Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Share Your Job Interview Experiences - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your Job Interview Experiences (11408 Views)

Funny Interview Experiences / ''the Money Or Continue Your Job Hunt Another Place'' / State Your Job Interview Experiences Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by ritux: 2:14pm On Apr 29, 2013
My first interview was with a construction company in Manchester. The company director and one other technical guy interviewed me. In fact, it was actually a discussion chat after which they told me how they operate and took me round the office and introduced me to some other guyz. Two days later, they sent me email SORRY ON THIS OCCASSION blah blah blah

Second, after several exchange of emails with the MD of a company in Lagos, he told me he will like to see me whenever I come to naija. When I got to Nigeria, I travelled from Delta state with flight for that matter to go see this guy. After all the plenty dicussions, he said he will start me with 30K naira and as time goes on, we will review. I just told him I will get back to him and I left. Waisted time and resources.

My present job, I got an appointment with the Area Manager of the company. When I got there, I waited for 2hours to see him only for him to tell his sectary that I should come back after their lunch break with my CV. I got back by 1pm and he did not come back from break until 2pm. He called me in, went through my CV and said he wasn't going to interview me and that everthing is written on my CV. He just asked me which softwares I could use. I told him and he asked me if I am very good in MS Project, I said yes and the next thing was the big question "How much is my salary" I told him it all depends on what the company is ready to offer me. He told me 50k 75k 100k. I just smiled at him because I could not just say any amount. He asked me to come with him to another office and he introduced me to another white man. I could not understand what the said in their local dialect. That was how I got my present job.
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by pharuk: 2:17pm On Apr 29, 2013
cool
ritux: My first interview was with a construction company in Manchester. The company director and one other technical guy interviewed me. In fact, it was actually a discussion chat after which they told me how they operate and took me round the office and introduced me to some other guyz. Two days later, they sent me email SORRY ON THIS OCCASSION blah blah blah

Second, after several exchange of emails with the MD of a company in Lagos, he told me he will like to see me whenever I come to naija. When I got to Nigeria, I travelled from Delta state with flight for that matter to go see this guy. After all the plenty dicussions, he said he will start me with 30K naira and as time goes on, we will review. I just told him I will get back to him and I left. Waisted time and resources.

My present job, I got an appointment with the Area Manager of the company. When I got there, I waited for 2hours to see him only for him to tell his sectary that I should come back after their lunch break with my CV. I got back by 1pm and he did not come back from break until 2pm. He called me in, went through my CV and said he wasn't going to interview me and that everthing is written on my CV. He just asked me which softwares I could use. I told him and he asked me if I am very good in MS Project, I said yes and the next thing was the big question "How much is my salary" I told him it all depends on what the company is ready to offer me. He told me 50k 75k 100k. I just smiled at him because I could not just say any amount. He asked me to come with him to another office and he introduced me to another white man. I could not understand what the said in their local dialect. That was how I got my present job.
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by scobaba: 2:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
Done 3 Interviews. 2 in banking and lastly Oil.

I Was the last to be interviewed in both Banking Interviews. Those guys don taya gon, as they yawned all through...but I got both jobs @ their different times.

Den the Oil interview came up. Like a boss, I was the last to get to the venue, hoping I would be the last interviewee again. But Alas! I was the First. See sweat.

While we waited in a secluded hall(6 of us), I recognized one hot FCMB chick I saw during the aptitude test stage. I started toasting almost immediately(one staff said since we were just 6, we wud all get the job), so as to occupy space when we eventually start working.

'Mr Scobaba, you are the first, step out', d H.R guy said and I almost cried.

3guys(one, an italian) and a woman welcomed me.

For 45minutes ds people washed me with parazone super bleach.

I think I found favour thru God in the woman, cos she kept defending n re-explaning my answers to the italian. Lastly, the H.R guy who was quiet all along, said, 'young man, your answers all seem to me like guess work' and same woman replied him with 'yea, but most are correct'.

I left dem and got called for medicals 2weeks after. Sadly, my okpeke dint make it. Just me and one bad guy from standard chatered Bank.

Please if u guys see my okpeke, tell her I luv her.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by zubbainno123: 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2013
nice thread
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 29, 2013
Finally, useful topics are making FP.

Of my numerous interviews (by the grace of God, i was succesful in all!) I want to share one of the uppercut questions.

"Why are you bearing feminine name?" (So they say oo grin)

I told them that "unfortunately" for me, my opinion wasn't sought by my parents when the name was given but that I've grown up to love and cherish the name.

Two of the interviewers had fallen off their seats in laughter by the time I finished. Need I tell u I got the job?

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by fitzmayowa: 3:07pm On Apr 29, 2013
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by trekkie: 3:37pm On Apr 29, 2013
Okoro2015: Finally, useful topics are making FP.

Of my numerous interviews (by the grace of God, i was succesful in all!) I want to share one of the uppercut questions.

I told them that "unfortunately" for me, my opinion wasn't sought by my parents when the name was given but that I've grown up to love and cherish the name.

Two of the interviewers had fallen off their seats in laughter by the time I finished. Need I tell u I got the job?

this is classic hr strategy. ask a personal question that can be seen as offensive by the interviewee.this is to test your personality.(how amiable you are) if you had gotten all huffy and "infra" on them you would have lost the job. needless to say you passed with flying colors.
note for job seekers, don't be subservient at interviews, you will be seen as a potential brown noser (is that a word)? smiley and leave your dignity at the door. if you feel offended by what you consider to be too personal a question defuse the tension with humor. like okoro2015
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by armadeo(m): 3:44pm On Apr 29, 2013
yuzedo: Well, in my final interview with Mobil, as i enter the interview room, dey advise me before dat i shud relax and crack joke wit interviewrs to show confident, so i enter, i siddon and the leda chair make noise like "pruuuuuu", so i laugh i say "hmmmm, who mess, tolo-tolo mess, teacher say na obi, obi say na teacher, na u mess', so d person i land on "na u mess" was d oga at the top, so he vex. shocked

Am working with their rival now. Total in Ikoyi. cool

But as fuel attendant.cry cry angry

Clown
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by yuzedo: 4:16pm On Apr 29, 2013
Okoro2015: Finally, useful topics are making FP.

I told them that "unfortunately" for me, my opinion wasn't sought by my parents when the name was given
but that I've grown up to love and cherish the name.

Comment of the month! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 29, 2013
I love this thread!!
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by sigba(f): 5:04pm On Apr 29, 2013
Following this thread bumber to bumper. I'm yet to experience an interview, i dont even know what to expect sef, learning alot here sha.
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by pure123: 5:30pm On Apr 29, 2013
mine was funny-1st job.......i got invitation on wednesday....i got to the HR following day, wrote my test did interview, collected offer letter and resumed work same day..although this was because of the connection. The person that introduced me was one of the board of directors of the bank..

My interview was " CAN YOU USE SCANNER AND SYSTEM VERY WELL? I ANSWERED YES AND THE INTERVIEWER SAID YOU WILL LEARN THE REST OF THE JOB AS TIME GOES ON.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by jntyjnty007(f): 5:33pm On Apr 29, 2013
All good, look direct to their eyes, not to much hand movement, pause when thinking, but not for too long. It works everywhere in the world.

I interviewed a candidate a couple of years back. I was asked to come in at a specific time and ask a few questions to determine the person's integrity and honesty. The question "what was the best experience you have had in your life to date?"

His response was direct, "sleeping with two women". He had all the qualifications and got the job.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by omega25red(m): 6:05pm On Apr 29, 2013
My experience

I went for an interview at a language school for IT. when i got in i met with the VP of the company who luckily didn't really know much about IT and she asked me a few questions which i answer properly then the systems administrator came in for the interview. He started asking me all these IT questions which i also answered. I went as far as asking him other IT related question to get his opinion and to make it seem like we had worked together before. After talking to him then the president of the company came in for the interview.

By now i was like wow how many oga's will interview me . Luckily for me the president had their biggest client on site so he couldn't sit and question me for too long. When all was said and done, a few days later they called me and told me they wanted me to start next week. i was like i still had a job and usually i would want to put in my 2 week notice. The lady said i needed to see what i could do because they needed me to start ASAP. i was like ok let me see.

Quick quick i quit the other job, got a UHAUL truck and moved from NY to DC to start my new job grin
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by skfa1: 6:44pm On Apr 29, 2013
The interview started,I was the last person out of nine. None of the eight got the job.
It came to my turn,before saying half of what I planned to say,the manager said congrats,u v got the job.
They said they will pay me 40k,I said want 150k. They said they can't pay more than 40k. I left the job,didn't collect the employement letter.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by omega25red(m): 9:21pm On Apr 29, 2013
skfa1: The interview started,I was the last person out of nine. None of the eight got the job.
It came to my turn,before saying half of what I planned to say,the manager said congrats,u v got the job.
They said they will pay me 40k,I said want 150k. They said they can't pay more than 40k. I left the job,didn't collect the employement letter.
good for you. The others probably did the same. By the way the 40k is that every 2 weeks or per month?
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by Godson201333(m): 10:12pm On Apr 29, 2013
[quote author=yuzedo]Well, in my final interview with Mobil, as i enter the interview room, dey advise me before dat i shud relax and crack joke wit interviewrs to show confident, so i enter, i siddon and the leda chair make noise like "pruuuuuu", so i laugh i say "hmmmm, who mess, tolo-tolo mess, teacher say na obi, obi say na teacher, na u mess', so d person i land on "na u mess" was d oga at the top, so he vex. shocked

[/quote

Omo see me see trouble,Fuel attendant for Ikoyi?Bro no be small thing ooo,How much is your pay nah?
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by bigfrancis21: 10:34pm On Apr 29, 2013
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by bigfrancis21: 10:36pm On Apr 29, 2013
ola_pluto: First 'adult' job interview was for GSK (as a research scientist) here in UK. I passed all the initial interviews (company knowledge, ethics, etc etc). The first face-to-face interview was the toughest 1 hour of my life until then. I am usually very relaxed and casual. The interviewer probably saw this and pounced on me!
It was a technical interview. Initial greetings done, he brought out 2 blank A4 papers. Then opened a set of questions in front of me. Gave me a pen and said I should start solving them. I had to take a deep breath and I started. He said it will take me 1 hour, but in my mind, I knew I could finish it in 25 minutes max. So I started...
First thing I wrote, he probed me on that. I had to explain everything I write verbally to him. I had to present alternative strategies, the possible side effects, and possible health and safety issues. I didnt know when 1 hour elapsed and I hadnt answered half of the questions.
He said he liked me and we should continue the interview. After almost 2 hours, we reached the final question. By this time, my eyes were really blurry red and I could barely make my way to the door. I had been intellectually wallopped. He called me 3 days after to say I am on a waiting list, in case the first 2 guys dont want the job. I didnt get the job! But the experience taught me a lot. After that, I'd been successful in 90% of interviews I go for.

Excuse me oga o, but if you are always successful in all your interviews then why do you keep going for them again and again? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by day0(m): 2:16am On Apr 30, 2013
yuzedo: Well, in my final interview with Mobil, as i enter the interview room, dey advise me before dat i shud relax and crack joke wit interviewrs to show confident, so i enter, i siddon and the leda chair make noise like "pruuuuuu", so i laugh i say "hmmmm, who mess, tolo-tolo mess, teacher say na obi, obi say na teacher, na u mess', so d person i land on "na u mess" was d oga at the top, so he vex. shocked

**rolls and falls from bed lmfao** #EPIC

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by skfa1: 7:51am On Apr 30, 2013
omega25red: good for you. The others probably did the same. By the way the 40k is that every 2 weeks or per month?

It is per month.
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by CrushX(f): 8:30am On Apr 30, 2013
My penultimate interview was really terrible, it was one of those experiences where you realise mid-way that there is no way they're gonna give you the job, cause you've said nothing to impress them and you've portrayed yourself as the dumbest person ever (facepalm). Not the greatest feeling in the world. Thankfully, learning from that experience is how I did spectacularly at my next interview and got the job (whew).

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by malakus(m): 9:06am On Apr 30, 2013
I've learnt a lot from this thread especially as I expect my first job interview soon.
I want to say thanx for sharing, congrats to those who scaled thru, and success to all who need to do it again.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by olapluto(m): 9:31am On Apr 30, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Excuse me oga o, but if you are always successful in all your interviews then why do you keep going for them again and again? undecided
You take some, you reject some. Not yet at my dream job yet.
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by Ogadtop(m): 12:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
oluwadare26: U didnt sound like a graduate
WHAO! How? Please explain.
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by wasco8(m): 4:44pm On Apr 30, 2013
iebanehita: Learn frm ur mistakes and prepare thoroughly for ur next interview so u dn't look stoopid in the nxt interview and d interviewer doesn't think u r actually stewpid.

Best of luck in ur jobsearch.

You forgot to add fideloty bank
Re: Share Your Job Interview Experiences by qeemus: 1:19pm On May 02, 2013

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Apply For Vitafoam Nigeria Management Trainee Program 2018 / Calapharm April 2018 Latest Recruitment (15 Positions) / Etisalat Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.