Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,453 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel (7690 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Bags Decade's Best Female Authored / Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:21pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:
Protective styling is styling the hair in such a way that there is less damage.
Less damage to what, your natural hair? What are you protecting it for since you're not gonna use it anyways. All you gotta do is buy a weave or another form of hair to cover it.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Less damage to what, your natural hair? What are you protecting it for since you're not gonna use it anyways. All you gotta do is buy a weave or another form of hair to cover it.
Are you serious? undecided undecided

You guys really need to stop making daft statements.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 03, 2013
Seun: I think she's the best Nigerian writer by a long shot.

Seun, you need to get out more...

She's a good writer but definitely not the best Nigerian writer and definitely not on Ben Okri's level, to be honest..

You need to quit that ish you have been smoking of late, bro.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:25pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:
Your post reeks of ignorance. Even the white people you say we strive to look like wear extensions and not all of them have silky long hair. So you make no point really. I do however agree that some wear them for insecurities but saying all black women who do are insecure is just ridiculous. Wearing weave is not a clear cut indicator of insecurity.
It's really not about the reason why black women wear them individually but the reason why they embraced it as a form of fashion. The white dominated media has registered it in people's mind that to be considered fine, you have to look white in some way.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 03, 2013
Seun: I lost interest in the book when I learnt that it has a lot to do with hair or something. She looks different in this pic. Her eyebrows are messed up.

wowowooww, waooo, Now I see the reason you find it difficult to get hooked up.....Dissing my girl friend in this manner, anyway I love the eyebrows save ur compliments for us.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:29pm On May 03, 2013
shymexx:

She's a good writer but definitely not the best Nigerian writer and definitely not on Ben Okri's level, to be honest..

There's something called personal opinion. Why do you think he needs to get out more because he chose Adichie as his favourite. Who told you that he has not read books from other authors. Why is Ben Okri better than Adichie. I think you need to get out more. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 03, 2013
The storyline and concept won't win her any awards...

She needs to write about violence/controversies... Boko haram would be a great subject matter IMO... Controversy/violence sells - hence why her "Half of a Yellow Sun" was/is a bestseller...
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]She can't possibly be the best writer off all times. I think that's a joke and an insult to Nigerian writers. Saying she's the best writer of this era or generation sounds more plausible.[/size]

For this generation , She is the best...give me a Name
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:32pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:

What did i say that's wrong? How many times do you see ladies carrying their bare hair these days. Ifd it's not wig, it's attachment, if it's not attachment, it's Brazillian, indian, peruvian, rwandan etc. Thje inferiority complex is too much abeg.

1 Like

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by luvmijeje(f): 1:33pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
There's something called personal opinion. Why do you think he needs to get out more because he chose Adichie as his favourite. Who told you that he has not read books from other authors. Why is Ben Okri better than Adichie. I think you need to get out more. Lol.

He's the best change we've got at nicking another nobel prize for literature... His style of writing/mastery-of-the English language is impeccable... Adichie isn't even close at all!!

Anyway, don't derail the thread... Seun has been high for the past few day and it's obvious he's in planet X atm, and he needs someone to remind him from time to time that this is planet earth... wink
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 03, 2013
shymexx:

Did you say Ben okri, ....his stories dont cross the shores of Nigeria,
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:35pm On May 03, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

For this generation , She is the best...give me a Name
Best is a relative term. It's a matter of personal opinion. Even Chinua achebe cannot be said to be the best. He's just the most influential which is easier to know than the best. If you had said, most influential of this era, it would have made more sense.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Inik(m): 1:37pm On May 03, 2013
One of Nigeria"s best emerging writers. The problem i have with her and other Nigerian writers in the diaspora is that they tend to focus mostly on the bad side of the country in their writings. They are all seated on their high horses in the west and look down scornfully on our society. They should use their novels to project a good image to the outside world like Achebe did in Things fall apart. I am waiting for one of them to write a novel devoid of negative sentiments.
I'll definitely be looking forward to reading "Americanah".

1 Like

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 03, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Seun: I think she's the best Nigerian writer by a long shot.

You can say that again and again......pls u guys should pardon me, I got a weak point: Beauty and Brain and shape cry
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:37pm On May 03, 2013
shymexx:

He's the best change we've got at nicking another nobel prize for literature... His style of writing/mastery-of-the English language is impeccable... Adichie isn't even close at all!!
Even if he wins a nobel prize, he still can't be considered the best. It's a matter of personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
What did i say that's wrong? How many times do you see ladies carrying their bare hair these days. Ifd it's not wig, it's attachment, if it's not attachment, it's Brazillian, indian, peruvian, rwandan etc. Thje inferiority complex is too much abeg.
Inferiority complex? loool...anyway, to answer your question, I see a lot of women carry their bare hair. Keep exaggerating, you hear?

1 Like

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Best is a relative term. It's a matter of personal opinion. Even Chinua achebe cannot be said to be the best. He's just the most influential which is easier to know than the best. If you had said, most influential of this era, it would have made more sense.

Afam we are talking about her generation , our generation..... not Achebe's generation, BTW, whats the criterion of picking the best, i beleive its a general opinion thing and popularity
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On May 03, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Afam we are talking about her generation , our generation..... not Achebe's generation, BTW, whats the criterion of picking the best, i beleive its a general opinion thing and popularity
Popularity does not equal being the best. Tonto dike is the most treding celebrity in Nigeria today, does that make her the best entertainer? Chimamada is my favourite writer of this era but that does not mean i will force it down everyone's throat.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:
Inferiority complex? loool...anyway, to answer your question, I see a lot of women carry their bare hair. Keep exaggerating, you hear?

Which planet are you....You said "alot", probably in rural areas. i always have a fight with my wife for this, and beleive u me, her natural hair is more beautiful and richer than brazilian hair yet she prefer buying and wearing brazilian her.... its just a trend thing many mehn are fighting every day
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:
We're talking of city ladies here and not village girls. I'm yet to set my eyes on any yuppy girl that's carrying her natural hair except she's on her way to fix something on it. Lol.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 03, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Which planet are you....You said "alot", probably in rural areas. i always have a fight with my wife for this, and beleive u me, her natural hair is more beautiful and richer than brazilian hair yet she prefer buying and wearing brazilian her.... its just a trend thing many mehn are fighting every day
Excuse me? Where I am, I see a lot of black folks with bare hair, I mean A LOT!!
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by sholay2011(m): 1:49pm On May 03, 2013
shymexx: The storyline and concept won't win her any awards...

She needs to write about violence/controversies... Boko haram would be a great subject matter IMO... Controversy/violence sells - hence why her "Half of a Yellow Sun" was/is a bestseller...
You will be surprised but this book would win awards. Just wait and see. cool
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 03, 2013
shymexx: The storyline and concept won't win her any awards...

y do u think she is writing to get a prize? Una don come again shey?
She got inspired by sth and she is gon write abt that, simple.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
We're talking of city ladies here and not village girls. I'm yet to set my eyes on any yuppy girl that's carrying her natural hair except she's on her way to fix something on it. Lol.
I'm also talking about city ladies.

1 Like

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Popularity does not equal being the best. Tonto dike is the most treding celebrity in Nigeria today, does that make her the best entertainer? Chimamada is my favourite writer of this era but that does not mean i will force it down everyone's throat.

Lmao at you example, anyway thats a wrong comparism....an entertainner ( immoral acts spread more) and a writer( who can only be popular and well known based on the quality of her write up)....if u compare a musician and an actor then its acceptable.
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 03, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Did you say Ben okri, ....his stories dont cross the shores of Nigeria,

His books are out there... and most of his books are Nigeria-centric...
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 03, 2013
ItsModella:
Excuse me? Where I am, I see a lot of black folks with bare hair, I mean A LOT!!

My model, u know we cant argue this here.... i will let go
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 03, 2013
sholay2011:
You will be surprised but this book would win awards. Just wait and see. cool

I doubt it... the concept has no international appeal...

You need to get some controversy in there - that's why books about darfur, blood diamonds, wars etc. will continue to sell/win more awards than other books..
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by enemmo(f): 2:01pm On May 03, 2013
@ Seun.
I just read the novel,No its not just about hair.Its about a lot of things.About Love, About seeing another country through nigerian eyes(both the legal and illegal immigrants perspective),About the military era in the nineties (resulting in numerous ASUU strikes),About Nigerians and our love for religion (genuine and not genuine),About racism (yes that still exists),and yes hair!(African love for western hair). Its a really deep novel.Maybe all these themes made the novel a little bit bulky, but its a really good novel. Its very interesting and funny.Thumbs up for Chimamanda.
NB still waiting for the Purple Hibiscus movie o.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 03, 2013
shymexx:

His books are out there... and most of his books are Nigeria-centric...

thats what am saying he publish his first book 1980 and he is 54 yrs.... his time has almost expire, chi-baby is 35 and more of our generation than Ben okri
Re: Adichie Focuses On Nigeria's Present For Novel by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 03, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

thats what am saying he publish his first book 1980 and he is 54 yrs.... his time has almost expire, chi-baby is 35 and more of our generation than Ben okri

Age is nothing when it comes to literature and Ben won the Booker Prize(the alternative to the Nobel Prize) with The Famished Road in 1991... However, the debate is about who the best writer is... and Ben Okri is miles ahead of Adichie...

You don't really get that African realism/spiritualism/"culturism"/traditionalism mixed with modern fiction with Adichie's style... and that's what separates African writers from the rest of the world - the ability to mix Africanism and modernism to tell a story with international appeal...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Rapist / Child Bride / Should We Call It A New Beginning?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.