Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,536 members, 7,837,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Revitalization Of The Igbo Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Revitalization Of The Igbo Language (1111 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Igbo Language And Nigerian Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revitalization Of The Igbo Language by Onyegecha(f): 10:16pm On Apr 30, 2013
Please i will like to know which of the five core Eastern states is doing something concrete about the resuscitation of the Igbo language. There's been a lot of political grandstanding on the matter, but please, kindly volunteer information on what you know is being done by any of the state governors or legislators on this very vital issue. Cheers
Re: Revitalization Of The Igbo Language by ohereiyi: 9:42pm On May 02, 2013
Peter Obi made Igbo mandatory for junior Waec and abolish 'no speaking of vernacular (igbo) in secondary schools in Anambra. Recently some igbo groups have started organsing igbo language lessons in cities like Lagos. Igbo language as a subject must be introduced as a subject in areas with large Igbo population .e.g. Lagos,Kano and FCT. Biko ka government tinye nkuzi igbo na ulo akwukwo nile di n'obodo lagos,Kano na FCT. Igbo channel as an independent channel is overdue on DSTV. If DSTV does not start it soon, am calling on all Igbos to dump them for 1month. That will be a warning. If after another monther they fail to start, we will abort them permamently. Biko zuba Igbo ebe o bula I no. Kwezu unu!
Re: Revitalization Of The Igbo Language by Onyegecha(f): 6:48am On May 03, 2013
Nwanne m, kwusie ya ike. DSTV and other such outfits should be told! Igbo people also need to be galvanized to take such an action. I wish we could get a few wealthy Igbo people to champion the cause and sponsor the campaigns to get Igbo language a slot. I must commend Peter Obi for his strides in Anambra state. For me he comes closest to being the true leader of Ndigbo, though there are still many more things left undone in that area . I urge other political leaders to follow his good example.
Re: Revitalization Of The Igbo Language by EzePromoe: 9:45am On May 03, 2013
ohereiyi: Peter Obi made Igbo mandatory for junior Waec and abolish 'no speaking of vernacular (igbo) in secondary schools in Anambra. Recently some igbo groups have started organsing igbo language lessons in cities like Lagos. Igbo language as a subject must be introduced as a subject in areas with large Igbo population .e.g. Lagos,Kano and FCT. Biko ka government tinye nkuzi igbo na ulo akwukwo nile di n'obodo lagos,Kano na FCT. Igbo channel as an independent channel is overdue on DSTV. If DSTV does not start it soon, am calling on all Igbos to dump them for 1month. That will be a warning. If after another monther they fail to start, we will abort them permamently. Biko zuba Igbo ebe o bula I no. Kwezu unu!
The bolded is crap.
I'm Igbo and i work with DSTV, and I can tell you that Igbo films has the highest airspace on Africa Magic.
Africa Magic Movies which shows mostly rural films with is virtually like an all Igbo channel.
Africa Magic Movies 1 shows films of urban settings which has an Igbo background.
Africa Magic itself films on daily basis is 80% same with Africa Magic World.
Compared to the number of indigenous films produced by the Yoruba and Hausa producers, Igbo producers choose produce English films with Igbo setting rather than Igbo films.
IT'S OK BY ME BECAUSE OUR CULTURES ARE EXPORTED TO ALL AFRICAN COUNTRIES THROUGH IT.
There's no way you can call on all Igbos to boycott DSTV or are you going to entertain them yourself undecided
Re: Revitalization Of The Igbo Language by ohereiyi: 4:40am On May 04, 2013
@eze promo, this thread says 'revitalizing' Igbo language'. Every avenue to teach the spoken and written language should be explored. It is not ok by me to be watching Igbo backgrond films made using English Language. They don't appeal to me. Igbo films made in Igbo language aired in a dedictated indigenius channel for Igbo content is a strong avenue to teach and keep igbo language alive.
Producers, DSTV and actors/actresses should invest in this becuase that is where the future lies. The market for indigenous films in indigenous language is huge and ripe.

That aside, am proud and confident igbo man who speak,read and write Igbo language. Am calling on all Igbos to cherish and speak our language.
Ka anyi jisi ike na asu Igbo n'ezi n'ulo, ulo uka, nzuko na ebe nile.
Ana m akuzi, ka esi ede na asu igbo na gburugbu (yard) ebe m bi na Lagos. Obere oge, a gam ebido kuziwe ya n'ulo uka.

Wealthy Igbos, politicians, parents and all asundry should be concerned and involved. Speak and teach the younger ones Igbo language. It does not bellitle you rather it ascert you identity....o ka oham n' onu...ndewo unu
Re: Revitalization Of The Igbo Language by Onyegecha(f): 8:19pm On May 04, 2013
I agree that Igbo language should be given prominence in all possible avenues including DSTV. OUR LANGUAGE DESERVES MORE THAN A CURSORY MENTION. Surprisingly, even the state-owned media outfits have shown remarkable apathy towards the promotion of Igbo language. What does it tyake to allot eighty percent of airtime to Igbo program? Just a policy statement.

Again, i believe there should be a concerted effort by Igbo leaders to float contests to promote reading, writing and performance in Igbo language.

(1) (Reply)

Horn Of African Men And Alcohol . .horners Can Not Handle Alcohol / Forceful Feeding In Our Culture, Wrong Or Right / Calabar Carnival 2016 Date - Live Update And Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.