Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Top Ten Facts About Diabetes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Top Ten Facts About Diabetes (18985 Views)

Attention!! Vital notes to know about Diabetes. / Jahzha / Lets Talk About Diabetes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by ilelabola(m): 3:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
1. Diabetes is a silent epidemic and according to WHO there are 246 million people in the world living with diabetes . This is almost 6% ofthe world's adult population.
2. Diabetes in Asians is five times the rate of the white population
3. India is the diabetes capital of the world. It is estimated that currently there are 40 million people with diabetes in India and by2025 this number will swell to 70 million. This would mean every fifth diabetic in the world would be an Indian.
4.Central obesity or apple shape of the body and insulin resistance is the main reason for diabetes increase in Indians
5. Diabetes causes 6 deaths every minute and one in 20 deaths in the world is due to the condition. Every year it is estimated that 3.2 million people in the world die due to the diabetes or its related causes.
6. Diabetes is an important 'silent killer disease' as there is usually no early symptom of the disease. The commonest early symptom is feeling thirsty
7. Almost 90 to 95% of diabetes is of type 2 or maturity onset type; that affects people in their middle age. Type 1 or juvenile diabetes affects 70,000 children under the age of 15 years every year.
8. The major cause of increase in theincidence of diabetes is a sedentary lifestyle . Exercise and diet can either reduce or delay the incidence of diabetes by over 50%.
9. Diabetes is the number one cause of kidney failure in the world. Besides this every year it is responsible for 5% or 5 million blindness in adults and one million limb amputations. Diabetes is also an important cause of heart disease,stroke and cataract.
10. The current cost of treating diabetes and its complications in theworld is estimated as US $ 215-375 billion . The disease is growing fastest in developing countries where there are more people in the lower and middle-income group ******* www.fb.com/basicknowledgeandwisdom

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by lanrei(m): 6:10pm On Apr 25, 2013
Educatn tnks:-)
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by fpeter(f): 11:58am On Apr 26, 2013
ok

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Okijajuju1(m): 11:59am On Apr 26, 2013
good
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by dridowu: 12:05pm On Apr 26, 2013
Educative
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by ebamma(m): 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2013
Lets giveThanks to dangote sugar

4 Likes

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by eazysally: 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2013
Am not okey with number 6, how can something be important and is still a 'silent killer disease'
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by RPGlauncher: 12:07pm On Apr 26, 2013
Oh dear!
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by everyday: 12:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
Wow that's a lot pf people affected
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by strangest(m): 12:09pm On Apr 26, 2013
Just lost a friend to one... still have the tears in my eyes...

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by 1shortblackboy: 12:11pm On Apr 26, 2013
eazysally: Am not okey with number 6, how can something be important and is still a 'silent killer disease'
huh

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:26pm On Apr 26, 2013
Sighs!
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Raiders: 12:29pm On Apr 26, 2013
Diabetes has killed a lot Nigerians
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Nobody: 12:30pm On Apr 26, 2013
When does it kill...I mean at what age can it kill?
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by alienware(m): 12:34pm On Apr 26, 2013
ebamma: Lets giveThanks to dangote sugar
u think say that sugar dey cause am ? It stems from paucity of pancrea.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by GentleNaaz(m): 12:38pm On Apr 26, 2013
lanrei: Educatn tnks:-)
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by ilelabola(m): 12:44pm On Apr 26, 2013
Pls make sure that u check ur blood sugar level before is too late

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by StepG: 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2013
ilelabola: 1. Diabetes is a silent epidemic and according to WHO there are 246 million people in the world living with diabetes . This is almost 6% ofthe world's adult population.
2. Diabetes in Asians is five times the rate of the white population
3. India is the diabetes capital of the world. It is estimated that currently there are 40 million people with diabetes in India and by2025 this number will swell to 70 million. This would mean every fifth diabetic in the world would be an Indian.
4.Central obesity or apple shape of the body and insulin resistance is the main reason for diabetes increase in Indians
5. Diabetes causes 6 deaths every minute and one in 20 deaths in the world is due to the condition. Every year it is estimated that 3.2 million people in the world die due to the diabetes or its related causes.
6. Diabetes is an important 'silent killer disease' as there is usually no early symptom of the disease. The commonest early symptom is feeling thirsty
7. Almost 90 to 95% of diabetes is of type 2 or maturity onset type; that affects people in their middle age. Type 1 or juvenile diabetes affects 70,000 children under the age of 15 years every year.
8. The major cause of increase in theincidence of diabetes is a sedentary lifestyle . Exercise and diet can either reduce or delay the incidence of diabetes by over 50%.
9. Diabetes is the number one cause of kidney failure in the world. Besides this every year it is responsible for 5% or 5 million blindness in adults and one million limb amputations. Diabetes is also an important cause of heart disease,stroke and cataract.
10. The current cost of treating diabetes and its complications in theworld is estimated as US $ 215-375 billion . The disease is growing fastest in developing countries where there are more people in the lower and middle-income group ******* www.fb.com/basicknowledgeandwisdom
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by 7508: 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2013
I am so happy that this thread was put on the front page. Diabetes is real and like the argument i had with my mum just this yesterday, once diabetes takes hold, there is no cure but just to manage the disesase o. She thinks there is a cure. there isn't o

In the uk here, food that contributes to early onset of diabetes are usually the ones you would find on BOGOF deals or on the cheap shelves and combined with mega lax lifestyles with little to no activity!, the combo is fatal.

I recently lost my great aunt and my second cousin (both in naija) within 3 months to it and that prompted me to get bloodtests done (thankfully im ok) but my people, abeg take note.

I have a friend who is (hopefully was) addicted to maryland cookies (about 5-10 packs a day, no word of a lie) and although he no fat,I told him he was playing with fire.

Another chic like that who drinks litre coke with every meal she has anjd would always complain that she was tired and thirsty, so what would she do to quench her thirst,drink more coke!.

How about one of my guy from work who demolished a 12 pack of krispy kreme donuts in one afternoon (haba!), when i showed all of them the stats of the disease,It scared them silly and now they are thinking twice now.

If you love your life and your freedom from dialysis, high insurance costs, kidney transplants, a lifetime of daily insulin injections, drugs with side effects, amputations, wounds and ulcers that never heal, orisirisi cancers. blindness... etc, then people, take it easy.

5 Likes

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by GentleNaaz(m): 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2013
11. Diabetes is caused by inability of d pancreatic gland 2 secret hormone(insulin) which converts excess sugar in d blood 2 glycogen(its storage form); nt excessive sugar intake(wt few exception)
12. Type 2 diabetes develops gradually within 10yrs after d individual has messed up d body system due 2 inadequate sleeping, constant stress, poor nutrion, toxicity, etc.
13. Type 2 diabetes can b prevented by d following;
a. Sleeping atleast 9 hours per day
b. Eating dinner before 7pm
c. Adequate nutrition
d. Relaxation wn stressed
c. Exercise atleast 1hr per day per 5 days per week
e. Lower intake of sugar

7 Likes

Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by badesco(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2013
Thanks for info and God bless you.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by amolefemi(m): 1:17pm On Apr 26, 2013
What then can one use to prevent this so called killer disease? And same time, if one has, what can be taken to treat it?
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by raiszy2k(m): 1:17pm On Apr 26, 2013
Who is this diabetes again nah!!?
??
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by pat077: 1:32pm On Apr 26, 2013
u're tellin us ten fact about diabetes without tellin us hw 2 prevent it or proffering solution. And, i wanna know if a youth can ve diabetes.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
That's why I got my blood test done two days ago, as scared as hell when.....

No history of diabetes in my family, but it doesn't hurt to be too careful.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Ejine(m): 2:31pm On Apr 26, 2013
The diabetes in Houston, Texas is mind-shattering too. You need to visit that place sha.

@OP - Thanks for the lovely info.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Ejine(m): 2:32pm On Apr 26, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
That's why I got my blood test done two days ago, as scared as hell when.....

No history of diabetes in my family, but it doesn't hurt to be too careful.

Did the black ring appear on your neck?
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by chukxie(m): 2:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
Dear OP, thanks for this very educative thread. I've learnt a few things which i hope to imbibe into my life. Thanks.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by vision2050: 2:58pm On Apr 26, 2013
Control and Prevention??
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 26, 2013
Ejiné:

Did the black ring appear on your neck?

No, but I saw it listed as a symptom while doing my Google research.
Some other symptoms occurred, but my doctor confirmed hat it was due to my change in diet; vegetables, spinach, brown rice etc.
I know my body and I pay attention to every change.

Ejiné: The diabetes in Houston, Texas is mind-shattering too. You need to visit that place sha.

@OP - Thanks for the lovely info.
I doubt they're Nigerians. I've yet to meet Nigerians with diabetes.
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by AtheistD(m): 3:13pm On Apr 26, 2013
@ OP

What are the early signs of diabetes? Any blood sugar level stats that might be useful?
Re: Top Ten Facts About Diabetes by Mojibola(m): 3:20pm On Apr 26, 2013
Good thing i hav a solution to diabetes...incase yu need it...contact me jiblo_festus@live.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From ASCI Borehole Commissioning In Abuja / Do You Smoke Shisha? - It Will Destroy You Faster Than Cigarette - Medical Exper / Resident Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike On June 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.