Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? (13620 Views)

LOOKING FOR NEW INVESTMENTS IDEAS TO INVEST YOUR MONEY? / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by mikedore: 5:42pm On May 02, 2013
OK_2_NV: Their new scam now is to avoid paying out dividends and due to an obscure law unclaimed dividends after a specific period are reinvested into a SEC fund. The SEC regulators, company mangers are all scammers. They will offer useless share offers to have you never claim physical cash.

Avoid them like the plague. Put your money into small scale farming like poultry, fisheries. You will be amazed at the returns you get for your effort and small cash investments. With 500,000 you can start a small scale poultry within your neighbhood and in 3 mths make a minimum profit return of 80%. No stock will giiven you such return.
God bless u. For dat very true statement.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by goodnice: 6:35pm On May 02, 2013
Does anyone knows any STOCK-BROKER? I went to Zenith bank they could not help.. I really need to dispose this stock.. Pls help me
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by manie(m): 6:42pm On May 02, 2013
OK_2_NV: Their new scam now is to avoid paying out dividends and due to an obscure law unclaimed dividends after a specific period are reinvested into a SEC fund. The SEC regulators, company mangers are all scammers. They will offer useless share offers to have you never claim physical cash.

Avoid them like the plague. Put your money into small scale farming like poultry, fisheries. You will be amazed at the returns you get for your effort and small cash investments. With 500,000 you can start a small scale poultry within your neighbhood and in 3 mths make a minimum profit return of 80%. No stock will giiven you such return.

Can you give us a breakdown of how you intend to make 80% return on your poultry farm. Yours truly is a stock market investor, real estate investor and an entrepreneur with diverse interest in various fields including agriculture and animal husbandry.

Did you include feeding cost of your birds, salaries of workers, land rent, local government levy, energy cost, medicine and vaccination for your birds, marketing expenses etc. When you calculate all these you will find 0out that you can not make a return of 80%, and do not forget that diseases like bird flu, pneumonia etc can kill all your birds in 72 hours.

A poultry farmer with investment in stocks, can use his stocks as a collateral for the expansion of his farm. With just 30,000 units of FBN shares you can easily assess a loan of over 400k for the expansion of your poultry business.

1 Like

Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by manie(m): 6:52pm On May 02, 2013
good-nice:
Does anyone knows any STOCK-BROKER? I went to Zenith bank they could not help.. I really need to dispose this stock.. Pls help me

Are you based in Lagos Nigeria, if yes I will recommend brokers to you.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by theripper3: 7:02pm On May 02, 2013
The whole stock tin just sounds convoluted to me. Until I have someone trusted who can thoroughly break down the tin for me. I no dey o.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Dnistelro: 7:08pm On May 02, 2013
[quote author=Idango]I am not putting a kobo on any stock now, i lost up to N11 Million in 2008/2009. I took a margin facility with my own equity intact. When the market crashed, the entire stock has not enough value to payback (including my equity-life savings). My brother, let stock rest for now. It is funny because i m still working, if it happened when i m retired, na die be that o.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Dnistelro: 7:15pm On May 02, 2013
Idango: I am not putting a kobo on any stock now, i lost up to N11 Million in 2008/2009. I took a margin facility with my own equity intact. When the market crashed, the entire stock has not enough value to payback (including my equity-life savings). My brother, let stock rest for now. It is funny because i m still working, if it happened when i m retired, na die be that o.
hmmmm 11 wetin ? Pure lie
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 02, 2013
manie:

Can you give us a breakdown of how you intend to make 80% return on your poultry farm. Yours truly is a stock market investor, real estate investor and an entrepreneur with diverse interest in various fields including agriculture and animal husbandry.

Did you include feeding cost of your birds, salaries of workers, land rent, local government levy, energy cost, medicine and vaccination for your birds, marketing expenses etc. When you calculate all these you will find 0out that you can not make a return of 80%, and do not forget that diseases like bird flu, pneumonia etc can kill all your birds in 72 hours.

A poultry farmer with investment in stocks, can use his stocks as a collateral for the expansion of his farm. With just 30,000 units of FBN shares you can easily assess a loan of over 400k for the expansion of your poultry business.

small scale, not everyone has the wad like you and by the way stock certificates have never been used as loan collateral in banks. I know of a bank turning down their own shares as collateral prior to the stock bust.

Chickens occupy less space and feeds need not be bought also there are vaccines. A friend of mine had 200 brioler chics bought at 100 naira a piece, housed in a make shift stall in his backyard that he fed meals he sourced himself at approximately 10 -15,000 a month. He sold about 120 for approximately 1,500 a piece. The rest he ate and cheerfully gave out. Mind you this was no business venture but a leisure activity.

By the way you sound like a stock broker.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Peterwins(m): 7:24pm On May 02, 2013
D-nistelro:

Really!!! Some people (investors) lost more than that in the market burst.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by igbanbajo(m): 7:26pm On May 02, 2013
[quote author=D-nistelro][/quote]
It may not be a lie, my dear. I personally lost 18m. And I know people who lost a lot more than that. Thankfully we're not in retirement yet, it would've meant catastrophy.
Alhamdulillah we still have good health and we're doing well today.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Idango(m): 7:30pm On May 02, 2013
Habybullah: sorry fr ur lost sire! Wish u can elaborate further so we fit learn frm ur experience an explanation on the meaning of some these financial terms would b apreciated sire!

The market crashed heavily in 2009, a stock like UBA for instance was bought at N60 with the expectation that it will get to N80. When market crashed it got to as low as N8, this is just one out of many, all the insurance stock got to the minimum price of 50k. You dont have a problem if you bought everything with your own money because u can wait for as long as it takes, but if you borrowed the money from your broker or a bank, you are in soup. They will sell all your stock including the ones you did not buy with their money and ask you to go and bring the balance from any where. Borrowed funds contaminate your portfolio.

If you must trade equity, no matter the stock you buy, don't borrow to buy stock !
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by sixteen08(m): 7:31pm On May 02, 2013
OK_2_NV:

small scale, not everyone has the wad like you and by the way stock certificates have never been used as loan collateral in banks. I know of a bank turning down their own shares as collateral prior to the stock bust.

Chickens occupy less space and feeds need not be bought also there are vaccines. A friend of mine had 200 brioler chics bought at 100 naira a piece, housed in a make shift stall in his backyard that he fed meals he sourced himself at approximately 10 -15,000 a month. He sold about 120 for approximately 1,500 a piece. The rest he ate and cheerfully gave out. Mind you this was no business venture but a leisure activity.

By the way you sound like a stock broker.

This your analysis no easy like you portray it to be ooo....when all hands dey on deck the thing no be play play oooo

these days that every tom,dick and harry is clamouring for entrepreneurship/self employment when in actual fact most people are not dilligent enough even in the basic affairs of life.... stocks/shares, poultry business and every other self-employed/entrepreneurship business is not meant for lazy people. If a man is dilligent in whatever he does he'll be profitable.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by chitexy: 7:42pm On May 02, 2013
D-nistelro:
. It happens. What happened to people that bought transcorp's share? They lost there money, I cannot categorically tell u the year but it should be around 2006/2007 that's all.

Idango: I am not putting a kobo on any stock
now, i lost up to N11 Million in 2008/2009. I took a
margin facility with my own equity intact. When
the market crashed, the entire stock has not
enough value to payback (including my equity-life
savings). My brother, let stock rest for now. It is
funny because i m still working, if it happened
when i m retired, na die be that o.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 02, 2013
sixteen08:

This your analysis no easy like you portray it to be ooo....when all hands dey on deck the thing no be play play oooo

these days that every tom,dick and harry is clamouring for entrepreneurship/self employment when in actual fact most people are not dilligent enough even in the basic affairs of life.... stocks/shares, poultry business and every other self-employed/entrepreneurship business is not meant for lazy people. If a man is dilligent in whatever he does he'll be profitable.

There is a reason why Nigeria is termed underdeveloped because most of the resources and economic opportunities are under developed. I will rather take my chance on some birds than hand over my hand earned money to some fleece dudes.

I lost total and all confidence with the SEC when it allowed Transcorp float shares in the stock market less than 8mths of the company being floated. The banks are no good either if only there were vault facilities in Nigeria I would have suggested that Nigerians put their money in safety deposit boxes since the banks give little or nothing on savings and your hard cash may end up helping buying somebody a private jet. Operating a business/current account is also stoopid since the banks will charge you at every opportunity for operating one and will only give you a business loan at 26%.

The atrocities of these bankers and investment jobbers came to a height when OBJ retired civil servants and have a course seminar held for them in Abuja only to have bankers and stock brokers take all their severance pay in a hope of tripling it.
Then there is the insider trading, shares manipulation and false accounting.

In short coprate Nigeria is criminal if not more than the politicians.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by zobay(m): 7:45pm On May 02, 2013
There are good stocks to invest in, if you really want to invest not greedy. Nigerians-including myself lost money cos of fear and greed.
For instance you have N2million to invest and want a turnover of N3million in 6months, in as much as this is possible so also the N2millon can turn to N500,000 in 1 year-N2m turn to N1.8m in first 3months fear n greed cud nt allow u sell next 3 months 1.2m like that till N500k.

If u want to invest draw your plan 'wat do i want' investing or trading or both
Get a good stock broker- question is how do u know or get a broker?

I gat to go
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by sixteen08(m): 7:52pm On May 02, 2013
Idango:
If you must trade equity, no matter the stock you buy, don't borrow to buy stock !

Aye!!!
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 02, 2013
..zobay:
There are good stocks to invest in, if you really want to invest not greedy. Nigerians-including myself lost money cos of fear and greed.
For instance you have N2million to invest and want a turnover of N3million in 6months, in as much as this is possible so also the N2millon can turn to N500,000 in 1 year-N2m turn to N1.8m in first 3months fear n greed cud nt allow u sell next 3 months 1.2m like that till N500k.

If u want to invest draw your plan 'wat do i want' investing or trading or both
Get a good stock broker- question is how do u know or get a broker?

I gat to go

sounds just like gambling.

Stock market first started in old England where gentlemen will gather around the city square and place bets on which Monarch or royal will die before the year's end. Insurance was started as a betting on which merchant venture will be successful on return. In short, today's corporate world was started by a bunch of spoilt, lazy and layabout aristocrats.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by sixteen08(m): 7:59pm On May 02, 2013
OK_2_NV:

There is a reason why Nigeria is termed underdeveloped because most of the resources and economic opportunities are under developed. I will rather take my chance on some birds than hand over my hand earned money to some fleece dudes.

I lost total and all confidence with the SEC when it allowed Transcorp float shares in the stock market less than 8mths of the company being floated. The banks are no good either if only there were vault facilities in Nigeria I would have suggested that Nigerians put their money in safety deposit boxes since the banks give little or nothing on savings and your hard cash may end up helping buying somebody a private jet. Operating a business/current account is also stoopid since the banks will charge you at every opportunity for operating one and will only give you a business loan at 26%.

The atrocities of these bankers and investment jobbers came to a height when OBJ retired civil servants and have a course seminar held for them in Abuja only to have bankers and stock brokers take all their severance pay in a hope of tripling it.
Then there is the insider trading, shares manipulation and false accounting.

In short coprate Nigeria is criminal if not more than the politicians.

I totally agree with your submissions.....God saved me from cornerstone insurance,dunlop,transcorp,daar communications and some other 2005-2007 IPOs but some other ones managed to flog me(dangote sugar,wapic insurance,zenithbank sef flog me small) anyway am still going back into the market very soon but am gonna be going in with my 2 eyes fully shined grincheesygrin
God help us all
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by ManOfThePeople(m): 8:23pm On May 02, 2013
I burnt my fingers badly with Union Bank stock.
All those talk of Union Bank has lots of fixed asset na wash.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Idango(m): 8:26pm On May 02, 2013
D-nistelro:

What are you saying, that 11m is too small or too big to loose?
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 02, 2013
I purchased an Insurance stock,it crashed, as if dats not enough, for more than 4yrs going, no dividends or bonus for shareholders. I have placed a sale order for months now,my stockbroker is yet to get a buyer.
I also purchased shares of Zenith Equity Fund during their initial public offer(2007),till date the shares is yet to be listed on the floor of the market. I recently sold it at a paltry profit of 7% after all these yrs. The activities of the fund is shrouded in secrecy. Jim Ovia is really making a hell of money from shareholders fund.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Dnistelro: 8:40pm On May 02, 2013
Idango:

What are you saying, that 11m is too small or too big to loose?
not too big, i tink say u wan try f*rm hahahahaha sori sir
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Elai147: 8:49pm On May 02, 2013
Idango:

The market crashed heavily in 2009, a stock like UBA for instance was bought at N60 with the expectation that it will get to N80. When market crashed it got to as low as N8, this is just one out of many, all the insurance stock got to the minimum price of 50k. You dont have a problem if you bought everything with your own money because u can wait for as long as it takes, but if you borrowed the money from your broker or a bank, you are in soup. They will sell all your stock including the ones you did not buy with their money and ask you to go and bring the balance from any where. Borrowed funds contaminate your portfolio.

Lolxxxx you are very correct. It is not a good investment practice to buy stocks with borrowed funds. In fact, I only invest with money that, if the worst happens, I will stil be living well as I was.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by DisGuy: 8:51pm On May 02, 2013
Daar Communications

come to think of it, any stock exchange that allows this company onto its bourse should not be taken seriously cheesy
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by ihedioramma: 8:59pm On May 02, 2013
OK_2_NV:

scamemer why would you redirect us to a forex trading scam site. I have never met any single person who made it on FX.
PLS AM NOT. WHAT WE ARE TALKING HERE IS ABOUT NIGERIAN STOCK MARKET AND NEVER FX .
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Elai147: 9:02pm On May 02, 2013
Dis Guy: Daar Communications

come to think of it, any stock exchange that allows this company onto its bourse should not be taken serious cheesy

Is Daar Communications shares still existing? I doubt.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by sixteen08(m): 9:07pm On May 02, 2013
Dis Guy: Daar Communications

come to think of it, any stock exchange that allows this company onto its bourse should not be taken serious cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by ihedioramma: 9:10pm On May 02, 2013
[quote author=Elai147]

Bros, I think if the banks can cover up their losses and appear profitable to investors, other companies can do the same. Nigeria is a country where anything can happen and so one should expect that some of these companies may falsify their records with great care in order to avoid being caught but at least they should live up to the expectations of the investors, Good one my brother, i lost money in bank phb,afribank,costain e.t.c bout i did not stop there today UBA has pay me all
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Massddweapons: 9:11pm On May 02, 2013
D-nistelro:
He may not be lieing, i lost 8 million naira in stock during 2007- till date and if i calculate the whole stocks at its present prices as of today, the stocks i brought then may not reach a million naira in value as of today. in short, i do not want to remember anything about stocks for now, to avoid heart attack.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by Elai147: 9:21pm On May 02, 2013
[quote author=ihedioramma][/quote]

That is the spirit! We can always recuperate our losses from other good stocks instead of giving up easily.
Re: Stocks You Will Never Invest Your Money In And Why? by bidexolumanish(m): 9:38pm On May 02, 2013
fittty: Stock fish! cheesy
same noni,na stock start am bt fish cum end am.i no fit laugh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Forex Journey / Understanding BITCOIN And It's Investment Opportunities / FG's Savings Bond September Offer Closes 7th September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.