Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,763 members, 7,831,450 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! (1494 Views)

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages / NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! by nenergy(m): 11:32am On Apr 25, 2013
The Mobile Number Portability is not an entirely new concept. It was launched in Hong Kong in 1999, Australia in 2001, Italy in 2002, USA in 2003, South Africa in 2006, Canada 2007, Egypt 2008, Brazil 2008, Dominican Republic 2009, India 2011, Ghana 2011, and Chile 2012.
(info: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_number_portability)

So the MNP has finally reached Nigeria, but like many other Global initiatives, it might not exactly work as planned due to certain variables/ dynamics peculiar to Nigeria. Ever wondered what happened to the phone boots in the days before the GSM?
I have given MNP some thought and i have come up with certain reason i think it won’t achieve the level of usage people anticipate.
1. Access to SIM Cards is too easy: Unlike in other countries like South Africa where you have to fill out a form and sign a contract before getting a sim, Nigerians pick up SIMs easily without any form of documentation for just N100. The result is multiple sim ownership. Only teenagers and the elderly have only one sim. Most adults have 2 SIMS and some have 2 SIMs from the same service provider (1 for call/sms, another for data).

2. Dual-Sim mobile phones are a huge success in Nigeria: Dual-Sim mobile phones further facilitated the need for multiple sim card ownership. Remember Techno Trinity? It’s a Tri sim phone, and it sold like pure water when it came out 2 years ago. Plus MTN came out with 2-in-1 and 4-in-1 sims for N100 further flooding the market with more sims..

3. Illiteracy: The level of Illiteracy is still high in Nigeria: By Illiteracy, i don’t mean just the inability to read, i also mean ‘technological Illiteracy’. When someone is ignorant, they pretty much would like to stick to what they known and will be resistant to any form of change. It’s been 2 years since sim registration started, yet many subscribers are not yet registered or properly registered and many are reluctant to register their sim.

4. Nigerians are not patient and don’t like stress: The fact that the process involves going to the service provider’s office or outlet will be a big ‘put off’ for many subscribers. Many will keep procrastinating till they eventually give up the idea to ‘PORT’.

The kind of people most likely to ‘PORT’ their numbers:
Please keep in Mind that all service providers have service/geographical strengths and weakness. i.e MTN internet is strong in Ikeja and weak in Ayobo, Glo Modems are rocking in Oshodi, but dead in Ikotun; all locations in Lagos.
1. Those who own only one sim and cherish their numbers and have profound hatred for their current service provider due to poor services.
2. Those who own only two sims, have a dual sim phone or two single-sim phones, cherish their numbers and have always wished for another number/network due to profound hatred for one their current service provider due to poor services.
3. Those who have 2 sims from the same service provider, who use them for voice/sms and data and will like to switch the service provider of one of the sims. E.g data sim to another network
4. FOC (Awoof) lovers who bought the MTN 2-1n-1 or 4-1n-1 sims. They will likely ‘PORT’ one or more of these numbers to other service providers.

Problems the MNP will cause:
1. Due to Nigerian’s Lack of adequate preparation and pre-testing, the first set of subscribers to ‘PORT’ will experience serious wahala. (No network signal, inability make calls or send sms, billing issue etc)
2. Many subscribers will experience reduced number of calls to their lines. So you ‘PORTED’ your number from MTN to Glo and you expect me to still call you like before? OYO lo wa!
3. The customer care lines of all service providers will be flooded with complaints of overcharging. How do you explain to a grand-mother than calling her grand-son now costs N18/min instead of N6/min?
The MNP will work, but not has anticipated. I have all 4 GSM networks sims, but use 3 per time (1 Dual-sim and 1 single-sim phone), so tell me where will i ‘PORT’ to?

I no PORT o, I no PORT o…. I no PORT to anywhere e……..kirikata.. kirikata.. kirikata!!!!!*dancing saka style*

1 Like

Re: Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! by doctimothy: 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2013
Hehehe! My case is the same as your o! I no port to anywhere.... cheesy
Re: Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! by Joshcoli(m): 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
First to comment.... Kirikata kirikata kirikata... but I can not categorically say anything now.... Daz all
Re: Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! by nenergy(m): 12:57pm On Apr 25, 2013
Comments pulled from a related post to buttress my points
-What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability-https://www.nairaland.com/1268233/what-need-know-mobile-number-portability/3#15412856

Prince0500: No network worth dis rigorious exercise.
Impatient and hatred for stress.lol

milar: i still prefer to use my chinco phone wt 3 sims. Portin makes no sense
Multiple sim ownership on point. #Tri-simPhones

Tunjman: With Four SIM China phone, you're as good as porting...Abeg, no time to check time!
Multiple sim ownership + impatience.lol

Ridiy: I'll rather buy 2 dual sim fones nd ve all d 4lines in it.....shikena!!!
i no PORT o!

3ace: I envisage people getting angry after hanging up as a result of this development. Imagine you calling a family and friends MTN number thinking you will be charged N6 per minute but unknown to you, the owner of that line has ported to ETISALAT. Omo, no be small thing o. grin
wahala dey!
Re: Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! by techbachelor: 1:04pm On Apr 25, 2013
You don port? Telco portability fight to serious o!! What network will you port to? Guys checkout this short survey
Mobile Number Portability Survey | tech360ng http:///ZQvXaw
Re: Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! by strangest(m): 5:47pm On May 23, 2013
Why port while you can get a good china phone that supports three sim card and worry less... How do you intend to know which network is better at a specific area

(1) (Reply)

Can Etisalat P3 Be Network Unlocked? / Mtn Nigeria Have Blocked Youtube On There Network / Bbm For Android Finally Leaked-download Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.