Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,504 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level (20021 Views)

Which Set Of University Students Study The Hardest (most) / Would You Study The Same Course Again? / Will You Study The Same Course As Your Sibling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by edgideon(m): 7:25am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko: My nephew who is 17 is just getting ready to go to university. He's chosen psychology as a major.
He says he really wants to be a journalist, but has no desire to be frustrated by JAMB trying to get into the Mass Communication program at UNILAG. He'd rather do something he feels is interesting, since he knows he can always do something else after his first degree if he wants.
He says human behaviour is fascinating, so he doesn't think he will be bored or fed up by his course of study. He has never once thought about whether he would make money or not after college.

Now when I heard all this, my first instinct was to assume he was just being lazy and making excuses. But then I thought about it. He has made a pragmatic decision at his age, and a sound one. He preferred to keep his options open and not put himself under pressure. I had no choice but to admire his decision.
u or ur nephew

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Joe5(m): 7:26am On Apr 17, 2013
Essentially, from the contributions so far we can now infer that wrong choice/study of majors at undergrad level informs on the factors bellow:
1. Inadequate or no career guide/counselling at high school.
2. Wrong parental interests.
3. Misconception of certain courses as trivial.
4. Faulty Educational system.
5. Absence of Industrial internship opportunities/programs.
6. Excessive monetary attachments to courses.
7. Very infinitesimal job opportunities.
8. Wrong/Failure/Absence of adequate or appropriate government education policy and implementation.
Suggested solutions are the opposites of the above. The ball is now in our court......do we have positive revolutionists here...what do we do ?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Deiok(m): 7:26am On Apr 17, 2013
yeah thats true.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 7:27am On Apr 17, 2013
toprealman:

You have a point to make but just can't find the right way of passing your message across. For all it represent, Dangote will never pass any aptitude test you bring to him regardless of the standard but the guy is on mega money. Testing anyone with 57 questions to be answered in 45mins to me is not just silly but unproductive.
I don't understand what you mean by overload. B.Eng+M.Sc+MBA + certification(s)is bang on! Can you explain yourself further if you don't mind.

The purpose of testing is not always to hand out a pass/fail grade.
In the early days of 6-3-3-4, JSS3 students had to take an aptitude test (not the Junior WAEC mind you), which was meant to determine where student's abilities and strengths were. Not to determine if they were smart or dumb. The plan at that time was to put children in the right senior secondary program (arts, science, or commercial classes), or even to determine who would go to a technical college.
Of course the results of the tests were never strictly followed, and people were basically pushed in whatever convenient direction there was.

And B.Eng + Msc + MBA + Certifications may mean very little without specialized experience. Why not insert some work experience in between those degrees and certifications? You may well find that some of them were not going to influence your future career in any significant way. What happens usually is, we load up on those certificates in anticipation of some big payday in Shell or Chevron, which usually never comes. We call it 'being competitive'.

In actual fact, most people in Shell or Chevron got in at entry level, and many don't even have a masters degree. Not that it is not good to study. But it takes time, money, as well as physical and emotional energy, so people need to think hard before they commit themselves to school and more school. Especially if the endgame is just making money.

People like Dangote and Branson focused on the endgame, which is why they're billionaires today wink

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 7:28am On Apr 17, 2013
edgideon: u or ur nephew

Me ke.
I'm done with school. Completed postgraduate education for around 13 years now.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by iLUMeN8(m): 7:37am On Apr 17, 2013
I've read through a few comments and a lot of 'em make absolute sense but I think the real reason behind this problem is the high level of admission craze in Nigeria. Every student wants to be in school cos the status of being an undergrad increases his/her 'rep' among their peers so most students are willing to accept any course of study to have that title.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by ochukoccna: 7:43am On Apr 17, 2013
@ op,most Nigerians discover themselves (if they do so on time) and plot a chart suited to their skill sets after their BSc
Your nephew is blessed that at 17,he has that chart
The majority however do not and thus overload themselves with qualifications ala many roads lead to the market man must wack/a big payday is coming mindset
The average Nigerian student is passably intelligent but at this critical point of choosing what to study at BSc level they have few to no input from counsellors, family or friends who can point out innate skills and abilities on time to them
Bottomline is our educational system is outdated and ineffective to 21st Century needs whilst the few schools that are very cutting edge are unaffordable to the vast majority of of the populace
Our parents (for the old school amongst us) didn't help matters with their insistence on their wards studying certain courses they considered smart money even when their wards were better suited for other disciplines
Throw in the mix of many who filled medicine on JAMB forms but were offered zoology,botany and other funny courses with different JAMB attempts
Also do not forget the prevailing mindset that connections not educations charts financial paths in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by viruz007(m): 7:48am On Apr 17, 2013
interesting topic by op. in my case I wanted comp sci but was adviced to read EEE as it is broader. looking down the road, I can't thank my Uncle enough. am a product of right counseling and a good school.

on the overload part, I over agree with the OP. Get experience first, then know how your career path will pan out b4 thinking of further degree. in Nigeria today, finish B.Sc and den run to do masters, u r making it difficult for you to get employment cuz by labour laws, u r meant to b paid as a masters holder but can't be paid that when your applying for a graduate trainee position.

sha God dey and d parents on this forum should know their kids strength then advice them from there not pushing dem down another road. *though my 1st son must play football for arsenal fc shikena :-)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Fussbot: 7:49am On Apr 17, 2013
Mummy tunde:haha!tobi,it's bin long I saw u o.u travelled ni?

Tobi:yes ma,I jst came bak 4rm school ni ma

Mun tunde:oh!u've gotten admission?tank God o..which uni?

Tobi:OAU ma

Mum tunde:wow!oau?congrats..eyin omo awolowo(u children of awolowo)

Nobody bodas about ur course dis time,u are sha in oau studying(reason why so many people go 4 any course given 2 dem)...few years lata

Mum tunde:uncle tobi and wat next naw?

Tobi:ha,job noni ma o..

Mum tunde:job,job,job,what course did u study sef?

Tobi:ha,FENCING AND BALANCING ni ma

Mum tunde:eh!which kind course be dat 1?wia can u work sef(reason y sm1 shldn't go 4 jst any course)

Bt op jst imagine, how wld I stay @ home for 4yrs and in d 5th year I was given fencing and balancing and I wn't go? even 2yrs sef?u go stil stay anoda 4 yrs b4 u get anoda 4 dis naija o..(And doing d course of ur dream is not by merit in Nigeria,even if u get d course cut-off mark,ur course isn't still guaranted)it's obviously d govnt's fault here in naija...hence,people say GOING 2 SCHOOL in naija is jst 2 know ur RIGHTS...

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 17, 2013
Hmm.A very good thread.this thread should possess more viewers than any other today(but I doubt that).right from secondary school.a child should be made to preconceive some notions so as to help them stay on track and make them choose a course that brings them closer to their goal.and one more thing is 'praying to God for Guidance'.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 7:51am On Apr 17, 2013
ochukoccna: @ op,most Nigerians discover themselves (if they do so on time) and plot a chart suited to their skill sets after their BSc
Your cousin is blessed that at 17,he has that chat
The majority however do not and thus overload themselves with qualifications ala many roads lead to the market man must wack mindset

My nephew, not my cousin. wink

In retrospect, I don't think he has any chart; he just did what he felt was expedient at this time, and he made a choice he felt he could handle.
Life is not really about always having a plan, bro. I know this may sound hard, especially for us in Naija. But the Big Hairy Audacious Goal of your life does not have to be beating poverty. I believe most of us will beat poverty in our lifetime, if we work hard and make good use of opportunities that come our way. Which is the key dynamic: sometimes your well-laid plans prevent you from seeing obvious opportunities.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by 32D: 7:54am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko: Wrong as in what they are not suited for, both mentally and psychologically. They now spend the rest of their youth trying to correct this mistake, and usually end up adding to it.

There is also the 'overload' factor. Take for example someone who studied Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, and MBA as a follow-up. Usually people do this to 'enhance their job prospects'. I wonder if it really does. I know someone who did that, still did ICAN and some computer certifications into the bargain. I'm not sure what good so many diverse qualifications can do to anyone.

Either peer pressure, zero counselling available, family pressure, or desperation to get into school might be responsible for all of this.
another factor responsible is the lack of jobs, nobody wants to finish school and discover there are no more jobs in the sector to which he/she has streamlined him/herself. its just a case of trying to keep ur options as wide as possible to secure relevance after school. Its not particularly the best thing to do but then we cant blame people. its d high level of certainty in the system
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Ezekwesiri04(m): 7:55am On Apr 17, 2013
Nigerian system have made education not to be attractive,eduction or no eduction , the aim is to leave a good confortable life!, i spent 5 yrs in the university and plus 1 yr NYSC, got a job in a firm that is owned by my sec school who enterd business after we finished secondary school, now am still trying to start up life while he is already married with 3 children and leave in his own house. So tell me who haves a success story to tell
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by respectment(m): 7:56am On Apr 17, 2013
This actually happened to me, I finished Secondary school at 16 , wrote my first Jamb and was denied admission into the university to study Pharmacy, so the next year I choose industrial Mathematics and luckily I got admitted , when I got to 300 level and it time for Industrial attachment (SIWES) it was very difficult for me to get a job so when I finally got one, I decide within myself that this won't happen to me when I graduate from school , with the little money I saved during my I.T , I setup a business, I went to cotonu and buy shoes and get down to my campus and sell them, just that way I started making it , right now I have a registered trading company and we are into importation of goods from different countries,

Never despise the days of little beginning.

Entrepreneurship is the way out of Poverty.

Degree is just a paper. I managed to graduate with 2nd Class upper division.

Thank you. I wish everybody the Best.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 17, 2013
The biggest factor responsible for this is JAMB and the admission process. I stayed 2 years at home trying to get medicine and surgery. 320 and 307 in Jamb for those 2 years with the second being when they introduced UTME. Scored 72/100 in the UTME and still nothing for me. Meanwhile others who had even lesser scores were admitted. Some of them came to my house for tutorials!
Anyways, fastforward 4 years later and I have a B.SC in Environmental science which my second choice uni gave me. A course with absolutely zero career path in Nigeria except you want to go into the Academia. Of course, we were told of all the wonderful places you can work like shell and the likes but for where nah?
Where I work now has absolutely no bearing on my degree and thankfully, I have other skills of making money . So I stopped regretting a long time ago.
However, my younger ones will not make the same mistake I made. Things like water welding and the likes do not take 4years to study abroad and those guys get paid outrageous sums.
No more studying anything that isn't Nursing,Medicine or Med lab in my house.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by ochukoccna: 8:05am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

My nephew, not my cousin. wink

In retrospect, I don't think he has any chart; he just did what he felt was expedient at this time, and he made a choice he felt he could handle.
Life is not really about always having a plan, bro. I know this may sound hard, especially for us in Naija. But the Big Hairy Audacious Goal of your life does not have to be beating poverty. I believe most of us will beat poverty in our lifetime, if we work hard and make good use of opportunities that come our way. Which is the key dynamic: sometimes your well-laid plans prevent you from seeing obvious opportunities.

My bad AJ
I corrected it only to see your new post
By chart,I meant self discovery and innate skills
You nephew must have had good education and input from good consellors
Yes I know and agree life is not all about a plan seeing even the best of plans fall through
But for MOST NIGERIANS the BIG HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOAL of our lives is beating poverty and getting paid big time
That's why this penterascal so called pastors keep creaming many of their scarce resources with their human words of crafty wisdom void of God's core which those who give seek
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by wendieposh: 8:05am On Apr 17, 2013
Growing up,I wanted to be many things...my dad helped me make up my mind to become a medical doctor but for my mum,I would have made the biggest mistake of my life. She was a counselor then,she studied my result and knowing my kind of person,helped my choice in the course to study. I studied Sociology in sch and believe me,I have no regrets. Most pple don't have someone to guide them that's y they study any course so far it takes them out of the house. This is wrong,we have to know our abilities then work to make it better.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by biolabee(m): 8:16am On Apr 17, 2013
Egba girl:

I def agree that it's not just Nigerian students. I think it's the industry that sometimes determines what people study.

@topic, I initially wanted to study Econ because I did it for my A levels and I liked it a lot and so I came to college telling myself that I was going to be an Econ major. I took another Econ class and that was the end of it. I swore that I was done with Economics and I never took another Econ class again (although tbh, I think a lot of it had to do with the professors and the way they taught the classes). Anyway, I chose Conflict Studies/ Peace and Conflict Resolution and French as my majors and when I told my dad, he was upset! For about a year, he could not come to terms with the fact that I had chosen Conflict Studies. What was that anyway? Well unless I was going to follow it up with a masters or phd in Intl Relations or any degree of that nature but I really wanted to go into social work and what I kept on hearing and I still hear it today is that there is no money there. and that is the reality of it!

My friends are either in biochem or other sciences,econ and accounting and of late, I have been wondering if sticking to the Econ would have been a better option or forcing myself to do Bio or Biochem because of job prospects. I have friends writing certification exams like CFA and the IT ones too because they know that with these certifications, your chances of getting a job w a decent salary are higher.

Bottomline is that people study the "wrong" majors because that's about the safest way to ensure that you get a good job with a good salary.

True
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Mightyify(m): 8:17am On Apr 17, 2013
Forget interest! Once a course makes money for you, you will like it.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by MadCow1: 8:17am On Apr 17, 2013
okeyxyz: The presentation of the OP is misleading, making it seem like it's the nigerian students fault that they make the wrong choices in training and education. How about the people(government) whom it is their duty to provide, support and maintain the appropriate systems to enable students access the right work and academic experiences to better inform their choices.

And please before you roll out that mantra "government can't do everything for you...", First ask: what has government done in the first place that we the private citizens should build upon.

So its the governments fault that a Science inclined kid ends up reading an Arts course and vice-versa abi?! So its the Governments fault that a parent failed to counsel their wards properly abi?! Na wah o!?

What would you not blame on the government?! I'm sure you would also blame the government for making you blame them..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 17, 2013
I think am also a victim of this.I finished secondary school @ the age 15.I was sooo naïve I still tought the only courses to study were nedicine,law and accounting.the heck,I was sooo good in technical drawing.I was d only student that sat for TD durin WAEC in the whole school.but I never knew dere was a course called architecture. After secondary school,my dad pushed me into studying chemistry,which is what he studied.to add pepper to my wound ,I got into university the same year I finished secondary school.so,dere was no time for exposure @ alll.today am a chemistry graduate and I av NO prospects to work with it.because I don't like it.I'm not passionate about it.and today,I still regret not doin architecture.I've directed my energy into handwork though.I make wireworks now and I sew. So,who do I blame,myself?the government,my father,the educational system?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Policewoman(f): 8:21am On Apr 17, 2013
I've not seen such an educative thread in NL for a while. I'm so enjoying the discussions. Keep it up people. I think the problem is the Nigerian factor. The education system and the university admission process has killed many bright minds and talents. Added to that is the high unemployment rate which makes studying a course u have passion for, an utopian venture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by NOIBMUUL(m): 8:22am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko: I think, generally speaking about Nigerians, that young people in college, as well as those trying to get into college, more often choose the wrong disciplines to major in.

Wrong as in what they are not suited for, both mentally and psychologically. They now spend the rest of their youth trying to correct this mistake, and usually end up adding to it.

There is also the 'overload' factor. Take for example someone who studied Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, and MBA as a follow-up. Usually people do this to 'enhance their job prospects'. I wonder if it really does. I know someone who did that, still did ICAN and some computer certifications into the bargain. I'm not sure what good so many diverse qualifications can do to anyone.

Either peer pressure, zero counselling available, family pressure, or desperation to get into school might be responsible for all of this. I think aptitude (not IQ, but a mix of IQ and EQ) tests should be administered on students who are wrapping up secondary school. Maybe that way the students can be shown some things about themselves which they would never have known, and might help them with their decisions.

Being guardians, I think parents play a key role here. Parent ought to identify the talents of their wards early in life and guide them appropriately. Fortunately, most kids begin to show their talents/gifts as early as 2years!

Unfortunately, parents push their kids to study medicine, engineering, law etc. Most students usually fill their UME form with either of these courses and end up in another place because of the eventual UME scores. At the end of the day, they are often misguided and waste years studying irrelevant courses.

God help us.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 8:27am On Apr 17, 2013
Egba girl:

I def agree that it's not just Nigerian students. I think it's the industry that sometimes determines what people study.

@topic, I initially wanted to study Econ because I did it for my A levels and I liked it a lot and so I came to college telling myself that I was going to be an Econ major. I took another Econ class and that was the end of it. I swore that I was done with Economics and I never took another Econ class again (although tbh, I think a lot of it had to do with the professors and the way they taught the classes). Anyway, I chose Conflict Studies/ Peace and Conflict Resolution and French as my majors and when I told my dad, he was upset! For about a year, he could not come to terms with the fact that I had chosen Conflict Studies. What was that anyway? Well unless I was going to follow it up with a masters or phd in Intl Relations or any degree of that nature but I really wanted to go into social work and what I kept on hearing and I still hear it today is that there is no money there. and that is the reality of it!

My friends are either in biochem or other sciences,econ and accounting and of late, I have been wondering if sticking to the Econ would have been a better option or forcing myself to do Bio or Biochem because of job prospects. I have friends writing certification exams like CFA and the IT ones too because they know that with these certifications, your chances of getting a job w a decent salary are higher.

Bottomline is that people study the "wrong" majors because that's about the safest way to ensure that you get a good job with a good salary.

I missed this post earlier. I presume you're still in school?
I am not sure forcing yourself to do Biochemistry is even an option, considering you couldn't cope with Economics. cheesy
Just kidding tho.

I would say don't count yourself out yet. If your goal is to make money, who says you can't do something as out-there as fashion design or events planning? You can take some courses in the area that interests you. Someone like Tara Durotoye is making millions from makeup!

If your goal, as you said, is to go into social work, then money should not even be in the picture (though of course you will get paid for your work, just not investment-bank kind of money).

Whichever it is, don't worry too much. If you had the strong desire and drive (and discipline) to study economics or maybe biochem, you probably would have stayed with it. I know some people who were in my class in uni, and were failing horribly in engineering, but refused to drop out due to pride and societal pressure. Many of them ended up with extra years and barely passing grades. Eventually they had to seek other ways to make a living/alternative career path. The degrees they ended up with after many torrid years rendered them basically unemployable.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 17, 2013
mZ sleeq: I think am also a victim of this.I finished secondary school @ the age 15.I was sooo naïve I still tought the only courses to study were nedicine,law and accounting.the heck,I was sooo good in technical drawing.I was d only student that sat for TD durin WAEC in the whole school.but I never knew dere was a course called architecture. After secondary school,my dad pushed me into studying chemistry,which is what he studied.to add pepper to my wound ,I got into university the same year I finished secondary school.so,dere was no time for exposure @ alll.today am a chemistry graduate and I av NO prospects to work with it.because I don't like it.I'm not passionate about it.and today,I still regret not doin architecture.I've directed my energy into handwork though.I make wireworks now and I sew. So,who do I blame,myself?the government,my father,the educational system?
JEHOVAH........my gawd......this one is to extremely much....Haba ur popman no try at all.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by MadCow1: 8:31am On Apr 17, 2013
mZ sleeq: I think am also a victim of this.I finished secondary school @ the age 15.I was sooo naïve I still tought the only courses to study were nedicine,law and accounting.the heck,I was sooo good in technical drawing.I was d only student that sat for TD durin WAEC in the whole school.but I never knew dere was a course called architecture. After secondary school,my dad pushed me into studying chemistry,which is what he studied.to add pepper to my wound ,I got into university the same year I finished secondary school.so,dere was no time for exposure @ alll.today am a chemistry graduate and I av NO prospects to work with it.because I don't like it.I'm not passionate about it.and today,I still regret not doin architecture.I've directed my energy into handwork though.I make wireworks now and I sew. So,who do I blame,myself?the government,my father,the educational system?

[b]Hehehee

Funny Story! I also experience same. I hated Biology so much that the Teacher knew this and started picking on me. One day, I up and left his class and told him to shove his course up where the Sun dont shine. The Guidance counsellor then made me an offer, either do Biology, or a combination of Technical Drawing and Health Science. I opted for both.. It was like I was made for Technical Drawing and TD was made for me. There was nothing I saw in that subject that shook me or that I didnt understand like ABC. We were only 8 of us that sat for that course in WAEC in the whole school. NOW! I knew about architecture, but I thought that all architects only drew building plans for residential houses, and I didnt like that one bit. I had no idea that architechture covered way more than that. So I opted for Petroleum engineering.. Might as well follow the Oil money train. Today, I'm a Geological Engineer, a course I had no idea what it was all about and had no interest in until my 3rd year 2nd semester (at which point, my grades had taken quite the beating and was hanging on my a thread).. Luckily, I was able to pull a come back that saved me from graduating with a toilet paper degree. [/b]
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Ezeufi: 8:35am On Apr 17, 2013
This school/university system is not a natural progression of the evolution of our traditional education. It is the progression of oyinbo traditional education.
That is why we shall never get it right and will never solve our problems.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Itoroetti(m): 8:36am On Apr 17, 2013
okeyxyz: The presentation of the OP is misleading, making it seem like it's the nigerian students fault that they make the wrong choices in training and education. How about the people(government) whom it is their duty to provide, support and maintain the appropriate systems to enable students access the right work and academic experiences to better inform their choices.

And please before you roll out that mantra "government can't do everything for you...", First ask: what has government done in the first place that we the private citizens should build upon.
U expect the government to choice ur field of discipline for u?next,u will ask the government to decide what u will eat.what are the duties of parent at home?is it just to keep producing children or to serve both as mentors and supervisors of their kids?
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Oludrex(m): 8:36am On Apr 17, 2013
mmmustapha: That's what was pained me, I wanted 2 read pol but I was given history. Hav no option than to accept it or lose d admission
Don't blame that on anybody.. Why didn't u score 300+ in your jamb? Or is it impossible??
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Oludrex(m): 8:38am On Apr 17, 2013
mmmustapha: That's what was pained me, I wanted 2 read pol but I was given history. Hav no option than to accept it or lose d admission
Young fellow,Don't try to make us feel sorry for U.. Why didn't u score 300+ in your jamb? Or is it impossible??
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 17, 2013
Lets travel to India and learn from an Over-porpulated Country,where every Student is studying Medicine,every body want to be A doctor or A nurse,And i then Ask ,is it not working out for them.Let the President get sick tommorow ,u will hear he has been taken to India or so..Then i ask ,Do Nigerians dont have a talent to be developed by our Schools and institutions,we are here looking to the white men to teach us absolutely everything,how to sing,how to dance,how to dress,Clothes to where,how to pray religion.We behave as if we are noobs in this 21st century.But let me Admit we are not Noobs, for every heart has a desire,but those that are meant to make available resources to see this desire not to Grow Cold are busy Looting money and keeping it for thier unseen generation then Leaving the t people to take what they see.I know very well that what am going to study nown is not what my talent is but the truth is I have waited for years for the Various institution to thier Job so that i can study what i want but it turn out to be a Neglected desire..So i am into what i think can work at this very Moment...................Let Corruption Be Dealt With And The Right Thing will Be Done.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Itoroetti(m): 8:40am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

First off, I never said it was the fault of the students.
In the first place, they're usually too young to know better. They either get pushed, or they just follow the crowd.
My post is made out of compassion, not criticism.

And as per government . . ., well, I think we should start from the first level of 'government' the kids know - their parents. It is at this point that the problem starts from, when the parent cannot advise their child but is rather pinning their own aspirations on the child. What's the use of pressuring children to study majors they are not suited for, or to even go to college in the first place? Maybe all the child needs to do is learn a craft or a trade sef.

Don't mind him.u go to school,see some children that are very unserious and highly insultive,u ask urself do this ones have parent at all.later they will join cultism to enhance their insultive spirit,later,same children and parent will blame government for what becomes their fate.if I may ask,if a child succeeds both academically and marally,is it the government or the parent that are been praised?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ABU Students Return N2.5m To Owner (Photos) / IPPIS: ASUU Says Buhari Is Becoming Dictatorial / 2024 UTME: Tsavkegh Ishughun Scored 356 In JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.