Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF (10743 Views)

Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC / Photos From Bomb Blast In Baga Fish Market, Borno Scene Of Yesterday / Pictures From The Battle In Baga Against Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by phoneport(m): 5:32am On Apr 24, 2013
Only Six Civilians Were Killed In Baga”, Nigerian Military Says

The Joint Task Force, JTF, in Borno has claimed that only six civilians were killed over the weekend during a gun battle it had with insurgents in Baga community of Borno State.

The JTF said residents’ claims that 185 people were killed during the attack were false.

The Commander of the Task Force, Brigadier General Austin Edokpaye, said in a three- paragraph statement he sent to journalists in Maiduguri, that Baga residents lied when they told the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, that over 2000 houses were burnt down after the attack. He insisted that only some few 30 thatch houses got burnt. Mr. Edokpaye said his troops killed 30 Boko Haram gunmen, while five (5) others were arrested.

He said a soldier died and five others sustained injuries. He said “contrary to media speculation that hundreds of houses were burnt, instead, it was the explosion from Boko Haram Terrorists’ Rocket Propelled Grenade Bombs, Anti Aircraft Guns and sophisticated IED materials that triggered fire to about 30 thatch houses in the predominantly fishing community.”
He said a cache of arms, including three Rocket Propelled Grenade Launchers; two Rocket Propelled Grenades Bombs; four AK 47 Rifles; 435 assorted ammunitions; seven quantities of IED material; and three land cruiser vehicles.

Mr. Edokpaye’s statement not only contradicts that by the residents of Baga, the Red Cross and the Borno State Government, it also contradicts that by military authorities in Abuja. While residents of the town aid they buried 185 corpses, members of the community after the clash, the Red Cross later said the victims increased to 187.
The Borno State Government on Tuesday said ‘over 100 people’ were killed but said it could not ascertain the actual figure until its investigations are completed.

On Monday evening, the Defence Headquarters in Abuja declined to comment on the civilian casualty.
The spokesperson for the Headquarters, Brigadier General Chris Kolade, however, said 25 Boko Haram suspects were killed in clash contrary to Mr. Edokpaye’s claim of 30.

http://news.naij.com/31983.html

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by phoneport(m): 5:48am On Apr 24, 2013
Now we don't really know who is lying,
The military?
The government?
Or civilians.
But innocent lives were lost here, is this what we have become?
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Tolexander: 5:52am On Apr 24, 2013
phoneport: The Joint Task Force, JTF, in Borno has claimed that only six civilians were killed over the weekend during a gun battle it had with insurgents in Baga community of Borno State.
The JTF said residents’ claims that 185 people were killed during the attack were false.
The Commander of the Task Force, Brigadier General Austin Edokpaye, said in a three- paragraph statement he sent to journalists in Maiduguri, that Baga residents lied when they told the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, that over 2000 houses were burnt down after the attack. He insisted that only some few 30 thatch houses got burnt. Mr. Edokpaye said his troops killed 30 Boko Haram gunmen, while five (5) others were
arrested.
He said a soldier died and five others sustained injuries. He said “contrary to media speculation that hundreds of houses were burnt, instead, it was the explosion from Boko Haram Terrorists’ Rocket Propelled Grenade Bombs, Anti Aircraft Guns and sophisticated IED materials that triggered fire to about 30 thatch houses in the predominantly fishing community.”
He said a cache of arms, including three Rocket Propelled Grenade Launchers; two Rocket Propelled Grenades Bombs; four AK 47 Rifles; 435 assorted ammunitions; seven quantities of IED material; and three land cruiser vehicles.

Mr. Edokpaye’s statement not only contradicts that by the residents of Baga, the Red Cross and the Borno State Government, it also contradicts that by military authorities in Abuja. While residents of the town aid they buried 185 corpses, members of the community after the clash, the Red Cross later said the victims increased to 187.
The Borno State Government on Tuesday said ‘over 100 people’ were killed but said it could not ascertain the actual figure until its investigations are completed.

On Monday evening, the Defence Headquarters in Abuja declined to comment on the civilian casualty.
The spokesperson for the Headquarters, Brigadier General Chris Kolade, however, said 25 Boko Haram suspects were killed in clash contrary to Mr. Edokpaye’s
claim of 30.
source please?
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by ITbomb(m): 6:53am On Apr 24, 2013
Dem even try to say na 8 dem kill, if na police dem for deny say nobody die and even produce suspects with heavy machine guns for u

3 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by martyns303(m): 7:31am On Apr 24, 2013
six is "only"?

5 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:30am On Apr 24, 2013
Well, they can wipe off the north for all i care!
These guys knw wo these BH are and they kept mute like they dnt knw.
These dudes are someone's husbands and relatives, they just decided not to point them out!

And wen d JTF shoots a town down, they will always cry 'civilian'.

Kill them all!!!!!!
I repeat: kill them all!!!!
Over and out to my peppersoup joint!

12 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by lacasa: 8:56am On Apr 24, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Well, they can wipe off the north for all i care!
These dudes are someone's husbands and relatives, they just decided not to point them out!

Kill them all!!!!!!

Illiteracy they say is worse than the plague undecided

10 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by FulaniBOII(m): 8:57am On Apr 24, 2013

Kill them all!!!!!!
pathetic. "What you do not wish for yourself, do not wish for others."

6 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by churific(m): 8:59am On Apr 24, 2013
It doesn't matter how many people were killed. 1 civilian death is simply 1 too many. We need to start giving life it's proper value.

We are so used to news of of death that we have become de-stigmatized by it. Enough is enough.

LIFE is more important than anything else!

6 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 24, 2013
am still waiting for the time when arrested insurgents would be placed on trial in the court of law. coz it seems the JTF canot make an account of those they've arrested.
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by lacasa: 9:00am On Apr 24, 2013
Typical Nigerian soldiers, only time they can do anything is against unarmed people.

No wonder they r only performing check-point duty in Mali angry

Even congolese rebels are better trained than Nigerian army

2 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 24, 2013
[size=13pt]Only six civilians? That's six civilians too many.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Monzuur(m): 9:01am On Apr 24, 2013
Sayin only six died.....are those six mosquitoes?even if only 1 died no b person?foools!!......tired of dis Nation but i no get money i 4 go ghana or south africa
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by dammytosh: 9:01am On Apr 24, 2013
Those residents and 'Red cross' are liars and Boko haram Apologists.

Why rush to bury them without picture or a video to do a count.

Also, why will you allow Boko Haram members to use your residence as hide out ?

22 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Mayany(m): 9:01am On Apr 24, 2013
JTF we don hear and I bulieve una pass those harbouring terrorist enuff of dis BH hide and seek game joor..
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by tspun(m): 9:02am On Apr 24, 2013
Bleep d number of victims. We are tired of hearin all dis trash. Fish those dogs out. If na to go liberia or mali for peace keeping mission ona go day smart.
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 24, 2013

Kill them all!!!!!!

I support. Kill all the furrkin beast.

2 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Cheggoon(m): 9:03am On Apr 24, 2013
We N̸O̸ even kw who D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ lie amonge them......but ђã†̥ ​​​​‎​Ȋ̝̊ kw ßέ say innocent pple die.....
9ja needs God's intervetion...
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Samuel200: 9:03am On Apr 24, 2013
God save us in nigeria
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by 50calibre(m): 9:03am On Apr 24, 2013
All lives are not worth the same. 6 lives of terrorists or terrorist harbouring civilians put together, are not worth more than that of a ram.

1 Like

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by BrutusOj(m): 9:05am On Apr 24, 2013
Keep up the good work MTF or JTF..come for amnesty,de idiots say NO,stop d bombing,de cowards say NO.what else do we xpct d security to do?watch de devils destroy inocent lifes?.Any body stayin in de so called Baga village or what ever is not inocent in anyway,cos de r all informants to Boko Haram,nemesis just caught up wit dem....

4 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by lifestyle1(m): 9:05am On Apr 24, 2013
WHAT A PITY, HUMAN LIFE NO GET VALUE AGAIN... undecided
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by ajasbaba(m): 9:06am On Apr 24, 2013
PLS CAN YOU GIVE ME A SOURCES OF YOUR NEWS

DO YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST TYPE NONSENSE HERE
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by ichommy(m): 9:06am On Apr 24, 2013
Who is fooling who?
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Osuman(m): 9:07am On Apr 24, 2013
they should stop harbouring those Mafias called boko haram, is not good for them.
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 24, 2013
There is no conflict here. The Nigerian Army is a Nigerian Institution and any information from such institution should be respected, atleast until there are CONCRETE evidence to suggest otherwise. It is unfair to dispute casuality figures emanating from the Nigerian Army. The Borno people have always been anti-JTF and pro-boko haram. Consequently, casuality figures and allegations from the people should be properly investigated as they are unreliable.

5 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by buoye1(m): 9:08am On Apr 24, 2013
70*186 Virgins.................No b small o
Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by Azone: 9:10am On Apr 24, 2013
Yes it is wrong to kill, but Nigerians seems to forget so soon.. Odi in Bayelsa, similar case happened if not for Timaya am sure many of u did not hear about it.

My point is let us not be sentimental in our approach to this killings, have u forgotten Malada bombing, churches in Borno and Abuja. Did any of u say then 1 civilian is one to many.

They are all collateral Damage, Nigeria needs tough hands like dis...

5 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by papaejima1: 9:12am On Apr 24, 2013
Nigerian Media are just Armchair and proxy reporters.
Always spewing trash but without guts to go after the news.

If you want the truth, then do what serious media organizations do,-Get embedded into the combatants. Either embed into boko haram grin or JTF lipsrsealed
That way we can be sure of the accuracy of the reports.

If you can't do that then, just tell d world that ur media organization can be described in two words "A Blog"

3 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:14am On Apr 24, 2013
lacasa:

Illiteracy they say is worse than the plague undecided
i hope dt aint mine? Cos if it was, then u u are an idiott!!!
Who else is an illiterate, if not for a fool like u are ur cry babies who doesn't undstnd d power in information!
Investigation is not 'witchcraftcy' they need the peoples support, and if they chose to hoard it, it's nobody's problem!

Did u think the police in Boston used d art of witchcraft to apprehend the second bomber?

7 Likes

Re: Only 6 Civilians Were Killed In Baga - JTF by tellwisdom: 9:15am On Apr 24, 2013
By the time noOne is left in the north, their senses will come to BE...Let them continue Bokoting & Haraming angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku Meets Ghanaian President, Akufo-addo / Court Rules On Ipob’s Motion Against Proscription Jan 17 / Governor El-rufai Receives Chieftaincy Title In Southern Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.