Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,429 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident (6270 Views)

How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / Mobile Money From Diamond Yellow Account/mtn Partnership-how To Open / How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by keepingmum: 8:22am On Apr 22, 2013
Good morning House.

I would like to open a bank account in 9ja and having tried all the banks (well, most of the well known banks), it appears i cant. I have been told i have to be in nigeria to be able to open a bank account. Is this true? Can any of our banker subscribers/users shed some light on this.
I have been a non resident for about 9years. i used to have an account with STB but they have since been swallowed up by UBA.
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by LOUDmedia(m): 8:45am On Apr 22, 2013
Have you tried GTB? With their new GT Social platform, I learnt one can create an account via Facebook or Twitter. You may have to verify this though.

On the flip side, if you are interested in company registration in Nigeria, even while you are abroad, our company can handle that for you.
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by 360command: 8:49am On Apr 22, 2013
If u r not residing in nigeria, what do you need it for? When I first read your topic, it sounded as if you are non citizen of nigeria but I guess u r nigerian.
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by keepingmum: 9:08am On Apr 22, 2013
LOUDmedia: Have you tried GTB? With their new GT Social platform, I learnt one can create an account via Facebook or Twitter. You may have to verify this though.

On the flip side, if you are interested in company registration in Nigeria, even while you are abroad, our company can handle that for you.

Yes i did and apparently its only available to nigerian residents. I even tried filling the account form via the FB platform and in the end, you are still required to take identification documents to your local branch before the account would be activated for use
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by keepingmum: 9:09am On Apr 22, 2013
360command: If u r not residing in nigeria, what do you need it for? When I first read your topic, it sounded as if you are non citizen of nigeria but I guess u r nigerian.

I am a nigerian citizen however i have been resident abroad for a while. I do need the account as i intend to use it as a savings pot for when i eventually relocate to nigeria. its just frustrating that the banking system is designed to be difficult for account opening.
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by omogidi234(m): 11:56am On Apr 23, 2013
keepingmum:

I am a nigerian citizen however i have been resident abroad for a while. I do need the account as i intend to use it as a savings pot for when i eventually relocate to nigeria. its just frustrating that the banking system is designed to be difficult for account opening.

Hi,

You need to understand that our banks are doing well but not at the rate commensurable with banks out there. If you are genuinely planning to open a savings account in Nigeria without necessarily flying in, I think it is possible. You can open a savings account through a 3rd party, it could be your lawyer or relative.

Just fill all the forms, attach utility bill of a Nigerian address and the opening balance, passport photograph, your Nigerian Id etc. It is done.

You can now begin to transfer money into your account from wherever you are.

I think it would be easier with Gt Bank.
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by JustK: 9:04pm On Feb 14, 2015
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by NaijaPress: 12:17am On Jan 30, 2018
Nigerian banks are growing, on a regular basis these banks are coming up with better ways of opening bank accounts with them, unlike before we now have banks issuing online bank account opening form..... It can only get better.

https://www.creditpent.com/open-bank-account-commercial-bank/
Re: How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident by Jeyromeo(m): 7:42am On Apr 08, 2018
I hope you are smart.
see,iam nigerian,but as for now,i have 2 account abroad and 3 account in my country.the questioneer is right.
I usually do must of my works online ,which may require international transaction.
please, iam not saying you talk nonsence.i just said it is possible.

(1) (Reply)

Pure Water Packing Bag Direct From Factory / We Are Moving Spare Parts Market In Lagos To The East ~~igbo Traders Union / Screen Printing Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.