechamp: 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
@yemmight, thanks for the insight.

For me,

I always SELL MYSELF to the point where they would have made a decision. I always package myself from the start. Excellent looking CV, very brief and straight to the point cover letter, adequate knowledge of the responsibilities, roles and challenges of the new job, all developed and developing relevant skill sets I have, very good background research on the company and the current projects they are working on and by the way, I am a good talker.

Secondly, I do a research on the average industry rate for that position. Compared to my current annual salary at my present place of work, I compute an after tax minimum monthly amount I cannot take anything less, I increase the annual gross with a premium band that is negotiable. By the time I arrive at that question in an interview, I already have a figure, below which I will walk away if what is offered is anything significantly below (if its a bit below, I can consider it)

Also, I always let them know that the reason why I am negotiating a fair price is because I will never have that opportunity again. Please please, do not overprice yourself because that could hurt, and secondly, please do not undervalue yourself because it is from that point that your increment, salary review and promotion will begin onward. It feels very bad when you eventually discover that some less qualified or even your subordinates are earning better than you just because you didnt negotiate right. I am speaking from experience and I have promised myself never to make that mistake again in life. (MOST FIRMS IN NIGERIA DO NOT HAVE SALARY STRUCTURE. YOU CAN FIND PEOPLE ON THE SAME ROLE EARNING SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT SALARIES, SO PLEASE NEGOTIATE RIGHT)

Remember, it is always a 50/50 game. No matter how low your request is, that doesnt mean the firm will choose you at the end of the day. If you are truly bringing a lot of value to the table, even if your amount is a bit higher than what they pay your role, the firm will be willing to take the risk.

ALL THE BEST
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by steffans(m): 1:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
SimplYeahmee: Truth is all organizations will ask Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̅ this question in an interview. What Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are meant to do is b4 d interview find a way to know the salary for the position Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are applying for, let's say it's 45k/mnt. During the interview, when asked such question, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ don't quote the exact amnt but Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ give them a range like Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ say in the range of 40k - 50k.
This way, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ avoid overquoting and underquoting. Like that 45/mnt will amnt to 540k/yr. If Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote sumtin lyk 250 - 300, they say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are cheap and if Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote in the 700k-800k they'll say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are too expensive (and ℓ̊ laff).
So what Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ might say is btw 500k-600k/yr.
This way they have no way of dropping Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ based on salary.

Can't u turn dis BB font stuff Reading dis stuff made my eyes hurt...

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ASOLAWAL(m): 1:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
WAO!! Lovely post. job interview experience differs, every organizations have stipulated salary structure either u over state or under state ur worth. i was forced by d interviewer to say my expectation which i did after all efforts to skip d question base on series of advice not to mention any amount. If d job wld b given, ur salary wld b base on d coy's pay sructure. although, i over-stated my salary expectation but i'v been paid base on coy's structure. SHIKENAH!!!

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by bravedude(m): 1:44pm On Apr 15, 2013
Michael Sokoto:
Mba! there's nothin tricky dia. 4 d post of a driver, hold ur liver 4 hand tell dem it's gonna be 250k per month, if d "oga @ d top" by himself leave office com down 2 tell u 2 repeat ya sef, tell dem u meant, "in Ghanaian Cedis ". grin
abeg make unu helep me click "like" ya. grin

Are you good at converting currency make use of this site www.xe.com and u will be amazed at what 250k Ghanaian cedis is when converted to Nigerian Naira.

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Rufex07(m): 2:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
Michael Sokoto:
C.E.O/Presi grin
grin
Michael Sokoto:
C.E.O/Presi grin

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by tomzman: 2:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
In addition to what others have posted, Op, I think Jarus has dealt with this kind of thing in his thread on interview. I cant remember the title of that thread now. just search for jarus and take a look at his topics you will surely find it. I would have copied the link here but I'm browsing with my phone now. Goodluck.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Blissbrain(m): 2:55pm On Apr 15, 2013
Its always technical when u'r puzzled with such questions in interview, every organization has a pay structure, your answer should b '' pay me in accordance to d salary scale for d position'', so dat u dont over or under grade ursef, except u want 2 prove to d organization dat u worth more dan their salary grade, then price ur self high

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by MadCow1: 2:55pm On Apr 15, 2013
dkc:
75% of what?

75% of the contract sum, after tax.

I got ecrewed on my first job as well. The guy offered me 45% after tax. At the end of each month, my contractor made more than I was making.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Praktikals(m): 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
begwong: what a timely/handy question.
Looking forward for an interview soonest.
Wish me luck!
Goodluck, my brother. Me, I still dey year 2.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ladeski: 3:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
ekel101:
pls nairalanders help me out. Your contribution wil be highly appreciated. Thanks

This is a tricky question, Dont Answer this Question on a first Interview, Just tell them that, you will stick to the Organisation pay for that position. Its not a good thing to start discussing money on a first interview it makes you look like someone that likes money. And if they insist that you should say an amount. Dont be afraid to say What you would like to earn, they cant disqualify you for saying a fair amount except if that amount is ridiculous for Eg As a bank teller you are asking for 300,000. Just Say something fair
Fair like what is the question?
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Networkmaster(m): 3:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
Well, I have never missed any interview in my life. I grab all the opportunities thanks to God.
This is how to answer that question: If you are already working; just let them know its an interesting question but you would like to let them know what you earn presently by stating how much you earn at your present office.
However, I know my profession and I know how much companies pay for my profession, so I usually tell them, the market related price will be fine but the money is not the issue here even though we will all like to add something to our pay check but the most important thing is proving what you are capable of doing and the value you can add to the company.

In this country companies don't just employ you, they give you three months probation, so i usually tell them, I would like us to review the Price issue after i might have proven myself during the 3 months probation, that's if they don't mind....
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Danielh(m): 3:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
i just tell them according to company's standard..because some companies already have a benchmark for payment of salary at any level of entry..[color=#990000][/color]
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ladeski: 3:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
coogar:

wrong. you never jam some hard line interviewers.

you will sweat that answer out. they wont accept market rate bull crap.

if they insist you give a figure what do you do?
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Jubal01: 3:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
SimplYeahmee: Truth is all organizations will ask Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̅ this question in an interview. What Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are meant to do is b4 d interview find a way to know the salary for the position Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are applying for, let's say it's 45k/mnt. During the interview, when asked such question, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ don't quote the exact amnt but Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ give them a range like Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ say in the range of 40k - 50k.
This way, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ avoid overquoting and underquoting. Like that 45/mnt will amnt to 540k/yr. If Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote sumtin lyk 250 - 300, they say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are cheap and if Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote in the 700k-800k they'll say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are too expensive (and ℓ̊ laff).
So what Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ might say is btw 500k-600k/yr.
This way they have no way of dropping Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ based on salary.
What av u written here pls? Dis is absolute balderdash! U've nt said anything. Rubbish!
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by fuckluv(f): 3:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
tpapi: it seems u just bought dis bb
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by gohamburg(f): 4:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
ekel101:

This is a tricky question, Dont Answer this Question on a first Interview, Just tell them that, you will stick to the Organisation pay for that position. Its not a good thing to start discussing money on a first interview it makes you look like someone that likes money. And if they insist that you should say an amount. Dont be afraid to say What you would like to earn, they cant disqualify you for saying a fair amount except if that amount is ridicul
ous for Eg As a bank teller you are asking for 300,000. Just Say something fair
Perfect Answer.Same thing I was told by a head hunter.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
Nice thread. Thanks @op
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by coogar: 4:43pm On Apr 15, 2013
ladeski:
wrong. you never jam some hard line interviewers.

you will sweat that answer out. they wont accept market rate bull crap.

if they insist you give a figure what do you do?

they cannot insist i give a figure....they know what the market rate is so why ask a trick question? hard line interviewer would only jam with a hard line job applicant! i always win.

wonlasewonimi:
If you are domiciled in Lagos and the Job is in Adamawa, would you accept the market rates for Adamawa?

of course....
it would be the market rate @ adamawa plus the cost of moving to adamawa and other benefits!

Tell them to make you an offer. Now, counter the offer with valid reasons/contraints that would make them bump it up to your desired level. It's all about haggling.

you wont get the job if you go this route....

But, if you are a recent graduate you don't need all the megedefegede...do your reasearch about the going rate for such position in that particular area.

#sighs#

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Inland Revenue Service Recruitment 2019 / Careers At Nlng Recruitment Of Graduate Trainees / List Of People To Visit The N-Power Situation Room, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.