Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,209 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? (822 Views)

Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala Ran Nigeria Like A Come-and-chop Restaurant — Shehu Sani / Ex Judge Advocates For Christian Courts In Nigeria: Like Sharia Courts / Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by cisplatin: 5:22pm On Apr 22, 2013
The quote below was a real life conversation between a patriotic Nigerian studying abroad and an American citizen. It really got me thinking deep and postive about Nigeria....

"I was leaving Yale a few days ago, and a kind lady offered to drop me at the train station. On finding out that I was Nigerian, she quizzed “Do you ever want to become an American?” I looked at her, shocked, and replied “No”, a bit too forcefully considering I was getting a free ride.

You do not see what I see. Maybe in 1980 I would have wanted to be born American. Today, Now, I would rather be Nigerian. Not because it is the greatest country in Africa or on earth. Far from it…Rather, because of what we could be. I am yet to see another country so well positioned to lead continental transformation. -America already has it heroes, has peaked, and is in a rather bad place right now.

I dream of an African alliance: Nigeria, Angola and South Africa, leading negotiation for a continent into the global marketplace tied to investments in the wellbeing of people that live in Black Africa. I want to be part of that change. Why then would I want to be American?
America was what we could become"

What about you...have you thought of Nigeria in this way? Would you choose Nigeria over America?
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by Rossikk(m): 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2013
Definitely Nigeria over America. Nigeria is the future. If you set up a small company today in Nigeria, and run it according to basic business principles and strategy, that company will grow to be the African Walmart, General Motors, Ford, Apple, IBM, KPMG of 20 to 30 years' time. Your children and grandchildren will inherit a business empire worth millions, and in some cases, billions of dollars.

All projections from major financial analyst houses point to Nigeria being among the top 10 economies of the world by 2050, with annual GDP, currently $370 billion, projected to reach $7.5 TRILLION by 2050. We expect at least a $2 Trillion economy by 2020. This means one thing for YOU - your business will GROW in tandem with the economy. As the economy becomes increasingly sophisticated and world class, so will your business. As it generates more revenue, so will your business. You will become so big, you will be quoted on the London and Beijing exchanges. You will have an R&D department in your firm, funded with millions of dollars, tasked to develop more and better products.

In many ways, Nigeria is where America was at the turn of the last century - fast growing economy, huge, innovative, well-educated, highly entrepreneural population, generally accountable leadership, and fast growing infrastructure.

These massive US conglomerates we see today mostly started as mom and pop outfits in (then) backwater US cities like Memphis, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

What we need is to lower interests rates for small businesses. I hear the banks are meeting with a view to slashing rates. Once that is done, we're off.
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by nig2change: 7:37pm On Apr 22, 2013
I must commend your spirit Rossikk. You deserve an award. Though challenges abound Nigeria has every reason to be great soonest. What has been achieved under 2yrs is a testimony. Sure and steady. We will get there. Amen
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by dasparrow: 8:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
@Post

I cannot choose Nigeria over America or vice versa. I have lived in both countries for an extended period of time and I am not truly fond of either country and I will tell you why. America cannot get past her ever prevalent racism that has eaten deep into her psychic and into all facets of her society. It takes away from the quality of life one can enjoy in the USA because racism affects one's social well being and we all know that when your social well being is neglected, it will be almost impossible to enjoy anything else a nation might have to offer. Besides, when you add the constant shooting sprees, constant hurricanes and tornadoes that can leave one homeless in a minute and the American culture of enslaving her citizens and residents in constant debt (mortgage loan, credit card debt, car loan, student loan etc), you come to realize that America is just a facade, a pipe dream, a has-been country and world power riding on her past waves of glory which is now slowly fading.

Nigeria on the other hand has the issue of ever prevalent tribalism. The same way the average American cannot look past your race/ethnicity, the average Nigerian can't see past your tribe and religion. With Nigeria, it get's even more complicated because of the country's epileptic power supply, lack of clean pipe borne water for all, severe corruption that has permeated into all facets of society, gender discrimination, lack of world class universities that are not infested by cultists, a retrogressive archaic culture that leaves Nigerians as a people stagnant, too much greed and obsession with material things, lack of religious tolerance, security challenges, unequal employment opportunities and much more.

So, when all is said and done, I dream of an African country where there are basic amenities for all such as clean pipe borne water for both city and rural dwellers, constant power supply, tolerance and mutual respect among the various tribes/ethnic groups that will make up the country, state of the art research universities, good hospitals and medical access for all, good infrastructure and affordable groceries/food stuffs so people won't go hungry and much more. That is my dream but I wonder if it will ever come to pass because black Africans are generally speaking very divisive and will treat a Caucasian more favorably than their fellow black brothers and sisters. Its a shame.
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 22, 2013
three gbosa for Rossike!

I for one feel very free in lagos. I hear stories of black people being killed in so many parts of the world just becos of their skin colour and i cannot imagine myself passing through the same experience!

Believe it or not, it doesnt cross my mind to go and look for a 'greener pasture'. I do think of going to other countries though. But it is just for tourism and education which will give the chance to experience the lives of other people and therefore, broaden my horizon.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by SmartTalk: 10:14am On Apr 23, 2013
I would rather be Biafran than Nigerian. All the false patriotism we see in posts like this only goes as far as writing but not in the way we act. Let's be honest with ourselves, there is no "Nigerian" fraternity and camaraderie among Nigerians. When we talk of terrorism in the North we say let the Northern leaders handle it, when we talk of loosing Bakassi to Cameroon, many say "as long as my village is not affected, what is my business?" One presenter on radio said something like this, believe it or not. If we are honest with ourselves, we realize that we do not care about our "fellow Nigerians" if he is not from the same ethnic group. This is why when people talk of kidnapping in the South-South or South-East, their approach depends on which side of the fence they are in - if they are from the region, they are concerned, if they are not they speak of the subject with Schandenfreude. The scenario the OP described, if it was not made up, shows that the Nigerian in the conversation was only being defensive. When the same person comes back to Nigeria, they behave and act differently. It is easy to be "patriotic" when you are studying in an expensive school like Yale, go to UNILAG and come and tell me whether you do not want to be American. Besides, I hope this Yale student is not using Nigerian government contract money - it is so difficult to be wealthy in an honest way in a corrupt country.
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by cisplatin: 1:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
Rossikk: Definitely Nigeria over America. Nigeria is the future. If you set up a small company today in Nigeria, and run it according to basic business principles and strategy, that company will grow to be the African Walmart, General Motors, Ford, Apple, IBM, KPMG of 20 to 30 years' time. Your children and grandchildren will inherit a business empire worth millions, and in some cases, billions of dollars.

All projections from major financial analyst houses point to Nigeria being among the top 10 economies of the world by 2050, with annual GDP, currently $370 billion, projected to reach $7.5 TRILLION by 2050. We expect at least a $2 Trillion economy by 2020. This means one thing for YOU - your business will GROW in tandem with the economy. As the economy becomes increasingly sophisticated and world class, so will your business. As it generates more revenue, so will your business. You will become so big, you will be quoted on the London and Beijing exchanges. You will have an R&grin department in your firm, funded with millions of dollars, tasked to develop more and better products.

In many ways, Nigeria is where America was at the turn of the last century - fast growing economy, huge, innovative, well-educated, highly entrepreneural population, generally accountable leadership, and fast growing infrastructure.

These massive US conglomerates we see today mostly started as mom and pop outfits in (then) backwater US cities like Memphis, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

What we need is to lower interests rates for small businesses. I hear the banks are meeting with a view to slashing rates. Once that is done, we're off.

your contribution is thought-provoking. You should find your way to power, and when you do pés don't get corrupt undecided
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by cisplatin: 1:59pm On Apr 23, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

I cannot choose Nigeria over America or vice versa. I have lived in both countries for an extended period of time and I am not truly fond of either country and I will tell you why. America cannot get past her ever prevalent racism that has eaten deep into her psychic and into all facets of her society. It takes away from the quality of life one can enjoy in the USA because racism affects one's social well being and we all know that when your social well being is neglected, it will be almost impossible to enjoy anything else a nation might have to offer. Besides, when you add the constant shooting sprees, constant hurricanes and tornadoes that can leave one homeless in a minute and the American culture of enslaving her citizens and residents in constant debt (mortgage loan, credit card debt, car loan, student loan etc), you come to realize that America is just a facade, a pipe dream, a has-been country and world power riding on her past waves of glory which is now slowly fading.

Nigeria on the other hand has the issue of ever prevalent tribalism. The same way the average American cannot look past your race/ethnicity, the average Nigerian can't see past your tribe and religion. With Nigeria, it get's even more complicated because of the country's epileptic power supply, lack of clean pipe borne water for all, severe corruption that has permeated into all facets of society, gender discrimination, lack of world class universities that are not infested by cultists, a retrogressive archaic culture that leaves Nigerians as a people stagnant, too much greed and obsession with material things, lack of religious tolerance, security challenges, unequal employment opportunities and much more.

So, when all is said and done, I dream of an African country where there are basic amenities for all such as clean pipe borne water for both city and rural dwellers, constant power supply, tolerance and mutual respect among the various tribes/ethnic groups that will make up the country, state of the art research universities, good hospitals and medical access for all, good infrastructure and affordable groceries/food stuffs so people won't go hungry and much more. That is my dream but I wonder if it will ever come to pass because black Africans are generally speaking very divisive and will treat a Caucasian more favorably than their fellow black brothers and sisters. Its a shame.
you have brought a different dimension to the discussion, and that's important. However, Racism and tribalism are similar but not the same. While both are not things we want to experience, I wud think that racism is more socially killing of the two. But let us not derail. Thanks for the points.
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by slimming: 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2013
Yes indeed
Re: Do You Still Believe In Nigeria - Like This...? by vizboy(m): 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
souldust: three gbosa for Rossike!

I for one feel very free in lagos. I hear stories of black people being killed in so many parts of the world just becos of their skin colour and i cannot imagine myself passing through the same experience!

Believe it or not, it doesnt cross my mind to go and look for a 'greener pasture'. I do think of going to other countries though. But it is just for tourism and education which will give the chance to experience the lives of other people and therefore, broaden my horizon.
1000 likes man. I follow share you view any time any day

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Got $3.15 Million To Free French Hostages- PREMIUM TIMES / Promise And Fail: 600 Ex-militants Threaten To Invade National Assembly / Ibrahim Shema On Hardtalk Equivocating On Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.