Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism (3005 Views)

Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know / How Much Does Seun Pay NL Mod's On Politcs Section / I Am Too Young To Quit Politcs- Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 3:47pm On Apr 20, 2013
That Chinua Achebe was one of the most illustrious sons to have come from Africa is not in doubt anymore.
That he lit up the literary spheres of the African continent and introduced African literature to the world is a no longer news.
That he stood tall as an incorruptible Nigerian at a period when everybody around him was losing their integrity is commendable.
That he stood up to be counted in the political formative years of Nigeria is a very bold move, joining not NPP but PRP.
That he authored so many brilliant books which were bestsellers is an eloquent testimony that he has an astute mind full of glowing ideas.
That he rejected national honors to protest against corruption and bad government is unprecidented in Nigerian political history.
That he abhored conflicts and any type of violence is what stood him out as a man of peace who will love to use his pen to make political changes, not with a gun.

I will like to use this thread to examine some of the ideology as espoused by the late literary icon, formost educator and social justice crusader, Prof. Chinualumogu Albert Acbebe.

(Please, this thread is not meant to draw ethnic and tribal comparisons but to look at the whole picture, this thread is an invitation to intelligent discourse only) Moderators, please be on the alert in case of those of us who loves to disrupt peaceful discourse.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by aljharem(m): 3:56pm On Apr 20, 2013
very comical grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 3:57pm On Apr 20, 2013
The problems of Nigeria started early, very soon after independence. Achebe has this to say about the state of corruption and the start of our problems as a country;

"Within six years of this tragic colonial manipulation Nigeria was a cesspool of corruption and misrule. Public servants helped themselves freely to the nation's wealth. Elections werw blatantly rigged. The subsequent national census was outrageously stage-managed; judges and magistrates were manipulated by the politicians in power. The politicians themselves were pawns of foreign business interests"

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 4:04pm On Apr 20, 2013
He continued thus about the way corruption mingled with ethnicism.

"The social malaise in Nigeria society was political corruption. The structure of the country was such that there was an inbuilt power struggle among the ethnic groups, and of course those who were in power wanted to stay in power. The easiest and simplest way to retain it, even in a limited area was to appeal to tribal sentiments, so they were egregiously exploited in the 1950s and 1960s." Chinua Achebe (2012)

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by Ngwakwe: 4:17pm On Apr 20, 2013
^^^

The above is the truth and nothing but the truth
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2013
There were notable attempts by well meaning Nigerians to reverse the trend early enough. Writers, and even artists used all in their disposal to right the wrongs which started to threaten the new country, Nigeria. Achebe had this to say about some of these great men and the way they tried to bring the problem to the Nigerian audience who may be oblivious of political happenings through their plays;

"Nigerian artists responded to these events in a variety of ways. The irrepressible Wole Soyinka put on stage a devastating satire, Before the blackout, Which played to packed audiences night after night in Ibadan. The popular traveling theater of Hubert Ogunde and his many wives began to stage a play clearly directed against the crooked premier of Western Nigeria. The theater group was declared an unlawful society and banned in Western Nigeria. Things were coming to a head in that region. Violence erupted after an unbelievable election swindle, as a result of anger and frustration of Western Nigerians. It was in these circumstances that Wole Soyinka was charged with holding up the Ibadan radio station and removing the premier's taped speech!"

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 4:26pm On Apr 20, 2013
The reason I am starting from the early days is because of this proverb left to us by Chinua Achebe;

"An Igbo proverb tells us that a man who does not know where the rain began to beat him cannot say where he dried his body"
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 4:51pm On Apr 20, 2013
Just after the coup of January 15, 1966, this was the thinking of Achebe;

"Nigeria was not ready or willing to face her problems. If her leaders had approached their duty with humility, they all might have realized long before the coup that the country was in deep trouble. Nigeria was rocked by one crisis after another in the years that followed independence. First the Nigerian census crisis of 1963-64 shook the nation, then the federal election crisis of 1964, which was followed by the Western Nigeria election crisis of 1965-which threatened to split the country at its seams. At that point most of us, the writers at least knew that something was very wrong with Nigeria. A fix was long overdue" (by the political class)

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 9:59pm On Apr 20, 2013
And the coup itself, he said;

"Despite my fictional writings I never expected or wanted the form of violent intervention that became the military coup of January 15 1966. I had hoped that the politicians would sort things out for our new nation. Any confidence we had that things could be put righ was smashed as we watched elements from the military take control. The coup was led by a group of junior officers, most of the Igbo, and it would be known widely as the Nzeogwu coup after Major Chukwuma Nzeogwu, the ring leader, who was from the northern city of Kaduna. That night of January 15, 1966, is something Nigeria has never really recovered from."

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by dayokanu(m): 10:04pm On Apr 20, 2013
The Politics of Achebe can be summarized in one word

"BITTERNESS"

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by eggheaders(m): 10:10pm On Apr 20, 2013
dayokanu: The Politics of Achebe can be summarized in one word

"BITTERNESS"

for a man to remove the name of one his best friend from the foreword of his already published work.speaks volume about the kind of person this man was.he died a bitter man.go and actualize your dream nation of kidnappers and fraudsters in the great beyond.
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 10:10pm On Apr 20, 2013
dayokanu: The Politics of Achebe can be summarized in one word

"BITTERNESS"

Achebeism, a new subject being introduced in secondary schools by Eze Nyesom Nwike.
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 10:19pm On Apr 20, 2013
eggheaders:

for a man to remove the name of one his best friend from the foreword of his already published work.speaks volume about the kind of person this man was.he died a bitter man.go and actualize your dream nation of kidnappers and fraudsters in the great beyond.

"If you don't like my story, write your own" Chinua Achebe.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by eggheaders(m): 10:22pm On Apr 20, 2013
van bonattel:

"If you don't like my story, write your own" Chinua Achebe.

like the story from the propaganda radio station.lols.
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 10:25pm On Apr 20, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The same old devil that couldn't live in Nigeria but chose to stay in the US.Even ojuku had more respect for returning home despite running away during the war.

politically,ojuku is more recognized than ashebe though for the bad side of history.

Fine, every Nigerian who choses to live abroad is a devil according to you?
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by aljharem(m): 10:53pm On Apr 20, 2013
van bonattel:

Achebeism, a new subject being introduced in secondary schools by Eze Nyesom Nwike.

grin grin grin grin grin OK on a serious note, what is Achebeism in a short and precise definition ?
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by aljharem(m): 10:54pm On Apr 20, 2013
You see op you come across as an unserious fellow. LOL

WHAT IS ACHEBEISM grin grin
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 10:55pm On Apr 20, 2013
alj harem: You see op you come across as an unserious fellow. LOL

WHAT IS ACHEBEISM grin grin

My friend, it seems you are swimming in an ocean of iberiberism grin

4 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by aljharem(m): 10:58pm On Apr 20, 2013
van bonattel:

My friend, it seems you are swimming in an ocean of iberiberism grin

I beg wetin be iberiberism, another achebe's work ? LOOL
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by ekoilee: 11:07pm On Apr 20, 2013
unfortunately for the bigoted and tribalistic coward mod, you can only hide behind your mod rubbish while you perpetrate your tribalistic agenda, you can not dictate to me how to spell or pronounce anything because of your your own and your kinsmen's low self esteem since it doesn't bother me how your kinsmen basterdize other people name everyday in every thread, the insecurity over name is yours and never shall be mine.

Back to topic, again, the only relevant recognition as far as NL is concerned is the hall of shame recognition. Period.

Also again, it was cowardly to sit in a foreign country while fanning hatred, bigotry and doom and gloom against your own country and countrymen. That was his was legacy.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 11:11pm On Apr 20, 2013
eko ilee: unfortunately for the bigoted and tribalistic coward mod, you cam only hide behind your mod rubbish while you perpetrate your tribalistic agenda, you cam not dictate to me how to spell or pronounce anything because if your your own and.your kinsmen low self esteem since it doesn't bother me how your kinsmen basterdize other people name everyday in every thread, the insecurity over name is yours and never will be mine.

Back to topic, again, the only relevant recognition as far as NL is concerned is the hall of shame recognition. Period.

Also again, it was cowardly to sit in a foreign country while fanning hatred, bigotry and doom and gloom against your own country and countrymen. That was his was legacy.

Nice bitter comment.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 11:17pm On Apr 20, 2013
By the time the soldiers and mobs started cleansing Igbos from the north and West, Achebe had this to say;

"I was one of the last to flee Lagos, I simply could not bring myself to accept that I could no longer live in my nation's capital, although the facts clearly said so. My feeling toward Nigeria was one of profound disappointement. Not because mobs were hunting down and killing innocent civilians in many parts, especially in the north, but because the federal government sat by and let it happen"

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by vanbonattel: 11:26pm On Apr 20, 2013
And........

"The problems of the Nigerian federation were well known, but I somehow had felt that peharps this was part of a nation's maturation, and that given time we would solve our problems. Then, suddenly, this incredible, horrific experience happened-not just to a few people but to millions, together. I could not escape the impact of this trauma happening to millions at the same time. Suddenly I realized that the only valid basis for existence is the one that gives security to you and your people. It is as simple as that"

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by CyberG: 11:30pm On Apr 20, 2013
van bonattel: By the time the soldiers and mobs started cleansing Igbos from the north and West, Achebe had this to say;

"I was one of the last to flee Lagos, I simply could not bring myself to accept that I could no longer live in my nation's capital, although the facts clearly said so. My feeling toward Nigeria was one of profound disappointement. Not because mobs were hunting down and killing innocent civilians in many parts, especially in the north, but because the federal government sat by and let it happen"

First achebeism means nothing. He had no political views while alive. Political view is different from ethnic/tribal view on which he built his life. He should have left Lagos on the first day for what did he do or say when his people were killing leaders from the north or south west? When he Ironsi refused to prosecute the coupist, what did achebe do or say?Nothing! No wonder he could never get over his bitterness for he and his folks got really served!
Re: Understanding The Politcs Of Achebeism by ekoilee: 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2013
van bonattel: By the time the soldiers and mobs started cleansing Igbos from the north and West, Achebe had this to say;

Same way the people of lagos could not believe that the people they welcomed and showered with hospitality could turn around and bomb them in the middle of the night like ungrateful and mean spirited cowards, the same man whose kinsmen men showered the people of lagos with evil joined the same perpetrators to later invade their land. Maybe the old man forgot all about that because of amnesia or old age got to him, either way , he was not only a bitter and troubled man, he was a coward, mean spirited and bitter man.

One of your people said something about the dangers of single stories, but unfortunately, you people eat, drink and get high on the same single stories

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Still On Stella Odua -to Whom It May Concern / Is Gov. Idris Wada Of Kogi State Truly Lunatic? / New Photos: GMB Chilling With Prof.osinbajo After His Interview With Mo' Abudu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.