Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway (6524 Views)

No Allowance For Officials On Foreign Medical Treatment – FG / Ex-nsa Dasuki’s Trial: Nigerian Government Seeks To Stop Overseas Medical Trip / Mimiko Declares 3 Days Fasting And Prayers For Officials Killed On Plane Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by omoharry(f): 8:46am On Apr 16, 2013
Minister prepares bill to stop overseas medical treatments for officials

A Bill to stop public servants from travelling abroad at the expense of the Federal Government for treatment of ailments that can be satisfactorily tackled in Nigeria, is to be presented to the Federal Executive Council, FEC, this year.

President Goodluck Jonathan, is also billed to flag off a stroke awareness campaign in Abuja, as part of measures to tackle the rising burden of stroke, hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases in the country.

Disclosing this, weekend, during the presentation of his score card to the press, Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, said the Federal Ministry of Health was already compiling a list of health facilities that could handle specific ailments that Nigerians often go abroad to treat.

Chukwu, who observed that the Bill, which was being carefully composed, would become effective this year, asserted that compilation of the list began last year. He said even though the list is not exhaustive, it is being regularly updated.

His words: "It is correct to say the Federal government will not sponsor any case that can be satisfactorily handled in Nigeria. We are still at the level of the top management committee of the health ministry. It is a long process, we do not want to send a half-baked memo to the FEC, so it has to be well thought out and we have to carry people along.

"It is not enough for the Minister of Health to ask the President-in-Council that we should no longer sponsor public servants for cases that can be handled in Nigeria. We should know where these cases can be handled here

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/minister-prepares-bill-to-stop-overseas-medical-treatments-for-officials/
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by israel007: 8:51am On Apr 16, 2013
For what. Nigeria will be the first to do that. So they should stay back and die even when there are no adequate medical facilities in 9ja.

They should concentrate on putting efficient and effective medical facilities in place. Until then, the minister can go and sleep

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by adexsimply(m): 11:05am On Apr 16, 2013
bad news..so many people will get killed angry angry
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by theripper2: 11:05am On Apr 16, 2013
If I hear? Dis one wey Dame dey go Germany like say na cotonou.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by EKOBIZ: 11:08am On Apr 16, 2013
Is a good dream if not they won't know we need good health facilities here.
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by RedLight1: 11:09am On Apr 16, 2013
israel007: For what. Nigeria will be the first to do that. So they should stay back and die even when there are no adequate medical facilities in 9ja.

They should concentrate on putting efficient and effective medical facilities in place. Until then, the minister can go and sleep
they didnt say that the officials cant or will not be allowed to travel if he/she is ill or for medical check up....but Such journey wnt be sponsored with tax payers money

8 Likes

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by ALORLONDON: 11:09am On Apr 16, 2013
It states that the illness that can be tackled in Nigeria will now be paid for by the government. Please read the article and understand it first before rushing to make a comment.
israel007: For what. Nigeria will be the first to do that. So they should stay back and die even when there are no adequate medical facilities in 9ja.

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by klickstar: 11:11am On Apr 16, 2013
It seems our legislative is idle they all know for sure that is not gonna work out i beg next topic.
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Profidada: 11:11am On Apr 16, 2013
Commendable i hope it will be passed and implemented. Let use this medium to call on the minister of education to toe the same line of her health counterpart, by proposing a bill that will ban public officials, wives and children from seeking education outside the shores of this country.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by 2gbasky22(m): 11:11am On Apr 16, 2013
NA WASH!!!

1 Like

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by gabzzy: 11:12am On Apr 16, 2013
even though i knw it will never work, i think iz a good step. Bt at d same time it wil help in reducin d number of nigerian official e.g you knw better ...................
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 16, 2013
Wow! Let me rush and open my own Trado-medical store o.it is obvious that Senators would prefer to patronise my herbal shop than General Hospitals.
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Lilimax(f): 11:13am On Apr 16, 2013
omo harry: Minister prepares bill to stop overseas medical treatments for officials

The bill may not see the light of the day. Mark my word!
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by nmagirl(f): 11:20am On Apr 16, 2013
adexsimply: bad news..so many people will get killed angry angry

No, they won't. The officials can afford the bill abroad only that it will not be paid with taxpayers' money. Individuals can sponsor themselves no matter ur position, go n poo in d hospital abroad n come back, all from ur pocket n not govt's pocket. shekina!

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by redcliff: 11:22am On Apr 16, 2013
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by slimming: 11:28am On Apr 16, 2013
Good. they can go with their personal finance including the president
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Abok1(m): 11:28am On Apr 16, 2013
nmagirl:

No, they won't. The officials can afford the bill abroad only that it will not be paid with taxpayers' money. Individuals can sponsor themselves no matter ur position, go n poo in d hospital abroad n come back, all from ur pocket n not govt's pocket. shekina!

apart from the fact that the bill won't go past the first reading, how do we sufficiently determine that a government official is funding his medical trip from personal money and not the tax payer's money? When the money in his account in the first place is the government money already looted.

We don't need any bill on health care, what we need is a focus on the development of the healthcare infrastructures across the country a feat that would encourage patronage of these facilities. Even if the elites chose to go overseas for their healthcare needs, the better infrastructures would serve the masses.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by dridowu: 11:49am On Apr 16, 2013
100% sure d bill wil b thrown away into d gutter
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Koolking(m): 11:51am On Apr 16, 2013
Sheer misplacement of priority. Not necessary. I don't see how this will work. There are laws with stiff penalties for money laundering yet Nigerian monies are still laundered in trillions abroad. Let say, this discombobulated bill is given a nod, who/what stops me from feigning vacation abroad all in a bid to get medical attn. This bill does not hold water. Sitting allowance for the house members are misused.
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Venchy: 11:53am On Apr 16, 2013
This is what I want, Mr President have to lead the crusade followed by the Bloody senate and house of Rep.

Shameless and Heartless Leaders, no remorse for human life,while European Cat receive a better health compare to what Ordinary people get in Nigeria

They should all stay behind and be treated like every other citizens in the country, just like MANDELA never stepped out of South Africa. .
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by gysl1973: 11:57am On Apr 16, 2013
WHO BAN ME, SEUN ABI WHOVER UNA DEY MAD, WETIN HAPPEN WEN UNA BAN ME MAKE I NO FIT COMMENT, NA UNA MONEY I TAKE DEY SUBSCRIBE HOW I WISH SAY I NO COME GET ANOTHER ACCOUNT, SEE THUNDER FIRE THAT PERSON GENERATION WEN GO EVER WON BAN ME FOR THIS FORUM AGAIN, NA UR PAPA DEY PAY MY SUSCRIPTION ABI UNA DEY CRASE, SEE MAKE UNA TAKE UNA TIME BEFORE I USE MY VILLAGE JUJU SWARE FOR U, NA 24 HOURS THAT PERSON GO LAST, FINAL WARNING, NONSENCE

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by gysl1973: 12:08pm On Apr 16, 2013
@topic, We are still in the month of April, so this another foolish april fool news
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 16, 2013
Dream dream dream
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Morgan1092(m): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2013
I wish d wil consider d bill
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Audinowing(m): 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2013

The bill should be encouraged and implemented to ensure equality in the society. If our public officials are aware that they can not travel out for medical treatments, they will be forced to provide the health facilities which will be for the good of the country as whole.
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Venchy: 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2013
adexsimply: bad news..so many people will get killed angry angry

And so, who are the many people that will be killed,
Ordinary people or People in power? ??

After all, lots of nigerians have been killed by minor sickness because of inadequate Health care.

We are selling Oil everyday yet Nigerians are among the poorest country.

Let them feel what AKARA SELLER is going through as we all deserve equality, good thing is not meant for Politicians and their families.
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2013
Any Good bill won't see the light of the day, every bill that they have approved has never been in the interest of the masses. They will kill it before arrival
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 16, 2013
will the law apply to the first lady?
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by jidewin(m): 12:59pm On Apr 16, 2013
Hehehe grin Na who wan pass d bill? grin grin dey give my people hope shey grin grin grin grin
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by fingard02k(m): 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2013
gysl1973: WHO BAN ME, SEUN ABI WHOVER UNA DEY MAD, WETIN HAPPEN WEN UNA BAN ME MAKE I NO FIT COMMENT, NA UNA MONEY I TAKE DEY SUBSCRIBE HOW I WISH SAY I NO COME GET ANOTHER ACCOUNT, SEE THUNDER FIRE THAT PERSON GENERATION WEN GO EVER WON BAN ME FOR THIS FORUM AGAIN, NA UR PAPA DEY PAY MY SUSCRIPTION ABI UNA DEY CRASE, SEE MAKE UNA TAKE UNA TIME BEFORE I USE MY VILLAGE JUJU SWARE FOR U, NA 24 HOURS THAT PERSON GO LAST, FINAL WARNING, NONSENCE
Bros abeg take am easy o! But wait o does your village Juju have internet access? #JustWondering
Re: Bill To Stop Overseas Medical-Treatments For Officials Underway by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 16, 2013
Who presides over the Bill and the ensuing debates; same public office holders and legislooters ba? Think there's no call for this sham again. Even if it's approved our borders no get custom and they can always look for another term for the exorbitant oversea trips.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: 5 Most Developed Towns/Cities In The SW. / I Had A Very Successful UN Outing — Buhari / Ambode Inaugurates 12-member Economic Advisory Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.