Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,328 members, 7,811,966 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 (5291 Views)

Photos From Agip Oil Pipeline Explosion That Killed 3 People In Bayelsa / Agip Oil Pipeline Explosion In Bayelsa , 3 Feared Dead / Militant Group Claims Responsibility For Delta Pipeline Explosion- PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Orikinla(m): 3:19pm On May 12, 2006
200 Feared Dead In Lagos, Nigeria Oil Blast

Have you heard or read the breaking news that over 200 Nigerians have been kiiled in another oil pipeline explosion?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060512/ap_on_re_af/nigeria_pipeline_blast

When will they ever learn?

Ignorance kills more poor people than poverty.
http://post.news.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=m&board=37138456&tid=apnigeriapipelineblast&sid=37138456&mid=164&n=1

Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Eastcoast(f): 3:30pm On May 12, 2006
This is really sad.
@Orinkala, do you think our people are just ignorant, i don't think so. i think itz more like survival of the fittest. people are forced to take extreme measures just to survive. Itz more like poverty.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by kajad(m): 3:53pm On May 12, 2006
Word eastcoast
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by loma(m): 4:07pm On May 12, 2006
Its realy sad. Is this oil a curse or a blessing?
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Eastcoast(f): 4:29pm On May 12, 2006
so far, i would say it is a blessing. if we didn't have oil, i believe nigeria would have had plenty famine.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by ikamefa(f): 4:36pm On May 12, 2006
we would have survived on our agriculture, what happened to the ground nut pyramids of old, exporting cocoa and all other agricultural products?
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Eastcoast(f): 4:38pm On May 12, 2006
nigerian's problem is just corruption. if not, we should be one of the richest countries in da world.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by ikamefa(f): 4:53pm On May 12, 2006
i agree but these people should be better educated not to go prancing around broken pipe lines , this same thing has happened a few years back, i guess when one is poor you take stupid risks to survive
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by uche1(m): 4:56pm On May 12, 2006
is really sad that this kind of things happen offthen and government are not doing anything to help the matter, well we should not blame everything that happens here on government, there is people in charge the NNPC people
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Orikinla(m): 5:36pm On May 12, 2006
On The Other Side of Yesterday

Nobody told me that it will not last forever
Nobody told me that it will soon be over.
Nobody told me that it is just for a while
Nobody told me that life is just a borrowed tale.
And as time goes by, life goes on.

Nobody told me that this world is only a passage
Nobody told me that we are only on a pilgrimage
Nobody told me that it is only a voyage
Nobody told me that it goes on from age to age.
And as time goes by, we all come and go.

Here today and gone tomorrow
And only the bereaved knows their sorrow.

Oh, Lord!
Give me your Word.
A messge of hope to a hopeless world.
That one fine day
All these horrors will pass away
On the other side of yesterday.

Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by bolex(m): 6:42pm On May 12, 2006
There should be an area for News o

Nigerian news

Anywayz

Latest News from home:

By Tom Ashby

INAGBE BEACH, Nigeria (Reuters) - A pipeline explosion killed up to 200 people on the outskirts of Lagos on Friday, leaving charred corpses on a sandy beach where locals tapping the pipe to steal fuel ignited the blast.

The Red Cross said the pipeline blew up in the early hours of the morning while thieves were siphoning fuel into jerry cans for sale on the black market. The massive explosion cooked everything within a 20 meter radius.

Only gray calcinated skulls and bones were left of five people who were closest to the pipeline, which had been dug out of the sand and bore marks of drilling in several places.

About 100 blackened, unrecognizable corpses were strewn on the water's edge a few meters away, where the golden sand was still steaming hot on Friday afternoon.

Some bodies, charred and bloated, floated in the waters of the creek, which is only about a mile from Lagos city center by boat.

"You can see the corpses. Some are burned to ash. Others are remnants. , We estimate 150 to 200 people died," Lagos State Police Commissioner Emmanuel Adebayo said at the scene.

Theft of petrol and crude oil from pipelines is common in Nigeria, an oil producing country where the vast majority of people live in poverty.

"This is caused by hunger and greed. If you've got no job and you're hungry you take advantage of anything to feed your family. Anyone who takes this kind of risk is desperate," said Olanrewaju Saka-Shenayon, a Lagos State government official.

The pipeline, which belongs to state company Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), runs just under the surface of Inagbe Beach, a stretch of golden sand on one of many islands that dot the Atlantic coast around Lagos.

It carries petrol from a large tanker jetty to a distribution depot inland.

Local government workers wearing rubber gloves hauled bodies out of the water and used a makeshift stretcher to carry them up the beach to a shallow grave a short distance away.

About a dozen police and a few Red Cross officials were at the scene.

Inagbe Beach is not a populated area but hundreds of mostly young men apparently came there to tap into the pipeline at the dead of night. The beach is a short distance away from the village of Ilado, where about 50 people died in a similar inferno last year.

A dilapidated port city home to an estimated 13 million people, Lagos has been hit before by devastating explosions. A blast at a munitions dump in 2002 killed more than 1,000 people.

In Jesse, in the southern state of Delta, a pipeline fire also caused by vandals killed about 250 people in 2000.

(Additional reporting by Tume Ahemba and Estelle Shirbon)

source: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=pipeline+lagos&meta=
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by kimba(m): 6:52pm On May 12, 2006
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by ikamefa(f): 7:03pm On May 12, 2006
is that not oil pipelines passing in front of peoples houses tell me why they would not break the pipe to take oil cry, when the poor keeps on getting poorer and our leaders keep on amassing humongous wealth
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by ababoy1(m): 7:09pm On May 12, 2006
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by mochafella(m): 7:11pm On May 12, 2006
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Orikinla(m): 7:44pm On May 12, 2006
I just want to show pictures of the truth on how the multinational oil companies and the government have destroyed our lands and exposed us to dangers with death staring us in the face.

But, we don't have to rush to fetch crude oil as if we are fetching water.

Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Rolly: 8:15pm On May 12, 2006
whats up with the explosion in lagos this morning? what happened?

i came to wokr today and someone was telling me that some 100 ppl died today?

who heard? pls whats the news and where did it happen?
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Rolly: 8:16pm On May 12, 2006
oh!!!! this is sooo sad!!! my God help us!! cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by dominobaby(f): 10:00pm On May 12, 2006
So sad.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by larger20(m): 11:51pm On May 12, 2006
sad but such a thing , i have to blame the dead
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Eastcoast(f): 1:46am On May 13, 2006
Nigeria needs help.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by curiousNja(f): 2:34am On May 13, 2006
Saw the pics. Pretty graphic. Whoever wants to see pics,
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c57589326%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

View at your own risk. It is VERY BAD.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by sade511(f): 4:08am On May 13, 2006
OMG shocked shocked shocked
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by LindaM1(f): 9:12am On May 13, 2006
angry this is the saddest thing I've ever heard! And it makes me angry. I will never blame poor people for doing what they think they have to do to survive. Desperation can drive people to do things they never considered. I cried when I saw this on my local news. It's just appalling. I am saying a prayer for Lagos tonight.

tears,
Linda M.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by wills(m): 10:58am On May 13, 2006
Sad, so, sad!!!!!

While the common man die, all our supposed leaders do, is skim, lie and argue to still stay in office, after 200, then what, president and governors for life??, , its only as a result of poverty and a total rape on the on the physic of our people that will make them ,to want to scoop fuel from a broken pipe line ,even knowing the dangers thereof and having heard and seen this disaster happened in the past.
May their Journey into eternity be worth it,cuz after all this here on earth it will be unimaginable to end up in another Fire. HELL!!!

LET’S PRAY FOR NIAJA!!!,
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Hunter(m): 11:41am On May 13, 2006
What a terriable waste of life.

Apparantly the reason why this has happened before is that when they go to tap into the pipeline they use an electrical drill.
The heat generated (because of high rpm) from the drill bit ignites the fuel

Orikinla:

I just want to show pictures of the truth on how the multinational oil companies and the government have destroyed our lands and exposed us to dangers with death staring us in the face.

But, we don't have to rush to fetch crude oil as if we are fetching water.

Pipelines are usually pretty safe, it's only when the structal integrity gets comprimised that there becomes a problem.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by medube(m): 12:24pm On May 13, 2006
kimba:

Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!
Terrorists!!!

I think you better figure out the great difference between terrorism and ignorance or stupidity. How can people cut a live oil pipe and think that it eventually wont cause harm.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by IAH(f): 4:19pm On May 13, 2006
Jesus! Those pictures are H-O-R-R-I-D! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by 2cantango(f): 4:40pm On May 13, 2006
O.M.G!!! - I am speechless after viewing those pics cry cry cry
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Orikinla(m): 5:08pm On May 13, 2006
I just read in the news that President Obasanjo has ordered for a probe to find out the cause of the pipeline explosion and I feel like slapping him!

Imagine the nonsense.
When pipelines are passing infront of houses and farmlands and even children sit on them and use them to play hide and seek.

This is the most embarrassing head of state in the history of Nigeria.

The villagers should sue the government and the NNPC.

Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by DaHitler(m): 5:15pm On May 13, 2006
Orikinla, do not post nonsense. What you just said is an insult to our current democracy. Do not compare OBJ to Abacha/IBB and co. And on what grounds would the villagers have to sue?

They broke the pipelines and they died for it. Yeah, I feel sorry for their families.

Save your appeal to the emotion for the ignorant.
Re: Oil Pipeline Explosion In Lagos Kills Up To 200 by Orikinla(m): 5:45pm On May 13, 2006
I have to see Dubya about you.
To deport you back to Nigeria and let me drag you by your tie to the Niger Delta for my boys to strip your pants and give you only 24 strokes of the cane on the exposed pipelines infront of the village. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking / House To Probe Minister Of Petroleum Over “Suspicious Oil Deals” / What Pdp Did To Apc Campaign At Ayobo,ipaja...photos Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.