Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? (13621 Views)

LOOKING FOR NEW INVESTMENTS IDEAS TO INVEST YOUR MONEY? / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by ihedioramma: 9:48am On May 02, 2013
What are the Stocks you will never put your money in and why?
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by valdubem(m): 12:25pm On May 02, 2013
I think you should start by telling us yours
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Seun(m): 12:42pm On May 02, 2013
Nigerian banks and Nigerian insurance companies. Their finances are too complicated and this makes it easy for them to cover up losses and fraud for many years while appearing profitable to investors. Also, they are too dependent on the Nigerian government; this makes their fortunes dependent on the government's unpredictable policies.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by ihedioramma: 2:30pm On May 02, 2013
more pls.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by gen2briz(m): 3:34pm On May 02, 2013
Am very sure this thread won't last long but if na tonto decay you go see traffic. ...

@Op I guess na nitel stock ooo

why....I can't categorically tell you one now

4 Likes

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by alfredo4u(m): 3:39pm On May 02, 2013
phcn
y - because dey r not delivering

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by DICKtator: 3:43pm On May 02, 2013
The Sanusilised financial sector
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by slyk2(m): 3:47pm On May 02, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]

The stock deals are not for every comer.
You just have to go with a given stock that is suitable to your financial plan.
Insurance and lots of other low cap stocks are suitable for long term investor.

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by jamace(m): 3:51pm On May 02, 2013
Just like politics, so is stock investing. There is no permanent friend only permanent interest. If the fortune of a stock changes for good, I will go for it. If the fortune changes for bad, I will abandon it. Thats all. grin grin
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by seunfly: 3:53pm On May 02, 2013
With what is going on in Nigeria stock exchange right now, i will not go 4 insurance, foods(tantaliser etc) and probably some banks.
Due to gov policy i will go for Agric stock 4 short term anyway.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 02, 2013
Seun, i agree with you. Esp, that insurance companies.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Idango(m): 4:11pm On May 02, 2013
I am not putting a kobo on any stock now, i lost up to N11 Million in 2008/2009. I took a margin facility with my own equity intact. When the market crashed, the entire stock has not enough value to payback (including my equity-life savings). My brother, let stock rest for now. It is funny because i m still working, if it happened when i m retired, na die be that o.

3 Likes

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 02, 2013
Any stock offered by the Nigerian stock exchange. cry
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by manie(m): 4:18pm On May 02, 2013
I will not touch an Insurance stock.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by fittty(m): 4:20pm On May 02, 2013
Stock fish! cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Milikiman: 4:24pm On May 02, 2013
forever i can neva buy naija stock.i prefer real estate law of diminishin return neva set in.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by chessguru1(m): 4:29pm On May 02, 2013
fittty: Stock fish! cheesy
grin I have been expecting someone to say dis for ages

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by goodnice: 4:32pm On May 02, 2013
Pls I need some help. I hv this stocks that I want to sell but I don't not any how to go about it. Can somebody direct me?
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by vedaxcool(m): 4:33pm On May 02, 2013
[size=28pt]Nairaland!!!![/size]

grin grin grin grin
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Elai147: 4:36pm On May 02, 2013
I will never purchase shares of companies that are not financially stable or has any tendency of future acquisition by another company in the same sector. I lost my 100,000 units of Bank PHB shares due to AMCON acquisition. My 122,000 units of Oceanic Bank shares has now turned to 6,100 units of ETI due to the recent acquisition of oceanic bank by Ecobank Transnational Incorporated.

I will also not buy more shares from insurance sector for now. The Nigerian economy is expanding but this sector is underachieving due lack of exposure of individuals to the sector. Most individuals and businesses are not obtaining insurance coverage compared to the way insurance companies are being patronised in the western world hence, the reason for their underachievement. My opinion..

2 Likes

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by manie(m): 4:39pm On May 02, 2013
Elai147: I will never purchase shares of companies that are not financially stable or has any tendency of future acquisition by another company in the same sector. I lost my 100,000 units of Bank PHB shares due to AMCON acquisition. My 122,000 units of Oceanic Bank shares has now turned to 6,100 units of ETI due to the recent acquisition of oceanic bank by Ecobank Transnational Incorporated.

I will also not buy more shares from insurance sector for now. The Nigerian economy is expanding but this sector is underachieving due lack of exposure of individuals to the sector. Most individuals and businesses are not obtaining insurance coverage compared to the way insurance companies are being patronised in the western world hence, the reason for their underachievement. My opinion..

The insurance sector needs to win the trust of Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 02, 2013
other than premium portfolios like MNET and whenever the Telecoms decided to cash in on the stock market, I won't put a dime in any of the current SEC quoted coys other than Cadbury. Banks you should avoid at all cost as the industry is populated by criminals. Avoid oil coys because of the instability and lack of transparency in the sector.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 02, 2013
ihedioramma: What are the Stocks you will never put your money in and why?

scamemer why would you redirect us to a forex trading scam site. I have never met any single person who made it on FX.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Elai147: 4:49pm On May 02, 2013
Seun: Nigerian banks and Nigerian insurance companies. Their finances are too complicated and this makes it easy for them to cover up losses and fraud for many years while appearing profitable to investors. Also, they are too dependent on the Nigerian government; this makes their fortunes dependent on the government's unpredictable policies.

Bros, I think if the banks can cover up their losses and appear profitable to investors, other companies can do the same. Nigeria is a country where anything can happen and so one should expect that some of these companies may falsify their records with great care in order to avoid being caught but at least they should live up to the expectations of the investors. I do not expect 100% transparency in the Nigeria Stock Exchange market. Even the western world do not have 100% transparency. So this should not stop us from investing in the stock exchange market.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Elai147: 4:51pm On May 02, 2013
manie:

The insurance sector needs to win the trust of Nigerians.

Seconded!
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Habybullah(m): 4:54pm On May 02, 2013
Idango: I am not putting a kobo on any stock now, i lost up to N11 Million in 2008/2009. I took a margin facility with my own equity intact. When the market crashed, the entire stock has not enough value to payback (including my equity-life savings). My brother, let stock rest for now. It is funny because i m still working, if it happened when i m retired, na die be that o.
sorry fr ur lost sire! Wish u can elaborate further so we fit learn frm ur experience an explanation on the meaning of some these financial terms would b apreciated sire!

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by adebiyikayode5: 4:59pm On May 02, 2013
No one now becos of the educated Pen robber in suit

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by sixteen08(m): 5:07pm On May 02, 2013
good-nice:
Pls I need some help. I hv this stocks that I want to sell but I don't not any how to go about it. Can somebody direct me?

You'll need a stockbroker,find one(a very good one) and you'll be home and dry.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 02, 2013
Their new scam now is to avoid paying out dividends and due to an obscure law unclaimed dividends after a specific period are reinvested into a SEC fund. The SEC regulators, company mangers are all scammers. They will offer useless share offers to have you never claim physical cash.

Avoid them like the plague. Put your money into small scale farming like poultry, fisheries. You will be amazed at the returns you get for your effort and small cash investments. With 500,000 you can start a small scale poultry within your neighbhood and in 3 mths make a minimum profit return of 80%. No stock will giiven you such return.

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by sixteen08(m): 5:14pm On May 02, 2013
Elai147: I will never purchase shares of companies that are not financially stable or has any tendency of future acquisition by another company in the same sector. I lost my 100,000 units of Bank PHB shares due to AMCON acquisition. My 122,000 units of Oceanic Bank shares has now turned to 6,100 units of ETI due to the recent acquisition of oceanic bank by Ecobank Transnational Incorporated.

Good perspective....
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by onitshaigbo(m): 5:17pm On May 02, 2013
Nigerian stocks in general. I would never invest in them. No transparency, no accountability, no rule of law. It's pure gambling.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG's Savings Bond September Offer Closes 7th September / Understanding BITCOIN And It's Investment Opportunities / Financial Lessons We Can Learn From Warren Buffet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.