Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level (19998 Views)

Which Set Of University Students Study The Hardest (most) / Would You Study The Same Course Again? / Will You Study The Same Course As Your Sibling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 6:49pm On Apr 16, 2013
I think, generally speaking about Nigerians, that young people in college, as well as those trying to get into college, more often choose the wrong disciplines to major in.

Wrong as in what they are not suited for, both mentally and psychologically. They now spend the rest of their youth trying to correct this mistake, and usually end up adding to it.

There is also the 'overload' factor. Take for example someone who studied Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, and MBA as a follow-up. Usually people do this to 'enhance their job prospects'. I wonder if it really does. I know someone who did that, still did ICAN and some computer certifications into the bargain. I'm not sure what good so many diverse qualifications can do to anyone.

Either peer pressure, zero counselling available, family pressure, or desperation to get into school might be responsible for all of this. I think aptitude (not IQ, but a mix of IQ and EQ) tests should be administered on students who are wrapping up secondary school. Maybe that way the students can be shown some things about themselves which they would never have known, and might help them with their decisions.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by biolabee(m): 9:04pm On Apr 16, 2013
i dont think this is limited only to students in nigeria

its just more acute here as a result of fewer graduate jobs
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by yamakuza: 10:21pm On Apr 16, 2013
AjanleKoko: I think, generally speaking about Nigerians, that young people in college, as well as those trying to get into college, more often choose the wrong disciplines to major in.

i think a great(er) percentage do not even get to choose.

they just settle for whatever comes their way, due to JAMB/admission problems.

Wrong as in what they are not suited for, both mentally and psychologically. They now spend the rest of their youth trying to correct this mistake, and usually end up adding to it.

There is also the 'overload' factor. Take for example someone who studied Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, and MBA as a follow-up. Usually people do this to 'enhance their job prospects'. I wonder if it really does. I know someone who did that, still did ICAN and some computer certifications into the bargain. I'm not sure what good so many diverse qualifications can do to anyone.

one oga once told me that at the BSc level, we usually have no idea what we want to do with our lives.

Our MSc/further study choices however, should reflect the direction we want our lives to go.

Either peer pressure, zero counselling available, family pressure, or desperation to get into school might be responsible for all of this. I think aptitude (not IQ, but a mix of IQ and EQ) tests should be administered on students who are wrapping up secondary school. Maybe that way the students can be shown some things about themselves which they would never have known, and might help them with their decisions.

very good ideas, but what happens when there arent enough spaces to accommodate the apt ones?

they stay waiting year in year out till they can get admitted for the programs they are best suited for?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by okeyxyz(m): 10:31pm On Apr 16, 2013
The presentation of the OP is misleading, making it seem like it's the nigerian students fault that they make the wrong choices in training and education. How about the people(government) whom it is their duty to provide, support and maintain the appropriate systems to enable students access the right work and academic experiences to better inform their choices.

And please before you roll out that mantra "government can't do everything for you...", First ask: what has government done in the first place that we the private citizens should build upon.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Idacrux: 11:39pm On Apr 16, 2013
@op Is that all,u have to say d pros & cons of it.The goverment has failed us all in dis country.so,don't blame d student.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 12:26am On Apr 17, 2013
okeyxyz: The presentation of the OP is misleading, making it seem like it's the nigerian students fault that they make the wrong choices in training and education. How about the people(government) whom it is their duty to provide, support and maintain the appropriate systems to enable students access the right work and academic experiences to better inform their choices.

And please before you roll out that mantra "government can't do everything for you...", First ask: what has government done in the first place that we the private citizens should build upon.

First off, I never said it was the fault of the students.
In the first place, they're usually too young to know better. They either get pushed, or they just follow the crowd.
My post is made out of compassion, not criticism.

And as per government . . ., well, I think we should start from the first level of 'government' the kids know - their parents. It is at this point that the problem starts from, when the parent cannot advise their child but is rather pinning their own aspirations on the child. What's the use of pressuring children to study majors they are not suited for, or to even go to college in the first place? Maybe all the child needs to do is learn a craft or a trade sef.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Yvete(f): 5:58am On Apr 17, 2013
IMO, MBA without relevant work experience is a hassle! I don't think people knowingly make wrong decisions. Some people need a more time to figure out what professional/career path to take.

I completed Sec. School at 16, then I had a passion for foreign service. Towards the end of my bachelor's, I realized that I may not realize my full potential at the United Nations (besides, the difficulty in snagging a job there). Graduated, took a few years off to re-evaluate my goals then a masters in a different field. It depends.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by ZN2: 6:04am On Apr 17, 2013
yamakuza:

one oga once told me that at the BSc level, we usually have no idea what we want to do with our lives.

Our MSc/further study choices however, should reflect the direction we want our lives to go.

Really, I wonder why your "oga" would say that. So you just jump into the Uni and study sociology then realize that you'd like to do an MSc Engineering, is that it?

Most of these students are supposed to plan their careers from High School days - too bad Career Guide counselors are not available in many institutions.

The trend I tend to see in Nigeria is rushing into the University with whatever course takes them in - it's almost as if emphasis is placed on "getting in" rather than following your passions/interests.

Heck, I wonder if some of these folks even do any research on Employability Prospects before jumping on a course.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 6:11am On Apr 17, 2013
So true judging from a few Nigerians I've met here in the US who majored in some HD courses and still end up working on Texas or Californian minimum wage. Confussion is what I call it.

Btw y'all have some courses or majors whichever one y'all call it over there that sound stuppidd as Bleep.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Oludrex(m): 6:13am On Apr 17, 2013
What difference does it even make.. When u will see a B. Sc Mech Engineerin holder working as a Cashier in a bank. A B Sc Botany guy workin as a Secretary in a law firm.
Either you study right or wrong major------> Where is the job ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 17, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by talk2D: 6:15am On Apr 17, 2013
They will say, not what you read that is important but u having a degree cert is what count.
I wonder, how many graduate have no job because they failed interview.
Though a hen does not know the fate of its egg doesn't mean that it has to throw it away. Ppl are just afraid of the future and forget abt the present.

But how can i start thinking abt what i don't know. College student are not well educated abt reality. Even the lecturers are facing it but hiding behind their certificate, just to get money to chow.

'Interest' is what counts.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Egbagirl(f): 6:17am On Apr 17, 2013
biolabee: i dont think this is limited only to students in nigeria

its just more acute here as a result of fewer graduate jobs

I def agree that it's not just Nigerian students. I think it's the industry that sometimes determines what people study.

@topic, I initially wanted to study Econ because I did it for my A levels and I liked it a lot and so I came to college telling myself that I was going to be an Econ major. I took another Econ class and that was the end of it. I swore that I was done with Economics and I never took another Econ class again (although tbh, I think a lot of it had to do with the professors and the way they taught the classes). Anyway, I chose Conflict Studies/ Peace and Conflict Resolution and French as my majors and when I told my dad, he was upset! For about a year, he could not come to terms with the fact that I had chosen Conflict Studies. What was that anyway? Well unless I was going to follow it up with a masters or phd in Intl Relations or any degree of that nature but I really wanted to go into social work and what I kept on hearing and I still hear it today is that there is no money there. and that is the reality of it!

My friends are either in biochem or other sciences,econ and accounting and of late, I have been wondering if sticking to the Econ would have been a better option or forcing myself to do Bio or Biochem because of job prospects. I have friends writing certification exams like CFA and the IT ones too because they know that with these certifications, your chances of getting a job w a decent salary are higher.

Bottomline is that people study the "wrong" majors because that's about the safest way to ensure that you get a good job with a good salary.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by RecruitmentMgr: 6:21am On Apr 17, 2013
As a recruiter, I have seen a lot of candidates who are "victims" of wrong (and oftentimes compelled) choices at undergraduate level.
The problem is caused by: our faulty educational system; our prejudiced value system (the society is quick to attach prestige to certain disciplines); parental and peer pressure; JAMB frustration and so on.
I believe Nigerian students are very smart and if given the right conditions they'll make right choices.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Egbagirl(f): 6:24am On Apr 17, 2013
ooseven: Very few people knew what they wanted to become when they were college students. They had dreams but rarely a clear cut road map.

Having said that, what is missing in Nigeria is an "internship" culture whereby, right from senior secondary level, student can take out time during holidays to work at different companies for 1-3months.

A culture such as this gives students real world skills and knowledge early on of what they really enjoy doing and what they hate, building their CV along the way.

...but who am I kidding...where are the enterprises to absorb them.

Government.::: over to you.

It's not as easy as it sounds. Many people cannot afford to do what they enjoy doing because what they enjoy might not always bring them money. The society is not conducive enough to let people do what they enjoy. When our basic needs arent even met? Basic social amenities aren't there and I am supposed to do what I enjoy? If that barely puts food on my table? I don't think so. If I social security, access to proper health care, constant electricity supply + water,and reasonable fuel price, then maybe I can afford to do what I enjoy because even if it does not generate a huge income I can always fall back on some of the services provided by the government.
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Sezua(m): 6:34am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko: I think, generally speaking about Nigerians, that young people in college, as well as those trying to get into college, more often choose the wrong disciplines to major in.

i knw one ajanlekoko...he is ma frnd!
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by rozayx5(m): 6:35am On Apr 17, 2013
some people just allow their parents or siblings to influence their course, and they suffer the consequences later, i was very good in Arts in My Secondary School, but i got confused into studying science and getting a Science cert. i later saw the problem when i got admission grin

but on my own side , i had to leave the course , and focus on my talents and i have no regrets better late than never

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by GentleNaaz(m): 6:45am On Apr 17, 2013
Imaging d hope of people studyn History n international relation, Animal husbandry, french n veterinary medicine in Nigeria wr no one takes hs dog for tretmnt

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by MrUzo: 6:51am On Apr 17, 2013
Idacrux: @op Is that all,u have to say d pros & cons of it.The goverment has failed us all in dis country.so,don't blame d student.

G.B.U -God bless you

Meanwhile hv go a puppy for sale. M travelling. Check my signature.

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Kairoseki77: 6:51am On Apr 17, 2013
[size=20pt]JUST SAY NO TO COLLEGE!!!!!

CHINA DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THAT MANY COLLEGES! THEY TRAIN THEIR CHILDREN TO BE SKILLED TECHNICIANS!

LEARN A TRADE, F*** GETTING GOOD GRADES!

PERSON A: STUDIED FOR FOUR YEARS...CAN'T FIND A JOB.
PERSON B: STUDIED FOR ONE YEAR...MAKES MORE THAN YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY!
[/size]

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by ZN2: 6:54am On Apr 17, 2013
^^ Will you stop typing in large fonts?!

How Lame. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by AjanleKoko: 6:56am On Apr 17, 2013
My nephew who is 17 is just getting ready to go to university. He's chosen psychology as a major.
He says he really wants to be a journalist, but has no desire to be frustrated by JAMB trying to get into the Mass Communication program at UNILAG. He'd rather do something he feels is interesting, since he knows he can always do something else after his first degree if he wants.
He says human behaviour is fascinating, so he doesn't think he will be bored or fed up by his course of study. He has never once thought about whether he would make money or not after college.

Now when I heard all this, my first instinct was to assume he was just being lazy and making excuses. But then I thought about it. He has made a pragmatic decision at his age, and a sound one. He preferred to keep his options open and not put himself under pressure. I had no choice but to admire his decision.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Egbagirl(f): 6:57am On Apr 17, 2013
Michaeljones36: [size=20pt]JUST SAY NO TO COLLEGE!!!!!

CHINA DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THAT MANY COLLEGES! THEY TRAIN THEIR CHILDREN TO BE SKILLED TECHNICIANS!

LEARN A TRADE, F*** GETTING GOOD GRADES!

PERSON A: STUDIED FOR FOUR YEARS...CAN'T FIND A JOB.
PERSON B: STUDIED FOR ONE YEAR...MAKES MORE THAN YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY!
[/size]

Erm... maybe that's why they send all their kids to other countries. You don see how many chinese people dey universities abroad?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by Nobody: 6:59am On Apr 17, 2013
okeyxyz: The presentation of the OP is misleading, making it seem like it's the nigerian students fault that they make the wrong choices in training and education. How about the people(government) whom it is their duty to provide, support and maintain the appropriate systems to enable students access the right work and academic experiences to better inform their choices.

HEHEHEHEHE! TRUE BRUV
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by jonath0012(m): 7:12am On Apr 17, 2013
I will blame it on our educational system and government. Imagine when a person has passion to study a particular discipline, but because it has little/no job prospect he chooses another one over it. This is the fault of the government; if government has put basic amenities in place, even if you do not study a lucrative course, you still live a comfortable life. Another culprits are our higher institutions. I remember before I got admission to the university I knew within me I wanted to become an electrical engineer and also have passion for teaching; so, I put in for engineering as first choice and physics, as second choice cause I love Physics. At the end of the admission process, I was offered Education/ physics, even after fulfilling all riteousness. They almost killed my morale with that course. But, since i had spent 4 years at home already I had to accept it though reluctantly. What pained me more was that of the candidates who were offered electrical engineering only about 50% made it to the second year, which means they did not have aptiude for the course before they were admitted, while those who were really qualified were denied.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by toprealman: 7:15am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko: I

You have a point to make but just can't find the right way of passing your message across. For all it represent, Dangote will never pass any aptitude test you bring to him regardless of the standard but the guy is on mega money. Testing anyone with 57 questions to be answered in 45mins to me is not just silly but unproductive.
I don't understand what you mean by overload. B.Eng+M.Sc+MBA + certification(s)is bang on! Can you explain yourself further if you don't mind.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by trolling(m): 7:21am On Apr 17, 2013
Omo forget story it's about making money irregardless of what you studied con see as Naija men dey do nursing for here and making good money, you go teh for house seeking a career in your passion for Naija
Re: Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level by mmmustapha(m): 7:25am On Apr 17, 2013
That's what was pained me, I wanted 2 read pol but I was given history. Hav no option than to accept it or lose d admission

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NDU Suspends Uniform For Undergraduates, Bans Indecent Dressing / Share Your Secondary School Experience With Bullies / Rebecca Chinyelu-Chukwuanukwu (UNIZIK) Wins Unesco Prize In Geneva

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.