Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,777 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Lagos Politics And Religion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Politics And Religion (6321 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? / I Will Always Be Involved In Lagos Politics - Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Politics And Religion by Needlelady(f): 11:53pm On Apr 12, 2008
Is lagos state owned and controlled by a certain religion? I've noticed that all the elected governors must be be practising a particular religion to be elected. Am I wrong?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by debosky(m): 11:59pm On Apr 12, 2008
Yes you are wrong.

'All' elected governors do not practice a certain religion. . .the immediate past and current governors are m-uslim, but before them, the previous governor was Sir Michael Otedola who was a Christian. Lagos is sufficiently urbane to choose leaders based on performance rather than on religion alone, with things still working smoothly. I do feel there is a greater level of participation by m-uslims that other faiths (not confirmed though) which may lead to such a slant.

Secondly, looking at the past 3 guvs in Ogun state, they have all been Christian. . .would you say all the guvs there have to be practicing a certain religion as well?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Jackal1(m): 12:36am On Apr 13, 2008
@ Debosky,

What do u know about politics?
This aint about bosoms, wonderbras n thongs. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by doyin13(m): 12:46am On Apr 13, 2008
@Needlelady

Mba. . . .I think the pertinent connection is the Love for Fuji Ropopo Music, not their religious affiliation.

Check it. . . .From Tinubu to Marwa to Rasaki to Jakande to Otedola. . . . , . . You would always find either Sikiru/Kollington
or more recently KWAM1 on their playlist.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by debosky(m): 1:00am On Apr 13, 2008
doyin13:

@Needlelady

Mba. . . .I think the pertinent connection is the Love for Fuji Ropopo Music, not their religious affiliation.

Check it. . . .From Tinubu to Marwa to Rasaki to Jakande to Otedola. . . . , . . You would always find either Sikiru/Kollington
or more recently KWAM1 on their playlist.

grin grin grin Ropopo indeed
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by outlaws(m): 10:02am On Apr 13, 2008
cool

The poster is trying to make a point that Igbos are left out in the Federal government positions. The Hausa and yoruba are in charge.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Mustay(m): 10:30am On Apr 13, 2008
Is federal government LAGOS? Moreover, ben akabueze(hope I got the name right) is an igbo man and a commissioner in Lagos state!
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Mustay(m): 10:30am On Apr 13, 2008
Is federal government LAGOS? Moreover, ben akabueze(hope I got the name right) is an igbo man and a commissioner in Lagos state!
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by bluehorizo(m): 10:51am On Apr 13, 2008
Jackal.:

What do u know about politics?
This aint about bosoms, wonderbras n thongs. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
cheesy cheesy grin grin I don't know why some people just have to contribute to issues they know nothing or have any idea about. Na real waa oo.

outlaws:

cool

The poster is trying to make a point that Igbos are left out in the Federal government positions. The Hausa and yoruba are in charge.

Do you know the difference between Federal,State and Local Govt? Go back to secondary school pls. Racist
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by akara(m): 12:03pm On Apr 13, 2008
Last I checked the topic was on Lagos Politics and Religion and not on Race nor Tribe.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Mustay(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2008
Some dudes just like to make 1+1 = 3
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by SignorZax: 12:43pm On Apr 13, 2008
outlaws:

cool

I hate all these tribalism stuff.

You, These tribalists, you piss me off. I hate ya all.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Kobojunkie: 12:46pm On Apr 13, 2008
LMAO!!!! way to make a point !!!! LMAO!!
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 13, 2008
outlaws:

cool

oloriburuku ni e. o ni were
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Mustay(m): 7:58pm On Apr 13, 2008
Ejo e se suru ni bi o! Se fe so ibi bai di TRIBAL WAR THREAD ni?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Mustay(m): 8:04pm On Apr 13, 2008
Ejo e se suru ni bi o! Se fe so ibi bai di TRIBAL WAR THREAD ni?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by DisGuy: 8:47pm On Apr 13, 2008
why isnt she coming back to her topic?

shame dey catch you?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Needlelady(f): 10:38pm On Apr 13, 2008
Some dudes just like to make 1+1 = 3
Exactly.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Needlelady(f): 10:41pm On Apr 13, 2008
Yes you are wrong.

'All' elected governors do not practice a certain religion. . .the immediate past and current governors are m-uslim, but before them, the previous governor was Sir Michael Otedola who was a Christian. Lagos is sufficiently urbane to choose leaders based on performance rather than on religion alone, with things still working smoothly. I do feel there is a greater level of participation by m-uslims that other faiths (not confirmed though) which may lead to such a slant.

Secondly, looking at the past 3 guvs in Ogun state, they have all been Christian. . .would you say all the guvs there have to be practicing a certain religion as well?
Thank you Debosky for clarifying the issue. I once heard from a friend that you need to be from Eko and practice a particular religion as a prerequisite for election into the Lagos guber office. One more question tho, besides Otedola, were other christian govs elected?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by OluToye: 10:50pm On Apr 13, 2008
Quite(maybe an understatement, majority of them are) a number of Yoruba lagosians are muslims, more so than in any other yoruba state( Kwara might be an exception though). It is only natural that this reflects in the politicalappointments in the state.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by doyin13(m): 10:50pm On Apr 13, 2008
Needlelady:

Thank you Debosky for clarifying the issue. I once heard from a friend that you need to be from Eko and practice a particular religion as a prerequisite for election into the Lagos guber office. One more question tho, besides Otedola, were other christian govs elected?

Err. . . .Nope

Lateef Jakande was his only democratically elected predecessor. Before that, Lagos had a Minister for Federal Capital Territory.

I think undecided
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by doyin13(m): 10:52pm On Apr 13, 2008
But don't scowl at my Fuji Ropopo discovery.

It is a legitimate assertion cool
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by 4Play(m): 10:53pm On Apr 13, 2008
Wasn't Maj Gen Oluleye ex-Military Gov of Lagos State?

Which state is he actually from,Oluleye that is.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by OluToye: 10:56pm On Apr 13, 2008
Just realised something: Any time i write 'Muslims', the forum calls it "the great ones". It will probably happen again after i post this.

Explains alot of the things i've read on nairaland,
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by OluToye: 10:57pm On Apr 13, 2008
And i was right, can someone explain why we can't say Musl**s?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Needlelady(f): 11:02pm On Apr 13, 2008
Err. . . .Nope

Lateef Jakande was his only democratically elected predecessor. Before that, Lagos had a Minister for Federal Capital Territory.

I think

Isn't that an indication that the selection of the gov's in this democratic dispensation follows a religious pattern?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Needlelady(f): 11:04pm On Apr 13, 2008
Quite(maybe an understatement, majority of them are) a number of Yoruba lagosians are great ones, more so than in any other yoruba state( Kwara might be an exception though). It is only natural that this reflects in the politicalappointments in the state.
How did you come by this conclusion? More yoruba muslims are from Oyo state and parts of the yoruba kwara. I think christians and muslim lagos indigenes equate each other but there seems to be a power shift.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by bawomolo(m): 11:13pm On Apr 13, 2008
How did you come by this conclusion? More yoruba great ones are from Oyo state and parts of the yoruba kwara. I think christians and a great one lagos indigenes equate each other but there seems to be a power shift.

most lagosians are secular or moderate. what power shift are u talking about??
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by OluToye: 11:13pm On Apr 13, 2008
Needlelady:

How did you come by this conclusion? More yoruba great ones are from Oyo state and parts of the yoruba kwara. I think christians and a great one lagos indigenes equate each other but there seems to be a power shift.

Came to the conclusion because i've met many  lagosians who are muslims. And quite a number of the christian lagosians were once muslims( at least the ones i'm familiar with i.e my mum's family). About Oyo, not too sure about that.

Can someone explain the significance of 'Great Ones'?
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Needlelady(f): 11:28pm On Apr 13, 2008
most lagosians are secular or moderate. what power shift are u talking about??
I guess there was a religious preference from the get go, hmmm, Otedola must have entered the office by accident with respect to his religion.
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by DisGuy: 2:42am On Apr 14, 2008
OluToye:

And i was right, can someone explain why we can't say Musl**s?

apparently when the word is mentioned an all for all fight follows cheesy

moderator who?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Politics And Religion by Mustay(m): 5:52am On Apr 14, 2008
the author's question has been answered. if u guys wanna talk about the GREAT ONES, GREATER ONES OR greatest ones, GO TO D RELIGION SECTION!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Political Analyst On Nairaland / Ojukwu, IBB To Meet, Ojukwu- Ibb Needs 16 Yrs Of Rule ! / What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.