Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

My Problem With Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Problem With Atheist (4308 Views)

Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection / The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Problem With Atheist by tobechi74: 10:15pm On Apr 19, 2013
Why cant atheist agree that their belief/ disbelief is based on faith?
Re: My Problem With Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 10:20pm On Apr 19, 2013
tobechi74: Why cant atheist agree that their belief/ disbelief is based on faith?

Man you just hit it on the head, it takes more faith to be an atheists than to be a Christian.
Re: My Problem With Atheist by wiegraf: 10:44pm On Apr 19, 2013
tobechi74: Why cant atheist agree that their belief/ disbelief is based on faith?

Your disbelief in santa is based on faith?

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With Atheist by EvilBrain1(m): 10:54pm On Apr 19, 2013
I confess!

My disbelief in the earth being flat is based on faith.
Re: My Problem With Atheist by Debeloved87(m): 11:03pm On Apr 19, 2013
Is this a thread for confession of faith.
Re: My Problem With Atheist by frank317: 11:03pm On Apr 19, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Man you just hit it on the head, it takes more faith to be an atheists than to be a Christian.

u call ur self a man of God and u agree with that nonsense up there, i pity ur church
Re: My Problem With Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 11:28pm On Apr 19, 2013
[quote
author=tobechi74]Why cant atheist agree that their belief/ disbelief
is based on faith?[/quote]

frank3.16:

u call ur self a man of God and u agree with that nonsense up there, i
pity ur church

I use to think any and every professed atheists are intelligent, this is
simple reasoning.
You say you do not believe in God due to your reasoning and logic which God do
not fit in. Though sometimes this things are inconclusive yet you believe
in them in order to negate God. Invariably you believe in your reasons
and put your faith in it, so though you are not a believer in God but
you sure believe in some thing.

In conclusion, it takes more faith to believe in what you believe than
to be a xtian.

Frank you disappoint me many at times with your reasonings!
Re: My Problem With Atheist by frank317: 11:44pm On Apr 19, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

I use to think any and every professed atheists are intelligent, this is
simple reasoning.
You say you do not believe in God due to your reasoning and logic which God do
not fit in. Though sometimes this things are inconclusive yet you believe
in them in order to negate God. Invariably you believe in your reasons
and put your faith in it, so though you are not a believer in God but
you sure believe in some thing.

In conclusion, it takes more faith to believe in what you believe than
to be a xtian.

Frank you disappoint me many at times with your reasonings!

well, i think the problem is that u see faith as a christian concept given ur explanation above. and forgive me for misunderstanding ur point of view. i just thought the poster was wrong in the sense that he concludes that it takes faith not to believe in God

1. faith is not just a christian concept, its just a human thing. when u have hope there is a little faith in that, it just that we christians carry it on ur head like say na we get am pass.

2. it does not take faith to disbelieve in God, it actualy just takes indept reasoning.
Re: My Problem With Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 12:03am On Apr 20, 2013
@frank

Rather you are the one relating faith with just about God with your statement above. There was never a point in time i related faith to just believing God and a xtian thing, or ever insinuating it?

Faith is is believing in a thing by putting your trust and hope in it. When i said atheists have more faith in what they believe than xtians.

what i meant was that for you to be an atheist you have to believe in science which many at times are inconclusive, but when one comes to truly believe in God there are no more incompleteness for everything is made plain.
Re: My Problem With Atheist by EvilBrain1(m): 12:48am On Apr 20, 2013
Pastor Olu T: @frank

Rather you are the one relating faith with just about God with your statement above. There was never a point in time i related faith to just believing God and a xtian thing, or ever insinuating it?

Faith is is believing in a thing by putting your trust and hope in it. When i said atheists have more faith in what they believe than xtians.

what i meant was that for you to be an atheist you have to believe in science which many at times are inconclusive,
but when one comes to truly believe in God there are no more incompleteness for everything is made plain.

Right, so science is "occasionally inconclusive" abi? What about religion? How come the bible doesn't tell people to boil water before drinking it? After all, the old testament is full of rules about what not to eat, and how to isolate lepers, menstruating women, and those who give birth to girls. If the lord god is was so concerned about the health of his people, how come he didn't give them the this most simple of advice which could have saved the lives of millions of Israelite/Christian children over the millennia?

And how many diseases has religion eradicated? Scientists can brag about small pox and the plague. Polio, measles and whooping cough are on their way out and old killers like scarlet fever are now extremely rare; all thanks to science. Add all the religions in the world together and tell me how many diseases they've managed to wipe out. Why don't you guys pray to Jebus to kill all the mosquitoes in Africa and prevent the 1 million deaths a year malaria causes?

Why don't Christians apply the wisdom in the bible and use it to invent something useful like a new type of computer, or plane or ballpoint pen? Einstein's relativity was able to predict the existence of black holes decades before one was actually detected. Why don't you Christians come up with you own theory and predict something?

Science may be occasionally inconclusive, but religion constantly so. If you need faith the size of a mustard seed to believe in the science that gave you the computer you're typing your rantings on, then you'd need faith the size of Olympus Mons to believe in religion that has produced little or nothing of use to anyone who is not a pastor getting rich off the gullibility of others.

It's late. Stop talking nonsense and go to sleep.

4 Likes

Re: My Problem With Atheist by tobechi74: 8:24am On Apr 20, 2013
We Christians never met Jesus, we read about him in a book, was reasonable and we belived . We never saw christ yet we belived.that is faith.

Atheist read the bible but it didnt make sence to them. They read charles darwin idea ,amd it was sensible. Scientist claimed they found evidnce claimin darwin idea true. Atheist never saw the evidence but they belived.

Big bang theory , no one withnesed it. But atheist belived it happened. It makes more sence to them. Isnt it faith?

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by frank317: 8:28am On Apr 20, 2013
Evil Brain:

Right, so science is "occasionally inconclusive" abi? What about religion? How come the bible doesn't tell people to boil water before drinking it? After all, the old testament is full of rules about what not to eat, and how to isolate lepers, menstruating women, and those who give birth to girls. If the lord god is was so concerned about the health of his people, how come he didn't give them the this most simple of advice which could have saved the lives of millions of Israelite/Christian children over the millennia?

And how many diseases has religion eradicated? Scientists can brag about small pox and the plague. Polio, measles and whooping cough are on their way out and old killers like scarlet fever are now extremely rare; all thanks to science. Add all the religions in the world together and tell me how many diseases they've managed to wipe out. Why don't you guys pray to Jebus to kill all the mosquitoes in Africa and prevent the 1 million deaths a year malaria causes?

Why don't Christians apply the wisdom in the bible and use it to invent something useful like a new type of computer, or plane or ballpoint pen? Einstein's relativity was able to predict the existence of black holes decades before one was actually detected. Why don't you Christians come up with you own theory and predict something?

Science may be occasionally inconclusive, but religion constantly so. If you need faith the size of a mustard seed to believe in the science that gave you the computer you're typing your rantings on, then you'd need faith the size of Olympus Mons to believe in religion that has produced little or nothing of use to anyone who is not a pastor getting rich off the gullibility of others.

u have said it all, i wouldnt have said it better. thanks
Re: My Problem With Atheist by tobechi74: 8:30am On Apr 20, 2013
Evil Brain:

we arent comparing both. We are just saying ATHEISm is based on faith too

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by manmustwac(m): 8:32am On Apr 20, 2013
My disbelief is not based on faith its based on REALITY!
Re: My Problem With Atheist by frank317: 8:39am On Apr 20, 2013

what i meant was that for you to be an atheist you have to believe in science which many at times are inconclusive, but when one comes to truly believe in God there are no more incompleteness for everything is made plain.

you still did not xplain how not believing in God requires faith, pls read the opening post again.

besides not all atheist believe in science, some just dont believe in anything. stop telling yourself what u chose to believe. get facts first before believing.

if you say science is inconclusive, how then did you come up with the conclusion that religion is conclusive, well i have noticed that u are fond of believing what u chose to believe and nothing else matter (good for u).

if religion was conclusive do u think there would have been all these argument on nairaland and the world all over and God being real or not?

well, evil brain said it all, but like i know u would his statement wont make sense to u. but u take drugs when u are sick, u no more write letter but make calls with ur magical cell phone, u type on ur pc, watch tv, u browse, u drive on cars etc yet u think religion is ,more conclusive than science? i just wonder how u think and i am beginning to be worried about u, are almost falling out of reality here, pls be real and stop assuming.

why do u think people who believe in their 'inconclusive' big bang theory are in any way worse than you who believe that there is a man up there who created the world and controls things, saves some good and bad people and ignore some good and bad people. if this makes sense to u, why do u think the big bang theory wont make sense to another?
Re: My Problem With Atheist by Debeloved87(m): 8:51am On Apr 20, 2013
The essence or purpose of religion is not for technological innovations and inventions its for knowing and worshipping the supreme intelligence behind creation. Even scientist that invent cant say they just woke up and know it, knowledge is from God, and he has put every iota of knowledge in every form of creation. The herbalist didnt create the herbs but found some hidden knowledge and usefullness in every herbs. The scientist produce chemicals but they didnt get those chemicals from their body, a mixture of this and that produce that they want as they discover the knowledge in them...the inventors didnt create steel but mine it out and discover what largely they can use it for, remember Adam ate the fruit of Knowledge... And to believe in God requires more faith and revelations rather than to be an atheist...your belief as an atheist depends on visible things, why our belief as a christians depends on invisible things....Jesus says blessed are those that believe yet not seen. Thou you might think its easy to belief in God, but No, its not. Adam belief God, thats why its known as the father of all nations, lots of people belief God even thou they havent see him and they were successful. If you put your belief in only what you can see then you are shortsighted....A truth be told "the invisible birth out the visible".

3 Likes

Re: My Problem With Atheist by frank317: 9:02am On Apr 20, 2013
Debeloved87: The essence or purpose of religion is not for technological innovations and inventions its for knowing and worshipping the supreme intelligence behind creation. Even scientist that invent cant say they just woke up and know it, knowledge is from God, and he has put every iota of knowledge in every form of creation. The herbalist didnt create the herbs but found some hidden knowledge and usefullness in every herbs. The scientist produce chemicals but they didnt get those chemicals from their body, a mixture of this and that produce that they want as they discover the knowledge in them...the inventors didnt create steel but mine it out and discover what largely they can use it for, remember Adam ate the fruit of Knowledge... And to believe in God requires more faith and revelations rather than to be an atheist...your belief as an atheist depends on visible things, why our belief as a christians depends on invisible things....Jesus says blessed are those that believe yet not seen. Thou you might think its easy to belief in God, but No, its not. Adam belief God, thats why its known as the father of all nations, lots of people belief God even thou they havent see him and they were successful. If you put your belief in only what you can see then you are shortsighted....A truth be told "the invisible birth out the visible".

if religion had stuck to that, then there wouldnt have been any problem.

in churches our pastors call God the mighty healer, provider, etc. they make it sound like scientist are just wasting their time. eg. if u take drugs, the drug didnt actually work, it was God that healed. some dont even go to hospital etc.

now if u say it was God that provided everything for the scientist to use and also provide the brain to use it (weather the scientist believe in God or not) fine, i will agree with u.

but was he the one that also gave the scientist the brain to build atomic bombs and guns to destroy his fellow human being.

if u want to believe God provided everything, then believe he provided both good and bad. dont be selective in ur believe.

if

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by Debeloved87(m): 9:18am On Apr 20, 2013
frank3.16:

in churches our pastors call God the mighty healer, provider, etc. they make it sound like scientist are just wasting their time. eg. if u take drugs, the drug didnt actually work, it was God that healed. some dont even go to hospital etc.

now if u say it was God that provided everything for the scientist to use and also provide the brain to use it (weather the scientist believe in God or not) fine, i will agree with u.

but was he the one that also gave the scientist the brain to build atomic bombs and guns to destroy his fellow human being.

if u want to believe God provided everything, then believe he provided both good and bad. dont be selective in ur believe.

if
hahaha....i got you frank. There is what we call divine healing, its different from medicinal or medical healing what the pastors are talking of is divine healing, healing from God. Even the angels that are assign to do that study the nature of the sickness before applying the healings, but it mostly depends on the belief or faith of such person. And such healing is instant. Have'nt you heard of a situation whereby a doctor will tell you that he cant diagonise the sickness affecting a patient, that he/she cant even see anything wrong with the person and the person will be on the hospital bed, crying and dying, this kinds are dealt with through divine healings. Its true some dont take medicines and it works for them but some takes and also believe in divine healing. Now talking of creating atomic bombs. God give knowledge but man corrupted the knowledge. Knowledge is one and it can be use in two ways the Good way or the bad way. Creation of atomic bomb is okay,it comes from knowledge it would have been better if its purpose is to attack invading aliens from other planet but man yielded to the devil and use it to attack himself. The purpose of the devil for humanity is destruction.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by EvilBrain1(m): 5:12pm On Apr 20, 2013
tobechi74: we arent comparing both. We are just saying ATHEISm is based on faith too

Atheism is not based on faith. You don't need faith to dismiss a claim that has no evidence backing it. If I told you I was the king of Uganda, would you need faith to believe that I was lying? You would just believe that I am the king of Uganda without at least asking a Ugandan, or looking at the Ugandan government website to see if my picture is there.

If someone makes a claim that is demonstrably false then faith doesn't come into the equation. Even when the evidence isn't clear, you can still weight the probabilities and decide whether a claim is likely to be true or false. Its only when you don't have the intelligence or resources to evaluate a claim that you need to resort to wishful thinking faith.

If god truly existed and was active in the lives of people, then his influence would be the easiest thing in the world to demonstrate. That fact that nobody has been able to find a shred of evidence that any god of any kind exists anywhere is all the information I need to dismiss Christianity, Islam, guru maraji worship and all other faith based religion as the steaming piles of bullcrap they are. No faith needed.

Edit: How to prove that god is real beyond a reasonable doubt:
Use census data from any large developed country. Calculate the under-5 mortality rate for families who report themselves as Christians. Compare what you get with that of the general population as well as of other religions. If god is real and answers prayers, then far fewer children from Christian homes would die compared to those of unbelievers since practically all Christians pray for the safety of their children. This is a simple study that you could probably do in minutes and it can show that god is real and prayer works.

Show me evidence that god is real and I'll convert.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by ooman(m): 5:56pm On Apr 20, 2013
For what its worth, I believe in something, I believe in nature, I believe that because nature can self coordinate its complex forms, it can self originate its simple forms. I believe that there must be an eternal simplest stuff from which the universe came.

I dont believe in god because nothing can come from nothing and I dont believe in god because he is too complex to be my simplest stuff from which everything came.

it takes less faith to believe that something unconsciously simple can exist forever than to believe that a complex conscious, omnipotent being popped into existence from nothing and made everything from nothing. cool

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by ijawkid(m): 6:04pm On Apr 20, 2013
manmustwac: My disbelief is not based on faith its based on REALITY!

And what is the reality??....abi na only ona dey see am??......
Re: My Problem With Atheist by ijawkid(m): 6:06pm On Apr 20, 2013
ooman: For what its worth, I believe in something, I believe in nature, I believe that because nature can self coordinate its complex forms, it can self originate its simple forms. I believe that there must be an eternal simplest stuff from which the universe came.

I dont believe in god because nothing can come from nothing and I dont believe in god because he is too complex to be my simplest stuff from which everything came.

it takes less faith to believe that something unconsciously simple can exist forever than to believe that a complex conscious, omnipotent being popped into existence from nothing and made everything from nothing. cool

cheesy......keep decieving the Hell outta yaself.........

At least you needed Faith sha.......cheesy
Re: My Problem With Atheist by ooman(m): 6:11pm On Apr 20, 2013
ijawkid:

cheesy......keep decieving the Hell outta yaself.........

At least you needed Faith sha.......cheesy

we all need faith to do anything at all, first we believe its possible, then we pursue it, but we dont need faith in an invisible skydaddy because he doesn't exist.
Re: My Problem With Atheist by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 20, 2013
ooman:

we all need faith to do anything at all, first we believe its possible, then we pursue it, but we dont need faith in an invisible skydaddy because he doesn't exist.

heehe, so you mean to say that GOD is the ultimate abuse of faith? lipsrsealed
Re: My Problem With Atheist by ooman(m): 6:20pm On Apr 20, 2013
musKeeto:

heehe, so you mean to say that GOD is the ultimate abuse of faith? lipsrsealed

eeeeexxxxxxaaaaaaccccccttttttlllllyyyyy.

I just made a brilliant quote - faith is natural in itself, but faith in god is an abuse of faith.

or how else can I phrase it? . cheesy
Re: My Problem With Atheist by plaetton: 6:20pm On Apr 20, 2013

With all due respect, this reasoning is quite childish.
What do you mean by "believe in science which many at times are inconclusive"?
This sounds like motor park logic.
What in science is inconclusive?
Do you really understand what science is?

Let me try my best to make it very simple for you.
Faith deals with absolutes and the mysteries sorrounding such. Faith requires no proofs, no tests. For example, you accept, by faith, that an invisible spirit, a non-physical entity, impregnated a woman, a physical entity, to bear a son. You cannot explain how a non-physical entity produced sperm to fertilize the woman's eggs.
You cannot explain why the so-called spirit chose that cumbersome method of reproduction when it has its omnipotent power to magically make the son appear.
There is no proof, no tests, no eyewitness testimonies, just the written myths of anonymous stone-aged people, written some 300yrs after the supposed event.
That is faith.
Science, on the other hand, says that if you combine two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen, you will get one molecule of water. Does it take faith to accept that?
How much faith does it take for you to articulate and write your thoughts on your computer keyboard and then share it with millions of people all over the world?
Do you know how the computer works?
Is that faith?

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Atheist by Olamyyde(m): 6:25pm On Apr 20, 2013
in summary, when a person chooses to be an atheist, he doesn't belive in nothing, rather he believes anything
Re: My Problem With Atheist by plaetton: 6:26pm On Apr 20, 2013
tobechi74: We Christians never met Jesus, we read about him in a book, was reasonable and we belived . We never saw christ yet we belived.that is faith.

Atheist read the bible but it didnt make sence to them. They read charles darwin idea ,amd it was sensible. Scientist claimed they found evidnce claimin darwin idea true. Atheist never saw the evidence but they belived.

Big bang theory , no one withnesed it. But atheist belived it happened. It makes more sence to them. Isnt it faith?

Again, we are seeing motor park logic on display.

I can bet that you have never been in a science class.
I guess you don't believe in the computer you are using, simply because you do not know how logic devices convert your keystrokes into words and images?
Re: My Problem With Atheist by ooman(m): 6:27pm On Apr 20, 2013
Olamyyde: in summary, when a person chooses to be an atheist, he doesn't belive in nothing, rather he believes anything

a person believes in anything when he decides to drop logic and reasoning and believe in the existence of god.

atheists believes in provable concepts
Re: My Problem With Atheist by plaetton: 6:30pm On Apr 20, 2013
Debeloved87: The essence or purpose of religion is not for technological innovations and inventions its for knowing and worshipping the supreme intelligence behind creation. Even scientist that invent cant say they just woke up and know it, knowledge is from God, and he has put every iota of knowledge in every form of creation. The herbalist didnt create the herbs but found some hidden knowledge and usefullness in every herbs. The scientist produce chemicals but they didnt get those chemicals from their body, a mixture of this and that produce that they want as they discover the knowledge in them...the inventors didnt create steel but mine it out and discover what largely they can use it for, remember Adam ate the fruit of Knowledge... And to believe in God requires more faith and revelations rather than to be an atheist...your belief as an atheist depends on visible things, why our belief as a christians depends on invisible things....Jesus says blessed are those that believe yet not seen. Thou you might think its easy to belief in God, but No, its not. Adam belief God, thats why its known as the father of all nations, lots of people belief God even thou they havent see him and they were successful. If you put your belief in only what you can see then you are shortsighted....A truth be told "the invisible birth out the visible".

In this modern time , there are indeed places where people who believe in invisible things, invisible firends and invisible voices are housed.
I think they are called mental health institutions.
grin
Re: My Problem With Atheist by tobechi74: 7:16pm On Apr 20, 2013
frank3.16:

if
the idea of not going to hospital is rubish.

God could heal through drugs, trough pastors,through herb etc

science isnt a waste of time she has a role to play physicaly. Religion plays a role spiritual.ly. Problem is when religon doesnt stick with spiritùal and start interfering in footbal, politics etc. Problem is when science interfers with religion, wana prove God, devil etc

God lays the foundation we use it our way. I can decide to use my intelligence to dupe my brother, yahoo yahoo. I may use it to teach my younga one or to find cure for aids. Its my choice. Blame me not God
Re: My Problem With Atheist by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 20, 2013

Good evening Tobe,

I don't think you need bother whether anyone agrees with you or not...it is only too glaring that anyone who says there is no God is professing his/her own act of faith.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shocking Jabhat Al-nusra Execute Woman For Adultery By Shooting Her Top Of Head / Ramadan Beheading !! Graphic Video Of Muslims Beheading A Christian !!! / If God Ask You To Make A Wish, What Would You Ask For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.