Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? (1075 Views)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / The Second Coming: A Failed Prophecy??? / Whats So Bad About Celestial Church Of Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2013
Good day folks.

There is no need to be alarmed by the title of this thread. Many random thoughts have been running through my mind ever since I became skeptical about the biblical concept of God and this question just happens to be one of them.

I didn't just come up with this question for the sake of it but rather it came after I read some bible verses promising the return of Christ. I don't like boring people with long posts so I'll just go ahead and post them.

Matthew 24:34

I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened

If you read the preceding verses, you'll notice that Jesus was talking about the signs of the end of the world and his imminent return. Now, after giving his disciples all the signs, he says that they would still be alive when everything happens. The disciples are obviously dead so which other generation was Jesus referring to?

How is this possible?

Also when you read through the new testament from Acts to Jude, you'll also realise that early Christians were actually expecting Christ to come while they were yet alive but he never showed up.

Now in the light of these two verses in the bible, does anybody still believe that Christ Jesus will return?

* if you believe, can you kindly explain what Matthew 24:34 and Revelation 1:7 is talking about?
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by fuckluv(f): 1:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
And this was written by a man *inspiredbyGod* Well, read Daniel 12 vs 1-13(end) and u ll understand that it's still d same generation that we are.

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by PastorOluT(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2013
Is that so, be back to comment.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by JeSoul(f): 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2013
IBG,
its good to ask questions about ones faith. To a certain degree, skepticism is a healthy trait, it will keep you on your spiritual toes lest you be at ease in Zion.

Mat 24:34 is up there among the most difficult passages to explain so of course you would struggle with it. There are no short, easy answers. If you have some time, check out this link, very detailed and goes into several theories. Godbless.

Did Jesus Wrongly Predict a First Century Return in Matthew 24:34?
http://www.thingstocome.org/whatgen.htm
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:09pm On Apr 16, 2013
^^^ Thanks for the link. The article was quite long but it was enlightening as well.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:12pm On Apr 16, 2013
fuckluv: And this was written by a man *inspiredbyGod* Well, read Daniel 12 vs 1-13(end) and u ll understand that it's still d same generation that we are.
What has my username got to do with any of this? Anyways, thanks for the bible verse, I'll go through it.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by JeSoul(f): 9:14pm On Apr 16, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
^^^ Thanks for the link. The article was quite long but it was enlightening as well.
You welcomes. Often the best & most satisfying & enriching lessons must come from long, exhaustive research. Sometimes truth takes time.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by PastorOluT(m): 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2013
Pastor Olu T: Is that so, be back to comment.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2013
JeSoul: You welcomes. Often the best & most satisfying & enriching lessons must come from long, exhaustive research. Sometimes truth takes time.
That's quite true. Thanks once again for the link, it has truly helped to answer my question.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by victorNRceo: 9:16am On Apr 17, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
That's quite true. Thanks once again for the link, it has truly helped to answer my question.
How has it helped to answer ur question. I don't wanna go through it,u mind telling me in summary.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:45pm On Apr 17, 2013
victor-NR-ceo:

How has it helped to answer ur question. I don't wanna go through it,u mind telling me in summary.
It'll be better if you go through the link but in summary, the generation Jesus was referring to was a future generation.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
not the way you guys think it will happen.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Nobody: 12:06am On Apr 19, 2013
obadiah777 once said something about re-incarnation is that it?

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Yooguyz: 11:01am On Apr 19, 2013
@ IBG, yes there will be a second coming, the reason why his coming is delayed is because we (christians) are not doing enough to spread the gospel of Jesus
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by IbrahimB: 12:35pm On Apr 19, 2013
@IBG
It's clear this issue has confused Christian theologians and many have come up with their interpretations. The article posted by @JeSoul leans towards "this generation" to refer to Jesus' "offspring" - the author himself clearly doesn't hold a strong opinion on the matter - but there is no proof in the context of the verse to suggest that that was what he meant. The only obvious thing that can be deducted from the verse is that it was a case of an unfulfilled prophecy. You can't prove otherwise without going about some "gymnastics" really.

Jesus has used the word "generation" in other places in the NT as well - was he referring to his offspring there as well?

1) In Matthew 23:33-36, not very far from Matthew 24:34, he had again used the phrase "this generation" - "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?.... Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation." Was he referring to his "offspring" here as well? If not, why not?

2) Matthew 16:4, "A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah."

A second interpretation http://www.bible.ca/pre-mt24-this-generation.htm is that "this generation" refers to the generation of 30AD to 70AD, since a generation as they argue, is 40 years in the bible. They argue that the events being foretold are with regards the destruction of Jerusalem, but that doesn't hold water.

The question Jesus's disciples asked him was, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" Suffice to say, it is apparent from the context of Matthew 24 that Jesus wasn't referring to the destruction of Jerusalem but of the signs of his coming, which was the question his disciples had put to him.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by IbrahimB: 12:52pm On Apr 19, 2013
This unfulfilled prophecy shouldn't be an issue at all. It's only an issue because of the assumption of the Inerrancy and Omniscience of Jesus by Christians, however, the Bible shows otherwise. Just after the "this generation" verse Jesus said:

1) Matthew 24:36, "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." This verse clearly shows Jesus wasn't omniscience and didn't know when the Hour will be. If that is the case, what makes it surprising that events didn't unfold as he had foretold?

2) Another instance is the case of Jesus and the Fig tree, which further buttresses the fact that Jesus is not inerrant.

Honestly, I don't see why it should be difficult to accept that this is a case of clear unfulfilment of a prophecy. We may approach this problem from a Faith-first basis rather than by a Reason-first perspective and force the least-likeliest interpretations on the verse in order to support opinions that we hold by reason of our Faith. If that's what we want, that's fine I guess.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by greatgenius: 1:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
Believe everything hook and line in Matthew at your own peril..of the four gospel Matthew is the most distorted...it is was written 100 yrs after the death of jesus and as such has a lot false statements and misinterpretations of the teachings of jesus..

If you want a "more accurate "- compared to the others even with its distortions as well- version of the man's teachings, the book of Mark should be your choice- it was written much earlier.. 30 yrs after his death so the oral message of his teachings was much fresh in peoples mind and thus was least distorted- at least as compared to the rest ..
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by alfaman2: 2:22pm On Apr 22, 2013
Has he come already? On whom?
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by okeyxyz(m): 6:33pm On Apr 22, 2013
@OP,
The messages of Jesus is not given to people of a mindset of the law to understand but for people of a mindset of the spirit of liberty from the law. As long as you hold on to the law's definition of right and wrong, then you will continue to perceive christ's messages in that context of "shadows" and misinformation.

First know and accept that the law has been fulfilled and abolished by christ. Therefore know that you should not be judged by the law's version of right and wrong because this version is false. Only then can your mind be prepared to receive the parables, prophesies and understanding of christ's messages. Until then, you'll continue to chase shadows and falsehoods.
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 28, 2013
shol: obadiah777 once said something about re-incarnation is that it?

kinda, sorta, not really. cheesy grin

what i mean is in every generation we will have someone who will challenge the system and truly mean it so much so that they are willing to risk their own lives to get the "word" across. There have always been such martyrs..it's just religion only permit most of us to celebrate certain ones.

even today there is someone or persons who are "Jesus like" in their mentality and deeds but we would rather/most likely look at them as insane, than God-sent. tongue tongue
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 28, 2013
okeyxyz: @OP,
The messages of Jesus is not given to people of a mindset of the law to understand but for people of a mindset of the spirit of liberty from the law. As long as you hold on to the law's definition of right and wrong, then you will continue to perceive christ's messages in that context of "shadows" and misinformation.

First know and accept that the law has been fulfilled and abolished by christ. Therefore know that you should not be judged by the law's version of right and wrong because this version is false. Only then can your mind be prepared to receive the parables, prophesies and understanding of christ's messages. Until then, you'll continue to chase shadows and falsehoods.

[size=98pt]?[/size]
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 28, 2013
Atheists' frenzy in 3....2......1.......
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by 0keyxyz(m): 8:44pm On Apr 28, 2013
*Kails*:

[size=20pt]?[/size]

Sorry for my previous "monologue". Looking at it now, I seem not to come across with the right communication as I intended. But bottom line is we misinterpret because we look at Jesus's words literally and are therefore misled. but this is not "our" fault because jesus hid his messages(in parables, in symbols in the OT) on purpose until the appointed time for their revelation and fulfilment.

So jesus saying "some of you will be alive..." means that some people will preach and practice the true christinity(that is not according to the Law of Moses which kills but of the spirit of liberty which gives life) when god manifests again in human form. This defintely means that mainstream christianity is based on shadows and lies(The law of moses) and only a few people shall know the truth. These true christians will hope for physical eternal life, ie: no death, unlike mainstream christianity which hopes for death(they don't beleive in physical immortality).
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 28, 2013
0keyxyz:

Sorry for my previous "monologue". Looking at it now, I seem not to come across with the right communication as intended. But bottom line is we misinterpret because we look at Jesus's words literally and are therefore misled. but this is not "our" fault because jesus hid his messages(in parables, in symbols in the OT) on purpose until the appointed time for their revelation and fulfilment.

So jesus saying "some of you will be alive..." means that some people will preach and practice the true christinity(that is not according to the Law of Moses which kills but of the spirit of liberty which gives life) when god manifests again in human form. This defintely means that mainstream christianity is based on shadows and lies(The law of moses) and only a few people shall know the truth. These true christians will hope for physical eternal life, ie: no death, unlike mainstream christianity which hopes for death(they don't beleive in physical immortality).

Una can twist bible to fit una belief. No wonder we have so many denominations each with their own brand of the Holy Spirit that reveals the scriptures to them in a different way. This is a clear case of prophesy unfulfilled. Or one of the many errors in the bible. Accept it. Now u are saying Jesus was speaking in parables bla bla bla.
When Jesus spoke in parables, He explained the meaning of the parables so that people will understand. But this was not the case here. When Jesus said he will rise on the third day, he wasnt speaking in parables then either. So why should we assume this is a parable?
Re: Will There Ever Be A Second Coming Of Christ? by henrijin: 9:13pm On Apr 28, 2013
There is not going to be a second coming. He didn't promise or prophesize Himself coming back to this low-sunken earth. He said, And when the Spirit of Truth is come, He shall teach you all Truth and bring The Judgement.

I don't know what verse it is written and can't quote word for word but that's what He said.

I don't think there should be a confusion about whether He's coming back or not. It is clearly stated. Let us look at this ourselves and stop walking with crutches when we have healthy limbs.

(1) (Reply)

SACRILEGE: Worshiper Gives Used Condom As Offering In Church / Marriage-undefilement. / This New War Against The Catholicism. The Center Can No Longer Hold?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.