Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,244 members, 7,836,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London (10003 Views)

25 Youth Corp Members Dismissed In Jigawa Camp / Ibori’s Conviction Is A Private Matter – Delta State Govt / James Ibori Conviction: Nigerian Judicial System & EFCC Should Be Ashamed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Naijaryder: 1:28pm On May 02, 2013
An appeal filed by the imprisoned former governor of Delta State, James Onanefe Ibori to have his prison term slashed was dismissed today in London.

Two justices of the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand in London stated that the appeal lacked merit and thus dismissed it, therefore affirming the 13 year prison sentenced handed the former governor for stealing and money laundering. Ibori and members of his political inner circle embezzled over $250 million from the coffers of Delta State between 1999 and 2007.

Several supporters of Mr. Ibori wearing T-shirts calling for his freedom left the court premises disappointed. Mr. Ibori was not brought to court.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/iboris-conviction-appeal-dismissed-london

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by coputa(m): 3:38pm On May 02, 2013
This ibori's case was a collective collaboration against the niger Delta struggke which he champions....among all the criminals in and outside government,why was he the only one convicted,.....the judiciary in the united kingdom are bias....how many criminals still live in their country,unmolested......

5 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Gbawe: 3:49pm On May 02, 2013
coputa: This ibori's case was a collective collaboration against the niger Delta struggke which he champions....among all the criminals in and outside government,why was he the only one convicted,.....the judiciary in the united kingdom are bias....how many criminals still live in their country,unmolested......

Of course it is. They discriminate against those from the Niger Delta. Simply show up in a UK Court as a Niger Deltan and you are sure to get a more severe sentence than would have been handed to a Yoruba or Hausa Nigerian. It is the same in the USA, France and Germany too. In fact the worldwide discrimination against the Niger Delta is condemnable.

@Topic.

Expected outcome. Ibori has no legal ground to stand on.

17 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by gilmaro(m): 4:14pm On May 02, 2013
Ibori should just rest and finish his prison term instead of seeking appeal he knows would not work, we all know he is not †ђξ only criminal in †ђξ niger delta, but his stubbornness and unquenchable quest for power has landed him where he is 2day.

1 Like

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by automaticcarzz: 4:16pm On May 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Of course it is. They discriminate against those from the Niger Delta. Simply show up in a UK Court as a Niger Deltan and you are sure to get a more severe sentence than would have been handed to a Yoruba or Hausa Nigerian. It is the same in the USA, France and Germany too. In fact the worldwide discrimination against the Niger Delta is condemnable.

@Topic.

Expected outcome. Ibori has no legal ground to stand on.

They always believe Nigerdeltans should be left alone when they commit graft. Don't mind these people (Nigerdeltans) who think they are victims. I have one of them as friend who used to live with us when we were in Abuja in year 2000. The guy came from River State and was posted to serve in Kebbi. He had no place to live in Kebbi and an Hausa man who happened to be my friends brother took him in into his house in Birnin kebbi to help him. The man is brother to now Senator Atiku Bagudu currently serving. Atiku Bagudu was Abacha's right hand man when it came to hiding money overseas. He lived with the guy for 10 months without any problem. When he came to Abuja, he would be talking about how Hausas are so bad in the way they deprived them the right to rule Nigeria as Nigeria only survive on the money realised from their oil.

Let's fast forward to today. The guy hates Hausa's including the Hausa man who took him in to help him when he was posted to Kebbi as a young medical graduate. The guy does not talk to me anymore because I said on facebook that Jonathan is not performing well as President. This is the same Jonathan that my whole family voted for. I am Yoruba by the way.

3 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Demdem(m): 4:25pm On May 02, 2013
Chai, how I wish someone can just crate Alams to UK or close to the island.

6 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by ninja4life(m): 9:02pm On May 02, 2013
automaticcarzz:

They always believe Nigerdeltans should be left alone when they commit graft. Don't mind these people (Nigerdeltans) who think they are victims. I have one of them as friend who used to live with us when we were in Abuja in year 2000. The guy came from River State and was posted to serve in Kebbi. He had no place to live in Kebbi and an Hausa man who happened to be my friends brother took him in into his house in Birnin kebbi to help him. The man is brother to now Senator Atiku Bagudu currently serving. Atiku Bagudu was Abacha's right hand man when it came to hiding money overseas. He lived with the guy for 10 months without any problem. When he came to Abuja, he would be talking about how Hausas are so bad in the way they deprived them the right to rule Nigeria as Nigeria only survive on the money realised from their oil.

Let's fast forward to today. The guy hates Hausa's including the Hausa man who took him in to help him when he was posted to Kebbi as a young medical graduate. The guy does not talk to me anymore because I said on facebook that Jonathan is not performing well as President. This is the same Jonathan that my whole family voted for. I am Yoruba by the way.
such is d reality in nigeria where people base their judgement on sentiment imagine a graduate not just dat a medical doctor with dat mentality then we have a long way to go in dis country.if u ask him wat gej has done to affect him positively whether in his profession or infrastructural development i'm sure he wont have anything to say,and dis is sad cos with dis mentality we have a long way to go in dis country.

5 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by jmoore(m): 9:08pm On May 02, 2013

Several supporters of Mr. Ibori wearing T-shirts calling for his freedom left the court premises disappointed.

grin grin even devil got his supporters

3 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by DJDOLA(m): 9:11pm On May 02, 2013
Ibori no be dat govnor wey steel our money be that..

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Temismith(f): 9:14pm On May 02, 2013
Naija! I hail thee!
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by nairaman66(m): 9:15pm On May 02, 2013
automaticcarzz:

Not everyone from Niger Delta holds the above view!! I believe to each his own.

4 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Evestar200(f): 9:17pm On May 02, 2013
Oh ibori,,d best governor delta state has eva produce

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by gysl1973: 9:22pm On May 02, 2013
automaticcarzz:

And you think a youruba, hausa igbo man or other tribe would not the same? my friend grow up, that one man from Niger/delta has behaved so does not mean everyone is in support of GEJ, just like you an hausa man who would not vote for buhari, you need to grow up my friend

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Soso990240(m): 9:23pm On May 02, 2013
Bcaus he is a nigerian..dm no born dm well 2 dismiss american appeal like dat.

1 Like

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Soso990240(m): 9:24pm On May 02, 2013
Bcaus he is a nigerian..dm no born dm well 2 dismiss american appeal like dat..
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by ifemiide: 9:27pm On May 02, 2013
good news, the london court is unlike nigeria court where what is stupid can appear wise

1 Like

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Emiru(m): 9:29pm On May 02, 2013
[b] So, what do we learn from this?

All of you drawing conclusions from arrant presumptions nd assumptions made to 1 or 2 pesins shud undrstnd dah we are all human. The fact dat som1 waz blinded by blood nd luv 4 his locality nt to see d rungs done by their people in power, shouldnt be read dah everybdy are lyk dat. It depends on ur approach, besides we are all criticizing GEJ...buh to be sincere, we all prayed and voted, hoped nd think he is d future of Nigeria's success right??

Now why complaining, life itz all abt lot...when ur trust falls on d wrong pesin, u don't shout nd run ur tommy becos it can't be changed. You jez av to wait patiently nd pray 2 God dah u dnt make dah mistake again. Besides no1 expected dah GEJ wuld be as he prove 2 b now, based on certain conclusions. Hiterto, there are thousands, if not millions out dier dah still love GEJ and think he nid some time to settle down. Others think he is doing something great, while you fink he is a failure right?

As d saying goes, ONE MAN'S GAIN IS ANODA MAN'S LOST..nd it has bin interpreted in many ways.

@topic

When dis guy called Ibori was stealing our money without sympathy, he was being applauded by many and called "SHARP GUY" . Even when d present Oga at d stealing zone in Delta State d oda time, embezled billions nd waz caught, he den quickly adjust himsef saying he waz 2 use dem 4 buses nd oda means of communication (dah waz a divine intervention dough, it waz a good luck on awa side. Thought d management av bin sold awt as at now) . He waz shund and was named "a dullard" becos he waznt as sharp as Ibori. Now the brain, and one of d most intelligent críminals called James_Ibori is in rottin in prison all of u ar trying to show sympathy, when d going was good he didnt stop becos he finkz he can neva be outsmarted. He brought everyone dah waz 2 stand on his way 2 nufin, and u all fink its partiality 2 d Niger Delta bla bla bla. Well we can try an experiment, ur governor shud undergo d same thefery with Ibori and lets see who will get the highest numba of Years in cell! [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by rusher14: 9:31pm On May 02, 2013
automaticcarzz:

They don't speak for Niger Deltans and most definitely not for Deltans.
They are corrupt Nigerians, perhaps from the Niger Delta who cannot make a honest living.
They cannot understand that if you work hard in life, are smart in your actions and decisions then providence has little choice but to reward you.
I for one wish the criminal was given an even heavier sentence.

1 Like

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Ayoobscom(m): 10:03pm On May 02, 2013
This is why Nigeria cannot move forward a thief is caught and jailed it doesn't matter anymore where he hails and some annoying potential thieves are here shouting victimization

Nansense...the mentality of Nigerians is the spring of their woes

6 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by 50calibre(m): 10:05pm On May 02, 2013
coputa: This ibori's case was a collective collaboration against the niger Delta struggke which he champions....among all the criminals in and outside government,why was he the only one convicted,.....the judiciary in the united kingdom are bias....how many criminals still live in their country,unmolested......

Wonderful! So you believe there is a conspiracy against the Niger delta, the judicial system in Britain is completely independent of the government, they hold no bias towards anyone or anything. They even go against the government at times if need be, unlike the judicial system in Nigeria that has the government pulling the strings behind the curtain.

If Ibori had solid grounds for appeal, he would have been granted. Judges or magistrates don't just come into court with pre-conceived opinions, they look at available reasons and evidence and after proper deliberation, return a decision.

We should be grateful to the UK courts, for convicting a man who was once cleared by a Nigerian court.

5 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by gerald09(m): 10:12pm On May 02, 2013
Na wa oh UK if u people really do care for Nigerians Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ hav a lot of govt officials to arrest oh cos if una live am to Nigerian Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ will eventually Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ will start raising criminals from the ages of 4. Cos the president keeps releasing or giving dem extremely light sentences. And now looting is a game btw the govt the more u loot the more freedom u get. So dem dey loot am nw in trillions cos billions is so 90s.

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by anishe(m): 10:12pm On May 02, 2013
ifemiide: good news, the london court is unlike nigeria court where what is stupid can appear wise

UK this is unfair. If a Red card is appealed in the English Premiership and the appeal is dismissed, an additional one match ban is added to the initial three match ban. As Ibori appeal is dismissed, I expect an additional sentencing to the initial 13 year imprisonment. UK this is grossly unfair. I had expected an additional 7 year sentencing to make it twenty years behind bars for the Niger delta criminal.

11 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by idriis: 10:14pm On May 02, 2013
DJDOLA: Ibori no be dat govnor wey steel our money be that..
Na the thief be that from niger delta...
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by slimfit1(m): 10:16pm On May 02, 2013
I like yoruba people once you are found in a dirty act you loss respect not to even talk about support.
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by anishe(m): 10:24pm On May 02, 2013
UK this is unfair. If a Red card is appealed in the English Premiership and the appeal is dismissed, an additional one match ban is added to the initial three match ban. As Ibori appeal is dismissed, I expect an additional sentencing to the initial 13 year imprisonment. UK this is grossly unfair. I had expected an additional 7 year sentencing to make it twenty years behind bars for the Niger delta criminal.

1 Like

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by oseiwe(m): 10:28pm On May 02, 2013
Out of 36 govs, Ibori is d only one in jail. Wen Alams was caught in d UK, FGN arranged for his retrieval. D crime Ibori is accused of does not warrant his sentence.
If u hv seen delta of 1998 and delta of 2006, u wld agree dat he is d best gov delta has produced for nw. Check d state nw, Uduaghan has grounded it and given it to his 12 disciples.
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Igholize(m): 10:29pm On May 02, 2013
DJDOLA: Ibori no be dat govnor wey steel our money be that..
. Yes ooooo , na d thief b dat oooo...mak e surfa welwel.. Him na oleh
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by 9jawikileaks(m): 10:30pm On May 02, 2013
u must be unpatriotic to say this tho... which foolish struggle for niger delta did he champion, is it by buying houses in dubai and southafrica that he led the niger delta strugle, mehn allow d thief to spend his jail term...

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 02, 2013
Don't worry Effc is waiting for Uduaghan tenure to finish... as soon as he step down he will something..
oseiwe: Out of 36 govs, Ibori is d only one in jail. Wen Alams was caught in d UK, FGN arranged for his retrieval. D crime Ibori is accused of does not warrant his sentence.
If u hv seen delta of 1998 and delta of 2006, u wld agree dat he is d best gov delta has produced for nw. Check d state nw, Uduaghan has grounded it and given it to his 12 disciples.
Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 02, 2013
automaticcarzz:

The average Nigerian ---born and raised in Nigeria--- is mentally unstable, devoid of thinking critically or seeing anything past Religion or tribe. This character is even worse if the person grew up outside of Western/Midwestern Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London by rusher14: 10:45pm On May 02, 2013
oseiwe: Out of 36 govs, Ibori is d only one in jail. Wen Alams was caught in d UK, FGN arranged for his retrieval. D crime Ibori is accused of does not warrant his sentence.
Did he loot the treasury or not?
Even he pled guilty to the charges.
If the others are looting let us do our best to ensure they are convicted as well.
Justice has to start somewhere.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ / Former Speaker, Agbakoba, Balewa, Awolowo Lead Pt's Olawepo Hashim's Campaign / Goodluck Jonathan Not Yet Our Member - Bayelsa APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.