Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,350 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Great African Women In History - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Great African Women In History (19389 Views)

Arab Asylum Seekers Rape Scores Of Women In Germany On New Years Eve / Happy Women's Day To All Women In This Forum / French Police Beat And Drag African Women And There Babies(video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 2:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
sholay2011: Where is our Efunsetan Aniwura, Iyalode Ibadan

Dat woman badt gan grin

solomon111: who the hell is she?
What did she contribute to Africa?

I believe she was quite controversial, and opinions about her are quite strong. But Ileke saw a movie, and loves her like wow! So, we all have to let Ileke be o. No be me go tell her NO. cheesy

PAGAN 9JA:
yes bring on Queen AMina!

Akshow: Where is my queen Amina of xaxxau?

dasparrow:

Seconded! bring on queen Amina of Zaria. A beautiful woman who had much courage to protect her people.

Queen Amina was going to be my next post, but I had to get offline for a bit.

basilo101:
I actually expected her to be the number one on the list

Amina and Madame Tinubu were my first choices, but I did not choose Tinubu because of her connection with the slave trade, and decided against Amina only because I wanted this in the Foreign Affairs section - a non-Nigerian emphasises the continental appeal of the topic.

Dis Guy: who?
Ita Faji is an area in Eko. If you grew up on the island you'd know. Dis Guy, I'm surprised at you. undecided I thought you "used to komole" to Ayinde Barrister back in the day. cheesy
Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
Keeping space. Haven't even read the post..but i know i'll love it. Lemme go back and read..i'll be back.
Re: Great African Women In History by tonididdy(m): 3:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
Re: Great African Women In History by hishandmaid(f): 4:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
As I read through these post, I being to wonder what is wrong with my generation. These women (and of course some men) were illiterates and fearless, with little or no education @ all. If you study closely most of the women we have in position of authority now (ie, within Africa)and how our lives have been worsen, you being to wonder was this what the great madam Ekpo, Tinubu etc fought for.
Considering what these our ancestors fought and stood for, we can only strive toward the best with all our formal and informal education. This attitude of myself alone should really stop. Let's not waste these great women's effort @ liberating us from colonial master. God bls Nigeria. Thanks @op for reminding us.

1 Like

Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2013
polokor60: The prestigious socio-cultural heritage of the african race.Much respect to the Great pan african women,the first among women in the entire universe.You cultivated cash and food crops,brought the knowledge of about precious vegetables for minerals and medicines,had variaties of meals ,had and still have the greatest bond when it comes to child and mother relationship.

History never acknowledge the africa woman has the first among women when it came to civilization but you remain the pillar of the african race and first role models for women all around the world before the era of oppression/slave trade and colonization.Once again much respect to the true pan african women.

Thanks, bro. cool

Can we get more contributions, please. smiley
This is the downside of a thread put on the front page (not complaining o), lots of views, but not so much postings.

Contributors can:
- Copy and paste a story, and add a source or link.
- Write about a heroine or notable woman in your own words;
- Or simply write the name(s) of an African woman you admire. You never know - another poster might decide to do a short biography. wink

If you can't do any of the above, that's fine too. Just Enjoy. And LEARN about our people. I also will add more soon.
Re: Great African Women In History by Originalsly: 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2013
Very interesting...need to be taught in schools.I'm not feeling Madam Tinubu...she is a sell out...slave trader...but...part of history and that cannot be changed.
Re: Great African Women In History by qhiwegh(m): 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
Don't forget Cleopatra, the last queen of Egypt (Kemet), who was the lover to the two most powerful people in the world at the time (Julius Caesar and Mark Antony) in order to wield influence in the Roman Empire and secure autonomy for her country. She spoke fluent Egyptian, the African language of ancient Egypt (unlike the modern Egyptians who are Arab invaders and speak Arabic).

While the West likes to portray her as a white woman, she is in fact a black African, much much more African-looking than modern Egyptians (who are ugly as Bleep).

Cleopatra was well-educated. She spoke in addition to Egyptian, Greek and Latin. She was an example of a black woman who was confident in herself and could influence and manipulate even the most powerful people in the world. Black people need to stop being so limited by our mentality. Our ancestors were major powerbrokers in the world, and it's time that we step up and act like bosses instead of servants in the world.
Re: Great African Women In History by Egbagirl(f): 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2013
Great thread!!

hishandmaid: As I read through these post, I being to wonder what is wrong with my generation. These women (and of course some men) were illiterates and fearless, with little or no education @ all. If you study closely most of the women we have in position of authority now (ie, within Africa)and how our lives have been worsen, you being to wonder was this what the great madam Ekpo, Tinubu etc fought for.
Considering what these our ancestors fought and stood for, we can only strive toward the best with all our formal and informal education. This attitude of myself alone should really stop. Let's not waste these great women's effort @ liberating us from colonial master. God bls Nigeria. Thanks @op for reminding us.

WORD.
Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2013
This thread kind of proves my assertion that African women have always been given the freedom to operate independently by African men in certain African cultures - right.... If you look back into precolonial Africa - tons of African societies had great women with a thriving independent African women consciousness... The utmost respect given to them by African men was also replicated in the worship of feminine gods in different societies of that era... The Akan, Dahomey(fon), Hausa, Yoruba, Benin, Mali, Songhay, Kongo, all the Nile river civilisations, Wolof, Great Zimbabwe etc. had great women who were part of the decision makers and warriors in those societies.... Perhaps, we need to stop the blanket statement(s) about African culture(s) enslaving women - and treat all the occurrence(s) of such barbaric acts as isolated case(s) by peculiar tribes/ethnic-groups on the continent...

One might also argue that the continent of Africa produced more great women of yore/yesteryears than all the other continents combined... Heck, even Cleopatra and Queen Nefertiti were black women... add the female amazon warriors of Dahomey, the undefeated kush army that Alexander the Greekgreat couldn't conquer was led by a black Queen, and the powerful Queen Nzinga of Kongo that was a thorn in the flesh of the Portuguese slave merchants'.

So, alluding barbaric treatment(s) of women to the African culture is asinine... When Europeans sold their women into slavery till the 12th century... The consciousness of the Moors saved Europe and educated them on how to treat their women right... grin

Shalom!! Jah Bless!!!! Ashe!!!! tongue

3 Likes

Re: Great African Women In History by mamagee3(f): 6:23pm On Apr 27, 2013
Truly historical!!!
Re: Great African Women In History by Obijulius: 6:37pm On Apr 27, 2013
Pls dere is a difference bewteen a local champion and a strong regional/african player.

Dis people did not influence anything beyond some towns or villages. At best they were village champions.

Pls chage d title of d thread to reflect that these persons were local players, except u feel dat their tribes are bigger dan/equal to africa: which is d biggest lie after evolution!!!
Re: Great African Women In History by drnoel: 6:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
na wah ooh. All these women seem to be Nigerians apart from one or two. U mean to tell me that the rest of Africa didn´t have strong women in History
Re: Great African Women In History by Egbagirl(f): 7:02pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:
This thread kind of proves my assertion that African women have always been given the freedom to operate independently by African men in certain African cultures - right.... If you look back into precolonial Africa - tons of African societies had great women with a thriving independent African women consciousness... The utmost respect given to them by African men was also replicated in the worship of feminine gods in different societies of that era... The Akan, Dahomey(fon), Hausa, Yoruba, Benin, Mali, Songhay, Kongo, all the Nile river civilisations, Wolof, Great Zimbabwe etc. had great women who were part of the decision makers and warriors in those societies.... Perhaps, we need to stop the blanket statement(s) about African culture(s) enslaving women - and treat all the occurrence(s) of such barbaric acts as isolated case(s) by peculiar tribes/ethnic-groups on the continent...

One might also argue that the continent of Africa produced more great women of yore/yesteryears than all the other continents combined... Heck, even Cleopatra and Queen Nefertiti were black women... add the female amazon warriors of Dahomey, the undefeated kush army that Alexander the Greekgreat couldn't conquer was led by a black Queen, and the powerful Queen Nzinga of Kongo that was a thorn in the flesh of the Portuguese slave merchants'.

So, alluding barbaric treatment(s) of women to the African culture is asinine... When Europeans sold their women into slavery till the 12th century... The consciousness of the Moors saved Europe and educated them on how to treat their women right... grin

Shalom!! Jah Bless!!!! Ashe!!!! tongue

I do agree that it is not African culture per se and I think a lot of it has to do with colonization but we still haven't gotten out of that yet hence the "downgrading" of women by men.
Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
Egba girl:

I do agree that it is not African culture per se and I think a lot of it has to do with colonization but we still haven't gotten out of that yet hence the "downgrading" of women by men.

Every race of people still downgrades their women... we're just the only ones that they've got the searchlight on.... Do you listen to rock artists and how they talk trash about women? tongue

1 Like

Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 7:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
Obijulius: Pls dere is a difference bewteen a local champion and a strong regional/african player.

Dis people did not influence anything beyond some towns or villages. At best they were village champions.

Pls chage d title of d thread to reflect that these persons were local players, except u feel dat their tribes are bigger dan/equal to africa: which is d biggest lie after evolution!!!

Read a book... undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 7:47pm On Apr 27, 2013
-
Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 8:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
[size=14pt]Queen Idia, Iyoba of Benin Kingdom (Nigeria)[/size]
Late 1400s to mid-1500s

The kingdom of Benin (in present-day Nigeria) was plunged into a state of turmoil at the end of the fifteenth century when oba Ozolua died and left two powerful sons to dispute succession. His son Esigie controlled Benin City while another son, Arhuaran, was based in the equally important city of Udo about twenty miles away. The ensuing civil war severely compromised Benin's status as a regional power and undermined Benin City's place at the political and cultural center of the kingdom. Exploiting this weakness, the neighboring Igala peoples sent warriors across the Benue River to wrest control of Benin's northern territories. Esigie ultimately defeated his brother and conquered the Igala, reestablishing the unity and military strength of the kingdom. His mother Idia received much of the credit for these victories as her political counsel, together with her mystical powers and medicinal knowledge, were viewed as critical elements of Esigie's success on the battlefield. To reward and honor her, Esigie created a new position within the court called the iyoba, or "Queen Mother," which gave her significant political privileges, including a separate residence with its own staff.

As mother of the king, Idia and later iyobas wielded considerable power. Until recent times, the iyoba, who bore the oba's first son, had no other children and devoted her life to raising the future ruler of the kingdom, a role she was destined to play even before her own birth. Queen Mothers were therefore viewed as instrumental to the protection and well-being of the oba and, by extension, the kingdom. Indeed, obas wore carved ivory pendant masks representing the iyoba during ceremonies designed to rid the kingdom of malevolent spiritual forces. An especially fine example of such masks in the Metropolitan Museum's collection dates from the sixteenth century and is believed to depict Idia herself. Two vertical bars of inlaid iron between the eyes allude to medicine-filled incisions that were one source of Idia's metaphysical power. Within the court, the iyoba's political status was equal to that of a senior chief, and she enjoyed the right to commission precious works of art for personal and devotional use. Images of the iyoba found on the cast brass objects with which she was associated, such as ikegobo (altars to the hand) and urhoto (rectangular altarpieces), portray her in a shirt of coral beads flanked by attendants bearing symbols of political and spiritual power. These attendants, also depicted in carved ivory, were women under the tutelage of the iyoba destined for marriage to her son, the future oba. As with ancestral obas, deceased iyobas were venerated with cast brass memorial heads fitted with carved ivory tusks and displayed on royal altars.

https://www.nairaland.com/675773/great-leaders-nigerias-history-before/2#8400931

Also: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/young_explorers/childrens_online_tours/a_queens_tour/queen_idia.aspx

2 Likes

Re: Great African Women In History by Egbagirl(f): 8:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

Read a book... undecided undecided

Lol!!!!
ShyM-X:

Every race of people still downgrades their women... we're just the only ones that they've got the searchlight on.... Do you listen to rock artists and how they talk trash about women? tongue

Oh most definitely and nah don't listen to rock music. But my thing is that colonization influenced a change in the way men treated women and we still haven't gotten past that.
Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 8:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
[size=14pt]Winnie Madikizela-Mandela (b. 1936)[/size]
Anti-Apartheid Activist from the Xhosa tribe (Southern Africa)

[img]http://3.bp..com/_rUyDhdZLna8/S_KXXLx6lqI/AAAAAAAAW30/uPaafnN7HJw/s1600/Winnie-Mandela1.jpg[/img]

Born Nomzamo Winifred Madikizela on September 26, 1936, in Bizana, a rural village in the Transkei district of South Africa, Winnie Mandela eventually moved to Johannesburg in 1953 to study at the Jan Hofmeyr School of Social Work. South Africa was under the system known as apartheid, where citizens of indigenous African descent were subjected to a harsh caste system in which European descendants enjoyed much higher levels of wealth, health and social freedom.

Winnie completed her studies and, though receiving a scholarship to study in America, decided instead to work as the first black medical social worker at Baragwanath Hospital in Johannesburg. A dedicated professional, she came to learn via her field work of the deplorable state that many of her patients lived in.

In the mid-1950s, Winnie met attorney Nelson Mandela, who, at the time, was leader of the African National Congress, an organization with the goal of ending South Africa's apartheid system of racial segregation. The two married in June 1958, despite concerns from Winnie's father over the couple's age difference and Mandela's steadfast political involvements. After the wedding, Winnie moved into Mandela's home in Soweto. She became legally known thereafter as Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
Confinement and Leadership

Nelson Mandela was routinely arrested for his activities and targeted by the government during his early days of marriage. He was eventually sentenced in 1964 to life imprisonment, leaving Winnie Mandela to raise their two small daughters, Zenani and Zindzi, single-handedly. Nonetheless, Winnie vowed to continue working to end apartheid; she was involved surreptitiously with the ANC and sent her children to boarding school in Swaziland to offer them a more peaceful upbringing.

Monitored by the government, Winnie Mandela was arrested under the Suppression of Terrorism Act and spent more than a year in solitary confinement, where she was tortured. Upon her release, she continued her activism and was jailed several more times. Then after the Soweto 1976 uprisings where hundreds of students were killed, she was forced by the government to relocate to the border town of Brandfort in 1977 and placed under house arrest. She described the experience as alienating and heart-wrenching, yet she continued to speak out, as in a 1981 statement to the BBC on black South African economic might and its ability to overturn the system.

In 1985, after her home was firebombed, Winnie returned to Soweto and continued to agitate against the regime even during government media bans. Her actions continued to cement the title bestowed upon her, "Mother of the Nation." But Winnie also became known for endorsing deadly retaliation against black citizens who collaborated with the apartheid regime.

More on Biography.com, Wikipedia, etc.

[size=14pt]Miriam Makeba, "Mama Africa" (1932-2008)[/size]
Swazi-Xhosa Anti-Apartheid Activist and Musician

[img]http://cache.pakistantoday.com.pk/2013/03/Miriam-Makeba-480x238.jpg[/img]

Miriam Makeba, the South African singer whose voice stirred hopes of freedom among millions in her country with music that was banned by the apartheid authorities she struggled against, died overnight after performing at a concert in Italy on Sunday. She was 76.

The cause was cardiac arrest, according to Vincenza Di Saia, a doctor at the private Pineta Grande clinic in Castel Volturno, near Naples, where Ms. Makeba was taken by ambulance. The time of death was listed in hospital records as midnight, the doctor said.

Ms. Makeba collapsed as she was leaving the stage, the South African authorities said. She had been singing at a concert in support of Roberto Saviano, an author who has received death threats after writing about organized crime.

Widely known as “Mama Africa,” Ms. Makeba was a prominent exiled opponent of apartheid since the South African authorities revoked her passport in 1960 and refused to allow her to return after she traveled abroad. She was prevented from attending her mother’s funeral after touring in the United States.

Although Ms. Makeba had been weakened by osteoarthritis, her death stunned many in South Africa, where she was an enduring emblem of the travails of black people under the apartheid system of racial segregation. It ended with the release of Nelson Mandela from prison in 1990 and the country’s first fully democratic elections in 1994.

In a statement on Monday, Mr. Mandela said the death “of our beloved Miriam has saddened us and our nation.”

“Her haunting melodies gave voice to the pain of exile and dislocation which she felt for 31 long years,” he said. “At the same time, her music inspired a powerful sense of hope in all of us.

“She was South Africa’s first lady of song and so richly deserved the title of Mama Afrika. She was a mother to our struggle and to the young nation of ours.”

Mr. Mandela’s was one of many tributes from South African leaders.

As a singer, Ms. Makeba merged the ancient and the modern, tradition and individualism. Her 1960s hits “Qongqothwane,” known in English as “The Click Song,” and the dance song “Pata Pata,” which would be remade by many other performers in the next decades, used the tongue-clicking sound that is part of the Xhosa language her family spoke. Traditional African ululation was also one of her many vocal techniques.

But Ms. Makeba was also familiar with jazz and international pop and folk songs, and while South African songs would always be the core of her repertory, she built an ever-expanding repertory in many languages. Her voice was supremely flexible, and she could sound like a young girl or a craggy grandmother within the same song.

Ms. Makeba’s musical career spanned five decades, from 1950s recordings with South African vocal groups — the Manhattan Brothers and then her own female group, the Skylarks — through her last studio recording, “Reflections” (2004), and her continuing concert performances.

With tenderness, righteousness and playfulness, Ms. Makeba sang love songs, advice songs, spiritual songs, anti-apartheid songs and calls for unity. In bringing African music to other continents, she was a pioneer of what would be called world music, reworking her own heritage for listeners who might never hear it otherwise while creating fusions of her own.

Yet for all her internationalist hybrids, and through three decades as an exile, her music always made it clear that South Africa was her home.

As an exile Ms. Makeba lived variously in the United States, France, Guinea and Belgium. South Africa’s state broadcasters banned her music after she spoke out against apartheid at the United Nations.

“I never understood why I couldn’t come home,” Ms. Makeba said, as quoted by The Associated Press, during an emotional homecoming in Johannesburg in 1990 as the apartheid system began to crumble. “I never committed any crime.”

Music was a central part of the struggle against apartheid. The South African government censored many forms of expression, while many foreign entertainers refused to perform in South Africa and discouraged others from doing so in an attempt to isolate the white authorities and show their opposition to the regime.

From abroad, Ms. Makeba acted as a constant reminder of the events in her homeland as the white power structure struggled to contain or pre-empt unrest among the black majority.

Ms. Makeba wrote in 1987: “I kept my culture. I kept the music of my roots. Through my music I became this voice and image of Africa, and the people, without even realizing.”

She was married several times. Her husbands included the American black power activist Stokely Carmichael, with whom she lived in Guinea, and the South African-born jazz trumpeter Hugh Masekela, who also spent many years in exile.

In the United States she became a star, touring with Harry Belafonte in the 1960s and winning a Grammy award with him in 1965 for “An Evening With Belafonte/Makeba.” Such was her following and fame that she sang in 1962 at the birthday party of President John F. Kennedy. She also performed with Paul Simon in his “Graceland” concert in Zimbabwe in 1987.

But she fell afoul of the music industry in the United States because of her marriage to Mr. Carmichael. Scheduled concerts were suddenly being canceled, she said.

“It was not a ban from the government; it was a cancellation by people who felt I should not be with Stokely because he was a rebel to them,” Ms. Makeba said in May in an interview with the British music critic Robin Denselow in The Guardian of London. “I didn’t care about that. He was somebody I loved, who loved me, and it was my life.”

Miriam Zenzi Makeba was born in Johannesburg on March 4, 1932, the daughter of a Swazi mother and a father from the Xhosa people, who live mainly in the eastern Cape region of South Africa. She became known to South Africans in the Sophiatown district of Johannesburg in the 1950s before singing professionally with the Manhattan Brothers and then the Skylarks.

Even after becoming a star, Ms. Makeba was often short of money and could not afford to buy a coffin when her only child, her daughter, Bongi, died at 36 in 1985, Agence France-Presse reported. Bongi Makeba was a singer and songwriter who had released an album and had performed with her mother. Ms. Makeba buried her daughter alone, barring a handful of journalists from covering the funeral. No other information on survivors was available.

In 1992, Ms. Makeba starred in “Sarafina!,” a film with Whoopi Goldberg about the 1976 Soweto youth uprisings; Ms. Makeba played the title character’s mother. She also took part in the acclaimed 2002 documentary “Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony,” in which she and others recalled apartheid.

Yet to Ms. Makeba, her music was never intended to further a political agenda; it was far more personal than that.

“I am not a political singer,” she told The Guardian. “I don’t know what the word means. People think I consciously decided to tell the world what was happening in South Africa. No! I was singing about my life, and in South Africa we always sang about what was happening to us — especially the things that hurt us.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/world/africa/11makeba.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

[img]http://foreverblackeffusion.files./2012/12/68916_10151220094023558_14765225_n.jpg?w=560[/img]
Miriam Makeba and husband, Stokely Carmichael

See also:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Makeba
Early years
Zenzile Miriam Makeba was born in Johannesburg on 4 March 1932. Her mother was a Swazi sangoma (traditional healer-herbalist). Her father, who died when she was six years old, was a Xhosa. When she was eighteen days old, her mother was arrested for selling umqombothi, an African homemade beer brewed from malt and cornmeal. Her mother was sentenced to a six-month prison term, so Miriam spent her first six months of life in jail.[2][3] As a child, she sang in the choir of the Kilmerton Training Institute in Pretoria, a primary school that she attended for eight years.[4][5]
In 1950 at the age of eighteen, Makeba gave birth to her only child, Bongi Makeba, whose father was Makeba's first husband James Kubay.[6] Makeba was then diagnosed with breast cancer, and her husband left her shortly afterwards.[7]
Her professional career began in the 1950s when she was featured in the South African jazz group the Manhattan Brothers, and appeared for the first time on a poster. She left the Manhattan Brothers to record with her all-woman group, The Skylarks,[8] singing a blend of jazz and traditional melodies of South Africa.[2] As early as 1956, she released the single "Pata Pata",[5] which was played on all the radio stations and made her name known throughout South Africa.[9]
She had a short-lived marriage in 1959 to Sonny Pillay, a South African singer of Indian descent.[10][7] Her break came in that year when she had a short guest appearance in Come Back, Africa, an anti-apartheid documentary produced and directed by American independent filmmaker Lionel Rogosin. The short cameo made an enormous impression on the viewers and Rogosin managed to organise a visa for her to attend the première of the film at the twenty-fourth Venice Film Festival in Italy, where the film won the prestigious Critics' Award.[11][12][13] That year, Makeba sang the lead female role in the Broadway-inspired South African musical King Kong;[4] among those in the cast was musician Hugh Masekela. She made her U.S. debut on 1 November 1959 on The Steve Allen Show.[5][14]
Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 8:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
By popular demand!

[size=14pt]Queen Amina of Zaria[/size]
(Nigeria)(16th century)

The seven original states of Hausaland: Katsina, Daura, Kano, Zazzau, Gobir, Rano, and Garun Gabas cover an area of approximately 500 square miles and comprise the heart of Hausaland. In the sixteenth century, Queen Bakwa Turunku built the capital of Zazzau at Zaria, named after her younger daughter. Eventually, the entire state of Zazzau was renamed Zaria, which is now a province in present-day Nigeria.

However it was her elder daughter, the legendary Amina (or Aminatu), who inherited her mother's warlike nature. Amina was 16 years old when her mother became queen and she was given the traditional title of magajiya. She honed her military skills and became famous for her bravery and military exploits, as she is celebrated in song as "Amina daughter of Nikatau, a woman as capable as a man."

Amina is credited as the architect who created the strong earthen walls around the city, which was the prototype for the fortifications used in all Hausa states. She built many of these fortifications, which became known as ganuwar Amina or Amina's walls, around various conquered cities.

The objectives of her conquests were twofold: extension of Zazzau beyond its primary borders and reducing the conquered cities to vassal status. Sultan Muhammad Bello of Sokoto stated that, "She made war upon these countries and overcame them entirely so that the people of Katsina paid tribute to her and the men of Kano [and]... also made war on cities of Bauchi till her kingdom reached to the sea in the south and the west." Likewise, she led her armies as far as Nupe and, according to the Kano Chronicle, "The Sarkin Nupe sent her [the princess] 40 eunuchs and 10,000 kola nuts. She was the first in Hausaland to own eunuchs and kola nuts."

Amina was a preeminent gimbiya (princess) but various theories exist as to the time of her reign or if she ever was a queen. One explanation states that she reigned from approximately 1536 to 1573, while another posits that she became queen after her brother Karama's death, in 1576. Yet another claims that although she was a leading princess, she was never a queen.

Despite the discrepancies, over a 34-year period, her many conquests and subsequent annexation of the territories extended the borders of Zaria, which also grew in importance and became the center of the North-South Saharan trade and the East-West Sudan trade.

http://blackhistorypages.net/pages/amina.php
More here: https://www.nairaland.com/675773/great-leaders-nigerias-history-before#8398244

1 Like

Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 27, 2013
@isale gan2,
very nice thread. It does not surprising that two of the women are from the Ashanti tribe in Ghana. Ghanaian women are extremely powerful and they have a matriarchal society with inheritance going through the mother.
Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 27, 2013
Egba girl:

Lol!!!!

Oh most definitely and nah don't listen to rock music. But my thing is that colonization influenced a change in the way men treated women and we still haven't gotten past that.

Perhaps, it made us more confused and worthless since we've been indoctrinated that we were "savages" before the almighty Euro-peons(Europeans) saved us... grin

Are you free? Wanna chat on a separate thread?

1 Like

Re: Great African Women In History by mrperfect(m): 11:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
This is an interesting thread about african women.
Good to read.
Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 11:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
Shymmex, no problem with discussions here. wink

I will continue to post more personalities - gradually.
Re: Great African Women In History by Egbagirl(f): 11:27pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

Perhaps, it made us more confused and worthless since we've been indoctrinated that we were "savages" before the almighty Euro-peons(Europeans) saved us... grin

Are you free? Wanna chat on a separate thread?

confused maybe. worthless... hmmm not too sure. Yea I am. wassup
Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 28, 2013
isale_gan2: Shymmex, no problem with discussions here. wink

I will continue to post more personalities - gradually.

grin I don't want to derail the thread..

1 Like

Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 28, 2013
Egba girl:

confused maybe. worthless... hmmm not too sure. Yea I am. wassup

Worthless: meaning loss of our real identity... Everything has been pretty much watered-down to make our culture inferior and that of the colonial power(s) superior... We're just trying to be what we're not and trying too hard to fit in somewhere hence why we're at the bottom of the totem pole in basically everything - not just the women...
Re: Great African Women In History by Egbagirl(f): 12:13am On Apr 28, 2013
ShyM-X:

Worthless: meaning loss of our real identity... Everything has been pretty much watered-down to make our culture inferior and that of the colonial power(s) superior... We're just trying to be what we're not and trying too hard to fit in somewhere hence why we're at the bottom of the totem pole in basically everything - not just the women...

Right right. Okay now I see what you mean and yes I agree. You heard Chimamanda's recent TEDx talk?
Re: Great African Women In History by Nobody: 12:18am On Apr 28, 2013
Egba girl:

Right right. Okay now I see what you mean and yes I agree. You heard Chimamanda's recent TEDx talk?

Erm... Was it the interview she did about nappy hair and straight hair?? grin

1 Like

Re: Great African Women In History by isalegan2: 12:19am On Apr 28, 2013
Gotcha, Shymmex. No worries. wink Discussions about our topic (women issues) is fine. What annoyed me are people who have nothing substantive to contribute except put-downs of the topic itself. I've had this on another thread, so maybe I'm wary of trolls.

I'm still unsure if DrNoel was doing that to be honest. undecided

I'm not a taskmaster. Do your thang. grin

More posts to come. cool

GenBuhari: @isale gan2,
very nice thread. It does not surprising that two of the women are from the Ashanti tribe in Ghana. Ghanaian women are extremely powerful and they have a matriarchal society with inheritance going through the mother.

GenBuhari, I'm happy to see you, bro. smiley

P.S. It's all good, Egbagirl.
Re: Great African Women In History by Egbagirl(f): 12:28am On Apr 28, 2013
ShyM-X:

Erm... Was it the interview she did about nappy hair and straight hair?? grin

Nah it was about feminism. I was gonna create a thread about it but I got lazy about discussing it. It's really insightful. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc

Don't wanna derail the thread so...

Isale_gan2, abeg no vex o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

White House Makes It Official : US “at War” With IS / Nigerians Sentenced To Death For Drug Dealing: ALL OF THEM IGBOS - SHAME / Russian Troops Attack Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant In Ukraine, Sparking Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.