Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,327 members, 7,860,809 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:40 PM

Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon (961 Views)

I Found The God Particle! / "God Particle" Found Is Science Attempting To Mock God? / Scientist Claims To Discover The God Particle, The Origin Of The Universe 7/4/12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 8:45am On Apr 08, 2008
British physicist Peter Higgs said on Monday it should soon be possible to prove the existence of a force which gives mass to the universe and makes life possible -- as he first argued 40 years ago.

More here ==> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080407/sc_nm/science_particle_dc
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by bawomolo(m): 3:32pm On Apr 08, 2008
peter higgs is an atheist. he doesn't even agree with the name "God particle"
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 08, 2008
bawomolo:

peter higgs is an atheist. he doesn't even agree with the name "God particle"

He is retired; and his younger and more active colleagues know better and refer to it as 'God Particle'.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by bawomolo(m): 4:26pm On Apr 08, 2008
He is retired; and his younger and more active colleagues know better and refer to it as 'God Particle'.

he doesn't agree with the name, how do they know better than a well respected scientist?
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2008
bawomolo:

he doesn't agree with the name,
Because the name does not agree with his emotions?

bawomolo:

how do they know better than a well respected scientist?
Science respects observed facts much more than the authority of any scientist.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by KAG: 9:24am On Apr 11, 2008
imhotep:

British physicist Peter Higgs said on Monday it should soon be possible to prove the existence of a force which gives mass to the universe and makes life possible -- as he first argued 40 years ago.

More here ==> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080407/sc_nm/science_particle_dc

Good stuff. Uh, you seem to be mistaking an issue of nomenclature for evidence of your theological stance. If this discovery pans out it will be more supportive of those who point out that no gods are necessary for the origins of matter, etc.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 11, 2008
KAG:

Good stuff. Uh, you seem to be mistaking an issue of nomenclature for evidence of your theological stance. If this discovery pans out it will be more supportive of those who point out that no gods are necessary for the origins of matter, etc.

It actually begs the questions =>

- What caused this force to come into existence in the first place?
- Can an infinite regress of causes be possible?

What I find amusing is that they call it the 'God particle' - are they now tired of searching for natural causes of these phenomena?
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by KAG: 10:32am On Apr 11, 2008
imhotep:

It actually begs the questions =>

- What caused this force to come into existence in the first place?

the force that caused the higgs boson? the big bang.

- Can an infinite regress of causes be possible?

from a pure-reason based stance, no, i don't think so. However, things that are counter-intuitive have shown themselves possible in the past.

In any case, that's not what was posited.

What I find amusing is that they call it the 'God particle' - are they now tired of searching for natural causes of these phenomena?

you are getting tangled up in nomenclature again. I forget now why it was given its name, but it certainly has nothing to do with deities an their realm.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 11, 2008
KAG:

the force that caused the higgs boson? the big bang.
Good. Next question -> what caused the big bang?

KAG:

from a pure-reason based stance, no, i don't think so. However, things that are counter-intuitive have shown themselves possible in the past.

In any case, that's not what was posited.
Well, it needs to be addressed if the research is to be thorough.

KAG:

you are getting tangled up in nomenclature again. I forget now why it was given its name, but it certainly has nothing to do with deities and their realm.
Ok. Lets call it the 'X particle'. Now, again, what caused the X particle to come into existence?
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by KAG: 10:45am On Apr 11, 2008
imhotep:

Good. Next question -> what caused the big bang?

Who cares?

Well, it needs to be addressed if the research is to be thorough.

It is being addressed.

Ok. Lets call it the 'X particle'. Now, again, what caused the X particle to come into existence?

You're kidding right?
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 11, 2008
KAG:

Who cares?
Science does. Since science is very interested in effects and their causes.

KAG:

It is being addressed.
But you just asked 'Who cares?'. Is this how they hope to address the 'problem' of an infinite regress of causes?

KAG:

You're kidding right?
Not kidding at all.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by KAG: 11:09am On Apr 11, 2008
imhotep:

Science does. Since science is very interested in effects and their causes.

you misunderstand, it's "you don't care!"

But you just asked 'Who cares?'. Is this how they hope to address the 'problem' of an infinite regress of causes?

yes, yes it is.

Not kidding at all.

I suppose i can't be blamed for hoping that it was a jokes, especially considering the fact the question about what may have caused the higgs boson is coming from the guy who started a thread with links about the force behind the higgs boson.

I'm not sure I can rustle up enough of a damn to continue to respond to your posts.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 11, 2008
KAG:

you misunderstand, it's "you don't care!"
I asked the questions. Remember?

KAG:

yes, yes it is.
Then they should prepare for more groping in the dark.

KAG:

I suppose i can't be blamed for hoping that it was a jokes, especially considering the fact the question about what may have caused the higgs boson is coming from the guy who started a thread with links about the force behind the higgs boson.
Not a joke but a question. If the 'X particle' caused the higgs boson, what caused the X particle to come into existence?

KAG:

I'm not sure I can rustle up enough of a damn to continue to respond to your posts.
Then the issues remain outstanding.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by KAG: 11:35am On Apr 11, 2008
My last post

imhotep:

I asked the questions. Remember?

I've seen your mode of asking questions. Like I said, "you don't care!" You don't ask questions because you are interested in the answers or thoughts of others, you ask so as to give the impression that your notions on such matters haven't already assured the occurence of cognitive dissonance. You're not a very honest person; nor, to be frank a very smart dishonest person.

Then they should prepare for more groping in the dark.

Yet in groping they have found more than many dogmatic theologians who revel in being blind to the actualities of the universe.

Not a joke but a question. If the 'X particle' caused the higgs boson, what caused the X particle to come into existence?

I take it you didn't read the article you posted, just the title.

Then the issues remain outstanding.

In your sphere of existence? If you cared enough.
Re: Key Scientist Sure "God' Particle" Will Be Found Soon by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 11, 2008
KAG:

My last post

I've seen your mode of asking questions. Like I said, "you don't care!" You don't ask questions because you are interested in the answers or thoughts of others, you ask so as to give the impression that your notions on such matters haven't already assured the occurence of cognitive dissonance. You're not a very honest person; nor, to be frank a very smart dishonest person.
Strange that I have hardly gotten answers to my questions - in whatever mode they came.

KAG:

Yet in groping they have found more than many dogmatic theologians who revel in being blind to the actualities of the universe.
Really? What about these priest-theologian-scientists below =>

List of Jesuit Scientists:

* François d'Aguilon-Belgian mathematician and physicist who worked on optics.
* Giuseppe Asclepi-Italian astronomer.
* Joseph Bayma-He did work relating to stereochemistry.
* Giuseppe Biancani-Astronomer and selenographer who wrote Sphaera mundi, seu cosmographia demonstrativa, ac facili methodo tradita
* Bonaventure Berloty-first director of the Ksara Observatory in Lebanon.
* Michel Benoist-Missionary to China and scientist.
* Mario Bettinus-Mathematician and astronomer.
* Jacques de Billy-He wrote on number theory and astronomy.
* Michał Boym-Missionary to China known for botanical and zoological works.
* Roger Joseph Boscovich-Polymath famous for his atomic theory in part. Also for devising perhaps the first geometric procedure for determining the equator of a rotating planet from three observations of a surface feature and for computing the orbit of a planet from three observations of its position.
* Paolo Casati-Meteorology and speculation on Vacuums.
* Tommaso Ceva-Mathematician and poet who wrote a work on geometry.
* Christopher Clavius-Most noted in connection with the Gregorian calendar, but also his arithmetic books were used by many mathematicians including Leibniz and Descartes.
* Guy Consolmagno-An astronomer at the Vatican Observatory who has primarily devoted himself to planetary science.
* George V. Coyne-Astronomer whose research interests have been in polarimetric studies of various subjects including Seyfert galaxies.
* Albert Curtz-German astronomer.
* James Cullen (mathematician)-Known for the Cullen numbers.
* Johann Baptist Cysat-He did important research on comets and the Orion nebula.
* Jean-Charles de la Faille-Belgian mathematician.
* Gyula Fényi-Hungarian astronomer noted for his observations of the Sun.
* José Gabriel Funes-Argentine who currently heads the Vatican Observatory, succeeding George Coyne.
* Christoph Grienberger-Astronomer and mathematician.
* Francesco Maria Grimaldi-He coined the word 'diffraction' and used instruments to measure geological features on the Moon.
* Maximilian Hell-A director of the Vienna Observatory who wrote astronomy tables and observed the Transit of Venus.
* Pierre Marie Heude-French missionary and zoologist.
* Georg Joseph Kamel-Missionary and botanist, the genus Camellia is named for him.
* Athanasius Kircher-In his Scrutinium Pestis of 1658 he noted the presence of "little worms" or "animalcules" in the blood, and concluded that the disease was caused by microorganisms. This is antecedent to germ theory.
* Wenceslas Pantaleon Kirwitzer-Astronomer and missionary to China.
* Franz Xaver Kugler-Most known for his study of cuneiform tablets he was also a chemist.
* Antoine de Laloubère-Mathematician who studied the properties of the helix.
* Eugene Lafont- Founder of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
* Charles Malapert-Known for observing the stars of the southern sky and being against Copernicus.
* Paul McNally-American astronomer who was a director of the Georgetown observatory.
* Christian Mayer-Czech astronomer known for pioneering study of binary stars.
* Juan Ignacio Molina-Chilean ornithologist and a botanist with a Author citation (botany).
* Alexius Sylvius Polonus-Polish astronomer.
* Franz Reinzer-He wrote about comets, meteors, lightning, winds, fossils, metals, etc.
* Matteo Ricci-Mathematician, math translator, and noted for importance to the Jesuit China missions.
* Giovanni Battista Riccioli-He wrote several works on astronomy and was the first to note that Mizar was a "double star."
* Giovanni Girolamo Saccheri-A mathematician who was perhaps the first European to write about Non-Euclidean geometry.
* Christoph Scheiner-Astronomer noted for a dispute with Galileo Galilei over the discovery of Sunspots.
* Gaspar Schott-He wrote on various mechanical and scientific topics, example gear, but little original research.
* Angelo Secchi-He discovered the existence of solar spicules and drew an early map of Mars
* Gerolamo Sersale-Selenographer, the crater Sirsalis (crater) is named for him.
* Ignacije Szentmartony-"obtained the title of royal mathematician and astronomer" and used his astronomical knowledge in mapping parts of Brazil
* André Tacquet-His work prepared ground for the eventual discovery of calculus.
* Pierre Teilhard de Chardin-French Palaeontologist and philosopher involved in the discovery of the so-called Peking Man.
* Franz de Paula Triesnecker-Austrian astronomer.
* Theodor Wulf-Among the first experimenters to detect excess atmospheric radiation.
* Niccolo Zucchi-Italian astronomer known for his study of Jupiter and work on telescope design.
* Giovanni Battista Zupi-Italian astronomer who discovered that Mercury had orbital phases.

KAG:
I take it you didn't read the article you posted, just the title.
I read it thoroughly.

KAG:
In your sphere of existence? If you cared enough.
More in YOUR sphere than mine. You are the one struggling hard to disprove the existence of God.

(1) (Reply)

Money Hungry Prosperity Preachers / Nlders: How Do I Forgive ? / The Secret Of The Universe(kabbala).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.