Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars (1983 Views)

Ghastly Accident Along Jos-bauchi Road - Warning Graphic Photos / UK Police Need Help Identifying African Man Who Fell From The Sky / Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 4:42am On Apr 15, 2008

What sort of country is this whereby an IT Consultant and a Doctor have to submit six months payslips and twelve months bank statement in order to prove where they obtained £473 and £1050 from?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

The irony of this whole saga (BA Vs Ayodeji) is that the people whose head are stuck up the arses of "the police who can do no wrong", have failed to grasp that this gentlemen was initially arrested for affray and disturbance, and held for only 8 hours, out of the maximum of 72 hours that UK police are allowed to detain a suspect in order to bring a charge.

This chap was released after only 8 hours and then bailed to return for "traceability"
, a jargon for being suspected of being involved in money laundering crime for having a mind-boggling grand total of £1613, a sum of which two-third of the money (£1050) belonged to his cousin whom happened to be a doctor. As a matter of fact, under the money laundering acts, people are allowed to have up to £3000 on them without being subjected to any questioning.

Now this guy and his cousin (the doctor) have been asked to produce six months pay-slips and 12 months bank statement to prove the money is not from the proceeds of crime. Since there is no smoke without fire, methinks the police are now starting to insinuate that the guy could be a fraudster(419er) and have in fact been granted a further 90 days to investigate this amount, and to think that they are only allowed detain a potential terrorist for only 30 days, hmmn, words fail me.

Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by EloSela(f): 8:16am On Apr 15, 2008
I guess these are bogus charges for giving the Police cause to come and get him from the plane. Ayo, himself, even alludes so here:

'I will not want to believe that the authorities involved in the situation deliberately or cleverly punished me unnecessarily out of frustration' - Ayo Omotade

The Police aren't right, but Ayo brought it on himself.

'. . .when I was voicing my concerns about the disturbances caused by the deportees.' - Ayo Omotade

I am sure he is realizes that now and is wondering if opening his mouth because the disturbances caused by the Deportee were was worth missing his brother's wedding for. undecided

Note that he clearly states 'Disturbances' and not he thought the Deportee was in harms way.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by kokorunna(m): 9:22am On Apr 15, 2008
I believe naijas should stand up for this guy and make several complaints to BA.

Unfair treatment, no bi there faulty. Na the crazy naija government wey they cause all this nonsence.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by jaybee3(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2008
Petition for you guys to sign alas stand for what is right (as long as the whole saga actually happened)

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/component/option,com_philaform/Itemid,214/form_id,6/
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 7:21pm On Apr 15, 2008
Yes but common peeps, it is still not right for an IT Consultant and a Doctor to provide bank statement and payslips for twelve months and six months respectively. The woman whose daughter got killed in Goa a month ago managed to save the £7000 she used to fund her trip from benefits.

This needs to be nipped in the bud pronto, the Uk police force are known for taking the mile when given an inch.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2008
@ Mr Moderator

, all night

now too        
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by MrPataki1: 1:40pm On Apr 16, 2008
big_bumper:

@ Mr Moderator

, all night

now too

Gosh!!!! This princess is something else!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by 2Legit: 1:59pm On Apr 16, 2008
big_bumper:

Now this guy and his cousin (the doctor) have been asked to produce six months pay-slips and 12 months bank statement to prove the money is not from the proceeds of crime. Since there is no smoke without fire, methinks the police are now starting to insinuate that the guy could be a fraudster(419er) and have in fact been granted a further 90 days to investigate this amount, and to think that they are only allowed detain a potential terrorist for only 30 days, hmmn, words fail me.

The onus is actually on the police to prove that the money is from proceeds of crime. To expect the guys to produce such as proof of innocence is an assumption that they are guilty and contravenes their right to be held innocent until proven guilty
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 2:16pm On Apr 16, 2008
2Legit:

The onus is actually on the police to prove that the money is from proceeds of crime. To expect the guys to produce such as proof of innocence is an assumption that they are guilty and contravenes their right to be held innocent until proven guilty
You are very correct in your assertion but seriously don't you think this is nit-picking gone too far. Even an employee on a minimum wage of £5.25 an hour should not be charged with the indignation of providing proof of £473 talk less of a doctor or an IT consultant.

Is this issue not in the same vein of police stopping black people in driving "supposedly" flashy car and asking them to prove what job they do in order to be able to afford such cars? angry
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by funkybaby(f): 2:17pm On Apr 16, 2008
@Siena

hmm. I do not know if this the most appropriate place to post this,

Happy Birthday. Wishing you many more fruitful, prosperous and funky years on earth.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2008
happy birthday to ya, happy birthday to ya, happy birthday. We no go wash am?
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by MrPataki1: 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2008
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! shocked shocked cheesy cheesy

Oga Siena!!!!

Long life and prosperity. Wishing you all the best of today!!!!
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2008
Siena:

Big Bumper, Funkybaby and Mr Pataki, thank you very much.

Much appreciated! smiley

Na thank you we go chop angry tongue
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 4:14pm On Apr 16, 2008
You don forget say I be naija woman, it is not my culture pay o, we respect our man too much as the head of the household and know he would feel threatened and hurt if we don't let him pay. tongue
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by IncaGold(m): 5:50pm On Apr 16, 2008
Elosela,
were u come from? u've a very myopic view. pls learn to be objective.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by LondonCool(m): 7:22pm On Apr 16, 2008
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by bigbumper(f): 2:46pm On Apr 17, 2008
LondonCool:

The Police have no right to ask him to produce his payslips, et al.They first of all have to levy charges against him, then its left for him to defend himself. Any smart Human Rights Lawyer will just take the Police to the cleaners.

True, but not only have they done that, they also got the go ahead and the priviledge of 90 days by the Magistrates at the court that he was arraigned to.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by brownbonno(m): 10:32pm On Apr 17, 2008
LondonCool:

The Police have no right to ask him to produce his payslips, et al.They first of all have to levy charges against him, then its left for him to defend himself. Any smart Human Rights Lawyer will just take the Police to the cleaners.

I envy some of your posts in other threads,but here i beg to differ.The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE) is very explicit on the discharge of their duties. Any obstruction on discharge of their duty is an offence which could lead to criminal investigation.
The police have every right to request proof of income in this case to establish source of the cash.In any criminal investigation all stone must be unturned(forensic).I don;t want to go into further details since the case is already in court.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by admin2008(m): 1:21am On Apr 21, 2008
brownbonno:

I envy some of your posts in other threads,but here i beg to differ.The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE) is very explicit on the discharge of their duties. Any obstruction on discharge of their duty is an offence which could lead to criminal investigation.
The police have every right to request proof of income in this case to establish source of the cash.In any criminal investigation all stone must be unturned(forensic).I don;t want to go into further details since the case is already in court.

I beg to differ with your post to. The guy was initially charged with violence and affray. If he had been charged with obstruction, he would have been arrested and charged under the Public Disorder Act, not under money laundering act and proceeds of crime act which he is being lumbered with.

I stumbled upon some of your posts too regarding immigration issues, and must say I was fully impressed, I used to think only the travel fraternity had all the answers  lipsrsealed.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by 2Legit: 4:23pm On May 02, 2008
Dem sef be wetin you carry. If dem go naija, dem go worse pass naija police sef
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by lucabrasi(m): 10:15pm On May 02, 2008
the nigerian govt stance now is for them to pay compensation to the affected nigerians which is realli cool,the ll have to confront the bare facts and admit their wrongs useless people
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by admin2008(m): 11:13pm On May 02, 2008
lucabrasi:

the nigerian govt stance now is for them to pay compensation to the affected nigerians which is realli cool,the ll have to confront the bare facts and admit their wrongs useless people

And I bet they would pay up quickly because Nigerian route is one of their most lucrative route and they know Virgin is breathing down their neck and can't wait for them to trip up so that they can take over.
Re: Warning: UK police too don start wetin you carry/show me your particulars by lucabrasi(m): 3:38am On May 03, 2008
abi o,im realli startn to change my stance on some of our leaders because they r startn to show some concern for nigerians in the diaspora and generally,i just dont understand the deal with our high commissions and what they are really doing apart from issuing passports and sitting down in their offices drinking coffee, i hope the government will start using career diplomats for places like uk,usa,europe because at least they ll know what to do than always usng it as political appointments

(1) (Reply)

Need Help To Get Cheapest Flight From Lagos To Trinidad And Tobago / Cost Of Sending A Document Via DHL Express(urgent) / I Am Looking For A Short Let Accomodation For A Lady In Phoenix For 2mnths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.