Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? (8795 Views)

Poll: Majority of Igbo Men Marry At Age Bracket 25,30,35,40

Yes b/w 20 & 35: 35% (5 votes)
No b/w 35 & 40: 64% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

14 Things You Need To Teach Your Child(ren) At Early Stage. / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Maykelly(f): 12:58pm On Apr 12, 2008
Am wondering why Igbo Men hate to marry in good time. Is it that they prefer money, house, wealth than having a wife? Please can somebody tell me why?
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by donbuchi1(m): 1:16pm On Apr 12, 2008
Are you been approached by any about that age bracket? EH!!!!
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by echelon(m): 1:18pm On Apr 12, 2008
The average Igbo guy wants to "arrive" first before marrying. By that I mean buy a car, build a house, and have a fledging enterprise running before getting into marriage. These days they marry around age 30 and not 45/ 50/ 60 yrs
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by lucabrasi(m): 8:52pm On Apr 12, 2008
its not their fault,its a known fact that marying from ibo land is a massive capital intensive project and these guys need to make enough money first for the whole wedding proces and then taking care of the family
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 12, 2008
It's not their culture. But there's a truth in it that they tend to marry later than any other Nigerian ethnicity, moreover your age bracket estimation is over the top.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by SamMilla1(m): 1:13am On Apr 13, 2008
@poster,
Did you also notice that igbo people are the least in divorce cases, They believe in being able to take care of their wives before marrying them. Average igbo guy does not depend on his fathers house or wealth. They want to build their own houses before getting married. I don't say this is right or wrong but i believe that marriage is not what you jump into because you love a girl or a boy, Besides why are other tribes not marrying at 12 or 13,

MY FATHER MARRIED AT 23 AND HE IS IGBO
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Maykelly(f): 12:11pm On Apr 14, 2008
SAM MILLA:

@poster,
Did you also notice that igbo people are the least in divorce cases, They believe in being able to take care of their wives before marrying them. Average igbo guy does not depend on his fathers house or wealth. They want to build their own houses before getting married. I don't say this is right or wrong but i believe that marriage is not what you jump into because you love a girl or a boy, Besides why are other tribes not marrying at 12 or 13,
MY FATHER MARRIED AT 23 AND HE IS IGBO

Yes your father married, what about you. Igbo do not have the least in divorce case, where did you get that statistics from?

OMO IBO:

as an igbo boy, i've never really taken note of this trend. i thought everyone got married when they are ready and not when the material things are in place. if it so happens to be in the 30's, 40's and 50's then so be it

So be it. exactly what we are talking about, so why should it be? is it right?

echelon:

The average Igbo guy wants to "arrive" first before marrying. By that I mean buy a car, build a house, and have a fledging enterprise running before getting into marriage. These days they marry around age 30 and not 45/ 50/ 60 years

No, They don't marrry around 30 nor 35 but from 43 and above
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by echelon(m): 1:09pm On Apr 14, 2008
May kelly:

Oh really? Well how did you come up with that? How can you be so exact at 43? Is it that you know one person that married at 43 and you are now generalizing? My last three cousins that married were less than 34 before marriage.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by tboy1(m): 1:18pm On Apr 14, 2008
I was going 2 say the same thing. Although i'm not igbo i have gone to at least 7 igbo weddings and i believe the age range was around 27 - 34 for the husbands

@Poster

U might probably know maybe 1 or 2 ppl dat got married @ dat age, dat does not mean you should generalize the whole igbo tribe.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Maykelly(f): 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2008
tboy1:

I was going 2 say the same thing. Although i'm not igbo i have gone to at least 7 igbo weddings and i believe the age range was around 27 - 34 for the husbands
@Poster
You might probably know maybe 1 or 2 people that got married @ that age, that does not mean you should generalize the whole igbo tribe.

i guess it was only those 2 people that you know in Igbo land. And how did agree you asscertain that their age were b/w 27 and 34. or did you dicovered that on their faces or did they printed it on their wedding card, common you don't know anything about the igbo men and their late marriage stuff.

echelon:

Oh really? Well how did you come up with that? How can you be so exact at 43? Is it that you know one person that married at 43 and you are now generalizing? My last three cousins that married were less than 34 before marriage.

If truely you want to tell yourself the truth and keep away this your sentiments; truely the age brackets i 45,50 even 60 is correct

OMO IBO:

u seem bitter about something? did your boy friend tell u he has to make some money before taking u to the alter?

You are dirty inside and outside. shame to you for keeping a girl friend because surely the pit of hell is waiting for you. You seem to be angry because I have touch that part you wouldn't want people to know about.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2008
I don't see any need to go defensive, May kelly undecided
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Kashif(m): 6:01pm On Apr 14, 2008
May kelly:

i guess it was only those 2 people that you know in Igbo land. And how did agree you asscertain that their age were b/w 27 and 34. or did you dicovered that on their faces or did they printed it on their wedding card, common you don't know anything about the igbo men and their late marriage stuff.

If truely you want to tell yourself the truth and keep away this your sentiments; truely the age brackets i 45,50 even 60 is correct

You are dirty inside and outside. shame to you for keeping a girl friend because surely the pit of hell is waiting for you. You seem to be angry because I have touch that part you wouldn't want people to know about.

There are probably things you have not told us and until we are told those, we (especially me) will remain shocked at your outburst. shocked

We should always try to avoid making permanent decisions on temporal situations. wink
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by ebelegirl(f): 8:29pm On Apr 14, 2008
OMO IBO:

u seem bitter about something? did your boy friend tell u he has to make some money before taking u to the alter?

LOL I was thinking the same thing. @ Poster, where did u come up with a random as hell # such as 43! LOL, I am Igbo and I have been to many Igbo weddings and NONE have been that age, Oh I guess they were not included in the sample size for your accurate and in depth research,
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 9:20pm On Apr 14, 2008
Lol. . . na wa for WAEC o. . . somebody is not telling us the full story grin grin She just goes gangtsa-chow-pow on anyone that truncates her 'impeccable' age range 'research'. lipsrsealed
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 9:29pm On Apr 14, 2008
May kelly:

Yes your father married, what about you. Igbo do not have the least in divorce case, where did you get that statistics from?

So be it. exactly what we are talking about, so why should it be? is it right?

I am not sure what else you'd like to hear/see, considering you've been given the most obvious/reasonable answers. Perhaps you want somebody to confirm your research, no? Unfortunately, there won't be such confirmation because the marriage age range for Igbo men that you want to push down our throats is not anywhere near the truth.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 14, 2008
Igbo this Igbo that.
The average age of marriage amongst nigerian men nowadays is 34 or thereabout.
It cuts across.
We have a poster out to make a  stupid and baseless point.
The topic said Igbo men marry at 45,50 60 and also she says the average is 43 shocked shocked
let's hear her out.
I'm sure she has a father who by her estimation must be in his mid eighties to nineties.

If she has a 60 year old Igbo suitor all she needs to do is turn him down not make false generalization.
It's not by force to marry sef.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 9:52pm On Apr 14, 2008
nwando:

Igbo this Igbo that.
The average age of marriage amongst nigerian men nowadays is 34 or thereabout.
It cuts across.
We have a poster out to make a stupid and baseless point.
The topic said Igbo men marry at 45,50 60 and also she says the average is 43 shocked shocked
let's hear her out.
I'm sure she has a father who by her estimation must be in his mid eighties to nineties.

If she has a 60 year old Igbo suitor all she needs to do is turn him down not make false generalization.
It's not by force to marry sef.

grin grin grin I wonder o. Could it be that somebody was approached by a 60 yr old Igbo 'bachelor' who was actually hunting for a second wife since Mama Augustina has gone all flabby? lipsrsealed I think we can provide the right answer if the poster can tell us that hidden story. . . or at least 0.9% of the hidden story. undecided
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Zandra1(f): 1:35am On Apr 15, 2008
Buhehe cheesy cheesy , 45 to 60 years kwa. O di egwu ooo.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Maykelly(f): 11:26am On Apr 15, 2008
@OMO IBO, nwando, grafikdon, Kashif
You all are something else. How could you people tell lie this length. anyway those who will tell them the truth are yet to post. Yoruba and hausa are the ones that marry at twenties and thrities. If an Igbo man say is age is 30 defintely he is beyond that, and when he said 34 surely he is beyond that as well/ or should i invite the hausas and the yorubas to help explain to you all. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 1:35pm On Apr 15, 2008
May kelly:

@OMO IBO, nwando, grafikdon, Kashif
You all are something else. How could you people tell lie this length. anyway those who will tell them the truth are yet to post. Yoruba and hausa are the ones that marry at twenties and thrities. If an Igbo man say is age is 30 defintely he is beyond that, and when he said 34 surely he is beyond that as well/ or should i invite the hausas and the yorubas to help explain to you all. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ndo. . . sorry . . . kpele . . . . Like you were advised, all you had to say was 'NO' to the 60(49) yr old Igbo suitor. . . not by force my sister. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin grin
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by earthrealm(m): 2:50pm On Apr 15, 2008
the poster may hv a point, but i think her ave age of 40/50/60 are way outta line,
btw 29 n 35 is the norm, n this is cos in ibo land, b4 a young man decides/tells his people that he wants to marrry, he must hv weighed his pocket well well, cos he doesnt expect any/much help 4rm his family, its generally belived in ibo land that u shud be able 2 pay the piper, if u wanna hear him play!!! shocked

this is unlike the yorubas who encourage theri sons 2 marry early, even in final yr/nysc level, n u see them supporting the guy financially n otherwise,

each of these has its advantages n disadvantages, i aint supporting or against either,

but i blv that b4 u dream of getting married, u shud hv basic stuff, like a house, whether rented or ur own n a means of livelihood, a car is optional, but 4 urs truly, its a must cheesy
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by londoner: 7:21pm On Apr 15, 2008
OP, why are you getting so hot under the collar? People have their own opinions on the matter, they obviously have not experienced what you assert is supposedly the norm among Igbo men. I have to say, that I have never been to an Igbo wedding where the groom was over 40, all in their thirties, but I wont say they dont happen.

Anyhoo, I agree that many expect a man who says he wants to marry to be settled or even accomplished in other areas of his life first. He is assuming some responsibilty by getting married.

In this day and age, I think many cultures around the world are seeing later marriages.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by romeo(m): 4:46pm On Apr 20, 2008
At what age did your family members got married? i know you are igbo.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Maykelly(f): 4:44pm On Apr 22, 2008
romeo:

At what age did your family members got married? i know you are igbo.

How dare you. Who told you am ibo. do not ever mention that again, you hear me so be warned!
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by romeo(m): 4:56pm On Apr 22, 2008
May kelly:

How dare you. Who told you am ibo. do not ever mention that again, you hear me so be warned!

You're a dumb idiot!! why are you so interested in igbo men and their age? ewu!!
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Mortiple(m): 5:19pm On Apr 22, 2008
"Igbo Men Marry Late At Age Bracket (45,50,60)" , and so what? Whose business? Ours (I mean Ndigbo) of course! So, @poster, how does this concern you? See trouble see me o! You are a hired mourner, that cries more than the bereaved.

May kelly:

You so hate Igbos yet you made a 'conclusive' research on their lifestyle. I take it to mean that you don't know what to do with your time. Please get busy!
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by naijadiva2(f): 5:26pm On Apr 22, 2008
@topic

well the men i see marrying at that ages are usually on their 2nd and 3rd wife.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by nwandolina(f): 11:04pm On Apr 22, 2008
naija_diva:

@topic

well the men i see marrying at that ages are usually on their 2nd and 3rd wife.

no according to May kelly who's Igbo
Her dad got married at 60 and her suitors are 60 grin
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 12:51am On Apr 23, 2008
nwandolina:

Is this Nwando Nwando? Don't tell me them don ban you. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 12:56am On Apr 23, 2008
May kelly:

shocked shocked shocked Chineke God of Saudi Arabia! May Kelly, this ya bitterness no get part 2. Chai! My sista, chill out o, it ain't that serious. A cold glass of Otapiapia will quench your thirst. grin grin
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by Maykelly(f): 11:38am On Apr 23, 2008
romeo:

You're a dumb idiot!! why are you so interested in igbo men and their age? ewu!!

Ewu Igbo like you. Nna muru Aturu. ZOBIE Hausa. Monkey Yoruba and BABA DUDU. cool

Mortiple:

"Igbo Men Marry Late At Age Bracket (45,50,60)" , and so what? Whose business? Ours (I mean Ndigbo) of course! So, @poster, how does this concern you? See trouble see me o! You are a hired mourner, that cries more than the bereaved.
You so hate Igbos yet you made a 'conclusive' research on their lifestyle. I take it to mean that you don't know what to do with your time. Please get busy!

AFO di kwa gi ni ime. Bizy body get lost!!!!!!! grin grin

nwandolina:

How dare you call my sweet dad, anyway the same goes to you; I don't think your father knows where he was born, your mother was a present to him after many years of serving.

grafikdon:

shocked shocked shocked Chineke God of Saudi Arabia! May Kelly, this ya bitterness no get part 2. Chai! My sista, chill out o, it ain't that serious. A cold glass of Otapiapia will quench your thirst. grin grin

By their fruits you shall know them, Indeed your a killer. Osamin Bin - Laden. You are a terriost. Otapiapia will quench you one day.

i mean why are some of the igbos so stupid. Just a question: Why do igbo men marry late at age of 45,50,60 even in the grave self they will still want to marry, eh! my brother just question oh. if you don't know what to say close your mouth and do not abuse your self.
Re: Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? by grafikdon: 1:32pm On Apr 23, 2008
May kelly:

i mean why are some of the igbos so stupid. Just a question: Why do igbo men marry late at age of 45,50,60 even in the grave self they will still want to marry, eh! my brother just question oh. if you don't know what to say close your mouth and do not abuse your self.

grin grin ''Just a question" eh? Lol. . . I see you're trying so hard to be the 'victim' instead of the 'Crusader' you obviously are. People gave you honest answers in the beginning but all you did was plaster them with inflammatory remarks. You vehemently rejected every input that it is the norm for them to marry from age 35, instead you asserted that it is the norm for Igbo men to marry at the age of 45, anything less than than is pure fantasy and unfounded. How can anyone give you answers when all you want to do is listen to your own voice?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Are The Illushi People? / Please Yoruba People Help Me With This Word In Meaning / Marriage And Divorce Culture In Igbo Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.