Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,150 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja (25615 Views)

Canal Being Blocked In Agungi, Lekki. / Qatar Air Blocked From Plying Kano Route / 5 Nigerians Die In Car Crash In New York After Disobeying Traffic Lights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by toshacer: 7:26am On May 03, 2013
deenee: One question for the poster is it the government that blocked the drainage? I am not a fan of our present government because I am of the opinion that they can do way and far better than what currently obtains but I won't at the same time agree with this mentality of passing the bulk which has become the norm in Nigeria.

I have seen people disobey traffic lights, vandalise them, throw litter in drainages and yet blame govt. The irony of all these is that these same people behave like exactly opposite when they travel outside the shores of Nigeria.

The change we are all clamouring for has to start from us as individuals if not we are in for a long haul.

God bless Nigeria!

Like that monkey called Tunna.
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 8:03am On May 03, 2013
phildon: I have been seeing... not I have being seeing...
grin the former is used for past tense, whilst the later is used for present continuous tense as well as for creatures. You choose which one is correct.

Thanks.
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Litmus: 11:05am On May 03, 2013
There's no doubt we lack maintenance culture but what i find more worrying is if we have the ability to develop one. I'm not sure it is a question of evolution, I'm frightened our lack might be at the genetic level. This i fear might be an affliction of the browns and blacks because you find this symptom- more or less- all over Africa and South America. Let's be frank, all our model of development is copied from whites,and this may be the problem.

But thank god I'm Nigerian, the nature of the country seemed to have imbued in us the ability to think. Thus i suggest that, firstly, we may have to start thinking of ways to build things, which takes into reckoning the possibility that, for whatever reasons, we may never inculcate a maintenance culture into the current system. Secondly, draw relevance from our own cultures.

In the first example we build for permanence, example lay down metal roads smiley that never require repairing, mix paint in cement so that we need never paint, we invest in solar energy, homes with reservoirs etc ( btw these are for,just-so-you get-the-idea, purposes)

In the second example,we draw from culture, i remember reading, for instance, that many African cultures had a form of guild system. Therefore you might have a guild of builders, guild of electricians,guild of environmental health etc. they'd be dedicated schools affiliated to these guilds, so a kid might attend the builders primary school,go on to the builders college and then go on to University of Architecture etc....
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by bioye(m): 11:32am On May 03, 2013
I seem to understand where theLastPope is coming from. Peeps don't have to attack him personally to prove their points.

Let's err on the side of courtesy here. It's true that Nigeria could do much better than we are doing right now. However, in the process of trying to make your points, don't overdo it. Yeah yeah, 'some' traffic lights and drainages need maintainance in Abuja. But don't give the impression that 'all' or 'most' of these facilities don't work. Let's criticise non-performance but be humble enough to applaud performance. What percentage of traffic lights don't work in Abuja? I can confirm that in the last couple of weeks for example, lots of traffic lights have been fixed and new ones erected in many parts of Abuja. But nobody is talking about that. Mr. poster, if indeed you live in Abuja, you should be able to acknowledge this!

How can we make progress when every discussion degenerates into insults and flame wars? Why can't we pocket our egos and try to communicate mutually to address issues? Why can't we be objective about truths? Why can't we respect the other poster's point of view and counter it logically?

At least the poster didn't post pictures of potholes in Abuja.
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 03, 2013
Amya: Ridiculous thread!
Ridiculous poster!
Ridiculous commenters!

What I hate above every other thing here in Nairaland is ridiculous threads like this that almost always make the front page.

Thread that just aim at robbing Nigeria of the little dignity it has left. If Oyinbo castigates Nigeria, you mumu son of the soil will also castigate. This is always spare headed by those diaspora Nigerians that want to use every opportunity to justify their migration to other lands.
Change policies my A**! Who is fooling who? Who is the government? Are they not Nigerians? Can you honestly say you would be different when you get up there to the helm of affairs. How has any of you running your mouths here tried in you own little way to make a change around you. Have any of you engaged in community service just because we believe in the bigger picture? Spend our saturdays sweeping streets as volunteers? Doing good just for the sake of it! We don't do that! Only come to public forums and whine about government and their policies! Like you'll do better when you are in power. Charity begins at home. The mindset of the average Nigerian is the mindset of the government.

That change we so seek starts with me and you. Till we change our personal orientation, we will be stuck In this rut till eternity!

Phewwwww!!! I'm exhausted! I'll be back.
thank u,nice 1,sum pple in this thread dat are sayin nigeria maintenance culture is bad,are u not stil a nigerian?Even the OP dat brought dis topic what change wil u make if u are d president of d country?Sum pple cant even wash their toilet clean but when dis kind of issue arise they wil b d 1st to condemn d govt.As she said.."charity begins at home",sum guys cant even kip demself clean,their hygiene is notin 2 write hum about..Sum of dem wil even dispose refuge on d road afta dey wil kum n blame govt dat d country is not clean,na govt do am?Sum wil even dispose refuge on water chanels den afta blame d govt.Wtf
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 03, 2013
Amya: Ridiculous thread!
Ridiculous poster!
Ridiculous commenters!

What I hate above every other thing here in Nairaland is ridiculous threads like this that almost always make the front page.

Thread that just aim at robbing Nigeria of the little dignity it has left. If Oyinbo castigates Nigeria, you mumu son of the soil will also castigate. This is always spare headed by those diaspora Nigerians that want to use every opportunity to justify their migration to other lands.
Change policies my A**! Who is fooling who? Who is the government? Are they not Nigerians? Can you honestly say you would be different when you get up there to the helm of affairs. How has any of you running your mouths here tried in you own little way to make a change around you. Have any of you engaged in community service just because we believe in the bigger picture? Spend our saturdays sweeping streets as volunteers? Doing good just for the sake of it! We don't do that! Only come to public forums and whine about government and their policies! Like you'll do better when you are in power. Charity begins at home. The mindset of the average Nigerian is the mindset of the government.

That change we so seek starts with me and you. Till we change our personal orientation, we will be stuck In this rut till eternity!

Phewwwww!!! I'm exhausted! I'll be back.
thank u,nice 1,sum pple in this thread dat are sayin nigeria maintenance culture is bad,are u not stil a nigerian?Even the OP dat brought dis topic what change wil u make if u are d president of d country?Sum pple cant even wash their toilet clean but when dis kind of issue arise they wil b d 1st to condemn d govt.As she said.."charity begins at home",sum guys cant even kip demself clean,their hygiene is notin 2 write hum about..Sum of dem wil even dispose refuge on d road afta dey wil kum n blame govt dat d country is not clean,na govt do am?Sum wil even dispose refuge on water chanels n drainages afta blame d govt.Wtf...
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by toshacer: 5:17pm On May 03, 2013
are they not the ones who throw dirt on the roads from their cars?
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Guk: 9:46pm On May 03, 2013
uromi.com:

are you insane if you think to become a leader is has easy as you think why dont you flag up your own party

my bros to rule or to lead is the most difficult job ever in these world so what ever you got from your leaders take it a and stop these houseboy dustbin shit

Its obvious you have never held any position of authority or responsibility & if you continue like this, you would never
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by ewet: 11:40pm On May 03, 2013
Guk:

Its obvious you have never held any position of authority or responsibility & if you continue like this, you would never

Don't mind him.Since he is contented with wht eva the govt givs him,then

He shuld neva run generator in his house as an alternative means to power
He shuld neva send his children to private schools
He shuld neva go to private hospitals when he or his family is sick
He shuld neva travel by air but shuld travel on the roads the govt has provided him
He shuld shuld continue to revel in the lacuna the govt has presented him with.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Visa Rejection: What To Do When Your Application Is Denied? / Victims Of One-Way-Drivers Speak, Share Their Pain / FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.