Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,776 members, 7,862,577 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:54 PM

Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years (11032 Views)

Ben Brice Reacts To #8.4billion Naira Wardrobe Allowance / Nigeria Inflation Drops To 8 Percent / Anambra Poverty Rate Lowest In Nigeria - NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Mavor: 8:04pm On Apr 18, 2013
The economy seems to be doing well, but why is it not reflected in the welfare and life of the masses? Nigeria is a paradox I swear!!!
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by billante(m): 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
If those dat are saying dat no job is being created knows d amount of new industries dat are spring up they will just shut up!

Wempco dat GEJ commission today is employing 5000 people and tens of these industries are everyday being established by private sector, motivated by good govt policies and backing

There are lots of jobs being created everyday as I typee but the unemployment percentage is so big that it seems like no new jobs are being created....but if real check is done it will baffel u dat thousands got employed just for today!
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
chess guru:
This is where your argument should have been directed in the 1st place.
I honestly can't vouch for this figures, but saying dat the figures are false based solely on the rise in price of commodities is wrong, and that was my issue with you.
The spending power is the real issue and not the rise in price, and this I believe is the real challenge any govt in nigeria will face.

The reality is this, the purchasing power of the citizen is severely impacted by the prices of the good and services. If prices of goods and services keep rising, you would have less money to spend except on basic necessities. So cannot separate one from the other.

VOODOO economics is what is practiced in Nigeria unfortunately...
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by juman(m): 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
CyberG: How about the unemployment rate? Retardeen goodluck and his minions keep pulling statistics from out of their asses! Stinking fresh air!

1800bc: I hear o! Will salary increase or goods get cheaper? How does the common man benefit from these figures?
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by porka: 8:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

Does the bold not confirm the stupidity of some of you? If during Obasanjo's time cement was sold at N1900 and reforms where brought in to allow Dangote to produce cements bags in Nigeria at huge discount by the government at couple of years down the line you are still buying cement for N1650, does that not tell you the current government is a failure?

Some of you really need to use your brains rightly lipsrsealed

What's value of the discount?
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by miqos02(m): 8:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
samilo88: A typical Nigerian trader won't be quick to adjust his or her selling price to reflect the initial price in which the goods were once sold, even when he or she buys that same commodity at a much more lesser price now.
Not when you many traders selling the same commodity
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 8:11pm On Apr 18, 2013
billante: If those dat are saying dat no job is being created knows d amount of new industries dat are spring up they will just shut up!

Wempco dat GEJ commission today is employing 5000 people and tens of these industries are everyday being established by private sector, motivated by good govt policies and backing

There are lots of jobs being created everyday as I typee but the unemployment percentage is so big that it seems like no new jobs are being created....but if real check is done it will baffel u dat thousands got employed just for today!
You talk like a child slow in learn and lacking in understanding. Need I remind you of the report of thousands of Nigerians that applied for the few hundreds of government job vacancy recently

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Burger01(m): 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
seanet01: Arranit Nonsense.
When a 50KG of Rice just jumped from N8500 to N12,000 and a Kongo of Garri now N200 all the way from N120.
Keep deceiving people

This is the handiwork of marketers and some Nigerians who would prefer to cash in on the gain of inflation drop as against the average Nigerians enjoying and benefiting from the progress of the country economically. Some Nigerian marketers and business people are just thieves and saboteurs in the making. Unless their is a regulatory body in place to check such sharp economy practises amongst Nigerian markers Nigerians would never feel the impact of inflation drop. No wonder people keep saying prices of goods, services and commodities would never come down in Naija. A sachet of 'pure water' was once sold at 10 naira and now some sell for 5naira and most bad eggs sell for 10 naira. Now, who is to be blamed?

sad
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Prince0500(m): 8:13pm On Apr 18, 2013
[quote author=seanet01]Arrant Nonsense.
When a 50KG of Rice just jumped from N8500 to N12,000 and a Kongo of Garri now N200 all the way from N120.
Keep deceiving people.The statistic given by the goverment might nt be entirely correct nd ur information is also misleading cos ur statistic of wat is obtainable in the market is far wrong.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 8:13pm On Apr 18, 2013
porka:

What's value of the discount?
Do you know the tax waivers Dangote currently enjoys courtesy of the 10 year self-sufficiency cement policy Obasanjo initiated to encourage indigenous production of cement? Try and do some research and educate yourself a little bit..
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by billante(m): 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
You talk like a child slow in learn and lacking in understanding. Need I remind you of the report of thousands of Nigerians that applied for the few hundreds of government job vacancy recently

Are u so daft u can't comprehend wat I said!?

When 40 million people need jobs and 5 million jobs are created.... Will u say no jobs were created just because 100,000 people showed up for a 2000 job vacancies!?

2 Likes

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
Burger01:

This is the handiwork of marketers and some Nigerians who would prefer to cash in on the gain of inflation drop as against the average Nigerians enjoying and benefiting from the progress of the country economically. Some Nigerian marketers and business people are just thieves and saboteurs in the making. Unless their is a regulatory body in place to check such sharp economy practises amongst Nigerian markers Nigerians would never feel the impact of inflation drop. No wonder people keep saying prices of commodities would never come down in Naija. A sachet of 'pure water' was once sold at 10 naira and now some sell for 5naira and most bad eggs sell for 10 naira. Now, who is to be blamed?

sad

@ bold... if government is not to be blamed... why do we have a government? Is the government not suppose to be the regulator by ensuring policies and institutions that checkmate activities like these are put in place and work effectively?

I give you an example, in Edo State, in 2010, pure water was increased in some towns unilaterally by the baggage companies and the government took a decisive action and asked those companies to stop the exploitation. Very quickly, the governor, Adams Oshiomhole moved in with government machinery, and within few weeks the baggage companies reversed their prices to the old price.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by ypzilanti: 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
Well, the best measure of inflation is the API (Ashawo Prices Index).

Originally proposed by a Unilag professor, it calculates the increase/decrease in Ashawo prices for different sexxual acts across the years.

I just put a call to the prof and he says that Ashawo prices in Ikeja and VI has maintained a steady 10 percent increase over the past 10 years. Where did they get this 8.6 percent figure from?
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 8:20pm On Apr 18, 2013
Burger01:

This is the handiwork of marketers and some Nigerians who would prefer to cash in on the gain of inflation drop as against the average Nigerians enjoying and benefiting from the progress of the country economically. Some Nigerian marketers and business people are just thieves and saboteurs in the making. Unless their is a regulatory body in place to check such sharp economy practises amongst Nigerian markers Nigerians would never feel the impact of inflation drop. No wonder people keep saying prices of commodities would never come down in Naija. A sachet of 'pure water' was once sold at 10 naira and now some sell for 5naira and most bad eggs sell for 10 naira. Now, who is to be blamed?

sad

His post is a lie. There is no such rise in price. He is just a gloom and doom monger trying to promote his ACN sponsors with every post
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by ypzilanti: 8:22pm On Apr 18, 2013
On a serious note sha. Any serious student of economics knows that there is an inverse relationship between unemployment and inflation. Given CBNs harsh monetary policies that discourage lending, it is not surprising that inflation is down and unemployment UP.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 8:23pm On Apr 18, 2013
billante:

When 40 million people need jobs and 5 million jobs are created.... Will u say no jobs were created just because 100,000 people showed up for a 2000 job vacancies!?
Your stupidity is alarming! If jobs are being created like you claim, why on earth will you have millions running after the hundreds of jobs advertised by a government agency?

The reality on ground is companies are not hiring and no new jobs are being created because the government's policies have been "Share the oil money" among the rich and not embarking on grand scale economic reforms and transparency.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 8:23pm On Apr 18, 2013
billante:

Why do you bother replying the lad. He is just earning his pay. China has a higher unemployment rate than Nigeria yet it is considered a growing and prospering economy. He is only displaying his ignorance
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by otokx(m): 8:24pm On Apr 18, 2013
Policewoman: I went to market to buy garri the other day andmthe price seemed to remain constant. However all these grammar will make no meaning if the power sector remains in limbo. NEPA just dey FVCK up nowadays,
if na me talk am dem for say Fela u don come again. Since wey Fela return from work today by 6pm, no light, for work wey i dey sharp 4pm light wey come by 3.15pm waka.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by billante(m): 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Your stupidity is alarming! If jobs are being created like you claim, why on earth will you have millions running after the hundreds of jobs advertised by a government agency?

The reality on ground is companies are not hiring and no new jobs are being created because the government's policies have been "Share the oil money" among the rich and not embarking on grand scale economic reforms and transparency.
I can see ur are a arm chair bitter critic

Companies are not hiring?

Be deceiving urself and waiting for govt to spoonfeed you while ur mates are setting up companies and employing people
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 8:29pm On Apr 18, 2013
ypzilanti: On a serious note sha. Any serious student of economics knows that there is an inverse relationship between unemployment and inflation. Given CBNs harsh monetary policies that discourage lending, it is not surprising that inflation is down and unemployment UP.

Unemployment is simply a function of lack of production industries in comparison to population growth. Even is spain, italy, SA, Greece and germany. amongst other, where there is easy lending to industries, there is still very high unemployment. SA has a higher unemployment rate than Nigeria. The reason countries like greece are crashing is because the government is spending so much on welfare because of a high unemployment rate. That is why some senators in America is calling for reduced government spending to forestall an economic crash in the near future
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Chilug(m): 8:33pm On Apr 18, 2013
tomakint:
Why are a you an unrepentant ruminant? Even when the facts are painted in white you must have something negative to say no matter how stupiid and ridiculous it sounds, may God continue to sharpen your memory (Amen)!
Which part of nigeria are u in? Or u don't eat staple foods to have seen the speed at which those priceS skyrocket. Let's be frank to our selves my friend. Sentiment apart.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by j4jj: 8:38pm On Apr 18, 2013
Inflation drops? definitely not in Nigeria! What type of calculation is that? Abeg check your calculator joor and stop talking jagons
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Burger01(m): 8:39pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

@ bold... if government is not to be blamed... why do we have a government? Is the government not suppose to be the regulator by ensuring policies and institutions that checkmate activities like these are put in place and work effectively?

I give you an example, in Edo State, in 2010, pure water was increased in some towns unilaterally by the baggage companies and the government took a decisive action and asked those companies to stop the exploitation. Very quickly, the governor, Adams Oshiomhole moved in with government machinery, and within few weeks the baggage companies reversed their prices to the old price.
That's exactly what we need.. Price regulatory body and enforcers. Nigerians are too dishonest and we are naturally not truthful, I wonder why. Someone would sell his commodity at a 1% price less what another person would sell the same commodity of the same quality and you begin to wonder why there are such disparities in prices of commodities. Something somewhere is wrong else Naija economy system would never checkout..
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2013
Chilug:
Which part of nigeria are u in? Or u don't eat staple foods to have seen the speed at which those priceS skyrocket. Let's be frank to our selves my friend. Sentiment apart.

Which prices are skyrocketing? You are the one not being frank with yourself. Prices in Nigeria go up and down from time to time. There is nothing like skyrocketing prices
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Burger01(m): 8:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
thelastPope:

His post is a lie. There is no such rise in price. He is just a gloom and doom monger trying to promote his ACN sponsors with every post

grin
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by vanstanzy(m): 8:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
[quote author=knightsamsong][/quote]

hey, is that ur dad? wink wink wink Pleased to meet u, mr knightsamsong. grin grin grin
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Pontaboki: 8:57pm On Apr 18, 2013
Obiagelli:
Guy did you hear buhari will contest in 2015, your days are numbered
Did you hear what the Witches said?,he will fail again.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by deda(m): 9:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
tomakint:
You are indeed a human-demon and pathological LIAR as usual, a bag of rice hovers between N8,500 to N9,200 while a kongo of Garri still goes for N120 and even N100 in some places, you only need 'two Giant HORNS and a long TAIL' to complete your demonic nature online undecided

Guy I totally disagree wit u. Maybe d garri u bought was mixed with sawdust. At the moment the cost of garri ijebu per kongo is 250 in Ibadan. Just bought some last wkend
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by deletrue: 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1: When will we stop deceiving ourselves and be honest for once as a nation? Who are they fooling with these data? The prices of goods have good up astronomically and the earning powers of vast majority of Nigerians have not seen proportional increase yet someone expect us to believe these data?

Is it the case that our education as a people amounts to nothing
I think the problem with your likes is that you may have either left your former job or business to a less earning ones. If, for some reasons, you now earn less that has made living a little more uncomfortable, does mean that there is increase in inflation. During Obasanjo's time, any slightest increase in pump price, doubles the hardship to an unbearable level. So, are you saying it is the same today? No. Try to be very fair please.
Also know it today that those of you who continue to indulge in inglorius deals will remain uncomfortable because nature disagrees with inglorius deals.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
samilo88: That the effect of these claims aren't felt immediately on the price of common commodities boils down to the greediness of most sellers. A typical Nigerian trader won't be quick to adjust his or her selling price to reflect the initial price in which the goods were once sold, even when he or she buys that same commodity at a much more lesser price now. No wonder the saying that whatever goes up never comes down as mostly propagated by these traders. I think we ourselves are the one throwing wrenches into the gear wheels of our nation's progress. Until we start being sincere, we would only be seeing these figures on papers, the effect would be far from being felt.

Please I wonder when this drop happened. Is it as prices of things are going up. I wonder how they do this their voodoo economics. My sister just came home and said, "What is happening, prices of commodities are going up too fast". Yet this our Economist are seeing prices going
BEARISH. grin
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by pareto(m): 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
In which country? In US i guess, definitely not in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BREAKING News!!! Terrorists Strikes Near Abuja / Pastors Encouraging Corruption- Tunde Bakare / 98% Of Documents In Crude Sale Transactions Fake - NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.