Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,469 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services (12432 Views)

Glo Slashes Rates For Its Blackberry Service / MTN Reviews Call Tariff: Call Rates As Low As 10kobo Across All Networks / Glo Introduces On-net 15k/sec And Off-net 20k/sec (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Shine1177: 4:52am On Apr 30, 2013
NCC Orders MTN To Collapse Rates

TELECOMMUNICATIONS regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission, has ordered MTN Nigeria to collapse the rates for its on-net and off-net voice services, which it said has a 300 per cent differential with effect from tomorrow, May 1.

The NCC, in a report titled, ‘Determination of dominance in selected communications markets in Nigeria,” signed by Mr. Eugene Juwah, Executive Vice Chairman, NCC, said it plans to make a determination of pricing principle to address the rates charged for on-net and off-net voice calls for all other operators, to manage dominance in the market.

The NCC also disclosed that competition in the Nigerian mobile voice market is not highly competitive, and using what it called the HHI, said MTN with 44 percent of the market share has emerged the dominant operator in the mobile voice segment.

According to Juwah, an industry review showed phone calls between MTN customers cost three times lower than calls to other networks, indicative of the likely establishment of a calling club for MTN subscribers.

Juwah said, “As a result of the determination outlined above, the Commission has resolved to immediately enforce and implement accounting separation on the dominant operator; ensure that the differential between the on-net and off-net retail tariffs will immediately collapsed, while the tariff for on-net and off-net will be the same and subject to periodic review.

“The Commission may require the dominant operator to submit details on specific aspects of its operations from time as the need arises.”

Continuing, in the wholesale Leased Lines and Transmission Capacity market, which are in the upstream segment of the telecoms market, the NCC said the dominant operators, MTN and Glo jointly control 62 per cent of the market, and they shall be required to adhere to the following obligations as the Commission will come up with a price cap for wholesale services and price floor for retail services, and subject to periodic review.

“The Commission will immediately enforce and implement account separation on the joint dominant operators.

“The commission may require any of the joint dominant operators to submit details on specific aspects of its operations from time to time as the need arises.

“The determination shall take effect from 1st May 2013 and remain valid and binding on Licenses for the services specified in relevant market segments of the section, until further reviewed by the Commission.”

NCC said there are about 113 million mobile phone subscribers at the end of 2012, with MTN Nigeria leading with 47 million lines.

Globacom followed with 24 million users, Bharti Airtel had 23 million customers while Etisalat, had 14 million.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/ncc-orders-mtn-to-collapse-rates/

2 Likes

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by outrage: 5:38am On Apr 30, 2013
This is the kind of news I like to hear.
On net- #2 per min
Off net- #5 per min
Sms- 50k
grin grin

I know, I too like myself.. I just hope it wouldn't cost people their jobs or reduce the employment they offer.

6 Likes

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by yusuf01(m): 7:02am On Apr 30, 2013
I like the fact that NCC seems to always go after MTN (most of the times), they control the largest share of the market, yet their network is not up to standard, coupled with their outrageous charges, it's about time!!!

1 Like

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by sagaciousblog: 7:20am On Apr 30, 2013
NICE IDEA
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 30, 2013
wow! 44% market share! MTN is equal to or greater than any two other operators combined!
MTN=Glo+Airtel
MTN>Airtel+Etisalat
No wonder internet with other operators is faster than MTN's, there is nobody using it!
But I still get 5.23mbps steady on my MTN.

5 Likes

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 30, 2013
Mtn will simply go packing very soon.

imagine how they ruined the F&F tariff plan.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Enegod(m): 7:56am On Apr 30, 2013
^^^

1 Like

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Drvu: 8:23am On Apr 30, 2013
I hate MTN. I don port o
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 30, 2013
I dnt bliv u ppl again nor be here i read say all voice call go crash to 4k/s on april 1st. Wetin kn happn?? Abi na april fool?? If u dnt lyk mtn PORT!!

5 Likes

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by luluosas(m): 9:02am On Apr 30, 2013
NCC, how about your recent new interconnect tariff regime? Why is it that, one month after, no network operator in Nigeria have effected this change on their network?
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by ITbomb(m): 9:57am On Apr 30, 2013
Why should NCC be complaining when the 44m others still believe they are the best .
Abeg MTN continue ur charges joor
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Bishop4bella(m): 1:47pm On Apr 30, 2013
We want them to reduce their call rate though...
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by lifestyle1(m): 1:47pm On Apr 30, 2013
gOOD nEWS... iTS pAY bAcK tIMe......
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by lifestyle1(m): 1:52pm On Apr 30, 2013
But wetin Emty Hen Do Nah? what of other network ?
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by leksgcfr(m): 2:18pm On Apr 30, 2013
Yungwizzzy: I dnt bliv u ppl again nor be here i read say all voice call go crash to 4k/s on april 1st. Wetin kn happn?? Abi na april fool?? If u dnt lyk mtn PORT!!
It was widely reported in the media as well and not only on Nairaland but I am equally surprised just as you are that the policy only featured on the pages of the newspapers. If that's done,the issue of Mtn call-cost difference would have been a thing of the past.
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by KrisJay(f): 2:38pm On Apr 30, 2013
Good one NCC,pls let other parastatal that control the public sector wake up.This kind of huge profits that banks are making on nigeria is it encouraging?.How can an Organisation do business in 1 yr and make profit of N50B after paying tax.
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by wordcat(m): 2:55pm On Apr 30, 2013
Lets go May.
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 30, 2013
So does it mean dat I can call Airtel or Glo for as low as 8k/Secs?
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by toluxa1(m): 3:21pm On Apr 30, 2013
KrisJay: Good one NCC,pls let other parastatal that control the public sector wake up.This kind of huge profits that banks are making on nigeria is it encouraging?.How can an Organisation do business in 1 yr and make profit of N50B after paying tax.

Which kind bad belle be this abeg
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by delords2: 3:24pm On Apr 30, 2013
Na today them start to cheat us? MTN's (Most Troubled Network) major goal is to robe Nigerians with exorbitant call rates and monopolize the mobile biz yet the quality of their service is still the WORST.
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by ayotolah: 3:33pm On Apr 30, 2013
Imanuelle: Mtn will simply go packing very soon.

imagine how they ruined the F&F tariff plan.

And what after they go parking? You don't think of the implications? It's not about seeing the back of your 'supposed enemy'. It's what happens afterwards that matter.

And Family and Friends issue? System failure...already resolved#
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Uffakowoicho(m): 3:35pm On Apr 30, 2013
Another story again?
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by rman: 3:41pm On Apr 30, 2013
MTN has the cheapest on net calls? Even three times cheaper than any other operator? Unbelievable!

NCC should have made others bring their(on net calls) down instead of compelling MTN to bring off net call charges down.

Nigeria currently have close to 18,000 base stations in total ( all operators combined), MTN has more than 7000, which around 40% (estimated). Their market dominance is no fluke.

Other operators need to roll out massively,

Telecoms services is a game of numbers, you need to continously invest and expand or you will be left behind.

I think GLO's sojourn into Ghana really slowed them down here. Otherwise MTN won't give everyone so much gap. Etisalat came so late and the constantly changes of ownership in Airtel didn't help.

Don't blame MTN, blame the others for not having a superior business strategy.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Kins7778: 4:11pm On Apr 30, 2013
my problem no be MTN,what of Dstv tarrif my problem no be MTN,what of Dstv tarrif

1 Like

Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Koolmexxi(m): 4:12pm On Apr 30, 2013
rman: MTN has the cheapest on net calls? Even three times cheaper than any other operator? Unbelievable!

NCC should have made others bring their(on net calls) down instead of compelling MTN to bring off net call charges down.

Nigeria currently have close to 18,000 base stations in total ( all operators combined), MTN has more than 7000, which around 40% (estimated). Their market dominance is no fluke.

Other operators need to roll out massively,

Telecoms services is a game of numbers, you need to continously invest and expand or you will be left behind.

I think GLO's sojourn into Ghana really slowed them down here. Otherwise MTN won't give everyone so much gap. Etisalat came so late and the constantly changes of ownership in Airtel didn't help.

Don't blame MTN, blame the others for not having a superior business strategy.
Bros dat's why dey are going afta Empty Hen, empty has been setting d precedence ryt from wen d other vmobile got confused. As d biggest controller of d market dey decide d rates and others follow. Their is really no competition wen it comes to off-net calls cos none of d ntwrk's are offering any beta off-net call rates witout having to put a clause or condition on the package. Dat's why ppl wuld rather call mtn with mtn, glo with glo and vice versa. Once d differential btwn on-net and off-net calls dat is wen nigerians can really heave a sigh of relieve.
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
Re: MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 30, 2013
i check d above responses and i laugh in spanish igbo..... grin grin grin if mtn is mandated to reduce call rate simply because they av more subscribers, ASK URSELVES THESES QUESTIONS....
1.what do u think will happen to d nos of subscribers?----

2.If their call rate is obviously cheaper dan other networks, who do u think will av more ported nos on their network?---

3. what will happen to d call rate of other networks? increase or no change?......

IT'S A WIN-WIN FOR MTN!!! abi na another strategy from MTN?

(1) (2) (Reply)

(photo) Gta San Andres Doesn't Play On My Phone. Please Help / OPPO launches A1k and A5s Mid Range Smartphones Into The Nigerian Market / How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.