Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. (1541 Views)

Help,my Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6 Is Draining My Pocket / My Car Battery Keeps Draining Out / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by kakameks: 7:52pm On Apr 18, 2013
Hi,

I would really like some helpfull suggestion on this problem.

My wife's 2001 camry car battery cant stay more than three days, if the car is not driven. I have monitored the car over night to see if the radio or lights may have been accidentally left on. I recently got a brand new battery and still have the same problems. I initally suspected he alternator but if i put a flat battery it charges the battery. But the battery does not last last if the car is not warmed. The finial straw was yesterday after the car was idle for a day i started the car and let it idle for a while and the next day i decided to take the car out it failed to start.

What is the cause and possible solution?

Regards.
Re: Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
Had same problem but my electrician did some abracadabra on the alternator n waoh AV been running the car till date. If not an electrical leak then maybe alternator. Let ur tech check for electrical leaks.
Re: Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by obua: 8:25pm On Apr 18, 2013
check if . ignition key actually switches. off
Re: Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by cretin: 10:39am On Apr 19, 2013
something is drawing the current..or a cable is shorting somewhere..flooded cars normally hv this problem.come out at night and observe the car thourougly , see if a light is glowing somewhere door lights on the dashboard etc.also does the car hv a sun roof?

the best way to trouble shoot this prob is if u have an amp meter..then u can measure the current draw
Re: Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by cretin: 11:09am On Apr 19, 2013
another culprit could be ur ground.check n clean ur ground terminals on the car body...i also advice u to run 2 or 3 more ground cables to ur frame and chassis.it doesnt hurt.make sure u use thick cables and affix to the unpainted part of the car body/firewall

also use the procedure above to check the current draw when the car is off..it better to do this procedure after the car has been off for abt 15mins upwards.

You use a multimeter in the current measuring position. Make sure the fuse is not bad.

Loosen the ground battery cable, but don't separate yet. Connect one side of the meter to the negative battery cable or the car chassis with a jumper lead. Hold the other probe of the meter to the top center of the negative battery post. Lift the battery terminal slightly. Maintain the probe against the post through the big hole in the terminal. Note the current. Push the battery terminal back into place, and tighten.

You want to avoid actually breaking the connection so that the radio and computer settings are not lost. The meter supplies the current path when the terminal is pulled away.
Re: Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by kakameks: 7:50pm On Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for all the ideas, will surely look into them, it can be harrowing being in a hurry to leave home to beat the early morning traffic only to get disappointed by your battery!!
Re: Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 19, 2013
In the meantime unplug the battery terminals at night. Also check your alternator for failure.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Stay Safe In A Taxi. / Need Help On Wish Engine To Put In Murano Plz Advice / To Each AC Car User: A Must Read Safety Measures!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.