Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,651 members, 7,823,845 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? (2451 Views)

Loving My First Love. / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. / My Gift To The Loving People Of Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Rosby(m): 10:45am On May 11, 2006
Nairaland users, should try to read peoms posted in this forum, evaluate and send comments. We should make sure we comment on any poem that interest us. POETRY IS LIFE.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Seun(m): 11:20am On May 11, 2006
I don't appreciate poems so much; they are generally not very real. if a poem is written for me and really captures truths about my person then I'd appreciate it. General poems, however, don't interest me much. Yet!
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Rosby(m): 12:42pm On May 11, 2006
So Seun do you want me to write one specially for u?
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by rikkyjen(m): 5:46pm On May 11, 2006
@Seun Osewa, where have you been?
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Eastcoast(f): 7:33pm On May 11, 2006
nigerians don't reallly like poems neither do we enjoy reading.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Seun(m): 11:11pm On May 11, 2006
Yes, rosby. So where's my poem? remember, I'm a sexy sexy brainy brainy beauty. cheesy
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by hotangel2(f): 6:12am On May 12, 2006
I think poems are cocky.

I appreciate good poems tho.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Rolly: 3:13pm On May 12, 2006
i love poems esp love poems they are good. keep 'em comin' ! cheesy
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by macalurs(m): 11:46pm On Oct 16, 2006
hot-angel:

I think poems are cocky.

Poems cocky!!?? jesus

The guy no fit write poem you refer am to school of romance. The guy write one for you you say him to get diick. . . . na wah ooo
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by talk2ahmed(m): 8:08pm On Oct 17, 2006
Poems are really nice when they are true, real and straight to the point , for me i like poems that reflect africannes and true culture. Not words and concepts meant for the west. Listen to BBC Africa and u'll like every bit of the poem u hear there grin
I'll appreciate a poem on peace in africa or peace in Nigeria , any body ?
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by EbonicSoul(f): 10:11pm On Oct 17, 2006
I particularly lovvve poems as long as they arent cheesy- some ppl should never write cuz they just suk,  any man on here that can write sensible poems can PM meeven better; anyone on here that does spoken wordz poetry can DEFINITELY PM me

Who wants a poetry challenge[color=#990000][/color]
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by EbonicSoul(f): 10:51pm On Oct 17, 2006
@ talk2ahmed

Say poppa put that hammer down
He aint nothing but a brotha
Cuz if you cant see a brotha in a next nucca
Who u bout to depend on?

They say home is where ur heart is
If it is, then hes here for a reason
The ones who never made it
Need to be mourned because they are lost

So poppa put ur knife down
This is us, not a stranger
How we gon end the war
If we cant even stop the fight

Freedom aint free, But we aint got to keep payin
Learn from the white man; never war in ur own home

Pls poppa put ur gundown
Did someone not thank God for him?
On his birthday; was he not a clean slate?
But life made him this way

Never a burglar without a life to learn him it
You shoot, then we end up with yet, anotha dead brotha
God knows we don’t need no more. We already got cemetaries full’a these

undecided dont worry mista- i'll write u one better when i get ma thoughts collected. in the mean time, feed off of that grin lolz
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Ka: 11:04pm On Oct 17, 2006
Poetry?

I once wrote the following poem to a girl I was 'targeting':

My dear, I think you are very nice
Many times better than jollof rice
The thought that comes when I think of you
Is of fufu and chicken and egusi stew
Let me try to explain what my love means
It's like well-cooked tomatoes, onions and beans
For the love I have for you, I am
Prepared to give a bowl of pounded yam!

Needless to say, I was 'nailed' very harshly by the intended target. smiley
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by macalurs(m): 5:01am On Oct 18, 2006
oh well
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by osteen(m): 9:04am On Oct 18, 2006
Can only enjoy poem when the tommy is filled.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by yankidelta(m): 11:19am On Oct 18, 2006
Nigerians are very nice ppl but we're all too busy chasing money that we dont appreciate little things that coulld change our lives, poems n poetry inclusive.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Orikinla(m): 1:53pm On Oct 18, 2006
Eni ti ko ba mo itan pa, ko da nkan mo.

Who says Nigerians don't love poetry?
What an ironical statement!
When our life is poetry in motion.

Ahah!
From Ifa to Nsibidi, our life is poetry
Can we speak our mother tongues without proverbs?

Oratory is poetry.
And Africans are the best orators on earth.

Nigerians celebrate life in poetry.

Oral culture produces oral literature.

Nigerians by our tradition prefer perfromance poetry than reading books of poems.

I was with a fellow poet who even made over a million naira at the launching of his slim volume of poems. Everybody wanted a copy of his book.

But it is not everyone who breaks up sentences in stanzas makes a poet.
Poetry is the highest form of literature.

Sokwanele!
Enough is enough!
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by kambo(m): 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2006
if the poems could be cashed at the bank
i bet u nigerians would drool over it!!
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Orikinla(m): 12:05am On Oct 21, 2006
Well, to really show appreciation for poetry, you all can read my latest collection of poems
http://www.amazon.com/Scarlet-Tears-London-Orikinla-Osinachi/dp/184728051X.

I am a universal poet.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by marlet01(m): 11:44am On Oct 21, 2006
Actually nigerian's don't really love poem and am also one of dem
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Orikinla(m): 7:37pm On Oct 22, 2006
How to make Nigerian enjoy poetry do it the way the Yorubas do.
By the Oriki. Because when you recite the Oriki of anyone, the person would be charged to appreciate the poem celebrating his or her Oriki.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by rudeboy(m): 8:46am On Oct 24, 2006
MARLET01 how did you know that naija don't love poems??
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by newera(f): 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2006
It's a known fact all over the world that poems are not as easy to read as standard prose. Most poems are deep, a message from the author spoken in the language of the mind rather than the language we all understand. It takes time to decode and probably we are sometimes not patient.

Maybe that's why we embrace love poems more easily because we all experience love, one way or the other.

But Nigerians love poetry. Our proverbs are poetry, our midnight fables are poetry, most of our songs are poetry, oriki is poetry. The problem may be that our poets sometimes write our poetry in another culture rather than ours.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by angelstone(f): 11:25am On Oct 26, 2006
well i dnt believe u guys cos a lot of nigerians write their thoughts down as poetry esp wen they young i write and i love poetry and hav seen a lot of people who do.its just that we dnt hav places to meet and share our poems like we hav places to go and listen to nice music or watch films or stage plays.i have about three of my poems on www.poetry.com if u check it out u wud see look for poet suziette ukey.i actually sent them for the competitn.any how i believe just like how dance is taking its place in nigeria poems wud soon wake up.i enjoyed the poems i read but i think the one comparing his chick wit food is really a foood lover and he fit no like woman wer no sabi cook so abeg soffry.,

life's dynamic
we live to feel the beauty it gives
forgetting its behind
we strive for the unknown
searching for a meaning untold
we sail through with faith
faith like a dew drop
taking us into a world of great pleasure and saddness
in God we trust
in ourselves we try to believe
in time we grow
with a faith of a thousand lifes.
life's true
and we,
we pray
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by anizzle(m): 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2006
dont worry folks, whenwww.poeticnaija.com goes online, dem never born the nigerian wey no go gree say africa is pure poetry, from ogogoro to champagne.poetry in n out
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Orikinla(m): 10:27pm On Oct 27, 2006
angelstone:

well i dnt believe u guys because a lot of nigerians write their thoughts down as poetry esp when they young i write and i love poetry and hav seen a lot of people who do.its just that we dnt hav places to meet and share our poems like we hav places to go and listen to nice music or watch films or stage plays.i have about three of my poems on www.poetry.com if u check it out u would see look for poet suziette ukey.i actually sent them for the competitn.any how i believe just like how dance is taking its place in nigeria poems would soon wake up.i enjoyed the poems i read but i think the one comparing his chick wit food is really a foood lover and he fit no like woman wer no sabi cook so abeg soffry.,

life's dynamic
we live to feel the beauty it gives
forgetting its behind
we strive for the unknown
searching for a meaning untold
we sail through with faith
faith like a dew drop
taking us into a world of great pleasure and saddness
in God we trust
in ourselves we try to believe
in time we grow
with a faith of a thousand lifes.
life's true
and we,
we pray

The French Cultural Centre and Jazz Hole in Ikoyi are regular meeting places for performing poets. Just go there and have great moments of poetic bliss.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by gwatala(m): 6:29pm On Oct 28, 2006
www.poetry.com is SHIT.

They are crooks. Avoid them like a plague. There are a thousand better places to place your poems than where some whitey uses your work for his own commercial pleasure.

Beware.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by somegirl(f): 6:36pm On Oct 28, 2006
--- lipsrsealed
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Orikinla(m): 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2006
gwatala:

www.poetry.com is SHIT.

They are crooks. Avoid them like a plague. There are a thousand better places to place your poems than where some whitey uses your work for his own commercial pleasure.

Beware.

Yes.
I actually took up their case and copied the universities of the professors associated with them. Then, their attorney wrote me with a threat to take me to court for libel.

They are playing on the intelligence of innocent millions who want to see their words in print.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by TrueBrit: 11:03pm On Aug 02, 2008
Orikinla:

Yes.
I actually took up their case and copied the universities of the professors associated with them. Then, their attorney wrote me with a threat to take me to court for libel.

They are playing on the intelligence of innocent millions who want to see their words in print.

Any update on the threatened lawsuit?
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Cch3coo: 2:03pm On Aug 13, 2008
It is true that most people do not appreciate poetry. In a bid to have their poems read by a wider audience, lots of people have resorted to posting their poems in the main literature section.
Re: This Forum Is Too Dull. Are Nigerians Not Poem Loving People? by Seun(m): 9:49pm On Aug 13, 2008
Add lyrics to your poems, and people will love them. But for that to happen your poems must be rhythmic.

(1) (Reply)

STORY: The Painful Pleasure (EPISODE 1) / The Discovered Mole.. / My Complicated Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.