Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,630 members, 7,955,307 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:09 PM

READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. (1513 Views)

12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today / Luciferean Series I: Understanding Christianity / The Doctrine Of Imputed Righteousness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 9:17am On Apr 22, 2013
A lot of times, I hear people (including some born-again Christians and Pastors) say: "we are all sinners jare, it is not easy to be righteous", whao! I hear it and it pricks my heart, really sad about their ignorance.

I am pleased to tell you now that:
1) Righteousness in the new testament is not a result of how you have avoided commiting sin.
2) Righteousness is a gift made available by the death and ressurection of Jesus.
3) Righteousness by 'trying not to sin' is what the bible calls 'filthy rags'. That is not God's idea of righteousness in the new testament.

RIGHTEOUSNESS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT IS A FREE GIFT- "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which recieve abundance of grace and the GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS shall reign in life by one Jesus Christ" -Romans 5:17. Remarkable!
The concept of trying to do holy things to earn God's righteousness came in the old testament when God gave the law (ten commandments) so as to enable them to be obedient, but no, they wer'nt but sinned the more (as a result of their inherited Adamic nature) Exodus 34, 35, 36. Nowonder in the new testament, God in his mercy sent Jesus to consume all our sins (past, present and future) on his body so as to purchase a new convenant where the people no longer need to be righteous by works (of trying to obey the law)but freely just by believing on Him (Jesus), whao! ROMANS 3:20-22 says "THEREFORE BY THE DEEDS OF THE LAW THERE SHALL NO FLESH BE JUSTIFIED IN HIS SIGHT: FOR BY THE LAW IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN. 21. BUT NOW THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD WITHOUT THE LAW IS MANIFESTED, BEING WITNESSED BY THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS; 22. EVEN THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD WHICH IS BY FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST UNTO ALL AND UPON ALL THAT BELIEVE..." . Yes, Righteousness by just believing in Jesus and accepting Him. I know you probably hav'nt heard this before but it is the gospel truth hallelujah! If you still have any iota of doubt in you, I want you to know that even when a man tries all his best to do that which is right without faith in Jesus, he is just suffering himself; he is still a great sinner as the man that sins everyday. The era we are in now is the era of 'righteousness not by works' but by 'believing on Jesus'. Romans 3: 27-28 says-" 27. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? NO: but by the law of faith. 28. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."
Justification in that context actually means: Righteous, Decleard not guilty or Saved . This shows us we arnt righteous by what we do but by whether we believe in and have accepted Jesus or not. You can now ask youself "do I believe in Jesus?" ,"Have I accepted Him as lord and saviour?" That will serve as a pointer to whether you are righteous or not. "for God so loved the world that world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life" -JOHN 3:16. Did you observe that it did not say "that whosoever obeys His law" or "that whosoever obeys Him", No. But, He said "that whosoeve believeth in Him..". Hallelujah. Listen friends: "ACCEPTING JESUS IS THE PREREQUISITE TO BEING RIGHTEOUS IN WORKS AND IN DEED" not otherwise. Accepting Jesus isnt about what many calls 'holy-holy life' but He (Jesus) will make you holy instead. Do you want to ricieve Him now and stop being a sinner but righteous and holy. Pray this prayer as audibly as you can with your mouth and all your heart:

Father, I come to you in Jesus name, I admit I have been a sinner. I henceforth recieve Jesus into my heart, to be the Lord over my life. I declear that I am now saved, bornagain and righteous, I now have Christ dwelling in me. Greater is He that is now in me than He that is in the world. Hallelujah! I am saved.

Congratulations on your new identity and righteousness. Post your enquiries and contributions. The are welcome.

2 Likes

Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 5:07pm On Jun 24, 2013
Please, we really welcome your coments. Say or ask something. Thank you
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by bizmahn: 5:16am On Jun 26, 2013
Doctrine of deception,doctrine from the pit of hell,the very doctrine destroying christianity this endtime,the very doctrine that has established ga'y churches all over the world.Give your life to christ,have faith in christ,forget about works of righteousness of any kind & bingo you got it.Just live all the wayward life you can imagine & have faith in christ & God will do the rest.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by bizmahn: 5:19am On Jun 26, 2013
The poster has provided all the bible verses that ignore works/effort to live right in christianity forgeting that the entire bible from genesis to revelation is a catalogue of INSTRUCTIONS on what we christians MUST OR MUST NOT DO(efforts/works) as our moral obligations in our walk with God if we must inherit eternal life(in addition to faith).I hereby present my own scriptures from new testament only lest you say its obsolate old testament requirement:-
James 2:14-26:-faith without works is DEAD.
Matt.26:31-46:-In the judgement Christ damned those that did not work.
Matt.5:16:-that they may see your GOOD WORKS & glorify your father in heaven.
Phil.2:12:-...WORK OUT your salvation with fear & trembling.
Titus 1:16:-they profess to know God but deny Him by their WORKS.
Matt.16:27,1corin.15:58,James 1:22,Heb.6:10 and all scriptures that command what sins we must avoid & what right things we must do to keep our salvation are all pointing to EFFORT/WORKS we must do while in our belief (faith) in Christ.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by bizmahn: 5:33am On Jun 26, 2013
We must learn to include balance in our understanding of the scripture & that every scripture has a correspoding scripture that gives it the right meaning.AS A GENERAL RULE EVERY UNDERSTANDING OF THE SCRIPTURE THAT DEVIATES FROM RIGHTEOUSNESS IS WRONG.THIS IS THE STANDARD TEST.
If you believe in God & refuse to do good righteous works as commanded you loose & vice versa.THE WORKS THE APOSTLE PAUL DESCRIBED IN ROMANS 4 & GALATIANS IS THE WORKS OF THE LAW.These to my knowledge are those ceremonies of purification & atonement & ordinances laid out in the old testament especially the leviticus which have to do with killing of lamb,sprinkling of blood and all such.They have been done away with by the coming of Christ but the commandments of WORKS OF LIVING RIGHT are still required(moral law).Shall we sin that grace may abound,God forbid.Rom.6:1,2.
Summary: Faith cannot do without works & works cannot do without faith.

1 Like

Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by okeyxyz(m): 9:05am On Jun 26, 2013
Nice one @OP, You are actually sounding all the right notes concerning christian doctrine. But the question now is in the specifics and practicality of this same doctrine. I also believe we are set free from the laws of Moses and that a man who subjects himself to observe the laws makes himself a sinner because he has not believed in the righteousness that comes through faith but chooses to attain it by works. The true understanding of God's righteousness is this: If we are set free from the Law, It means we no longer follow the definitions and commandments of the law. So my question for you is: If a man and woman consensually engage in se.xual relations without a marriage contract, is this a sin? Since the law itself defines this as sin and the Law and faith cannot hold the same definitions, therefore it cannot be sin according to faith. In fact it is to the glory of God that we could do this without feeling guilty as we did under the Law. GBAMM!!!

Oya, make una clap for me cool
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 10:27am On Jun 26, 2013
bizmahn: The poster has provided all the bible verses that ignore works/effort to live right in christianity forgeting that the entire bible from genesis to revelation is a catalogue of INSTRUCTIONS on what we christians MUST OR MUST NOT DO(efforts/works) as our moral obligations in our walk with God if we must inherit eternal life(in addition to faith).I hereby present my own scriptures from new testament only lest you say its obsolate old testament requirement:-
James 2:14-26:-faith without works is DEAD.
Matt.26:31-46:-In the judgement Christ damned those that did not work.
Matt.5:16:-that they may see your GOOD WORKS & glorify your father in heaven.
Phil.2:12:-...WORK OUT your salvation with fear & trembling.
Titus 1:16:-they profess to know God but deny Him by their WORKS.
Matt.16:27,1corin.15:58,James 1:22,Heb.6:10 and all scriptures that command what sins we must avoid & what right things we must do to keep our salvation are all pointing to EFFORT/WORKS we must do while in our belief (faith) in Christ.
Dear friend. All of the scriptures u posted does not justify ur claims that 'we must work to earn our righteousness'. These two scriptures u posted Matthew 5:16 and Phillipians 2:12. Of course Matthew 5:16 says "...that they may see your good works"- Now, what good works? The works of the law? No! If it were the works of obeying the Law. Jesus would have said so. The good works Jesus was talking about stems from his only commandment which is "Love". John 15:12- "This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." Jesus didnt say "that ye obey the law" (and you know what, for every bornagain the bible says "....the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghosts which is given unto us.- Rom 5:5. Just like the prophets said in the old testament when they prophesied concerning the comming testament, "HE HAS WRITTEN HIS COMMANDMENTS IN THE TABLE OF OUR HEARTS"wink. If that is truely Jesus' commandment, then what works do you think He was talking about? the Laws of Mose, c'mon dear brother; we are no longer under the law. In the era of the law, the Isrealites had to obey God's law before they could be regarded 'righteous', but; You and I know they couldnt obey, that was why God came to their aid by creating a means (the blood of the slain lamb) through which they could wash their sins yearly to absorb God's purnishment for their sins. That was why the blood of Jesus (the Son of God) was required to wash away the sins (both present, past and future) of the whole world. So that, any man or woman who believes and accepts Him recieves eternal life (the God kind of life)-John 3:16. Note it didnt say that any man who obeys his word but that "whosoever believes". Dear brother, Salvation does'nt come by works of righteousness. Man made righteousness is not acceptable to God. Galatians 5:4-5 "Christ is become of no effect unto you whosoever of you are justified by the law: ye are fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith." . 'Righteousness by faith'!! You see. Rom 5:17: "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which recieve abundance of grace and the GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS shall reign in life by one Jesus Christ." My brother, the bible noted that Righteousness in the new testament is a gift and not by how you have been trying to avoid sin. This teaching is controvercial but yet, It is the truth. You may think it gives room for people to sin but on the contrary, it makes wins people to Christ and makes them superior to the sin nature. ROMANS 6:14-15 "For sin shall not have dominion over you for ye are not under the law but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servents to obey, his servents ye are to whom ye obey...." . It says Sin shall not dominate you. Why did he say that? Its because we are under the Grace (unmerited favor) and we have the gift of righteousness. For a man who becomes bornagain now, whether he sins immediately does not make a difference because he has the "gift of righteousness" but sin shall (future tense) not have dominion over him because now he is righteous whether he sins or not. That makes him superior to sin. As he grows in Christ, the zeal to sin will no longer rule him but the zeal to do the word of God. Thank you, I do really appreciate your comments. God bless you. I just hope you understand that our righteousness in the new testament isnt by what we do or what we dont do but by accepting Jesus as lord and saviour-John 3:16
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 10:54am On Jun 26, 2013
okeyxyz: Nice one @OP, You are actually sounding all the right notes concerning christian doctrine. But the question now is in the specifics and practicality of this same doctrine. I also believe we are set free from the laws of Moses and that a man who subjects himself to observe the laws makes himself a sinner because he has not believed in the righteousness that comes through faith but chooses to attain it by works. The true understanding of God's righteousness is this: If we are set free from the Law, It means we no longer follow the definitions and commandments of the law. So my question for you is: If a man and woman consensually engage in se.xual relations without a marriage contract, is this a sin? Since the law itself defines this as sin and the Law and faith cannot hold the same definitions, therefore it cannot be sin according to faith. In fact it is to the glory of God that we could do this without feeling guilty as we did under the Law. GBAMM!!!

Haha. Nice question. Thank you. Now the question is: are they truely bornagain? If they are, of course, it is a sin to do this, 1 Corinth 6:18-20 teaches us to flee fornication. The issue now is that despite doing that, their sins have been paid for but they have made themselves slaves to sin by consciously and willingly doing that.- "know ye not, that to whom ye YIELD yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death or of obedience unto righteousness"-Rom 6:15. Note the word "YIELD". That answers ur question
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by unphilaz(m): 11:56am On Jun 26, 2013
damosky12:
Haha. Nice question. Thank you. Now the question is: are they truely bornagain? If they are, of course, it is a sin to do this, 1 Corinth 6:18-20 teaches us to flee fornication. The issue now is that despite doing that, their sins have been paid for but they have made themselves slaves to sin by consciously and willingly doing that.- "know ye not, that to whom ye YIELD yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death or of obedience unto righteousness"-Rom 6:15. Note the word "YIELD". That answers ur question

Hmm, i believe that the reason why this gospel of righteousness by the obedience of Christ (faith in Christ) is difficult to comprehend is because a lot of teaching in the orthodox and the Pentecostal have being built on the consciousness of sin, sin, sin. And they see the scriptures quoted by bizmahn in the light of sin-consciousness not out of the finished work of Christ which has given us the free gift of righteousness.

For me, i had to repent (change my mind) and daily and consciously reckoning the free gift of righteousness, judging what i read on nairaland religious section, tv, radio and book messages on the finished work of Christ. cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 12:45pm On Jun 26, 2013
unphilaz:

Hmm, i believe that the reason why this gospel of righteousness by the obedience of Christ (faith in Christ) is difficult to comprehend is because a lot of teaching in the orthodox and the Pentecostal have being built on the consciousness of sin, sin, sin. And they see the scriptures quoted by bizmahn in the light of sin-consciousness not out of the finished work of Christ which has given us the free gift of righteousness.

For me, i had to repent (change my mind) and daily and consciously reckoning the free gift of righteousness, judging what i read on nairaland religious section, tv, radio and book messages on the finished work of Christ. cheesy cheesy cheesy
It is good to know that the truth prevails. Now, Jesus asked us to go and preach the GOSPEL(the good news of the benefits of Jesus's death and ressurection) Mark 16:15. This days, people preach the bad news of works and condennation. They have that sin consciousness mindset that springs majorly from the world and traditions. But, THE GOSPEL IS UNIQUE.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by bizmahn: 2:25pm On Jun 26, 2013
Reprobacy
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by bizmahn: 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
I choose to follow the way Christ followed,I choose to follow the way the apostles followed,I choose to follow the old time christian "narrow way".God never changes & His word & standards never changes.Grace means recieving the power through constant prayer to live righteously.These "new generation gospel" christians have their mind made up like the atheists & the last I'll ever do is argue.This is how they go on disgracing christianity.Look at the news & see abominations so called christians & pastors are doing in the name of Christ has done it all.Are these the examples the apostles & Christ set ...he that is filthy let him be filthy still,and he that is righteous let him be righteous still...(Rev.22:11)... till that great & terrible day of reckoning.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 4:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
bizmahn: I choose to follow the way Christ followed,I choose to follow the way the apostles followed,I choose to follow the old time christian "narrow way".God never changes & His word & standards never changes.Grace means recieving the power through constant prayer to live righteously.These "new generation gospel" christians have their mind made up like the atheists & the last I'll ever do is argue.This is how they go on disgracing christianity.Look at the news & see abominations so called christians & pastors are doing in the name of Christ has done it all.Are these the examples the apostles & Christ set ...he that is filthy let him be filthy still,and he that is righteous let him be righteous still...(Rev.22:11)... till that great & terrible day of reckoning.
No intention to argue with you bro. What gospel do you preach? Now, let me ask you this: Do u work to earn God's righteousness?
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by benodic: 9:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
after going through most of the threads created by christians in this religion forum i can not help but agree with the atheists that christians are confused about their religion and one can not really say christianity is this or that as there are many versions to every concept raised with vitriotic attacks against each other. there is a lot to learn from the Bible but very little to learn from the christians who read and interpret it according to how they understand it.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 10:07pm On Jun 26, 2013
benodic:
after going through most of the threads created by christians in this religion forum i can not help but agree with the atheists that christians are confused about their religion and one can not really say christianity is this or that as there are many versions to every concept raised with vitriotic attacks against each other. there is a lot to learn from the Bible but very little to learn from the christians who read and interpret it according to how they understand it.
Hmmm, Christians arnt confused. You cant conclude by what you have seen on nairaland threads. That would be quite absurd. To be sure True Christians are confused, check their lives. Since "by their fruits, we shall know them."
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by Joagbaje(m): 6:37am On Jun 27, 2013
okeyxyz: Nice one @OP, You are actually sounding all the right notes concerning christian doctrine. But the question now is in the specifics and practicality of this same doctrine. I also believe we are set free from the laws of Moses and that a man who subjects himself to observe the laws makes himself a sinner because he has not believed in the righteousness that comes through faith but chooses to attain it by works. The true understanding of God's righteousness is this: If we are set free from the Law, It means we no longer follow the definitions and commandments of the law. So my question for you is: If a man and woman consensually engage in se.xual relations without a marriage contract, is this a sin? Since the law itself defines this as sin and the Law and faith cannot hold the same definitions, therefore it cannot be sin according to faith. In fact it is to the glory of God that we could do this without feeling guilty as we did under the Law. GBAMM!!!

Nothing is wrong with WORK ". There's difference between WORKS of the law and WORK of faith. So don't confuse the truth. Righteous living is a work of faith not works of the law. Giving,prayer, living right are all works of faith.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 27, 2013

Lol.doctrines of the Nicolaitans.There is nothing new in Christianity really.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by okeyxyz(m): 8:21am On Jun 27, 2013
Joagbaje:

Nothing is wrong with WORK ". There's difference between WORKS of the law and WORK of faith. So don't confuse the truth. Righteous living is a work of faith not works of the law. Giving,prayer, living right are all works of faith.

Good!! there are works of faith and works of the Law. So a man who continues to hold the values and definitions of the Laws of Moses, after being set free by christ's death(abolishment of the Law); For example: requiring marriage(or promise of marriage) before sex, surely he's doing the works of the Law and not of Faith. If after being delivered from the law of sin and death, you still continue to look to the law to define right and wrong rather than disregarding them, then you are doing the works of the Law and make the death of christ a waste.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by okeyxyz(m): 8:24am On Jun 27, 2013
Bidam: Lol.doctrines of the Nicolaitans.There is nothing new in Christianity really.

What about the Nicolatians?? Why do you think I am one??
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by okeyxyz(m): 8:32am On Jun 27, 2013
damosky12:

What is the use of being born again if your value systems is still based on the old Law? You claim that christ has saved you from the law, yet you still want to enforce the this same law on yourself. No!! being born again requires you to tear yourself away from the law as much as possible, Do not subject yourself to it's definitions of right and wrong with regards to your relationship with God. The laws are shadows, therefore they are lies.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 27, 2013
okeyxyz:

What about the Nicolatians?? Why do you think I am one??
Here is an interesting read for you:
The doctrine of the Nicolaitans appears to have been a form of antinomianism. (Antinomianism: A belief that is based upon a recognition of the mercy of God as the ground of salvation, but it makes the fatal mistake that man can freely partake in sin because the Law of God is no longer binding. It held the truth on the gratuitous reckoning of righteousness; but supposed that a mere intellectual “belief” in this truth had a saving power. The Apostle James refuted this error in James 2:19 with the admonition, "The devils also believe, and tremble"; reminding us that true faith is an active principle which works by love and it goes beyond a profession of belief. "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:20) The Bible teaches us that salvation is a free gift, based upon God's grace alone (Ephesians 2:8-9) However, the very next verse tells us that "we are created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10) True faith produce action, as well as a desire for holiness and obedience. (1 John 3:18, Titus 2:11-15, 1 Peter 1:15-16, Revelation 14:12)
http://www.wordoftruthradio.com/questions/38.html
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 10:18am On Jun 27, 2013
okeyxyz:

What is the use of being born again if your value systems is still based on the old Law? You claim that christ has saved you from the law, yet you still want to enforce the this same law on yourself. No!! being born again requires you to tear yourself away from the law as much as possible, Do not subject yourself to it's definitions of right and wrong with regards to your relationship with God. The laws are shadows, therefore they are lies.
You are right sir. For anyone who is bornagain, his body is the temple of God. Making use of that temple for fornication have repercusions. I want us to understand that there are some things God asks us to disist from not because He wants us to obey the Law but to prevent us from reaping the product of this things.
FOR INTANCE: Negative words- Prov 18:21, Doubt- James 1:8, Doing evil- 3John 1:11. We were asked not to do these, not that in obedience to the Law but so as to prevent reaping the fruits. Talking negatively would not make u lose your salvation but you daily experience may be negative-Prov 18:21. Doubt doesnt mean God does no still love you, but you may find it hard to recieve some certain things from Him.- James 1:7. I want us to know that for God to be fully manifested in us, there are some things that required, not to OBEY this time but to DO.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by okeyxyz(m): 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
damosky12:
You are right sir. For anyone who is bornagain, his body is the temple of God. Making use of that temple for fornication have repercusions.

The Fornication you refer to is that defined by the law as sex without marriage. This is a false definition if you go by true christian doctrine. The real fornication means: Unnatural sex or sex without consent. Simples. The mistake christians make is that they claim salvation by faith through Jesus christ, then they never seek to find out what the new mindset of this new man is. This new man should not be a follower of the law but must have different definitions of what is right or wrong apart from the Law. Everywhere Paul talks about fornication, He never meant it to mean sex without marriage as has been passed down to us by traditions(The Law), but he meant unnatural or non-consensual sex. Sex is of God and to his Glory, Not to be imprisoned under marriage as mandated by the Law. If a man wants to marry, then it is okay and he should be subject to the laws of marriage with regards to sex, but another man not choosing to marry should not be barred from sex. I do not believe that Paul and other apostles that were unmarried lived their lives as celibates. Celibacy is a Pagan(and of the Law) practice, has no basis in true christian doctrine.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by Joagbaje(m): 9:43pm On Jun 27, 2013
okeyxyz:

Good!! there are works of faith and works of the Law. So a man who continues to hold the values and definitions of the Laws of Moses, after being set free by christ's death(abolishment of the Law); For example: requiring marriage(or promise of marriage) before sex, surely he's doing the works of the Law and not of Faith. If after being delivered from the law of sin and death, you still continue to look to the law to define right and wrong rather than disregarding them, then you are doing the works of the Law and make the death of christ a waste.

The law can only be used as a reference because the principles of Gods kingdom are still contained there. We don't do things because the law say so , it's only used to buttress facts. For example when you find Paul quoting nature .

1 Corinthians 11:14
Doth not even nature itself teach you. . . ,

Does it mean we should live by natural laws? No but he used it to drive home a point.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by okeyxyz(m): 11:55pm On Jun 27, 2013
Joagbaje:
The law can only be used as a reference because the principles of Gods kingdom are still contained there.

It's good you understand that the principles are correct and godly. This I have no problem with, just like Paul noted:

So that the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and righteous, and good.(Romans 7:12)

Now the problem with the Law is it's interpretation rather than the principle, and It is this interpretation I refer to whenever I oppose the law and the same interpretation I label as "the Law", precisely the same thing Paul did. Until the coming and death of jesus, everybody interpreted the Law in one way which was literal and based on human traditions; we defined fornication as sex without marriage. So you see; though we use the law to justify our condemnation of fornication but the more vital question is: What is fornication? Now after christ's death has set us free from the Law(it's interpretation), we still use that same old interpretation to impose on christianity.

So the interpretation(rather than the principle) of the law is the SIN itself, but again I label the whole thing as "The Law" because that interpretation came, took force and validity through the Law. Paul explains this in Romans but it's still difficult to understand for the unenlightened. Verse 14 summarizes it when it declares: The law is spiritual(The principle) but I am carnal(My interpretation of it).

7What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Howbeit, I had not known sin, except through the law: for I had not known coveting, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet: 8but sin, finding occasion, wrought in me through the commandment all manner of coveting: for apart from the law sin is dead. 9And I was alive apart from the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died; 10and the commandment, which was unto life, this I found to be unto death: 11for sin, finding occasion, through the commandment beguiled me, and through it slew me. 12So that the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and righteous, and good

13Did then that which is good become death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might be shown to be sin, by working death to me through that which is good; —that through the commandment sin might become exceeding sinful.

14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by Dapsy70sk: 4:56am On Jun 28, 2013
@op well tnx for ur tym i quite agree but wit som reservatns, afterall jesus did say wen d spirit of truth com he shall reprove d world of sin becos dy believd nt on him n nt because of dr works..john 16v8...and i beliv dt d righteousnes of God is a gift, but paul teachin said dt..' now d works of d flesh are manifest which are these, adultery, fornication, uncleaness lasciviousnes idolatry witchcraft hatred variance emulations wrath strife seditions heresies envyings murders drunkenes revelins and such like of d which i tell u befr as i v also told u in time past dt THEY WHICH DO SUCH TINS SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD..GAL 5V19-21......Notice paul z they which do..meanin dt weda born again or not weda spirit filled or not regardles of d fact dt uv bin engraced or embeded wit d gift of righteousnes, as long as u do dss u shall nt inherit d kingdom
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by damosky12(m): 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
Dapsy70sk: @op well tnx for ur tym i quite agree but wit som reservatns, afterall jesus did say wen d spirit of truth com he shall reprove d world of sin becos dy believd nt on him n nt because of dr works..john 16v8...and i beliv dt d righteousnes of God is a gift, but paul teachin said dt..' now d works of d flesh are manifest which are these, adultery, fornication, uncleaness lasciviousnes idolatry witchcraft hatred variance emulations wrath strife seditions heresies envyings murders drunkenes revelins and such like of d which i tell u befr as i v also told u in time past dt THEY WHICH DO SUCH TINS SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD..GAL 5V19-21......Notice paul z they which do..meanin dt weda born again or not weda spirit filled or not regardles of d fact dt uv bin engraced or embeded wit d gift of righteousnes, as long as u do dss u shall nt inherit d kingdom
Now, I would like us to know that the idea of the gift of righteousness isnt just to be saved or to make heaven but to enable us to live like the Heavenly on earth so as to be perfect in words and deeds.- Romans 12:2. Yes, that is the idea of the gift of righteousness, it didnt come so as to enable us to sin the more. But, you know what, it gave us dominion over sin. "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" Romans 6:14. Whao! Why is it that it is now when we are free from the law that Sin would not dominate us. It sounds like an Irony. Here is the answer: "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: FOR BY THE LAW IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN." - Romans 3:20 . That means, the law makes all flesh a sinner. Nowonder, no Man found it easy to keep the Laws. No man, until Jesus came. For us to be righteous, we had to be independent of the Law, that was where Jesus came in to fulfill the law and die like a great sinner, taking all our sins (past, present and future) upon himself. He fulfilled the law to make us free from it. Praise God!! Now, Jesus could do that because of where He got his own life from. He wasnt from Adam (sinfull nature), but from the God's Spirit (not a man's sperm). His mother was a virgin who got overshadowed by the spirit to bear Him (Jesus)- Luke 1:26-31. Before Jesus died to pay the price for our righteousness, He promised to send us the Holy Spirit that He may guide us- John 16:13. (Now the world find it hard to belive this because John 14:16-17 says so). This Holy Spirit is there to propell us to live as God would have us live. Because of this, as a bornagain Christian; you just love God: "the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us" - Romans 5:5. Thats why when a Christian does any wrong. Even though, he has the gift of righteousness, he isnt comfortable with sin. This may not be very spontanious for a man who just got bornagain now, he may still find himself hating, cursing, smoking and doing other things God would not have him do. But, as he is taught the word, his mind is renewed gradually until he finds it easy to be led by God's Holy Spirit (Romans 12:2). Such people in the process of learning are called new born babes-1Peter 2:2. Thats why when you win a soul, you take him to church where he will learn. So, my dear brother: the fruits of the flesh are not for Christian (Bornagains) who feed on God's word. These people are led by God's Spirit (though we err sometimes, remember we have the gift of righteousness- Rom 5:17, we dont work to be righteous but to live by God's spirit) although at different levels. Rather than producing the fruits of the flesh, they produce that of the Spirit which are Love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. Note again that the Bible says "against this kind of people, there is no law"- Gal 5:23. All these "good works" all springs from the gift of righteousness and freedom from the Law since no man can please God through works- Rom 3:23.
Re: READ THIS ONE: Understanding Righteousness. by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 29, 2013
okeyxyz:

The Fornication you refer to is that defined by the law as sex without marriage. This is a false definition if you go by true christian doctrine. The real fornication means: Unnatural sex or sex without consent. Simples. The mistake christians make is that they claim salvation by faith through Jesus christ, then they never seek to find out what the new mindset of this new man is. This new man should not be a follower of the law but must have different definitions of what is right or wrong apart from the Law. Everywhere Paul talks about fornication, He never meant it to mean sex without marriage as has been passed down to us by traditions(The Law), but he meant unnatural or non-consensual sex. Sex is of God and to his Glory, Not to be imprisoned under marriage as mandated by the Law. If a man wants to marry, then it is okay and he should be subject to the laws of marriage with regards to sex, but another man not choosing to marry should not be barred from sex. I do not believe that Paul and other apostles that were unmarried lived their lives as celibates. Celibacy is a Pagan(and of the Law) practice, has no basis in true christian doctrine.
Any sex outside the "context of marriage" is se.xual perversion whether homosexuality,bestiality,fornicat.ion etc..it doesn't matter they all have their roots and are ruled by the same controlling spirits working in the children of disobedience.Don't be deceived.

(1) (Reply)

Lightning Bolts Sent To Kill:how True? / Some of our pastors are indeed leading us to heaven / Bolaino- Was He Ever Truly An Atheist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.