Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Can Debt Affect A Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Debt Affect A Marriage? (1121 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. / What Is The Worst Thing That Can Happen To A Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by lao(f): 3:13am On Apr 24, 2013
I will like to know if debt can affect a marriage/relationship. The scenario is this, the lady is working and making good money, she does not have any loan or mortgage while the guy just finished his studies with student loan and he has some credit-card debt as well. Although he has a good prospect of getting a job but with the state of the economy right now it is not certain. I will like to know if the lady gets married to the guy will she be incurring some of the debt.
Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by greatgod2012(f): 5:16am On Apr 24, 2013
Can debt affect a marriage? Yes! Its physical as well as pychological, once the mind goes there, it makes the person thinks as a failure and such thought goes a long way in adversely affecting one's mind and eventually one's marriage.

Now to the post, it depends on the lady, if she feels like assisting the guy, she can incur part of the debt, but, if otherwise, it happened before the marriage, she may not want to, no problem about that, but where problem is, is that, it will often affect the guy's mindset and that will not be a good omen in the marriage. I believe in sharing, a problem shared is already solved(my opinion), so, if i were the lady, i will take it as our both burdens and hopefully, it shall get off our shoulder very soonest.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 24, 2013
greatgod2012: Can debt affect a marriage? Yes! Its physical as well as pychological, once the mind goes there, it makes the person thinks as a failure and such thought goes a long way in adversely affecting one's mind and eventually one's marriage.

Now to the post, it depends on the lady, if she feels like assisting the guy, she can incur part of the debt, but, if otherwise, it happened before the marriage, she may not want to, no problem about that, but where problem is, is that, it will often affect the guy's mindset and that will not be a good omen in the marriage. I believe in sharing, a problem shared is already solved(my opinion), so, if i were the lady, i will take it as our both burdens and hopefully, it shall get off our shoulder very soonest.
May God help us all.
I love reading your comments.
Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by biolabee(m): 8:13am On Apr 24, 2013
Yes debt can affect a marriage

I will like to know if the lady gets married to the guy will she be incurring some of the debt.
in the west once you are married, the debt becomes common to the marriage

So what advice do you or your friend need exactly
Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by butta(m): 10:12am On Apr 24, 2013
lao: I will like to know if debt can affect a marriage/relationship. The scenario is this, the lady is working and making good money, she does not have any loan or mortgage while the guy just finished his studies with student loan and he has some credit-card debt as well. Although he has a good prospect of getting a job but with the state of the economy right now it is not certain. I will like to know if the lady gets married to the guy will she be incurring some of the debt.
@op the issue is wat are you afraid of ? are you scared of marrying him because he has a student loan hanging on his neck or you are scared that if u marry him he will become a liability to you at the moment ? Note u are not obligated to incur his debt you can assist if you want to help don't let that be an issue because all I can sense from your post is you seem to like the guy because he has a good propspect of success but you are more concerned about sharing part of his financial debt look missy let me educate you and be honest about this when you are married to a person what do u think that phrase for better for worse means in marriage ? In case u don't know you if you sign the dotted lines in marriage you have decided to be a helper to the man which means you both have agreed to share in each others burden , debt , problems , suffering, success, the good , the bad and the ugly. don't listen to some people here they are full of hogwash going sentimental and feeling sorry for themslves and people and S..h..iiiii..T , op it is ur call u decide ? And yes DEBT DOES AFFECT A MARRIAGE.. And there are lots of solutions in mitigating those debt to a lower minimum so as not to be a major problem in marriage talk to a financial adviser and google as well can help with your questions on debt management. The key is all about planning and sticking to the plan so op please I suggest go ahead with any plans you have with your man and you both should have a financial plan and things will work out
Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by Claus(m): 11:14am On Apr 24, 2013
Debt itself is not really the problem. It's only really a problem if it's symptomatic of bad financial management.

If the guy has got a sound financial head on his shoulders then things should be fine on that front. It looks like responsible debt since it's a student loan, which was used to upgrade his skills (unless the credit card debt is astronomical).

In an age where the world is providing more equal opportunity to both sexes, there will be many cases where the woman is ahead of the man financially. As long as the man has good prospects and financial discipline, the woman providing support for him in a serious relationship/marriage shouldn't be an issue as it is likely to be temporary.
Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by eforce01: 7:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
Here is a post on how to handle finances in marriage

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/03/marriage-and-finances.html
Re: Can Debt Affect A Marriage? by lao(f): 2:05am On Apr 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Brok / First Nairaland Baby Of The Year; Welcome!!!! / 10 Underrated Things That Are Essential For Couples To Be Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.