Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,084 members, 7,845,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

What Is The Gospel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Gospel? (839 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / Gospel Singer Sinach Is PREGNANT! (Photos) / The Gospel Of Barnabas(the True Forgotten Gospel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 12:49pm On Apr 30, 2013
Recent posts from most threads here shows how ignorant most christians are on the cardinal theme of christianity. Jesus Christ who is the main character in the story of the gospel gave us what most christians refer to as the 'great commission' in Mathew 28:18-20 and Mark16:15 says- go ye into all the world and PREACH THE GOSPEL to every creature". Please, what is THIS GOSPEL? Does it include hell/heaven, the law, dressing, etc? Can we say most of what is preached in our churches today is the gospel Jesus told us to preach?what makes some teachings heresies and some sound? What is THE GOSPEL?
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 1:47pm On Apr 30, 2013
Christembassey
As much as you should endeavor to uphold sound doctrine, it is easy to read your own prejudice into a post. Already the language of your OP will put off those who want to contribute. So let us allow folks to tell what they think the gospel of Christ is and let's not put them on the defensive at the very start.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 2:58pm On Apr 30, 2013
DrummaBoy: Christembassey
As much as you should endeavor to uphold sound doctrine, it is easy to read your own prejudice into a post. Already the language of your OP will put off those who want to contribute. So let us allow folks to tell what they think the gospel of Christ is and let's not put them on the defensive at the very start.
thanks bro, but i thought those were mere 'leading' questions , having said that, no ambushing intended. Peace.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by Goshen360(m): 3:17pm On Apr 30, 2013
The gospel is Christ himself, his teachings (Mark 1:1) and the all-inclusive Grace of God wrapped up in Christ, Acts 20:24. That is the gospel. It is the gospel of the manifold Grace of God made known to men. If any man or angel preach any other gospel, such should be accused. Galatians 1:8. So when Christ said, "Go into the world and preach the gospel...". What he's saying is, "go and preach ME (Christ) + my finished works" to the world and hence, we preach CHRIST and HIM CRUCIFIED. To some, it is an offense and to others, it is foolishness. 1 Corinthians 1:23. We can further continue to unfold\explore the gospel of Christ.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 6:01pm On Apr 30, 2013
Goshen360: The gospel is Christ himself, his teachings (Mark 1:1) and the all-inclusive Grace of God wrapped up in Christ, Acts 20:24. That is the gospel. It is the gospel of the manifold Grace of God made known to men. If any man or angel preach any other gospel, such should be accused. Galatians 1:8. So when Christ said, "Go into the world and preach the gospel...". What he's saying is, "go and preach ME (Christ) + my finished works" to the world and hence, we preach CHRIST and HIM CRUCIFIED. To some, it is an offense and to others, it is foolishness. 1 Corinthians 1:23. We can further continue to unfold\explore the gospel of Christ.
so the gospel is Christ +the finished work, pls what do you mean by FINISHED WORK? God bless u plenty.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 8:57pm On Apr 30, 2013
A book 'Bedrock' by David Prior had this account: the author told the story of his early yrs in ministr/seminary. He was expected to preach a recent message of his before his seminary profs. By the time he was through, one of them asked him 'so where is the gospel in all you have said'. He said from that day on he always preached first emphasizing the gospel before proceeding to his message.
The gospel were the opening 3 chapters of Paul to the Ephesian. Only after stating the gospel does a preacher have the right to admonish.
The gospel is GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2013
What then is this GOOD NEWS
1. That Christ Jesus died to save sinners for which I am chief.
2. That in the cross of Jesus there is JUSTIFICATION which I must appropriate by FAITH alone with out resort to any external works, laws or duties.
3. That Jesus' blood has made PEACE btw me and God so I can approach the throne of grace with confidence.
4. That there is a SURE HOPE kept in heaven for me, secured by the blood of the Lamb.
5. That God has given me his Spirit as a down payment and as an assurance of His eternal kingdom.
6. That I have the witness of God in my heart that I am His child and can cry HABBA FATHER
7. That sin has no dominion over me.
8. That Jesus ever lives to make intercession for me.
9. That the mercies of God, the Sure Mercies to David, is everlasting: My past, present and future sins are hidden in Jesus Cross.
10. That God is working in me to be as He is in heaven.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2013
DrummaBoy: A book 'Bedrock' by David Prior had this account: the author told the story of his early yrs in ministr/seminary. He was expected to preach a recent message of his before his seminary profs. By the time he was through, one of them asked him 'so where is the gospel in all you have said'. He said from that day on he always preached first emphasizing the gospel before proceeding to his message.
The gospel were the opening 3 chapters of Paul to the Ephesian. Only after stating the gospel does a preacher have the right to admonish.
The gospel is GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
so the gospel is good news, right? Something that gladens the heart or remove fear and gives hope, like some one just paid ur debts, a cure has been found for odawise incurable disease, you've been awarded a contract, given a new appointment etc etc etc. I believe, this is what the world need most today, i mean, the gospel.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:22pm On Apr 30, 2013
I am tempted to continue:
11: That Jesus said he would never leave nor forsake me.
12. That Jesus said none of this ones which the Father has given him will He loose: my security is not so much in what I do but in what He has done.
13. That NOTHING can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus
14. That He that gave did not withhold His only Son for my redemption, how shall He not freely with Him give me all things (FREELY: I need not purchase his blessings with giving, tithe firstfruit, or duties). IT IS FREE!!!
15. That this God that I serve can do exceeding abundantly than I can ever ask or think
16. That He is able to save me to the uttermost
17. That I have been given a spirit of holiness
18. That He that raised up His Son from death how shall He not quicken my mortal bodies: restoring health and vitality to them.
19. That my God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus.
20: ... And I have found PEACE with God
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:31pm On Apr 30, 2013
Christemmbassey
Security in the gospel or sound knowledge of the good news is the greatest impetus to Christian duties.
So many people think that a gospel/doctrine of grace is licence to sin but no: it licence to love. A sincere love for God that over spills to love for the man he has created and love births the fruit of the spirit. It is no longer an arduous task to fulfill duties but an over spill of love that lead inevitably to good works.
I find that a death of the proclamation of good news in our churches has led to legalism, frustration, hypocrisy, self righteousness and a general tendency to tear one another apart.
I give kudos to folks like Goshen who remind us of the gospel of Jesus inspire of unfortunate attacks from many quarters.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 10:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
DrummaBoy: Christemmbassey
Security in the gospel or sound knowledge of the good news is the greatest impetus to Christian duties.
So many people think that a gospel/doctrine of grace is licence to sin but no: it licence to love. A sincere love for God that over spills to love for the man he has created and love births the fruit of the spirit. It is no longer an arduous task to fulfill duties but an over spill of love that lead inevitably to good works.
I find that a death of the proclamation of good news in our churches has led to legalism, frustration, hypocrisy, self righteousness and a general tendency to tear one another apart.
I give kudos to folks like Goshen who remind us of the gospel of Jesus inspire of unfortunate attacks from many quarters.
the gospel, the gospel, the gospel, oh that pastors will preach the gospel and see how Nigeria will change for good. As for Goshens teaching on Grace, i adopt it whole heartedly, some ppl fear that Grace is licence to sin, these are miracle seeking church goers because the gospel of Grace actually sets us free from sin, a christian is some one who is born again and has the life(sinless zoe) of Christ in him . And the gospel is proclaiming the availabilgvy of this life of Christ. Peace.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by Goshen360(m): 11:03pm On Apr 30, 2013
@ christemmbassey,

I will return later to answer your question and expand on it, maybe tomorrow. We need to get this Gospel of Grace. The gospel is the cure to every human shortcomings.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 8:27am On May 01, 2013
If I were to say what the gospel is, I might say something similar to the aforementioned, but I said all I could to my teacher but He said that isn't what the gospel is. In fact, He is keeping me in suspense until 21st May when He will be discussing what the good news is (through the scriptures).
I hope I will get more expo through this OP.

The closest I could find in the Book was when Apostle Paul said 'For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for i[b]t is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes[/b], for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Like I said,I will patiently wait to see if anyone can help.
Peace and Grace to us all.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 12:47pm On May 01, 2013
demi
Who is your teacher? Tell us about him. Why does he dis-agree with you?
Re: What Is The Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 2:14pm On May 01, 2013
DrummaBoy: demi
Who is your teacher? Tell us about him. Why does he dis-agree with you?

He is a Bible teacher in London, very sound in the word of God,He heads our home style Bible study called oasis community. He has this way of surprising me with little details I take for granted in the Bible. That topic is the exact topic He would be talking about at our next breakfast meeting,so He has refused to let anything out until then.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by okeyxyz(m): 4:32pm On May 01, 2013
christemmbassey:
Jesus Christ who is the main character in the story of the gospel gave us what most christians refer to as the 'great commission' in Mathew 28:18-20 and Mark16:15 says- go ye into all the world and PREACH THE GOSPEL to every creature". Please, what is THIS GOSPEL? Does it include hell/heaven, the law, dressing, etc? Can we say most of what is preached in our churches today is the gospel Jesus told us to preach?what makes some teachings heresies and some sound? What is THE GOSPEL?

The gospel simply means: we are liberated from the laws of moses. So from the highlighted above; preaching to all creatures means: Our participation in all things and knowledge of the universe is now freely open for us to use, unlike in The Law which kept banning these things, saying "thous shalt not.., thou shalt not..". But in the gospel of christ says "yes and amen..." to everything. I other words, nothing natural(of the kingdom of god) can be sinful. Everything is created for us to use and enjoy, whether food, drink, sex, knowledge, clothes, jewelry, etc. EVERYTHING!! is pure/good.

To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled(Titus 1:15 )
Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 6:06pm On May 01, 2013
demi
1. What is your bible class like: pls give me a template.
2. Let us have the points when he's started the teaching
3. Does he have a website?
Re: What Is The Gospel? by Goshen360(m): 8:21pm On May 01, 2013
Habinger:

This is my contribution: The word “Gospel” means “good news”, it is the amazing news of God's eternal plan of salvation for all of humanity through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ the Messiah. (Romans10:8-10)

SUBDIVISIONS OF THE GOSPEL MESSAGE

There are four main different aspects of the gospel but all are the same good news about Jesus Christ and the way for our total redemption; this should not confuse us, Paul the apostle made mention of the milk and strong meat in the bible, differentiating between the gospel message made for babies in Christ and for the mature people. (Hebrews5:12-14).We must acknowledge the fact gospel have subdivisions, there is basic teachings of Christ for the infants and higher revelation of Christ for the adults and the fathers in Christ…

1.The gospel of the grace of God

But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God (Act20:24).

The good news of the grace of God is that Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law being made a curse for us, for it is written, cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree that the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith (Galatians3:13-14).

2.The glorious gospel of Christ

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them (2Corinthians4:3-4).

The glorious good news is about the perfection of the believers in Christ after our justification, sanctification follows, and now we (the church) are going through the process of internal purification unto glorification(Colosians1:27-28).

3.The gospel of the kingdom

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come (Matthew 24:14).

The good news of the kingdom is the message about the soon coming Messiah’s kingdom on earth (Luke1:32-33). In Mathew 24:14, the kingdom gospel is to be preached in the entire world for a witness unto all nations. “A witness” signifies that it is to be preached by power; the total manifestation of Christ’s lifestyle (1 Corinthians 4:20). All nations have to see Jesus Christ walking physically again on this earth through the church, which is His body, after that Christ will appear in the sky, coming to set up His kingdom.  Jesus Christ is coming back for a glorious sinless church that has no spot or wrinkle. The creatures are now waiting to hear the gospel of the kingdom, and then the end will come.

4.The Everlasting gospel

And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters (Revelation14:6).

The everlasting gospel is the final hour message, the immeasurable revelation of immortality of the saints in Christ and the final judgment of the ungodly people. After the kingdom age, the church will finally be translated to immortality to reign in the new paradise that Lord has prepared for us even before the world began. (1Cor,15: 50-56)

It is significant for the preachers of the gospel to preach the total gospel; the whole counsel of God, just as Paul the apostle declared to the elders of the church in Ephesus…For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God (Act20:17-27.) There are some ministers who have chosen to stick to one particular message instead of sharing the total counsel of God, such people will never bring believers into complete maturity in Christ, because for as not eating properly will cause malnutrition, so it is in the things of the spirit. Hearing the same sermon, every Sunday in church causes lack of spiritual maturity. It takes revelation not religious doctrines and dogmas to bring people unto the complete knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

^

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

^

Goshen360:

This is the TRUE GOSPEL OF CHRIST. This is the gospel that Jesus preached from the beginning.

Math 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15
The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

This is the gospel that Paul proclaims throughout his ministry.

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

This is the gospel that Peter preached on the day of Pentecost.

Acts 2:22-24
Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know. Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

This is the gospel that Paul says is the power of God

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.  

This is the gospel that is not being preached by the church today. Instead the church has substituted a false gospel, a powerless gospel that is really no gospel at all.

Gal 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

The so called gospel that is preached today is the “ask Jesus into your heart” gospel.  It is the gospel that says ‘Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life’ It is the gospel of the so called sinners prayer which is found nowhere in scripture. The gospel of give and get. Yes, Jesus loves us but doesn't love our sins and worldliness and dead word. He doesn't love our rebellion against God. He is jealous we taking side with the devil and the worldly practices. We must seek the kingdom of God first which starts with repentance from our sins and dead works and ALL other things will follow.

May the Spirit of God convict us of our shortcomings as we read this article.

Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:47pm On May 01, 2013
^excellent piece Goshen. I must study it over and over
Re: What Is The Gospel? by mahdino: 7:31am On May 02, 2013
christemmbassey: Recent posts from most threads here shows how ignorant most christians are on the cardinal theme of christianity. Jesus Christ who is the main character in the story of the gospel gave us what most christians refer to as the 'great commission' in Mathew 28:18-20 and Mark16:15 says- go ye into all the world and PREACH THE GOSPEL to every creature". Please, what is THIS GOSPEL? Does it include hell/heaven, the law, dressing, etc? Can we say most of what is preached in our churches today is the gospel Jesus told us to preach?what makes some teachings heresies and some sound? What is THE GOSPEL?
If u read in the bible u will see that the diciples of Jesus accounted, that Jesus Went to places and preached the gospel. That means the inspiration he receive from God,that is the GOSPEL
Re: What Is The Gospel? by mahdino: 8:36am On May 02, 2013
christemmbassey: Recent posts from most threads here shows how ignorant most christians are on the cardinal theme of christianity. Jesus Christ who is the main character in the story of the gospel gave us what most christians refer to as the 'great commission' in Mathew 28:18-20 and Mark16:15 says- go ye into all the world and PREACH THE GOSPEL to every creature". Please, what is THIS GOSPEL? Does it include hell/heaven, the law, dressing, etc? Can we say most of what is preached in our churches today is the gospel Jesus told us to preach?what makes some teachings heresies and some sound? What is THE GOSPEL?
If u read in the bible u will see that the diciples of Jesus accounted, that Jesus Went to places and preached the gospel. That means the inspiration he receive from God,that is the GOSPEL If u read in the bible u will see that the diciples of Jesus accounted, that Jesus Went to places and preached the gospel. That means the inspiration he receive from God,that is the GOSPEL
Re: What Is The Gospel? by mahdino: 8:37am On May 02, 2013
Goshen360:

^ If u read in the bible u will see that the diciples of Jesus accounted, that Jesus Went to places and preached the gospel. That means the inspiration he receive from God,that is the GOSPEL

^

Re: What Is The Gospel? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:17am On May 02, 2013
Madhino, I don't get you
Re: What Is The Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 12:35pm On May 02, 2013
I believe maldiino's question is -what gospel was Jesus preaching before His death and Ressurection?
Re: What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 4:13pm On May 02, 2013
@all Thans, am still preparing my contribution. Peace.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by christemmbassey(m): 12:48pm On May 06, 2013
The gospel to me is clearly undastood if we look at it from the perspective of 'good news', why is it a 'good news' ? In genesis chapter 3 when Adam fell, God made a promise of a redemption plan , so the gospel is the announcement of the fvlfilllment of this promise by Christ, man has been returned to that predisobedience era when Adam was in control of God's creation and in fellowship with God. He dosnt need to give God anything to function or realise the purpose of his existence, man is fully restored to be fruitful, multiply, replenish the earth and subdue it and have dominion (gen 1:27) thats the gospel and good news.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 4:49pm On May 14, 2013
DrummaBoy: demi
1. What is your bible class like: pls give me a template.
2. Let us have the points when he's started the teaching
3. Does he have a website?

http://www.oasis-communityuk.org/
Re: What Is The Gospel? by Goshen360(m): 2:45am On May 15, 2013
^ I will try listen. A glance seems to be a good stuff. Bookmarked.
Re: What Is The Gospel? by shdemidemi(m): 6:20am On May 15, 2013
Goshen360: ^ I will try listen. A glance seems to be a good stuff. Bookmarked.

Please do bro, It is refreshing ..
Re: What Is The Gospel? by Horus(m): 11:02pm On Oct 06, 2013
The hidden etymological meaning of the word Gospel is Ghost Spell or Spell of the Ghost. They have you worshiping a white Ghost, (a white Jesus). Now you have to break the spell you have been under

1 Like

Re: What Is The Gospel? by idumuose(m): 12:27am On Oct 07, 2013
Horus: The hidden etymological meaning of the word Gospel is Ghost Spell or Spell of the Ghost. They have you worshiping a white Ghost, (a white Jesus). Now you have to break the spell you have been under
Ɣ☺u are right Horus. Ɣ☺u are under a demonic spell indeed.
This Gospel that will preach will liberate Ɣ☺u from demonic
spell.

(1) (Reply)

Atheist Meet Victor J. Zammit / Sanusi Freeze Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches / Power Of Tongue(death And Life Are In The Power Of Tongue)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.